homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christianity is basically about . . . (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Christianity is basically about . . .
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A FB status:
quote:

She: Christianity is basically about being a good person, isn't it?

Me: No.

She: Oh.

So what's wrong with this view? What's right with it?

Seems to me you could argue it's too concerned with a works based salvation. Yet it's quite easy to argue it the other way - theosis, abundant life, true humanity in faith and in Christ etc.

What do you think Christianity is basically about?*

(*please try keep it to a one liner, preferably in contemporary, simple language - you know - for us normal people)

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You're all ratbags, but you're forgiven anyway, so go and act in the same generous way to everyone else.

PS - I'll be back to check you're not using this as an excuse to be a complete bastard."

[ 11. June 2013, 13:20: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christianity is basically about being a follower of Jesus Christ and this is evidenced by a life which is characterised by the things which he taught and modeled.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christianity is basically about Jesus.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The belief that Jesus Christ was unique among people, in terms of his relation to the divine.

I tried to write that to make it as theologically inclusive as possible, while still maintaining the historical singularity of Jesus.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
Christianity is basically about being a follower of Jesus Christ and this is evidenced by a life which is characterised by the things which he taught and modeled.

Sounds like a description of being a "good person" to me. Could you be so described if you didn't follow Jesus Christ "through whom all things were made"?

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Its the claim that Jesus is somehow God that is distinctive abotu Christianity.

If you were to drop that then what would be left would be a Jewish sect that doesn;t require gentile converts to keep kosher. (Which is probably more or less what most Christians were in the first few decades anyway) Or maybe an ulta-liberal version of Islam without the Arabic cultural baggage.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Yes. Its the claim that Jesus is somehow God that is distinctive abotu Christianity.

If you were to drop that then what would be left would be a Jewish sect that doesn;t require gentile converts to keep kosher. (Which is probably more or less what most Christians were in the first few decades anyway) Or maybe an ulta-liberal version of Islam without the Arabic cultural baggage.

Maybe the former, a Jewish sect, but not a version of Islam since Muhammad was a complete asshole.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Hairy biker:
Sounds like a description of being a "good person" to me. Could you be so described if you didn't follow Jesus Christ "through whom all things were made"?

Ah the perils of trying to be really succinct... the who Jesus is (divinity and humanity, and events of Easter)was meant to be contained within what he taught and modeled bit.
Hey ho!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Christianity is not about becoming a better person, then how is it not a vanity cult?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like to think Christianity is to some extent about topsy-turviness: up-ending our expectations of the divine and the world around us. The incarnation of the God "without parts or passions," the coming of the king in a cave, the lifting up of the body to heaven, and heaven descending to our bodies. But I would be suspicious of any formulation beginning with the title of the OP.

In a seminary tutorial, we covered a bit about the "theological worlds," which breaks down proposed answers to this question into 5 general archetypes. This pdf is similar to what we worked with. I found it a useful paradigm to think about - as long, like any model, as you don't take it too dogmatically.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
If Christianity is not about becoming a better person, then how is it not a vanity cult?

Well, quite. I suspect it's "basically" that's the snag. Central to Christianity, I think in most flavours (to different degrees, I'm sure) is the theosis that comes from closer conformity to the Perfect Human Being. ("Follow thee more nearly" and all that). Certainly Himself seems to suggest that if the message doesn't impact your treatment of your fellows, you've missed the plot.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that any attempt to define Christianity which is not predicated solely on the person and work of Christ we end up saying more about ourselves that we do about the phenomenon which we call Christianity.

I'd say that Christianity isn't defined by how we follow Jesus, Christianity is defined by how Jesus makes us his followers.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
Making disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.

That's the mission of Christ, but it's not the definition of Christianity. Mission exists because worship doesn't, which suggests to me that worship is ultimate.
Crśsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crśsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
It seems to me that any attempt to define Christianity which is not predicated solely on the person and work of Christ we end up saying more about ourselves that we do about the phenomenon which we call Christianity.

I think that's the case in any event. Christianity seems mostly about assuming divine approval for your own personal prejudices.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a daft question. Christianity is not basically about one thing, but lots of things.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That's the mission of Christ, but it's not the definition of Christianity. Mission exists because worship doesn't, which suggests to me that worship is ultimate.
Which would make it a vanity cult.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daronmedway, can I remind you of the original question:
"What do you think Christianity is basically about?"
Don't you think it's about making disciples of all the nations?

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember who said it, but Christ did not come to make bad men good but to make dead men live.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The salvation of souls.
Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
I can't remember who said it, but Christ did not come to make bad men good but to make dead men live.

Leonard Ravenhill

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me Christianity is about breaking the mold, God coming to us in Christ and our relating to others through Christ.

It is a perversion of Christianity to think God blesses our prejudices, rather Christianity challenges our prejudices--anytime we try to draw a line between us and another, we will find Christ on the other side of the line.

Many years ago, when Transactional Analysis was the fad, there was a book that was a take off on the I'm OK, You're OK book. That book was You're Not OK, But (with God) That's OK

Still makes sense today.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Seems to me you could argue it's too concerned with a works based salvation.

Love God and love your neighbor, forgive, and sin no more - how can it not be about being a good person? It's not a definition and it's not even distinctive, but it's a theme throughout the Gospels. It's only concerned with a works-based salvation if you are asking "What's in it for me?"

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christianity is basically about...

God's ministry, love and grace to us through His Son Jesus.

It is not about us, it is about God. Christianity is the growing recognition of that and of the consequences of that.

Christianity is not about what we do, think, or become:- It is not about being good, knowing God, loving others, living life to the fullest, living for ever...etc. These are only side effects caused from being recipients of God's love.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:

Disciples of who though? My point is this, if the who isn't clear and primary the what will be fuzzy and ill defined.
Crśsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crśsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
It is not about us, it is about God.

I guess we can shutter all the churches and everyone can just sleep in on Sundays then?

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:

Also, if this is the essence of what Christianity is about then Christianity won't be about anything in the New Creation. What I'm saying is that Christianity's ultimate meaning must be Jesus in his eternal union with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

[ 11. June 2013, 16:25: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Crśsos:
quote:

I guess we can shutter all the churches and everyone can just sleep in on Sundays then?
Surely that Isn't the attitude you take to selflessness in your other relationships?
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Disciples of who though?
Human beings?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crśsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Crśsos:
quote:

Surely that Isn't the attitude you take to selflessness in your other relationships?
Well, it's my usual attitude about things that have nothing to do with me. If we accept Hawk's assertion that "Christianity is not about what we do, think, or become", then the actions of individual adherents are pointless.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that Christianity is basically about following Christ (Messiah-believed to be Jesus of Nazareth). That means lots of things.

Then I look at what goes on in and around the church then I see that can be wrong.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:

Disciples of who though?
Human beings?
I think our wires are crossed. Let me rephrase. For whom are we making disciples?
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christianity is about making all whole.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
"You're all ratbags, but you're forgiven anyway, so go and act in the same generous way to everyone else.

... yes but with the addition of...

"or at least try for Christ's sake!"

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christianity is about the reconciliation of all things to God through Jesus Christ (paraphrasing II Cor. 5:19 a bit).

For what this means in terms of a system of doctrines, see the Apostles' or Nicene Creed.

In terms of how we live our lives, this works itself out as loving God and loving our neighbor.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@OP

Currently, fighting a rear guard action against secularism, scientism, and consumerism. All of which also purport to give meaning to life.

It is also a business and money, and how to distribute the authority that money can buy.

It is about the advancement of agendas Christians have for other people, and often in its expression, rather deaf.

On a personal level, it is about a search for meaning for me. Though I think for many it is finding of meaning, and once Christian the search is over. I'm not good enough at Christianity to have that work for me. Nor have I found that that it has made my life any easier. In some ways harder.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Opening Post asks:
quote:

What do you think Christianity is basically about?

I'm having a hard time answering this, especially the requirement to keep it simple. I find a great deal of sense (and not) in a number of different posted answers.

Possibly this OP functions something like a Rorshach Inkblot Test, telling us more about the person doing the answering than anything else.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christianity is basically about showing God to the world by following Christ. That does mean being a good person, but it's for God's sake primarily.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lord Clonk
Shipmate
# 13205

- Posted      Profile for Lord Clonk   Email Lord Clonk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My understanding is that it's basically about nonviolence. And I believe this to be in accord with most of what else has been said on this thread so far... although talk of Christianity being about God rather than us confuses me because it treats God and us as having dissociable interests.

In the past couple of days I've been marveling at how this makes me feel in my bones, like nothing I've felt before about this, that Christianity is truly good and life-transforming news.

[ 11. June 2013, 19:13: Message edited by: Lord Clonk ]

Posts: 267 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
quote:

Yes, you can be a good person w/o being a follower of Jesus-- which is why Mrs.Beaky's answer is not synonymous with "being a good person". Similarly, you could suck at "being good" for various reasons and still be a "follower of Jesus" who is attempting to live a life "characterized by the things he modeled". It's about intent more than outcome.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Christianity is basically about showing God to the world by following Christ. That does mean being a good person, but it's for God's sake primarily.

But as I said upthread, I don't think Christianity should be defined by how we follow Jesus. Surely Christianity should be defined by how Jesus makes us his followers. If we focus our definitions on the act of following, our Christianity becomes about us and our efforts at goodness, pacifism, holiness, social justice, asceticism whatever.

Whereas, if Christianity is defined by how Jesus makes us his disciples it keeps it about him, his work and his grace, which is surely a better way of defining what it is about Christianity which is different to other religions or systems of morality.

[ 11. June 2013, 19:21: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Clonk:
My understanding is that it's basically about nonviolence. And I believe this to be in accord with most of what else has been said on this thread so far... although talk of Christianity being about God rather than us confuses me because it treats God and us as having dissociable interests.

In the past couple of days I've been marveling at how this makes me feel in my bones, like nothing I've felt before about this, that Christianity is truly good and life-transforming news.

It is about God rather than us. The teaching of Jesus is counter to our way of doing things, as here . It is good and life-transforming, and at the same time tough and often against our best interests. Check out the saints.

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway: But as I said upthread, I don't think Christianity should be defined by how we follow Jesus. Surely Christianity should be defined by how Jesus makes us his followers. If we focus our definitions on the act of following, our Christianity becomes about us and our efforts at goodness, pacifism, holiness, social justice, asceticism whatever.

Whereas, if Christianity is defined by how Jesus makes us his disciples it keeps it about him, his work and his grace, which is surely a better way of defining what it is about Christianity which is different to other religions or systems of morality.

I was not suggesting that it should be defined by how we follow, as if it were by our effort and nothing to do with the way Jesus makes us his disciples, or to do with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The resulting demonstration of Christ in us shows God to the world, whether through goodness, holiness, etc.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So far, by a country mile, KLS.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clue's in the name - Christ. Or as someone summarised it "Jesus is Lord - what are you going to do about it?"
Lord Clonk
Shipmate
# 13205

- Posted      Profile for Lord Clonk   Email Lord Clonk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
It is about God rather than us. The teaching of Jesus is counter to our way of doing things, as here . It is good and life-transforming, and at the same time tough and often against our best interests. Check out the saints.

Agreed, it is at the same time tough and from a selfish perspective often against our best interests. That being said, I believe it is for our best interests from the perspective of everyone taken as a whole. Do you disagree?
Posts: 267 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christianity is about making all whole.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
Clue's in the name - Christ. Or as someone summarised it "Jesus is Lord - what are you going to do about it?"

But this is equal to saying redness is about red.

[ 12. June 2013, 00:04: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
A FB status:
quote:

She: Christianity is basically about being a good person, isn't it?

Me: No.

She: Oh.

So what's wrong with this view? What's right with it?

Seems to me you could argue it's too concerned with a works based salvation. Yet it's quite easy to argue it the other way - theosis, abundant life, true humanity in faith and in Christ etc.

(*please try keep it to a one liner, preferably in contemporary, simple language - you know - for us normal people)

Potlucks. Duh.
Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Mockingale [Overused]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016