homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How corrupt was the Catholic church at the time of the Reformation? (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: How corrupt was the Catholic church at the time of the Reformation?
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
I'm not sure nationalism was all that new an addition in the sixteenth century. There was a fairly clear nationalist element in the Avignon Papacies of the fourteenth centuries.

Really? Could you say what you think that element was? Nationalism I'd suppose to require the identification of a people with a proposed or actual Westphalian state. The middle to high medieval period has the beginnings of the invention of peoples, demarcated by language and religion. But not I think the desire to create integral states as a formal embodiment of them. The ruling classes of Europe simply had too many fingers in too many territories at that point. That the Kings of France had an interest in having the Popes as their clients is a different matter.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Reformation was probably a lot more complicated than just nationalism or corruption.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grammatica:
I'd like to hear more about this period and the Cluniac reforms, because they present one half of a historical problem. How was it that the Church was able to survive this mess, but not the mess of the Renaissance papacy? Was it simply that in ninth century Europe there was plenty of other mess for people to concern themselves with? Or was it that the princes of the day saw no percentage for themselves in sponsoring a breakaway church?

One of the consequences of the Cluniac reforms was the centralisation of power in the church. The Papacy reclaimed power over the local churches from local rulers. So the people who really had an interest in reforming the church were the papacy. The Holy Roman Emperors, or some of them, supported the reforms, partly out of personal piety and partly because they probably thought a strong Papacy was preferable to a strong nobility.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The question we might ask would be: Why was it that the Church at these earlier periods had been resilient enough to reform itself? And why was the Church of the sixteenth century able to reform itself only after the shock of the Reformation?

The sixteenth century was a very different set-up. Universities, printing press, growing urbanisation, growing middle class. Perhaps with greater social and geographical mobility, there was less of a sense of the impossibility of change ?

Seems to me that the flashpoint for the reformers was the issue of sale of indulgences. That's not just the Pope and his court in distant Rome misbehaving at a personal level while the whole machinery of the church got on with the job of supplying priests to Christendom to preach and dispense the sacraments. A bad priest would sooner or later be replaced by a good priest, a bad pope by a good pope. Personal depravity the church had always survived.

The sixteenth century corruption combined
- the pope as a player in the games of European politics rather than any sort of neutral arbiter
- the dimension of doctrinal error in the idea of indulgences as a commodity that could be bought and sold
- a corruption of what was seen as the whole purpose of the church - dispensing forgiveness for sin to allow the repentant into heaven - rather than mere corruption at the top.

The specific doctrines of the reformers were ISTM nothing special; had those ideas not been the preferred remedies of those who most effectively pointing out what was wrong with the church, they probably wouldn't have been widely adopted.

But the idea of people reading Scripture for themselves, that the Bible could be a benchmark against which church leaders and their teachings could be held to account - that was the idea whose time had come, the answer to the sickening corruption of all that the church was and is supposed to be.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Finally, I wonder just how much effect the antics of the Renaissance popes would have had on the average "person in the pew" at the time. Would it be safe to say that, then as now, there would be no more than a few people who really cared what the Church was getting itself up to on a national or international level, as long as things went as usual in their local parishes?

This is a point of controversy among historians of England at present: Eamon Duffy thinks the Catholic Church still had the hearts and allegiance of the people in 1530, and that the Reformation in England was accomplished by a coup at the highest levels of government, enforced by terror. Diarmaid MacCullough disagrees, and will be writing a new biography of Thomas Cromwell to show that the Reformation did have popular support behind it. No prizes for guessing which of the two is a Roman Catholic and which is a deacon in the Church of England. [Snigger]

Perhaps it is my dark, cynical heart, but I'm thinking had Mary lasted a bit longer, England would have remained Catholic a bit longer.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree and what if a little Tudor/Hapsburg son was born?? The BBC envisioned this scenario a few years. Not a bad alternative to Puritans and Civil War

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
I agree and what if a little Tudor/Hapsburg son was born??

Given the fact that Mary was part Hapsburg and there were some nasty genes in that family, it would not necessarily have turned out well.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Finally, I wonder just how much effect the antics of the Renaissance popes would have had on the average "person in the pew" at the time. Would it be safe to say that, then as now, there would be no more than a few people who really cared what the Church was getting itself up to on a national or international level, as long as things went as usual in their local parishes?

This is a point of controversy among historians of England at present: Eamon Duffy thinks the Catholic Church still had the hearts and allegiance of the people in 1530, and that the Reformation in England was accomplished by a coup at the highest levels of government, enforced by terror. Diarmaid MacCullough disagrees, and will be writing a new biography of Thomas Cromwell to show that the Reformation did have popular support behind it. No prizes for guessing which of the two is a Roman Catholic and which is a deacon in the Church of England. [Snigger]

Perhaps it is my dark, cynical heart, but I'm thinking had Mary lasted a bit longer, England would have remained Catholic a bit longer.
Conrad Russell pointed out that, given time, the Protestant "heresy" was stamped out everywhere else. There were large Protestant communities in France, Bohemia, Hungary, and even Italy.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Germany? Sweden? The Netherlands? North America?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Germany? Sweden? The Netherlands? North America?

I do think the success of the Dutch Revolt had quite a bit to do with the success of Dutch Protestantism. The southern provinces, the nucleus of present-day Belgium, remained under Spanish rule and remained Catholic.

North America's an interesting story. French Huguenots attempted to establish a colony at Ft. Caroline in Florida, and were wiped out by Spanish troops under the leadership of Pedro Menendez de Aviles, who founded St. Augustine. The Frenchmen were hanged from trees with placards around their necks: "Not as Frenchmen but as heretics."

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lynnk
Apprentice
# 16132

- Posted      Profile for Lynnk   Email Lynnk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me, that after what I've just been reading about popes and vaticans and religious wars and indulgences and what appears to be the obscene wealth of the catholic church, compared to what I read in the Gospels in my Bible,that the catholic church has little to do with Christianity
And I won't even mention the dealings with children that to many church leaders were prepared to overlook.

--------------------
Ok, Who washed the cat?

Posts: 22 | From: Tasmania | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynnk:
It seems to me, that after what I've just been reading about popes and vaticans and religious wars and indulgences and what appears to be the obscene wealth of the catholic church, compared to what I read in the Gospels in my Bible,that the catholic church has little to do with Christianity
And I won't even mention the dealings with children that to many church leaders were prepared to overlook.

I'd be inclined to agree... if those things were unique to the Catholic Church. Sadly, they seem to be found just as much in Protestantism (both mainline & evangelical), atheism, communism, and pretty much any other group that manages to claw their way into power. Something about the human condition, I guess.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure what you mean about the 'obscene wealth ' of the Catholic church.Certainly the Vatican contains many cultural treasures,but I'm sure that if you put a monetary value on the contents of many museums in the USA or other countries,you might conclude that they also were obscenely wealthy.
It's not possible to sell off a bit of St Peter's,for example and if you tried what could you do with the High altar ? Who would buy it and what would they do with it.These things ,along with the contents of the ?Vatican museums belong to the patrimony of the human race,held in trust for the benefit,not only of Catholics but for all of humanity

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
I'm not sure what you mean about the 'obscene wealth ' of the Catholic church.

Ask a Mexican. One of the things that was accomplished after the Mexican Revolution was banning the building of new RC churches in Mexico. The reason was that the Church had impoverished the native population for years building massive edifices. Every tiny town in Mexico has a cathedral to the honor and glory of the Church and the agony of the peasants. "Obscene" is way too kind a term for this foul excess.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Conrad Russell pointed out that, given time, the Protestant "heresy" was stamped out everywhere else. There were large Protestant communities in France, Bohemia, Hungary, and even Italy.
Not large in Italy, even if you count the Spirituali and the Thirty Years War settled Bohemia for Catholicism

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
quote:
quote:

Not large in Italy even if you count the Spirituali. The Thirty Years War settled Bohemia for Catholicism

--------------------

Cedd007
Shipmate
# 16180

- Posted      Profile for Cedd007   Email Cedd007       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:

... I have read a fair bit about it over the years but most sources have their agendas are written from one position or the other ...

This is, I think, the key reason why objectivity is so difficult. The fault-lines between Catholic and Protestant are so deep that even atheists can unconsciously display a bias towards the one or the other. In England the Protestant version of events is still probably the main story, except that most people now think that Henry Vlll was in it just for the money.

The question is complicated by the fact that all churches have changed profoundly in 5 centuries, yet we use the terms 'Catholic' and 'Protestant' as though there is unbroken continuity. In which tradition do you place Erasmus, for example? His publication of the Greek text of the New Testament helped fuel rising expectations of what the Church should be like. In my view, both Catholics and Reformers responded with a knee-jerk reaction, and what might have been a fruitful debate was hijacked by the 16th century equivalent of social media: scurrilous and inflammatory pamphlets were the dark side of the printing revolution. It is frightening how quickly theological debate degenerated into each side labelling the other as 'Antichrist' – who required execution rather than dialogue.

As far as England is concerned I believe we have got much closer to an objective account of what was going on in the 16th Century, as historians have begun to dismantle the Protestant account. A good example of this is Scarisbrick's book of Henry Vlll, which shows clearly that the thinking of Henry, the Pope and Cardinal Wolsey, whether 'right' or 'wrong', is totally alien to the way we think in the 21st Century. From this point of view Eamon Duffy's approach – where the fault-lines would appear as deep as ever – can be misleading. But then I suppose he was reacting to the Protestant story that had grown up for centuries without being challenged. By and large I think Protestants and Catholics ought now to be able to look back at this period and laugh at both our follies.

Those follies were so enormous that modern differences between Catholic and Protestant are insignificant. A very good case can be made that Mary l's brief reign was about as successful as the first few years of Elizabeth's, and that had Mary lived longer the Catholic faith (and subsequently the Catholic take on English History!) would have triumphed. However, I still think Cock-up, rather than Providence, was at work, when Mary made the political error of burning the Archbishop of Canterbury outside my Oxford college, whilst allowing him airtime before he died. Poor Public Relations can change the whole course of history.

Posts: 58 | From: Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Grammatica:I do think the success of the Dutch Revolt had quite a bit to do with the success of Dutch Protestantism.
I have looked at this sentence a couple of times, and I'm still not sure if it isn't a tautology.

I mean, the Dutch revolt arose because Protestants wanted to get rid of Spanish Catholic rule. When they managed to do so, would this be the success of the Dutch Revolt (we usually call it the '80 Year War'), or would it be the success of Dutch Protestantism? Isn't that saying the same?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cathedrals and churches are built to the glory of God,not to the glory of the Church.It is a moot question,of course,as to whether churches should be built in prominent places with towers and spires to indicate their relative importance in a 'Christian' country.

Indeed the faithful contribute much to the building of churches,impoverishing themselves sometimes for the greater glory of God,but if one toes too far along that line one could say that churches should not be built,indeed even that the Gospel should not be preached.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole problem with the OP and many of OUR responses is the sense of distance. From THEM.

THEY were, ARE, us. We ARE them. Even though my Roman brothers refuse me, I embrace them.

I embrace US. Yeah with easily slitty eyes, with twitches toward the sword lay down. Which is NOT the case with our Muslim brothers.

The Reformation was, is as corrupted by threatened power as any of us who finds a stone in their hand.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:

Ask a Mexican. One of the things that was accomplished after the Mexican Revolution was banning the building of new RC churches in Mexico. The reason was that the Church had impoverished the native population for years building massive edifices. Every tiny town in Mexico has a cathedral to the honor and glory of the Church and the agony of the peasants. "Obscene" is way too kind a term for this foul excess.

--Tom Clune

Horseshit.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What, we weren't imperialists CL ?

--------------------
Love wins

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Indeed the faithful contribute much to the building of churches,impoverishing themselves sometimes for the greater glory of God,but if one toes too far along that line one could say that churches should not be built,indeed even that the Gospel should not be preached.

I there's a false equivalence in there, Forthview... Whether or not to build churches is a totally separate consideration from whether or not to preach the Gospel. You can have church services in existing buildings like community halls / centres, pubs, cafes, offices etc. Or you can meet in people's homes.

I know many people consider none of those locations to be viable options, of course. But the Gospel can be preached without dedicated church buildings, especially (referring to tclune's post) ones that cause significant financial impoverishment of the local community.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
quote:
Just a little note to say the success of the Reformation was in part due to the shifting of corruption. In other words, the Reformation received support by those who saw the opportunity to permanently divert power and funds from Rome to themselves.

This in no way is meant to support or attack any other points on either side. I've no dog in this fight.

Indeed, one political effect of the Reformation was the emergence of the State as the chief legitimate political actor (i.e the rise of the German Princes and Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries and declaration that he, not the Pope was head of the national church of England)
You may be mistaking cause and effect. It was the development of something bearing a marked resemblance to the Machiavellian state in 14th Century France which enabled Philip the Fair to successfully defy the Pope in a way outwith the ability of the Hohenstaufen Emperors. The Pope's divisions, as it were, during the high medieval period were the landed aristocracy who could always use a Papal - monarchical disagreement to leverage further rights or powers for themselves. Once the Monarch had successfully got the drop on the aristocracy he could defy the Papacy without worrying about his vassals announcing "Oh Noes! You defy the Pope! We renounce our allegiance forthwith". Once you have a monarch sufficiently sure of his position to step away from the Papacy, then they could do. (I think a schism of the Lutheran sort was delayed by the Avignon schism which offered dissident monarchs an alternative Pope should the Roman version not be obliging, although the 15th Century saw Lollardy in England and Hussism in Bohemia.) There was never any danger of, say, Barbarossa, adopting, say, Waldensianism as an alternative to Catholicism because the power of the Pope was too established but 16th Century monarchs could and did adopt Protestantism because they were sufficiently powerful to stick two fingers in the general direction of Rome. The exception being Henri IV if France who inherited an extremely weak monarchy with a Catholic army in the field against him. He was obliged to concede that Paris was worth a Mass. But the English monarchy could go from Roman Catholicism to Henrican absolutism to Edwardian Reformed religion to Roman Catholicism to the Elizabethan settlement without the authority of the monarch being seriously threatened.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Grammatica:I do think the success of the Dutch Revolt had quite a bit to do with the success of Dutch Protestantism.
I have looked at this sentence a couple of times, and I'm still not sure if it isn't a tautology.

I mean, the Dutch revolt arose because Protestants wanted to get rid of Spanish Catholic rule. When they managed to do so, would this be the success of the Dutch Revolt (we usually call it the '80 Year War'), or would it be the success of Dutch Protestantism? Isn't that saying the same?

I'll try to say it differently, then.

Protestantism in the Dutch provinces would have been stamped out if the provinces had continued under Spanish rule. However heartfelt the Dutch Protestants' convictions may have been, death, conversion, or emigration would have been their only choices, if the Dutch Revolt had not succeeded. Dutch Protestants needed the shelter of the Dutch Republic to survive.

The English Lutherans (and surviving Lollards) needed Henrician and Edwardian political shelter to survive. Given time, Mary Tudor would have stamped them out, but she was not given time.

In other words, the survival of a denomination or even an entire religion may depend on whether or not it has political shelter or protection. In the absence of political shelter it will fail and be reduced to a tiny minority; in the presence of active persecution it will eventually be stamped out altogether.

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trawling through a whole load of counterfactuals is always great fun, but in truth we'll never know whether - if Mary Tudor had lived longer or played her cards right - we might have had a very different outcome. You could say much the same about Edward VI.

Seeing history from the tail-end, as it were, it's easy to overlook the fact that Mary's accession was a genuinely popular event. It didn't finish that way of course. But neither were Edward VI's more extreme reforms popular. People must have been asking themselves "Now what?" when Elizabeth came to power. By any standard she was canny enough to see what a more extreme course would demonstrably lead to, from either direction. Her advisers were also well aware of what might happen along the French lines if pushed - indeed Francis Walsingham was in Paris at the time of the St. Bartholomew's day massacre and very nearly got dragged into it. Is it so unthinkable that most of the population may have thought likewise, whatever their religious sympathies?

It may be a bit of an overstatement to say that reformation histories tend to polarise along confessional lines. I know it looks that way, but I think there are other things going on. Mostly, the traditional way of doing history leads to repeating the victory narratives of the winners, whether catholic or protestant. These were times of great state propaganda, and the winners' narratives will largely reflect that. Both used wild hyperbole.

What I think people like Duffy have done is to follow a general trend of the 20th century and look much more closely at contemporary local records. That needs a lot more legwork as they are dispersed around the country, buried in local archives, unindexed for content. When you do that, the hope is that you can get a better idea of what it all looked like on the ground, and you can then get an idea of how the rhetoric from the top matched up with the reality on the ground.

To be honest, I have also found the most useful way of reconciling the two approaches is looking at other areas of contemporary Tudor history - it's not too difficult to see where the rhetoric comes from and why.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
But neither were Edward VI's more extreme reforms popular. People must have been asking themselves "Now what?" when Elizabeth came to power. By any standard she was canny enough to see what a more extreme course would demonstrably lead to, from either direction. Her advisers were also well aware of what might happen along the French lines if pushed - indeed Francis Walsingham was in Paris at the time of the St. Bartholomew's day massacre and very nearly got dragged into it. Is it so unthinkable that most of the population may have thought likewise, whatever their religious sympathies?

I go to a lot of meetings involving nonprofits, grantwriters, and public-private partnerships. These days, whatever the topic, or even the field, the one thing everyone at the meeting will say is: "We need a predictable revenue stream and a predictable set of goals/ measures/ outcomes."

They've been bounced around for years now by one new "initiative" after another, one un- or under-funded mandate after another, each one inconsistent with the previous one. Each time there's a new "initiative" announced, they have to change or even reverse their direction and mission. Sometimes (as this year in Florida) funding is awarded with great fanfare for the first year of a start-up project and vetoed for the second.

Organizations are not being given the time they need to build staff, acquire practical expertise, establish a presence. The surest way to make a nonprofit scream at this point is to threaten it with "transformative" leadership.

I think maybe I can understand how people felt at Elizabeth's accession. Whatever it is, don't care, as long as she sticks with it and it isn't too harsh.

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

Financial impoverishment because of the building of splendid churches ? Should this actually be the case,one should ask oneself how important are these cultural landmarks which sometimes can be understood as showing the power of the Church.
But the real power of the Church is in its proclamation of the Gospel.

If one thinks that splendid churches simply impoverish the population,making them subjects of the Church,can we not say that the propagation of the Gospel does the same ? There are quite a few people who think that the Christians have too much power in this country anyway (Scotland) and that's not only the Catholics who have power.
Christians are able to influence the school system (say some people),they have an automatic right to places on school boards,about 20% of the schools are directly in Catholic hands.Christians,according to some people, misuse this power to more or less force others to do what they consider to be correct.Some people say that the country would be much better off if the Christians just kept out of sight.

The government of Benito Juarez in Mexico (after whom Benito Mussolini was named) was an extremely anticlerical government which tired to forbid the public acceptance of religion. No religious dress was allowed on the streets.In spite of all this anticlericalism many Mexicans maintained and continue to maintain a genuine attachment to the Catholic Church.

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If one thinks that splendid churches simply impoverish the population,making them subjects of the Church,can we not say that the propagation of the Gospel does the same ?

Again, I think this is a conflation of two separate issues. The argument goes that building expensive churches and cathedrals consumes money that might have been better spent on addressing poverty. (Mind you, I'm sure plenty of jobs are created by such a major undertaking as building a cathedral.)

How does propagation of the Gospel impoverish people? I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think maybe I can understand how people felt at Elizabeth's accession. Whatever it is, don't care, as long as she sticks with it and it isn't too harsh.

Well of course. Whether Protestant or Catholic, they were Church of England which means change is a foreign and difficult concept. [Razz] [Razz]
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:

--Tom Clune

Horseshit.
Those churches were built for the Glory and worship of God. This argument is just another part of the "Black Legend".

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

'Horseshit' and 'just another part of the "Black Legend" '. Are those are the most convincing rebuttals you have of tclune's argument?

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

Some people - and I am not one of them - would say that preaching the Gospel is just bringing people under the yoke of Church authorities of all types,taking away from people their freedom to do whatever they think best.Evangelists,priests,ministers do this to have power over people.
Some people would say that it is enslavement -impoverishment not merely in a financial way but in a way of making people dependent on the Church and losing the riches of free thought.
This is not my personal way of thinking,however.

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the historical and aesthetic level I have rather a soft spot for cathedrals, but the fact is that there is not one single verse in the NT to justify the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices.
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

An other way of looking at this is to say that all places are sacred, for God is present everywhere that a believer calls upon him.
There is an old pre Christian Celtic belief that there are certain 'thin places' where the presence of God is made more manifest than others.

At the time of the Calvinist Reformation here in Scotland when most of the pre Reformation churches were abandoned,not normally destroyed,but just abandoned to the depredations caused by wind,weather and time,it is significant that the population continued to accept that there was something special about those places.If one looks at the heaps of stones which were once the cathedral of St Andrews,the cathedral of Elgin,the Lantern of the North,the great Cistercian Abbey of Melrose,to name but three,you will see there the burial places of the citizens of the post Reformation period.

In the Old Testament we read of the presence of God in the Ark of the Covenant.Most NT Christians see in a special way the presence of God in the Holy Eucharist and in the proclamation of His Living Word.Around these places of the presence of God to his people have grown up church buildings to provide a worthy dwelling place for God amongst men.For the Christian these are the real treasures of churches,rather than their aesthetic appeal,which is certainly not to discount the aesthetic appeal which may either attract some people to the Truth of the Gospel or confirm others in their Faith.That is why I continue to say an attack on churches is an attack on the Proclamation of the Gospel.

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

When I remember the small town in which I grew up here in Scotland there were five large churches along the 300 metres length of the main street.
Three separate Church of Scotland charges,stemming from the secessions of the 19th century,plus a very nice and quite large Episcopal church,as well as a Baptist church.
Just off the main street there was a large Catholic church which held six separate services on a Sunday.
I often wonder just how much money was spent in Scotland on the building of separate churches for the Church of Scotland,the Free Church of Scotland,the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland,the United Presbyterian church of Scotland and others which came and went in the wake of disruptions and re-unions.I'm certainly not complaining about it,but it is wrong to castigate only the Catholic church for the building of edifices.If you put all the smaller church buildings whether seen as sacred spaces or not,they still amount to a lot of money spent on church building.

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
I often wonder just how much money was spent in Scotland on the building of separate churches for the Church of Scotland,the Free Church of Scotland,the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland,the United Presbyterian church of Scotland and others which came and went in the wake of disruptions and re-unions.I'm certainly not complaining about it,but it is wrong to castigate only the Catholic church for the building of edifices.If you put all the smaller church buildings whether seen as sacred spaces or not,they still amount to a lot of money spent on church building.

Absolutely, Forthview. I certainly didn't mean to single out the RCC for criticism regarding the money spent on church buildings (construction and maintenance, the latter being an important consideration too), and I'm guessing the same is true for Kaplan Corday.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

SCK we are indeed friends !
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I often wonder just how much money was spent in Scotland on the building of separate churches for the Church of Scotland,the Free Church of Scotland,the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland,the United Presbyterian church of Scotland and others which came and went in the wake of disruptions and re-unions.

Hehe. A fair amount. Don't envy us ... it's come back to bite us on the bum, as we have been over-supplied with churches ever since. Many of them were never full, even back in the day. Yet every congregation will fight tooth and nail to keep their massive edifice with all of 10 people worshipping in it.

It may interest you to know that the Free Church, when it broke away in the 1843 Disruption, managed to take with it a whole bunch of rather wealthy radicals. Within ten years it had built New College in Edinburgh to train its ministers - a superb facility with cutting-edge scholarship - and this financed purely by subscription.

They were also brilliantly organised and energetic. They developed a kind of 'flatpack' church - a simple design which could be flung up anywhere quickly and cheaply. These are good solid buildings even now, but they really didn't cost that much, especially as the architectural style tended towards the simple and practical, with no stained glass or ornamentation. And they paid for it all themselves, as well as paying for their own ministers and manses, for they had no 'old money' to rely on.

Apart from these wealthy city-dwelling free-thinkers, the Free church congregations also attracted many of the poorer urban workers and rural crofters and farm workers, so for many congregations this was quite a feat. Even now, when the Free and the Established Church have been (mostly) reunited for over eighty years, the former Free Church congregations have a reputation for better giving.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
'Horseshit' and 'just another part of the "Black Legend" '. Are those are the most convincing rebuttals you have of tclune's argument?

It perhaps is astonishment that in 2013 , people can still argue about the poor , deluded peasant oppressed by the wicked Catholic Church which builds golden churches on their backs
It boggles the mind

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've never been to Quebec, have you?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
You've never been to Quebec, have you?

A caricature is a caricature

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After the Quiet Revolution of the 1960's, Quebecois themselves and a large part of the Quebec media feels that they were oppressed by the Catholic Church and that the Church built magnificent churches while selling out their interests.

As a Protestant, I have no dog in that race.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

When faith is lost people see things differently.
In the Calvinist Western Isles of Scotland there are a number of people who feel that they are oppressed by the Free Church as places of entertainment and relaxation are generally closed.Golf courses and swimming pools are shut,cinemas are closed,shops are closed.Children's playparks have the swings tied up.

For those who take the Lord's Day seriously this is as it should be,but for those who think otherwise, they describe themselves as being oppressed by the heavy hand of the Church (protestant)It's possibly the same in Quebec,say I who have never been there.

k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd like to hear more about this period and the Cluniac reforms, because they present one half of a historical problem. How was it that the Church was able to survive this mess, but not the mess of the Renaissance papacy? (…) The question we might ask would be: Why was it that the Church at these earlier periods had been resilient enough to reform itself? And why was the Church of the sixteenth century able to reform itself only after the shock of the Reformation? I like Jengie Jon's answer, but I wonder what other factors might have played a role.

Who says she didn’t? The counter-reformation, and especially the council of Trent, dealt with a bucketload of corruption.

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
At the historical and aesthetic level I have rather a soft spot for cathedrals, but the fact is that there is not one single verse in the NT to justify the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices.

Not one? And what, exactly, do you mean by that? Are there any texts in the New Testament that prohibits “the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices”? If not, we shouldn’t be too eager to criticise this. It is also important to note that the Church which canonized Scripture happened to hold on to “the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices.” The earliest Christian synagogues in Jerusalem, for instance, were oriented towards the point where we now find the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, instead of the Temple. These Christians sure held fast to “the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices.” Scripture didn’t fall down from the sky, and it didn’t pop out of a historical vacuum. It came to be within the Church, and its canonization also happened within the Church. And in both cases we have historical evidence to suggest that the Church held on to “the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices.”

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
quote:
...there is not one single verse in the NT to justify the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices.

Not one? And what, exactly, do you mean by that? Are there any texts in the New Testament that prohibits “the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices”?
I don't know if there's any text that explicitly prohibits the 'holy ground' concept, but ISTM the whole tenor of the New Testament is that we worship God by following his ways in our whole life, rather than by attending certain events / ceremonies at particular places.

There are some specific references, though - what comes to my mind is Jesus talking to the Samaritan woman, effectively saying 'there is no specific 'holy place' to go and praise God, and the fact that a few churches are noted as meeting in people's homes.

And there's the simple fact that the pre-Constantine church is not recorded as having built any dedicated 'places of worship' (and we have no archaeological evidence of such, AFAIK). Yes, the early Christians faced much persecution but it wasn't constant, AIUI, and I'd have thought they had enough time and resources to at least build something if they wanted to.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Those churches were built for the Glory and worship of God.

Because it was God and not the priest that stood in front of the people collecting their adulation. It was God and not the priests that had their lifestyles funded. And you wonder why people are cynical that things were done for the greater glory of God rather than the greater glory of the Church. (The RCC is, by the way, certainly not the only offender. Golden statues of a holy man who spent time as a beggar and is considered in another religion an avatar of Vishnu dealing with suffering of the poor are just as much of a problem. And don't get me started on Patriarch Kiril.)

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
quote:
...there is not one single verse in the NT to justify the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices.

Not one? And what, exactly, do you mean by that? Are there any texts in the New Testament that prohibits “the concepts of holy ground, sacred sites, consecrated space or edifying edifices”?
quote:
I don't know if there's any text that explicitly prohibits the 'holy ground' concept, but ISTM the whole tenor of the New Testament is that we worship God by following his ways in our whole life, rather than by attending certain events / ceremonies at particular places.

But unless you want to be a Gnostic, any gathering would have to happen at a particular place. The Eucharist is physical, baptism is physical.

quote:
There are some specific references, though - what comes to my mind is Jesus talking to the Samaritan woman, effectively saying 'there is no specific 'holy place' to go and praise God, and the fact that a few churches are noted as meeting in people's homes.

What Christ said to the Samaritan woman was that there wasn’t to be but one place to worship God – either the Temple in Jerusalem where the Jews praised and sacrificed to God or Mount Gerizim, where the Samaritans praised and sacrificed to God. He didn’t, however, say that there were no such places. As to your point about Church meetings in people’s homes: All the evidence we have, especially archeological, suggests that this was large buildings of rich Christians, converted for formal Christian worship, and not just someone meeting in their loving room. We have no historical or archaeological evidence of that, and it seems anachronistic. These buildings were the forerunners of the Basilica.

quote:
And there's the simple fact that the pre-Constantine church is not recorded as having built any dedicated 'places of worship' (and we have no archaeological evidence of such, AFAIK).

I’m sorry, but that is just wrong. We have many instances of formal Christian buldings before 318.

quote:
Yes, the early Christians faced much persecution but it wasn't constant, AIUI, and I'd have thought they had enough time and resources to at least build something if they wanted to.

And we have ample evidence that they did – that they converted buildings and set them aside for formal worship. A few articles on this: Rainer Riesner, “What does archaeology teach us about early house churches?” (TTK* 78:3-4, 2007), pp.159-185; Karl Olav Sandnes, “Ekklēsia at Corinth: Between Private and Public” (TTK 78:3-4, 2007), pp.248-265.

My point, however, was a more methodological one: The Church from whom we have received the New Testament did not abolish, but instead held tightly onto the belief that there is a place for holy grounds, sacred sites, consecrated spaces or edifying edifices.

* TTK = Tidsskrift for teologi og kirke, a Norwegian peer reviewde Journal of theology. Translated, the title means something like Journal for Theology and Church.

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best preserved early church is usually reckoned to be that at Dura-Europos and dates from 235AD, well before the Battle of Milvian Bridge, let alone the formalising of Christianity as state religion.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
quote:
Those churches were built for the Glory and worship of God.

Because it was God and not the priest that stood in front of the people collecting their adulation. It was God and not the priests that had their lifestyles funded. And you wonder why people are cynical that things were done for the greater glory of God rather than the greater glory of the Church. (The RCC is, by the way, certainly not the only offender. Golden statues of a holy man who spent time as a beggar and is considered in another religion an avatar of Vishnu dealing with suffering of the poor are just as much of a problem. And don't get me started on Patriarch Kiril.)
No. Because the Sacrifice of the Mass was celebrated in those churches and God was glorified by that
I'll give you , Kyril however

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016