homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The good ol' U S of A (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The good ol' U S of A
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other morning* when I was working I decided to take my morose dose and listened to NPR on the radio. [Biased]

The impression I got was that the USA was pretty much the least useful country ever created and it got me to wondering: just what have we done right?

(Besides elect Obama.)

TIA.

*and today I saw a bumper sticker that said 'Confederates: fighting terrorism since 1861'. It's difficult to be bored driving in Arkansas.

yet another typo

[ 19. March 2013, 21:06: Message edited by: moron ]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strange--I listen to NPR every day and don't get that impression at all. Would you care to link to the specific stories that gave you that feeling?

Ten minutes of listening to Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity usually makes me wonder why we aren't being scourged by God for our sins. Your mileage probably varies.

[ 19. March 2013, 21:17: Message edited by: Organ Builder ]

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trolling, Trolling, Trolling,
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

[Roll Eyes]

Must we go there?

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
Strange--I listen to NPR every day and don't get that impression at all. Would you care to link to the specific stories that gave you that feeling?

Sorry - I overlooked your even-handed post. It was the cumulative effect of Ira Glass...
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
who is Ira Glass? Why does this matter to listeners of the CBC?
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I'll bite. What have the Americans done right? The US is probably one of the longest running, most peaceful and diverse multi-cultural countries in the modern era, even before the term was uttered. They gave the world excellent music, art and film. The universities are amongst the best - people from all over the world come to the US for education and to make their fortune, as one can become a big fish in a big pond.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
The other morning* when I was working I decided to take my morose dose and listened to NPR on the radio. [Biased]

The impression I got was that the USA was pretty much the least useful country ever created and it got me to wondering: just what have we done right?

Is that why you listen to the news? To hear a daily affirmation that the US is the bestest, most wonderfulest nation in the whole wide world?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't know which "other morning" got you so down, but let's just do a quick rundown of today's installment of NPR's Morning Edition, the show that has you feeling morose.

Wish For Obama Trip, Ignite Stalled Peace Talks
The U.S. tries to find peace in a troubled region. Yay America! +1

Bioethics Panel Warns Against Anthrax Vaccine Testing On Kids
The U.S. is concerned about contagious disease, but not enough to expose children to harm. Again, yay America! +1

[musical interlude]

U.S. Families Forced To Adjust To Women Going Off To War
U.S. military ventures put hardship on American families. Boo, America. -1 But the U.S. runs its military on voluntary enlistment and assigns duties (mostly) by capability, not gender stereotypes. Yay America. +1

Historian Propels Connecticut To Claim 'First In Flight'
Historian questions whether heavier-than-air flight was invented by native-born Americans Orville and Wilbur Wright or immigrant American Gustave Whitehead. Either way, America invented powered flight. Yay America. +1

[another musical interlude]

Ex-Weapons Inspector In Iraq Hoped 'There Would Not Be A War'
U.S. rushed ahead with an ill-advised invasion despite lack of a credible threat. Boo America! -1

Baghdad, A Decade Later
Same as above. -2

[yet another musical interlude]

2 Former CalPERS Officials Indicted For Fraud
The U.S. pursues justice against pension thieves. Yay America. +1 But lax oversight allowed the thieves to rip people off in the first place. Boo America. -1

Visual-Effects Firms Having Trouble Seeing Green
There doesn't seem to be any market model available by which American CGI studios can be profitable. Boo America. -1

New Chinese Law: Filial Piety
Not about the U.S. 0

[even more musical interlude]

E.U. Tax Proposal On Cypriot Bank Deposits Riles Russia
Not about the U.S. 0

Catholics Embrace Pope Francis' Simple Gestures
Not about the U.S. (though may touch on American Catholics) 0

[music keeps interluding]

Interim Prime Minister Elected By Syrian Opposition
Not about the U.S. 0

What Is The Effect Of Asking Americans To Think About The Greater Good?
Americans are selfish bastards. Boo America. -1

[further interluding by music]

Alzheimer's 'Epidemic' Now A Deadlier Threat To Elderly
Americans are living longer. Yay America. +1 But if an American lives long enough to develop Alzheimer's there's still no treatment or cure. Boo America. -1

[can't stop the musical interlude]

For Middle East Peace, Israel Is 'Obligated' To Stop Building Settlements
The U.S. can't get its client state to follow U.S. policy recommendations. Boo America. -1

RNC Election Report Calls For Minority Outreach, Primary Changes
American conservatives realize they need to be less racist. Yay America. +1

[musical interlude again]

Tracking A $500 Million Art Heist From 23 Years Ago
The FBI pursues art thieves. Yay America. +1

'Drunken Botanist' Takes A Garden Tour Of The Liquor Cabinet
The U.S. makes good liquor. And mixed drinks. And books about both! Yay America! +1

[final musical interlude]

Installation Mass Launches Pope Francis' Papacy
Not about the U.S. 0

Cyprus Proposes Exempting Smaller Deposits From Tax
Not about the U.S. 0

A Guilty Conscience Needs No Accuser
Americans sometimes feel bad about committing crimes. Yay America? +0.5

Broncos Cut Player After Missed Contract Deadline
American sports teams are humorless martinets. Boo America. -1

So that comes to seven (six-and-a-half?) stories that portray the U.S. in a positive light, six that portray the U.S. negatively, three that are somewhat mixed, and six that aren't about the U.S.

It sounds like what you're really after is infotainment that consists of nothing beyond American boosterism, rather than anything that could be considered journalism.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toujours Dan: The cost of developing that happy, stable, diverse country was felt by a lot of people who couldn't answer back - the natives of almost the whole contry who were attacked and slaughtered or marginalised deliberately (most often by Christians), the immigrants of one era who were attacked (although not always slaughtered) by the previous gangs of immigrants; the slaves imported from other continents; the people who tried to protect themselves and their fellow workers by, for instance, unionising (still going on); the sick, who the Christians are desperate to avoid helping; the poor, ditto;... Yeah, for many, possibly the majority, the US is a great place, but let's not get too starry-eyed.

Oh, and before the usual riposte is thrown, that smug, happy Canada up North is only better on one count - universal health care - and that's under threat from the usual suspects.

No wonder the T-shirt says "Resisting Terrorism since 1492"

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There can hardly exist a nation on earth which doesn't have blood on its hands during its history and formation. Mine certainly does, but I still love my country and am glad to be British.

So I'm with Toujours Dan on this.

Although I wouldn't want your health care system. [Razz]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:

Not to worry -- we don't have a health care system.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Toujours Dan: The cost of developing that happy, stable, diverse country was felt by a lot of people who couldn't answer back - the natives of almost the whole contry who were attacked and slaughtered or marginalised deliberately (most often by Christians), the immigrants of one era who were attacked (although not always slaughtered) by the previous gangs of immigrants; the slaves imported from other continents; the people who tried to protect themselves and their fellow workers by, for instance, unionising (still going on); the sick, who the Christians are desperate to avoid helping; the poor, ditto;... Yeah, for many, possibly the majority, the US is a great place, but let's not get too starry-eyed.

Oh, and before the usual riposte is thrown, that smug, happy Canada up North is only better on one count - universal health care - and that's under threat from the usual suspects.

No wonder the T-shirt says "Resisting Terrorism since 1492"

I don't disagree with this at all.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:

Not to worry -- we don't have a health care system.

--Tom Clune

Now Tom, don't be so negative. There's always the emergency room if you really need care.

[Devil]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
*and today I saw a bumper sticker that said 'Confederates: fighting terrorism since 1861'. It's difficult to be bored driving in Arkansas.

I have seen a t-shirt with a picture of four Native Americans on horseback and the slogan, "Fighting Terrorism since 1492"

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
"Fighting Terrorism since 1492"

Given the treatment of Native American nations by other Native American nations, there was plenty of terrorism on the continent long before any Europeans arrived.

America scores well in terms of the Leninist concept of voting with one's feet, in view of the numbers of common people who risk their lives to get there, and the numbers of trendy-left bourgeoisie who threaten to leave it for Canada, but never seem to get around to doing so.

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
...and the numbers of trendy-left bourgeoisie who threaten to leave it for Canada, but never seem to get around to doing so.

Not to mention the far right wingnuts who claim to be ultra-supportive of the military every time they have a chance, but want military grade weapons so they can overthrow the elected government with an armed citizen's revolt if they deem it necessary.

Who do they think they will be firing upon?

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Soul food, TEC and +Schori, and Maine Coon cats.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Maine Coon cats.

Oh Jade--it's springtime in Atlanta and our Maine Coon is a mess right now. Keeping up with the shedding is a losing battle.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

At this point I've posted enough fluff on this thread that it only seems fair I try to make a more substantive contribution.

I was born and raised in the US. I've lived in the West, the Midwest, New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Southern regions. My education is thoroughly American, reflecting its strengths and weaknesses. Whether I like it or not, my brain is thoroughly wired as an American--my sense of humor, my understanding and usage of language, my tastes and culture...

I will never be "at home" anywhere else on earth in the manner that I am here.

I love the US--it is far from perfect, but my life and my friends are here. Does it embarrass me sometimes? Yes. Does it make me proud sometimes? Yes. I could say the same about my favorite relatives.

So I will continue to stumble along, trying to make the country a little bit better when I see something that needs to be fixed, trying to preserve things of which I feel we should be justifiably proud and trying to keep myself informed so I can tell the difference until the day when my ashes become part of the landscape here.

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Organ Builder: [Overused]

What you said.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
"Fighting Terrorism since 1492"

America scores well in terms of the Leninist concept of voting with one's feet, in view of the numbers of common people who risk their lives to get there, and the numbers of trendy-left bourgeoisie who threaten to leave it for Canada, but never seem to get around to doing so.
Ironically, when Obama was elected and reelected, conservatives also wanted to vote with their feet by moving to... Australia!

Examiner.com: Disappointed Republicans display woeful ignorance of Australia, Canada

[ 20. March 2013, 16:39: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TD, in your link, i liked one person's response to all the right-wingers who were eyeing Australia and Canada:

“Tea Partiers should head to Somalia: weak central govt, strong 2nd amendment rights, and very socially conservative.”

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clint.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes?
Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bacon cheeseburgers.

Star Wars.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There isn't a nation on this earth that has a history that bears thinking about. In that respect, the US is not any better or worse than any other. Overall, I think we could all do with putting little faith in our countries.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the things I find odd in US culture as portrayed on TV anyway, is the amount of patronage. Is it like that in real life ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
America scores well in terms of the Leninist concept of voting with one's feet, in view of the numbers of common people who risk their lives to get there,

Yes, it's better to live here than in Mexico. That's so much to be proud of. [Roll Eyes] I have never understood this argument. "Things aren't so bad here; look at all the people from impoverished third-world countries trying to get here." Set the bar low, do we?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
One of the things I find odd in US culture as portrayed on TV anyway, is the amount of patronage. Is it like that in real life ?

That depends on what you mean, since I haven't any idea!

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, legacy admissions to university. Large amounts of positions in the gift of elected officials. Discretionary pardons. Corporate control of small communities (this may just be a film trope). Employment law that allows at will firing. Sports scholarships and associated corruption issues.

Etc

[ETA That wierd thing when an elected official becomes incapacitated or dead in office and a spouse or random relative takes over.]

[ 21. March 2013, 01:43: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Well, legacy admissions to university. Large amounts of positions in the gift of elected officials. Discretionary pardons. Corporate control of small communities (this may just be a film trope). Employment law that allows at will firing. Sports scholarships and associated corruption issues.

Etc

The right of employers to fire employees without notice for whatever the hell reasons they feel like (besides being a minority) is a fact of life in the United States. Sports scholarships are usually viewed (insultingly) as a service to disadvantaged segments of the population. I get the impression that government service positions are not really lucrative enough these days to be a huge gift in exchange for political support.

Corporate control of small communities is becoming a bigger problem these days- and corporations are pretty free to manipulate local politics at their pleasure.

Legacy admissions are a thing, but I hardly know how common they are. At least I didn't get any calls from Southern Illinois University, my father's alma mater, when I was bound for college. [Smile]

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
[ETA That wierd thing when an elected official becomes incapacitated or dead in office and a spouse or random relative takes over.]
If a spouse wants to take over for an elected official they have to get the position like anyone else. Either they get elected through sympathy and name recognition, or whoever has the power can appoint them until an election is held.

Not many American will admit it, but for a country with no official class system, the social mobility round these parts stinks.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Are you suggesting that the entertainment industry attempts to accurately portray the USA?

I thought they were just selling stuff.

Which is kinda the answer to the OP. If you are annoyed about how NPR portrays the USA, turn the dial.

BTW, I do wonder whether the trolling nature of the OP sheds more light on Western media then the articles on NPR that day. The OP creator hasn't really engaged after that first post, which seems to be his/her modus operandi. Most media I see mirror that approach; they put out blatant attempts to garner responses (SEO) while avoiding interacting with those who respond.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
America scores well in terms of the Leninist concept of voting with one's feet, in view of the numbers of common people who risk their lives to get there,

Yes, it's better to live here than in Mexico. That's so much to be proud of. [Roll Eyes] I have never understood this argument. "Things aren't so bad here; look at all the people from impoverished third-world countries trying to get here." Set the bar low, do we?
Mexico?

There's probably scarcely a country in the world - even in the developed world - in which there is not a substantial proportion of people who would live in the USA given the opportunity.

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Mexico?

There's probably scarcely a country in the world - even in the developed world - in which there is not a substantial proportion of people who would live in the USA given the opportunity.

Now there's a bold declaration! What would you consider a "substantial proportion", and have you any data to support this?

I suspect you're vastly overestimating the attractiveness of the US, and vastly underestimating the strength of family, community, cultural, and linguistic ties.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

[Roll Eyes]

Must we go there?

Actually we mustn't. Accusations of trolling attack the Shipmate, not the post. Trolls post troll posts. So that's a C3 in Purgatory.

A person can be called to Hell on the grounds that the Hell-caller is pissed off by a dodgy post, but there are even limits to troll-calling in Hell (e.g campaigning against a Shipmate).

Best to leave it to Admin. Trolling gets you suspended or planked here (C1), so they look at suspect behaviour carefully before forming a judgment. You can always send a PM to a Host or an Admin, if you're bothered.

Doing it in the open is also a kind of junior hosting, and that can get you into trouble with H & A as well.

So far as this thread is concerned; personally I think it's a rant thread, and rant threads belong in Hell. I can see there's a bit of scope for serious Purg discussion, but I think it would do better in Hell. Checking out with Hell Hosts.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...The impression I got was that the USA was pretty much the least useful country ever created and it got me to wondering: just what have we done right?

(Besides elect Obama.)

Exported Ronald McDonald fast food "restaurants" all over the world, putting decent healthy food outlets out of business? But hey, you have Obama-care now, so everything will be OK! [Smile]

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Mexico?

Now there's a bold declaration! What would you consider a "substantial proportion", and have you any data to support this?

I suspect you're vastly overestimating the attractiveness of the US, and vastly underestimating the strength of family, community, cultural, and linguistic ties.

Anecdotally, from where I am in the UK there are very few people here who would want to live in the US. And, we share the same language (almost) and are probably closer culturally than many other places in the world. Plenty of people who enjoy going there on holiday, I'm in academia and so I know quite a few people who have gone to/would consider going to the US to work for a few years. But, actually wanting to permanently move to the US is unusual IME.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly wouldn't. No free at point of use health care, the fact it's actually legal to employ someone and only give them a week's paid leave a year, and far too many guns around are the first three reasons I'd give.

Plenty of positives of course, but those three are pretty hard to offset.

[ 21. March 2013, 09:55: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Hollywood the US has done an awful lot of things, such as send pilots to the Battle of Britain and extract a Enigma machine from U571!!!!

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone, somewhere must have done a "if you had to move to another country, where would you go?" poll. My impression from the people I know, I would reckon that from the UK the top of that list would include Spain, Portugal, Greece (those warm, sunny places we go on holiday), Scandanavia (great welfare), New Zealand and Australia, Canada. I'm not sure of the order of those. Of the "I want somewhere where I don't have to learn a new language" group I would expect NZ, Australia and Canada to top the list.

Now, who has the Google-fu to find the results of the poll?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally don't know anyone in the developed world (and I have extensive family and friends all over Europe) who would voluntarily move to the US. Not one. Unless you consider Russia the "developed world".. there I do know a few, but these days, many more who would not consider it for a moment.

Nope, not one, not in Finland, Sweeden, Norway, Germany, Switzerland.... granted, I don't know the whold population of the country, but still, can't imagine that my examples are all that unusual.

That's not to say that they don't have respect for the US, or think it's evil or going to hell in a hand basket. They just don't see any particular reason to prefer living here to living where they have free (or nearly free) healthcare, guaranteed 5 weeks of vacation a year, the ability to buy pretty much whatever they want, not to mention generally better primary education, and no fear of having their children taught "creationism" in science class.

NO, wait, I tell a lie. I do know one person in Switzerland who would move here if she could.. her boyfriend lives here and she'd drop everything to be with him. but.. then again, not everything, since she is currently studying in university, and not willing to give that up to come here.

I am very grateful to the US for taking in my family at a time when many countries refused to do so, and give the opportunities that they would not have had otherwise. Still, even so my family came here because they pretty much had to or die (post WWII, in fear of forced repatriation to the USSR). Still, even so, they would have gone elsewhere had elsewhere taken them. and the US now is not the US of the 1940s. I love my country. but I am under no illusion as to it's flaws.

Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Host view is that the thread will probably do better as a Hell rant, releasing more of its potential for invective over pond difference et al.

Good luck folks. Temperature rising.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan:
quote:
Anecdotally, from where I am in the UK there are very few people here who would want to live in the US. And, we share the same language (almost) and are probably closer culturally than many other places in the world.
And yet at the same time we are quite a long way apart, as becomes apparent every time we have a debate on guns or healthcare. It's not just a question of learning a different pronunciation of tomato.

I do know someone who voluntarily moved to the US; my uncle. Everyone else in the family thinks he's mad (he moved to TEXAS?! Surely everyone there is a gun-toting psychopath??*)

My own view is that it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there, for much the same reasons that Karl gives. Of course if I was one of the 2% it might seem a more attractive prospect.

*except for Belle Ringer of course [Biased]

[ 21. March 2013, 10:35: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could live there if push came to shove. It's almost my second home as it is (for now!!) but I would have to move to a part that is more "appreciative" of old-world values, somewhere in the North-East or more probably in a nice part of SoCal for the climate (I HATE snow).

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I can think of a few. For starters, I don't find many people around here talking wistfully about their dream of emigrating to the States.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Someone, somewhere must have done a "if you had to move to another country, where would you go?" poll. My impression from the people I know, I would reckon that from the UK the top of that list would include Spain, Portugal, Greece (those warm, sunny places we go on holiday), Scandanavia (great welfare), New Zealand and Australia, Canada. I'm not sure of the order of those. Of the "I want somewhere where I don't have to learn a new language" group I would expect NZ, Australia and Canada to top the list.

Now, who has the Google-fu to find the results of the poll?

Dead easy to Google. Home Office. "Australia has consistently been the most popular destination country for British emigrants over the last 20 years. Other key destinations for British emigrants include Spain, the USA, France, Germany, Canada and New Zealand."

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/science-research-statistics/research-statistics/immigration-asylum-research/horr68/

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

Of course, technically that's were people actually HAVE moved, rather than dream about, but the report's quite interesting.

For instance, emigration to Australia seems to have both a large chunk of long-term emigrants, and a lot of young people going for a year of adventure.

Whereas France and Spain are very popular with retirees.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The USA is now home to at least two of my friends who have careers in academia. They went there not only because the pay is far, far better than in the UK, but because they felt that academics were more valued and respected there than here in the UK. (The UK has an appalling reputation for being anti-intellectual.)

I've met and worked with many Americans, and I've never met one I didn't like. I've holidayed in California, and found its people almost painfully polite, and very pleasant to talk to. I'd rather spend a year in San Francisco than a year in London.

We all know the USA has its shortcomings, and that some of those shortcomings arguably threaten other countries, and certainly disadvantage some Americans (mostly the poor). And, being a European, there are places I'd go and live before the USA. But if the right job offer happened to come along, I'd go there.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016