homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trisagion

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Trisagion
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd respond on the purg thread but I suspect we might be told off.

And I'm trying to be a Good Girl these days.

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:

Evensong, that you of all people would lecture anyone about communication proves that you completely lack a sense of irony.

Is that right?

I think I communicate quite well in purgatory.

I essentially said the same thing you did. I just managed to say it without sounding like a pompous idiot.

I usually reserve my pomposity for Hell ( tho I admit, I do occasionally get carried away in purg ).

quote:
Nothing further needs to be said - indeed would be otiose.

Before people learnt to read and write perhaps. And believed everything they were told. And nobody bothered to explain details to them because they couldn't possibly understand the complex details.

Otiose to you perhaps - but not normal people. (Fuck me, I thought I was bombastic. Otiose?)

But unless you hadn't noticed, were not in the Dark Ages anymore Toto.

Jaysus, Mary and Joseph man - you sounded almost as bad as CL on that thread.

Safety in the Lord's promise?

Pious twattery.

Hate to break it to you mate, but the Church is not perfect.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't vouch for the niceness of the comment, just that continuing to argue the point would indeed be otiose. What point is there in trying to argue objective truth with people that don't even believe in the simplest demands of objectivity or rationality?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I point out that using otiose on an Internet forum is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in quite a while?

No? Oh well, as the poet said: TS, Eliot.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
May I point out that using otiose on an Internet forum is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in quite a while?

I'm so glad to have given you such entertainment. Get out much?

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I do not. They are getting better about fastening the straps.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong vouchsafed:
quote:
(Fuck me, I thought I was bombastic. Otiose?)
Yup - both.

Likewise jejune.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My goodness, ES, you certainly are a delicate little flower. All Trisagion did was criticise your communication skills; imagine how badly your jimmies might have been rustled if he'd actually made a personal attack on you.

This Hell thread is piss-weak.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This Hell thread is piss-weak. [/QB]
That's as may be, but Evensong wanted to complain about the tone of Trisagion's comments, rather than addressing the actual content. AIUI, Hell is the place for this.

Says I, having started a couple of similarly piss-weak Hell threads in my time here!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
My goodness, ES, you certainly are a delicate little flower. All Trisagion did was criticise your communication skills; imagine how badly your jimmies might have been rustled if he'd actually made a personal attack on you.

A thread is only as strong as the participants. Get it?

That's not personal, but if people want better threads, let's have better posts. You're allowed to think in Hell too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And stink too. You're allowed to stink. Don't forget that.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I can't vouch for the niceness of the comment, just that continuing to argue the point would indeed be otiose. What point is there in trying to argue objective truth with people that don't even believe in the simplest demands of objectivity or rationality?

This sums up getting into any argument with Evensong, as far as I've ever witnessed.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
I'd respond on the purg thread but I suspect we might be told off.

And I'm trying to be a Good Girl these days.

quote:

Evensong, that you of all people would lecture anyone about communication proves that you completely lack a sense of irony.

Is that right?

I think I communicate quite well in purgatory.

I essentially said the same thing you did. I just managed to say it without sounding like a pompous idiot.

I usually reserve my pomposity for Hell ( tho I admit, I do occasionally get carried away in purg ).

quote:

Before people learnt to read and write perhaps. And believed everything they were told. And nobody bothered to explain details to them because they couldn't possibly understand the complex details.

Otiose to you perhaps - but not normal people. (Fuck me, I thought I was bombastic. Otiose?)

But unless you hadn't noticed, were not in the Dark Ages anymore Toto.

Jaysus, Mary and Joseph man - you sounded almost as bad as CL on that thread.

Safety in the Lord's promise?

Pious twattery.

Hate to break it to you mate, but the Church is not perfect.

ES, much as it pains me I have to agree with Trisagion. The post quoted is typical of your posts elsewhere (except it is longer) as there are very few paragraphs beyond a couple of sentences. No message flows and it reads like statements or soundbites. It looks from a distance like Mousethief's Greatest Posts.

It's very difficult to follow an argument presented like this, whatever the merits of the points being made.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes you're right. I do do soundbites too often. Kind of stream of consciousness stuff (verbal diarrhea?). But surely I'm fairly coherent in purg. Take these two examples. Surely they're comprehensible? I'm not that bad on other parts of the ship.

As for my OP, Trisagion knew what I was on about.

And yes Trisagion, this was much better. "I dunno but I trust the church" sounds more friendly, honest, and reasonable than it's wrong cos scripture and the church say so. It also invites discussion rather than closes it.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong, you've done something I thought was almost impossible. Made me agree with Trisagion. [Ultra confused] [Eek!]

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
<tripe not worth spending pixels on>

ES, much as it pains me I have to agree with Trisagion. The post quoted is typical of your posts elsewhere (except it is longer) as there are very few paragraphs beyond a couple of sentences. No message flows and it reads like statements or soundbites. It looks from a distance like Mousethief's Greatest Posts.

It's very difficult to follow an argument presented like this, whatever the merits of the points being made.

This really is an Evensong Hell Call. Trisagion should retire from the field.

Sioni Sais is bang on target.

Evensong, your posts are random ejaculatory statements. The logic that may (or may not) link them together remains hidden beneath the cover of your fevered brow. You rarely bother to write the prose necessary to convince your reader to agree with you as you hop from disjointed statement to disjointed statement, as if you were some demented frog, traversing the lilypads of your private mental pond.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
[Y]our posts are random ejaculatory statements. The logic that may (or may not) link them together remains hidden beneath the cover of your fevered brow. You rarely bother to write the prose necessary to convince your reader to agree with you as you hop from disjointed statement to disjointed statement, as if you were some demented frog, traversing the lilypads of your private mental pond.

Quotes file.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

ISTM, Evensong got this part right (minus the idiot part) at the time of her OP. Because the statement below certainly seemed pompous.
quote:

The clarification asked for by SCK contradicted this, yes, but was after she posted the OP.

Side note: The perceived arrogance is what prompted my post.
Looking at the timing of the posts, I am at fault for missing the clarification.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:

Evensong, your posts are random ejaculatory statements. The logic that may (or may not) link them together remains hidden beneath the cover of your fevered brow. You rarely bother to write the prose necessary to convince your reader to agree with you as you hop from disjointed statement to disjointed statement, as if you were some demented frog, traversing the lilypads of your private mental pond.

Aaaaaaawwwww, maaaaaaaate. We rolled out the barrel just the other day! I thought we were best friends now!
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, it is worse than that - it is Carling Black Label!!!

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

I disagree. The OP might not have been of the finest but it invited all sorts of incoming, some of which wasn't so bad.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:

So....?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Geeze Louise Evensong. I can't view your link because my anti virus program says it is dangerous. What did you link to anyway?
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See ES? That is efficient communication.

--------------------

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Any Hell thread which inspires the following exchange can't be all bad:
quote:
I'm so glad to have given you such entertainment. Get out much?

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
No, I do not. They are getting better about fastening the straps.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Geeze Louise Evensong. I can't view your link because my anti virus program says it is dangerous. What did you link to anyway?

Maria from the Sound of Music whirling in the grass meadows in her nun outfit, arms outstretched. With the phrase "Look at all the fucks I do not give" put around the picture.

I agree with your anti-virus software - Sound of Music is dangerous. It's liable to make your teeth fall out from saccharine sweetness, and your brain explode from the sheer stupidity of it all.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But it does make the point, which cannot be made too often, that all nice Austrians were against the Nazis. So they say.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
But it does make the point, which cannot be made too often, that all nice Austrians were against the Nazis. So they say.

If they weren't against the Nazis, then they weren't nice Austrians.

--------------------

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Weren't the nice Austrians only against the Nazis because the Nazis were German and the nice Austrians were pro-Austria? Making them the Austrian version of the English Defense League...

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loads of Nazis were Austrians. Never mind the obvious one, there's also Ernst Kaltenbrunner. Thousands of Austrians welcomed German troops into Austria in 1938, happy as they were to be "back in the Empire".

It's a modern miracle that they've managed to convince not only themselves, but also others that they were "victims". In fact they're got some dodgy politics going on there now.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Loads of Nazis were Austrians.

But surely not any nice ones.

(Although they do seem oddly reluctant to give people back their grandparents' paintings somehow.)

--------------------

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

quote:
But surely not any nice ones.
Nope. Just Rolf.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

Maybe the good ones were, but plenty of good people aren't nice at all.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Maybe the good ones were, but plenty of good people aren't nice at all.
And there are plenty examples of that on the Ship.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

No doubt those are the folks who believe in tough love and telling you things for your own good.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People like Eichmann were apparently loving parents. My understanding of Philip Zimbardo is that any nice person is capable of doing evil things.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

We have this picture in our minds that people who do bad things must be thoroughly bad. This is not generally the case.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
People like Eichmann were apparently loving parents. My understanding of Philip Zimbardo is that any nice person is capable of doing evil things.

Achebe says it all

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016