homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Communion of Saints

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Communion of Saints
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, we're discussing all kinds of interesting things lately, so why not?

I've heard this said by people before-- "I was worried about X,and then all of a sudden I felt this reassurance that someone was praying for me." (and then they find out people were, etc.)

OK< the Holy Spirit may be at work providing that reassurance at the right moment, or maybe He's doing so simply by activating the person's awareness that people are there somewhere, and if they know those people are praying--like, because they said they would-- it's comforting. No mystery.

Here's the thing, though-- I was praying for someone two nights ago-- someone I met years ago,who isn't very religious at all, who probably doesn't even remember me, and who certainly has no idea they are on my prayer list. This person just made an impression on me, had peculiar struggles and from time to time I hold them up.

The night in question, something weird happened. I got this overwhelming sense of peace and contentment, and the sense that someone somewhere was, like, reaching out, grabbing for my prayer as if it was a life ring. Further meditation gave me another conviction-- that my prayer had somehow coincided with this person's own dialogue with God, that they'd taken a floundering stab at prayer, or maybe even wandered into a church, but some active attempt to consider God.

I post this in All Saints as I know people will have all kinds of opinions about the genesis of my feelings-- I myself went over what I'd eaten that evening-- but all I really want to know is, has anyone else felt this way? And what do you take from it, if so?

[ 26. May 2013, 07:48: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cant say I've had one of those, but it sounds like a pretty cool experience! [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This for me is an extension of the moment when you think of someone and then the phone rings. People come into my mind, whether or not I have been in touch with them recently, sometimes they are from way back, and like you I hold them up in prayer. Occasionally I receive a sense of peace or more, as you have said, a sense of significance for the prayer, an affirmation of it from God. I don't know why, and have never found out whether the moment was actually significant for the person concerned.

A friend who speaks in tongues told me that he sometimes is prompted to pray and has no idea who it is he is praying for, only that prayer is needed for someone.

I think that there is a lot we don't know about how connected we are to each other, and God.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I've had this sort of experience. Although some of the most powerful ones were for people who were already dead.

One in particular, not a friend or relative but a work related relationship. The person had a very troubled life and an equally troubled death.

I felt a strong need to pray for her not long after I became a Christian although she had already been dead for some years.

As for what I took from it and the others since, pretty much what Raptor Eye said - it's all very mysterious, I just know to go with the flow.

Eventually I did pray for her and instantly felt some sort of release. I have no idea if the prayer was for her benefit or for mine.

[ 26. May 2013, 14:27: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Messed up the editing. The penultimate para should be the conclusion.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I suspect it works in reverse as well. I have occasionally felt very bad and suspected that someone has a grievance that they are rehearsing at that time.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(gulp)

Without going into detail, I ran across friend-of a friend type info that indicates to me that the person in question was indeed going through quite a big upheaval in the time frame indicated. Nothing bad, necessarily, just an upheaval.

I sure as hell intend to keep praying.

[ 01. June 2013, 23:10: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016