homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Music to my ears

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Music to my ears
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this is the board for it, but I'd like to start a thread on musical experiences, especially those which enlarge knowledge and enjoyment, though there is always room for the dire tales of ignorant teachers who destroyed their students' confidence in singing/playing..

My most recent new experience was taking part in a West Gallery singing day. Traditionally, as they date from an era before church organs became the norm, West Gallery hymns were accompanied by a band, so I took my concertina, which meant I could both sing and play. Great fun. the instruments were assigned to the four vocal parts, i.e. soprano, alto, tenor and bass. And we did have a serpent in the bass section.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh, the days of the west end viol band.

Apparently they were notorious for licentious behaviour and drunkenness...

Although often imagined to be an ancient tradition, in fact they only flourished for about 160-200 years. The singers arrived in galleries before the instrument players and there was no set ensemble, it just depended on what was available locally.

Of course, with them being in a gallery and bright enough to learn an instrument they were often seen as being stroppy... so no change there then!

Thomas Hardy's description of a band is apparently borne out by parish records in Stinsford.

A modern equivalent would be an organist at a London church in the late 1980s: had a pre-arranged drinks do at his normal place of work when his vicar announced a service for the Assumption. A war of words led to vicar threatening to sack if the organist didn't play so he duly appeared: unfortunately he failed to sufficiently disguise the theme for his extemporisation at the end.

The vicar was shouting "You're sacked" as the gentle strains of Hooray and up she rises floated from the organ... [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Carnival Band" run a singing workshop along the lines of a gallery band. Darllenwr took part in one in Swansea a few years ago, and we're hoping to do something similar in our church.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My most interesting musical experience was a Plainsong workshop in Totnes. I have sung a small amount of Plainsong before (most notably for Compline), but this brought together several different techniques and strands, together with the history of Plainchant, but given by a dynamic teacher who made it interesting and fun. It was particularly strange trying to sing melismas which sound quite Eastern to our ears.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having the privilege of singing in both junior and senior chorus while in high school. They both met 4th period -- junior chorus on Tuesday/Thursday and senior chorus on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. This meant I had chorus every day! Fifty years later, I can still sing from memory many of the pieces we learned.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't sung in a choir since school but am being pestered to join the church choir. I am really enjoying sung services and am rediscovering my love of singing, but don't feel very confident with the hymns we sing - we use the New English Hymnal and I know hardly any of them!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orchestral musician here. I am the principal cellist in an amateur orchestra. The reason I am principal cellist is (a) I possibly play slightly better than the others and (b) amateurs, and particularly amateurs who play low instruments, are spectacularly unambitious and nobody else wanted to do it so I decided to take on my demons and be brave.

I am one of those people who got terrorised by evil music teachers in my teens and consequently didn't touch my cello for the best part of ten years. I took it up again about three or four years ago, the orchestra has been awesome in this respect (start out by hiding in the mass and pretending no one can see me) and since September I've been taking lessons with an amazing conservatoire teacher who also is a very nice guy and has the patience of Job. His teaching method is amazing on the one hand but takes a lot of patience on the other - it's all based on acquiring muscle memory, which I totally see the point of, but it means that you have to do some quite boring things a lot of times before you get it. Worth it though, I think.

Here is a linky of us playing Wagner.* Which was frankly much too hard for us and we'll never be foolish enough to play anything so bloody difficult again.

*I actually kinda hate this video. My teacher tells me all the time not to move my head but I'd never realised quite what a nodding dog I am until I watched this. OTOH, I am more or less successfully playing a bloody hard bit of Wagner and I'm quite proud of that.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got to the age now where I don't want to 'do' music any more, I want to sit and listen to music instead. And that is a very profound lifestyle change, quite unnerving, but a rather pleasant change.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by la vie en rouge
Here is a linky of us playing Wagner.* Which was frankly much too hard for us and we'll never be foolish enough to play anything so bloody difficult again.

Don't be so hard on yourself, it was pretty good. One advantage of playing in large concert halls is that the audience isn't close enough to hear the rough edges; and larger orchestras smooth out the tones of everyone while a smaller ensembles leaves you more exposed.

As for people not volunteering: my mother once promised someone I'd play the french horn for their orchestra with less than 24 hours before the concert; when I arrived for the afternoon rehearsal I was stunned to discover I was on the lead desk [Ultra confused] Less stunned after the rehearsal - we gave a performance of Finlandia that froze the blood and I'm pretty sure must have made Sibelius spin in his grave like a top. [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Having the privilege of singing in both junior and senior chorus while in high school. They both met 4th period -- junior chorus on Tuesday/Thursday and senior chorus on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. This meant I had chorus every day! Fifty years later, I can still sing from memory many of the pieces we learned.

I had a very similar experience, singing in the chorus throughout my schooling. We had a wonderful teacher (thank you forever, Mrs. G******!) who taught us a wide variety of sacred music, from Bach to the then-novel "Jesus Freak music" of late 60's/early 70's. In public school, mind you, we sang Christmas sacred and secular, sacred Easter cantatas at Easter, and "Jesus Christ Superstar", and a Billy Graham set ("Tell it Like it s") once as well.

Her influence, by her calm manner and quiet control remain with me to this day - she could silence a room with a glance, but was about the gentlest and most self-possessed person I've ever known.

But recently, after not singing publicly for decades, a friend asked, as a favor, if I could brace up the tenor section for Christmas (he knows I have a big mouth). In practice one evening, after a couple of warms ups, drills, corrections, and re-tries, we simply nailed the "Hallelujah" Chorus. The room went silent for a bit after it was over, it was that good. I'd often wondered what it would be like to be in the midst of such singing, participating, and it was truly transcendent. I get teary thinking of it yet.

My 2 cents - enjoying other's stories as well, thanks!

[ 14. May 2013, 19:41: Message edited by: TomOfTarsus ]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a superb choirmaster at school and we did three concerts a year. He taught us the discipline of choral singing and paying attention to a conductor. I was also in the Southend Boys Choir and we did quite a few concerts in London. My most memorable was a Henry Wood Promenade Concert where we did the Berlioz Te Deum. I loved singing that piece anyway and the audience responded really well, giving a great cheer as we finished.

I've just Googled the choirmaster - Michael Crabb - and see that he retired five years ago which isn't really a surprise. He is now organist and choirmaster at a local church. I'm delighted he is still sharing the gift of music.

[ 14. May 2013, 21:17: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Music has been such a big part of my life that it would be hard to pin down a single experience.

I suppose my first "Ooh, I say!" moment was when I was six years old, and was taken to see the grammar school's production of H.M.S. Pinafore, and I decided there and then that I had to do that one day (which I did, almost 20 years later). I still love G & S.

Through the St. Magnus Festival in Orkney, I've been involved in several "world premieres", and even had a part in a children's opera written for me ("Widow Grumble" in Peter Maxwell Davies's Cinderella).

I was privileged to take part in a performance of Tallis's wonderful 40-part motet Spem in alium when we lived in Belfast, and would love to do it again.

Those might be highlights, but to be honest, I get a huge buzz every Sunday singing in the Cathedral choir - I love the music we do and the fact that it's appreciated by the clergy and congregation. There's something very satisfying about making a good job of a complicated anthem and seeing the Dean grinning like the Cheshire Cat at the end of it.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I come from a musical family who always had the radio on, had a sizeable record collection, and could all play the piano, if not the violin as well. Music was part of the fabric of everyday life when I was growing up, and I also learnt to play piano and violin (though I never quite took to the latter) and had a collection of recorders. I played in the school orchestra and performed at college concerts and was in the choir.

When I left university all of that stopped overnight. There was no access to a piano, and I couldn't play my recorders in rented accommodation. I then found a boyfriend who liked classical music - he turned out to be a complete utter snob about it and I ended up hating anything to do with it. Especially the Proms, which were the highlight of his year.

Stupidly, after that I had a brief acquaintance with another young man who was, if possible, even more of a music snob. Unfortunately there are a lot of these around and I have failed their tests by not liking Mahler, not thinking Schubert is the ultimate, not loving cello concertos, not being a huge opera fan and liking Beethoven.

So there we are. The annoyance has faded but I guess I just got out of the habit of listening to music. Once in a blue moon I make a conscious effort to play a CD - no point in having a collection that's just gathering dust - or remind myself to listen to the radio, but on the whole, I usually don't. These days I seem to be more visually focused and get absorbed in photography, Photoshop, drawing or art books instead.

And yet there always seems to be a tune or a melody in my head so I guess I haven't quite lost the ability.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:

But recently, after not singing publicly for decades, a friend asked, as a favor, if I could brace up the tenor section for Christmas (he knows I have a big mouth). In practice one evening, after a couple of warms ups, drills, corrections, and re-tries, we simply nailed the "Hallelujah" Chorus. The room went silent for a bit after it was over, it was that good. I'd often wondered what it would be like to be in the midst of such singing, participating, and it was truly transcendent. I get teary thinking of it yet.

Yes. Being in the middle of the music is a completely different experience. Last year I played in the orchestra for Mozart's Requiem (I probably could have had a decent attempt at singing it, but I get more enjoyment from being in the orchestra). At the end of a whole day rehearsal we played a run-through of the whole thing and when we got to the Recordare it was just perfection. It sounds completely different from the orchestra than from the audience. I think if anything it was more sublime for the fact that we were playing it for its own sake and not for an audience. I don't think life gets much better.

[ 15. May 2013, 08:18: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by la vie en rouge
... I think if anything it was more sublime for the fact that we were playing it for its own sake and not for an audience. I don't think life gets much better.

Very dangerous. Many a stop puller will tell you that the most enjoyment they get is from playing in an empty church so be careful, you may be a closet organist! [Biased]

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

I was privileged to take part in a performance of Tallis's wonderful 40-part motet Spem in alium when we lived in Belfast, and would love to do it again.

It's definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience which all singers able to sing one-to-a-part should try. I loved the way you could hear the sound going round the room as each small part of the choir started singing in turn. But I did find it rather scary as well, so if there is a next time I shall probably duck out. Or chicken out. Or something.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Music has been such a big part of my life that it would be hard to pin down a single experience.

^This.

During a discussion with my Mother about Tyres the character from Spaced who has a habit of making everyday rhythms into music in his head, I was informed that as a toddler I used to dance to the sound of people stirring cups of tea. Music: resistance is futile.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I now feel very odd for not having been musical and surrounded by music all my life! I just love to sing, but I can't read music or name composers (apart from film music composers) at all.

But then, history has been part of my life in the way music has been for some people on this thread...

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took a couple years of piano as a child and many years of violin, but never was very talented. I sing now with a very good classical group. But I'd have to say my most moving musical times were when I was a child. We had a player piano in the basement that worked only as a piano; the player part was broken. Often, very often, I would hear that old piano making the most beautiful music I have ever heard, better than some of the most sophisticated compositions I have heard since, sometimes simple and melodic, sometimes very elusive. Always it was when no one was around, rare in our large family, no one in the basement. And when I would creep down and open the door to peek, the music would stop suddenly. All this scared me at first, but I came to accept and enjoy it for the couple years it lasted.

So, call me crazy. It was a nice crazy.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
Music: resistance is futile.
Agreed. Who wants to resist? [Big Grin] Rich Mullins once said
quote:
"The thing that's cool about music is how unnecessary it is. Of all things, music is the most frivolous and the most useless. You can't eat it, you can't drive it, you can't live in it, you can't wear it. But your life wouldn't be worth much without it."
Now my wife & I had taken my very young granddaughter to see The Nutcracker when she was 5 or so, and to see her swept away by the music & pagentry, dancing in the corner... fond memory...

Now, Jade Constable you have the bug for sure. You don't have to be a PhD Bach scholar, if you love to sing, you've got it! Is there anything like pulling in a good chestful of air and singing with full joy on Christmas or Easter? I call the three pews in front of me the "blast zone"! [Snigger] My kids used to get so embarrassed... [Disappointed] <==my kids

CuppaT, that's fascinating; you may have entertained angels unaware!

[ 16. May 2013, 12:09: Message edited by: TomOfTarsus ]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
... a once-in-a-lifetime experience which all singers able to sing one-to-a-part should try. I loved the way you could hear the sound going round the room as each small part of the choir started singing in turn ...

We weren't actually one-to-a-part; it was sung by eight whole five-part choirs, and the Cathedral choir, of which I was one of the altos, was Choir II (Belfast cathedral is a huge barn of a building, and most of the choirs were small-ish).

Janet Cardiff's wonderful sound-installation Forty part motet, made by recording a performance by Salisbury Cathedral Choir with each part on a single channel, was put on at The Rooms art gallery here a few years ago; you walked around the room, listening to each individual voice on one of forty speakers - quite an experience.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

*I actually kinda hate this video. My teacher tells me all the time not to move my head but I'd never realised quite what a nodding dog I am until I watched this. OTOH, I am more or less successfully playing a bloody hard bit of Wagner and I'm quite proud of that.

I rather liked it: I've heard it twice. I am trying to get my wife to listen: she played cello when she was young.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'd say you were in good company with your nodding-dog pose, La Vie - have you ever seen film-clips of Jacqueline du Pré?

Having said that, I remember with fondness a (sadly now deceased) string instructor from my old school, whose cello had such a long floor-spike that he appeared to be practically horizontal with the cello on top of him, and a beatific expression on his face.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016