homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vancouver - Seattle - Vancouver (and points in between)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Vancouver - Seattle - Vancouver (and points in between)
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meant to post this weeks ago, but it's never too late...

Off to Vancouver later this week. Staying 4 days then driving down to Seattle via the Cascades, then to the Olympic Peninsula for a few days, ending with a couple of days on Vancouver Island. Two and a half weeks in all.

We have a few ideas: walking, whale-watching (if we're lucky) coffee, live music, watching the sun set, avoiding bears, getting rained on in Seattle. Any more suggestions of things to do/see from those of you who know the area would be much appreciated.

I'd also be grateful for recommendations for churches in Vancouver and Seattle. We go to an open evangelical church in London, but my inclinations are much higher up the candle (though I wouldn't want to terrify Mr Ags!)

Thank you (goes off to look for camera battery charger and other sundry devices to put in the suitcase)

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you really like going up the candle, St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral in Seattle does a glorious Sunday night Compline service, if you're in town on Sunday.

Things to do in Seattle: take the ferries across to Bremerton (longer) or Winslow/Bainbridge (shorter). Go to Snoqualmie Falls. Climb the water tower in Volunteer Park (just as good a view as the Space Needle, and free). There is also a wonderful conservatory in that park. For a view of downtown Seattle, Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill is unbeatable. (You can find all these things on Google Maps.)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ship's cat

stowaway
# 11793

- Posted      Profile for ship's cat   Email ship's cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're in Vancouver this Sunday (May 26) Bishop James Tengatenga of Malawi will be preaching at Christ Church Cathedral (10.30am).

In Vancouver Grouse Mountain is well worth a visit, as is the aquarium, and walking or cycling round the Stanley Park seawall is fabulous. Lynn Valley in North Van has great walks - and a free suspension bridge. If you have time, the west coast of Vancouver Island (Ucluelet and Tofino) is spectacular and we've had some great whale watching trips from there - including seeing sea otters, sea lions and a swimming wolf as well as whales. The shops, market and buskers on Granville island are fun. PM me if you'd like more recommendations, or suggestions of places to eat.

Looks like it will be typical Vancouver spring weather of cloud, showers and a little bit of sun.

--------------------
Custom without truth is but the longevity of error. St Cyprian

Posts: 310 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you both very much for your helpful suggestions. Lots there to think about and add to the list.
ship's cat - I may PM you from the airport or from our guest house (staying at O Canada House. Apparently the breakfasts are good!)

Thanks again
Ags

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Brit who has been to Vancouver Island and Vancouver a couple of times, can I add the following:

From the timetable you've outlined, you won't have much time enjoy all the pleasures of Vancouver Island. A lot depends on how much travelling you want to do.

Whilst Ucluelet and Tofino are certainly worth a visit, it's a long way there (and back) when you're only on the island for a couple of days. Assuming that you're going to be based in or around Victoria, I would highly recommend a tour on the Victoria Harbour Ferry. Alternatively, it is from Victoria Harbour that you can book whale-watching trips.

Butchart Gardens is well worth a visit, if flowers and trees are your thing.

For a really great, peaceful day out, catch an early ferry from Swartz Bay to Galiano Island and explore it (on foot if possible). If Belinda Carlisle is right and heaven really is a place on earth, then Galiano is the place. Not far from the ferry port, there is a really great cafe where they do wonderful lunches.

As for Vancouver - definitely go to Granville Island Market. And a wander around Stanley Park is always deeply satisfying. Don't forget the tour buses - if you buy a ticket you can hop on and off all day, and so can cover a large part of the city very easily. There are some great restaurants in the Gastown area.

I don't know anything about Seattle. But I wish I was with you on Vancouver Island! Enjoy.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

Thank you! Yes, we only have a couple of days in Vancouver Island and will be staying in Victoria. The Harbour Ferry sounds like a good plan and we'll check out the gardens. Currently in a coffee shop in Gastown and will come back later to eat. Off to Granville Island tomorrow. Beautiful weather here at the moment [Smile]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ags:
Thank you! Yes, we only have a couple of days in Vancouver Island and will be staying in Victoria. The Harbour Ferry sounds like a good plan and we'll check out the gardens. Currently in a coffee shop in Gastown and will come back later to eat. Off to Granville Island tomorrow. Beautiful weather here at the moment [Smile]

I am sooooo jealous!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016