homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Good Riddance (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Good Riddance
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If someone wants to make this kind of idiotic gesture, I won't stop them.

That's one less person around to vote on the topic if it ever comes up again. Talk about giving a whole new meaning to 'loser'.

Idiot. Hysterical homophobic moron. Byeeeee.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know just the kind of punishment the devil might have in store for him.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinning the herd.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"What we need at this stage is a futile gesture".

Monty Python

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does that deconsecrate the place?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
"What we need at this stage is a futile gesture".

Monty Python

No.

The quote is "We could use a futile gesture at this stage" and it was in the original Beyond the Fringe - the words being spoken by Peter Cook. [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Does that deconsecrate the place?

Canon 1211: Sacred places are violated by gravely injurious actions done in them with scandal to the faithful, actions which, in the judgment of the local ordinary, are so grave and contrary to the holiness of the place that it is not permitted to carry on worship in them until the damage is repaired by a penitential rite according to the norm of the liturgical books.
I would assume that the word "scandal" takes the ecclesiastical meaning, so I would guess that a rite is required in this unfortunate case.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A grumpy old son of a bitch decides that he needs to die to teach France a lesson about gay marriage.

To quote from a cousin "I wouldn't piss on him if his heart was on fire."

He went out of life like he apparently lived life; harming others with his reckless arrogance.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suspect dementia and probably thought disorder.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand why people are angry and upset about this, but not why the guy chose to off himself next to the high altar at Notre Dame. I'm sure the Catholic Church has been vigorously opposing same-sex marriage legislation in France, just as it has everywhere else. So the result is that the biggest organisation opposed to SSM is put to the trouble and inconvenience of having the cathedral reconsecrated.

Personally, I hope the Catholics are wrong about suicide being a mortal sin and that he has been forgiven. Jesus died for everyone, even arrogant homophobic control freaks.

Nobody said forgiving your enemies was easy.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess he just couldn't face life in a world where he wasn't allowed to marginalise and persecute gays any more.

If only a few other homophobes had the same courage in their convictions. The world could be made a better (albeit briefly messier) place in no time.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the very least I hope a few French Christians* will be thinking a bit more seriously about whether they really want to try to achieve their political aims by cosying up the National Front. It's been ugly.

(*Both Catholics and Protestants have been opposing same-sex marriage, quite loudly. The RCs are more noticeable, though, on account of their being considerably more numerous.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian
If only a few other homophobes had the same courage in their convictions. The world could be made a better (albeit briefly messier) place in no time.

So you welcome the execution of people who oppose gay marriage?

I never realised you were a fanatical fundamentalist on a par with the worst theocrats of the Bible Belt!

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
So you welcome the execution of people who oppose gay marriage?

I have never joined any of the choruses dogging you in Hell.

Now I will.

What a shit head comment. Marvin never suggested execution. You just twisted his anger at this jerk to suit your own, rather frightening, need to be a advertisement for the dark side of evangelism.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it far easier to sympathise with the soul and motives of Dominique Venner than I do with EtymologicalEvangelical.

Not much easier, but at least I have some for M. Venner.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Suspect dementia and probably thought disorder.

Yes, that explanation makes sense to me, if you can make sense out of someone taking their life so senselessly for such an idiotically senseless reason. What a waste!

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Personally, I hope the Catholics are wrong about suicide being a mortal sin and that he has been forgiven. Jesus died for everyone, even arrogant homophobic control freaks.

Nobody said forgiving your enemies was easy.

This. [Cool]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tortuf
You just twisted his anger at this jerk to suit your own, rather frightening, need to be a advertisement for the dark side of evangelism.

Which is what exactly?

I never made any comment about my view of evangelism. Neither have I made any comment about gay marriage, either for or against.

So, if you want to talk about "shit head comments", then perhaps you ought to consider that you have just jumped to a conclusion about my position.

Marvin clearly stated that he wished people like Dominique Venner dead, because he was apparently 'homophobic'. Firstly, opposing gay marriage does not make someone 'homophobic' (by which, I assume, is meant hatred of homosexual people). It may have nothing to do with views on homosexuality, but more to do with one's views on the institution of marriage.

Now to wish someone dead, because they hold views with which you happen to disagree, is a very small step from desiring their execution.

It's funny how you rail against me for apparently failing to indulge Marvin's anger, expressed through an intemperate and deeply fascist remark. Why don't you extend the same indulgence to me? If you don't like the way my remark is worded, then perhaps I could say that I am simply expressing my anger?

Or perhaps you just hold me to a higher standard than dear little Marvin? If so, I'm flattered, though I feel sorry that Marvin is being patronised (although I am sure he can stand up for himself, and doesn't need little you to hold his hand).

At the heart of it is this: there are certain moralisers in this world who feel at liberty to rail against and condemn those who uphold traditional morality (whether justified or not), but woe betide anyone who dares to expose their own self-righteousness.

This is one such case.

Pathetic.

[ 22. May 2013, 11:43: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Marvin clearly stated that he wished people like Dominique Venner dead, because he was apparently 'homophobic'.

I certainly wouldn't miss them.

quote:
Firstly, opposing gay marriage does not make someone 'homophobic'
Yes it does. In exactly the same way that opposing mixed-race marriages makes you racist.

quote:
It may have nothing to do with views on homosexuality, but more to do with one's views on the institution of marriage.
It doesn't matter why your boot is stamping on someone's face, only that it is.

quote:
Now to wish someone dead, because they hold views with which you happen to disagree, is a very small step from desiring their execution.
No, it's a fucking massive step.

While I'll freely accept that what I said wasn't very nice (hint: it wasn't supposed to be), to accuse me of being a fascist who wants to execute all who disagree with me is laughable. And frankly, it says more about you than it does about me.

quote:
At the heart of it is this: there are certain moralisers in this world who feel at liberty to rail against and condemn those who uphold traditional morality (whether justified or not), but woe betide anyone who dares to expose their own self-righteousness.
Traditional morality (AKA "only those people who are acceptable to the heirarchy may have the right to order their life as they see fit") can suck my shitty ass, and I'm eating a fucking vindaloo first. Deal.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Marvin,

I am going to save myself time and headache by not reading EE anymore. I suggest you do the same.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE, where the fuck did Marvin say he supported the execution of the likes of M. Venner?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I wish I had as much money as Bob Diamond. Does that mean I advocate stealing from his bank account?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Tortuf -

If you can't stand the heat of the kitchen...

Marvin -

And to think that you were the one who used to go on and on and on ad nauseam about "how there is good in everyone"...

Looks like we've seen the real Marvin!

(By the way... your racism comparison is invalid, because some people define marriage in heterosexual terms, much like procreation is necessarily defined. There is rather a fundamental difference between race and sex, for obvious biological reasons!)

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For rational people there are many, many steps between expressing a passive wish for a troublesome person's demise, and instituting legal execution for those of other views.

Anyone who truly believes what you've written above, EE, is potentially a dangerous sociopath.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
And to think that you were the one who used to go on and on and on ad nauseam about "how there is good in everyone"...

It's pretty well hidden in some. But in Salvation terms I'm sure this chap will even now be seeing the error of his ways and letting the good that is in him lead him through to paradise, just as one day we all will.

quote:
By the way... your racism comparison is invalid, because some people define marriage in heterosexual terms, much like procreation is necessarily defined.
Well yes, some people define marriage in heterosexual terms. And some people define it in race-segregated terms. So what?

quote:
There is rather a fundamental difference between race and sex, for obvious biological reasons!
That there is a difference between those concepts is obvious. That it's a difference that affects whether two people can elect to commit their lives to one another in a loving relationship is not.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Anyone who truly believes what you've written above, EE, is potentially a dangerous sociopath.

As I said above, it says more about him than it does about me.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical

What utter pathetic bullshit!

Your comment is the most retarded remark I have read on the Ship in all the time I have been here (and that is saying something!)

So you seriously think that the person who merely points out that hatred - i.e. desiring others dead - can lead to action, is a "dangerous sociopath"?

OK. Fine. So Jesus Himself was a dangerous sociopath. Do you know what He said about hatred?

Or are really that piss ignorant? So we mustn't dare infer that "he who must not be mentioned for fear of transgressing Godwin's Law" indulged and fed a personal hatred of a certain group of people for years, before he then went on to execute his desires, must we? Because if anyone dares to point that out - like anyone with even a primary school grasp of human psychology - then that observer is the "dangerous sociopath" - not the maniac who actually does the killing!!

FFS. I need some fresh air after that...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If there's someone around who could possibly support EE, please do, to take some of the heat off him. He'll be complaining that he's persecuted/dogpiled/bullied next.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't look at me. The stupid sod's being a right stupid sod here.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE- you're a real gift to Hell. Keep it coming.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He has a very good and valid point here.

quote:

This is one such case.

Pathetic.

[Overused]

Essentially, both sides are playing the self-righteous game.

But hey. That's just life.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh look, Evensong turns up in a Hell thread to cheer for the underdog. It must be a day ending in "y".

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all good and well for popular people.

Poor South Coast Kevin never had a fuckin chance calling you to hell did he?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider
The stupid sod's being a right stupid sod here.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Who woulda thunk it!!!!

The Great Karl (Il)liberal Backslider, who rants and raves and foams at the mouth on Kerygmania about how nasty and evil God is for killing people, now tells me that I am being a "right stupid sod" for criticising Marvin "There is good in everyone" The Martian for wanting other people dead, just because they hold a different theory of marriage to precious little him!!

Consistency, dear. Ever heard of it?

[ 22. May 2013, 13:13: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your image of God, EE, your image of him. Not the real one, at least I bloody well hope not.

But you've never grasped that distinction, have you? Just like you fail to grasp quite a few. Exhibit A; this thread.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
just because they hold a different theory of marriage to precious little him

No, not because they believe different things to me. It's because they persecute others.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So we mustn't dare infer that "he who must not be mentioned for fear of transgressing Godwin's Law" indulged and fed a personal hatred of a certain group of people for years, before he then went on to execute his desires, must we? Because if anyone dares to point that out - like anyone with even a primary school grasp of human psychology - then that observer is the "dangerous sociopath" - not the maniac who actually does the killing!!

Don't be silly. It's the 'small step' that people are objecting to. Lots of people, apparently*, have wished other people dead in their lives, but only a microscopic fraction of them actually put their desires into practice. From which one must conclude that it's not a small step at all, but a very large one.

* FWIW wishing people dead is one of the very few vices that I seem to have escaped. I've never seen the point - if they're dead, that eliminates all possibility of them ever saying, "Oh, how right you were all along, O Great Ricardus! How can I ever atone for my doubt?"

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
It's all good and well for popular people.

Poor South Coast Kevin never had a fuckin chance calling you to hell did he?

Heh heh [Big Grin] I can at least comfort myself with the fact that I avoided getting mightily dogpiled...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
So you seriously think that the person who merely points out that hatred - i.e. desiring others dead - can lead to action, is a "dangerous sociopath"?

OK. Fine. So Jesus Himself was a dangerous sociopath. Do you know what He said about hatred?

Let's remind ourselves what Jesus actually said. He said (AIUI) that calling people bad names was on a spectrum that has murder at the end of it. Do you think any of the following constitute bad names?
quote:
a fanatical fundamentalist on a par with the worst theocrats of the Bible Belt ... the most retarded remark I have read on the Ship in all the time I have been here ... are you really that piss ignorant ... The Great Karl (Il)liberal Backslider ...

--------------------

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
So we mustn't dare infer that "he who must not be mentioned for fear of transgressing Godwin's Law" indulged and fed a personal hatred of a certain group of people for years, before he then went on to execute his desires, must we? Because if anyone dares to point that out - like anyone with even a primary school grasp of human psychology - then that observer is the "dangerous sociopath" - not the maniac who actually does the killing!!

Don't be silly. It's the 'small step' that people are objecting to. Lots of people, apparently*, have wished other people dead in their lives, but only a microscopic fraction of them actually put their desires into practice. From which one must conclude that it's not a small step at all, but a very large one.

* FWIW wishing people dead is one of the very few vices that I seem to have escaped. I've never seen the point - if they're dead, that eliminates all possibility of them ever saying, "Oh, how right you were all along, O Great Ricardus! How can I ever atone for my doubt?"

Well, concerning wishing someone dead, what might we extrapolate from Jesus' teachings re: adultery in Matthew 5:28?

quote:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
At the very least I hope a few French Christians* will be thinking a bit more seriously about whether they really want to try to achieve their political aims by cosying up the National Front. It's been ugly.

Amen to that.

This incident fully vindicates my decision to stay well clear of the manif pour tous.

However, I think the way the law has been pushed through and the accompanying hamfisted ideological ranting by the government shows an appalling lack of sensitivity on its part about what is, obviously, a sensitive issue. It's been hard to find any sensible debate of the topic here (I mean in France, not the Ship).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think that Gamaliel's presence was necessary to curb you in a bit. Without him here, you're sounding more shrill than ever. For someone who seems to prize logic very highly, the leap you made from what Marvin said to your description of what Marvin said was jaw dropping.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
Well, concerning wishing someone dead, what might we extrapolate from Jesus' teachings re: adultery in Matthew 5:28?

quote:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

That Jesus understood and knew how to use hyperbole effectively?

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Firstly, opposing gay marriage does not make someone 'homophobic'
Yes it does. In exactly the same way that opposing mixed-race marriages makes you racist.
Really?! What about gay people who don't believe in gay marriage?

(I don't deny that a great number of people who oppose gay marriage - perhaps the majority - are homophobic, but it seems to me that it's not axiomatic.)

quote:
From a related article:
French President Francois Hollande was set to sign a gay marriage and adoption bill into law on Saturday after it was cleared by the Constitutional Council which turned down a challenge by the right-wing opposition.

The Bills! The Bills!
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:

quote:

That Jesus understood and knew how to use hyperbole effectively?
Oi! Of to Purg with you! Seriously, though, there's a good point in there but not for here.

Poo, bum, cretin, arsehole, fanny batter etc - not aimed at anyone in particular; just making post Hellish. Or more Hellique, I suppose.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs
Without him here, you're sounding more shrill than ever.

Well, yeah, I suppose it is being quite 'shrill' to get upset about someone who basically wants people to drop dead who don't agree with him!

Suppose I came on here and said the following: "I just wish that everyone who disagrees with my moral position would just fucking well drop dead". I assume you would respect my view, and not call this 'shrill', eh?

You get upset at my 'logic', but I've noticed that you don't seem too upset at Marvin's vile comment. I think that is rather telling. The one who wants people dead is given a free pass, and the criticism falls on the person who seeks to uphold life. Funny that.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

My God, EE, your self-righteousness is so thick that my knife has been blunted and bent. Not that that's anything new, of course.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Suppose I came on here and said the following: "I just wish that everyone who disagrees with my moral position would just fucking well drop dead". I assume you would respect my view, and not call this 'shrill', eh?

What you're missing is that yes, that would come across as a pretty normal Hell post.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
You get upset at my 'logic', but I've noticed that you don't seem too upset at Marvin's vile comment. I think that is rather telling. The one who wants people dead is given a free pass, and the criticism falls on the person who seeks to uphold life. Funny that.

Well, yes. Marvin's unpleasant but un-acted-upon desires remain a matter between him and the inside of his head, whereas your spraying insults all over the thread while putting words in other posters' mouths and ignoring what they're actually saying affects everyone who posts on this thread.

It's the difference, if you like, between private and public morality.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a difference between wishing someone dead, killing someone, and allowing someone to do with their life as they wish, including taking it. I advocate the latter, which is a good deal more than M. Venner advocated for the rest of us.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus
Do you think any of the following constitute bad names?
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical
a fanatical fundamentalist on a par with the worst theocrats of the Bible Belt ... the most retarded remark I have read on the Ship in all the time I have been here ... are you really that piss ignorant ... The Great Karl (Il)liberal Backslider ...

1. "a fanatical fundamentalist on a par with the worst theocrats of the Bible Belt" - no, because it is the truth. Wishing people dead who simply take a different view on something is precisely like the fanaticism of the worst theocrats of the Bible Belt.

2. "the most retarded remark I have read on the Ship in all the time I have been here" - calling someone a "dangerous sociopath" who sees a connection between the desire that certain people should be dead and actually wanting to be involved in the implementation of that goal (a connection entirely in accordance with the record of history), is a truly insane comment. It is therefore a "retarded remark". What do you want me to say? That it's a very sensible idea, or something? So again, it's the truth.

3. "are you really that piss ignorant" - I would agree that the use of the word 'piss' as emphasis is rather emotional, but we are actually on a board called 'hell' where this kind of language is expected (and where emotionally driven hyperbole is not only tolerated but defended, hence the fact that Marvin has got away scot free with his murderous language). So are you just criticising me here or are you willing to criticise the Ship for running this hell board? Or are you playing the hypocrite by targetting me, and yet not pulling other people up on their language? Do please clarify that point. Thank you.

4. "The Great Karl (Il)liberal Backslider" - yes, he is illiberal. Read his posts. So I make no apology for telling the truth.

As for your "bad name" theory... how do you read Jesus' words in Matthew 23? Just askin'...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016