homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Corpus Christi (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Corpus Christi
Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

- Posted      Profile for Devils Advocate   Email Devils Advocate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Feast of Corpus Christi is nearly upon us (30th May this year) As is usual in our parish the feast will be transferred to the next Sunday (2nd June)
This year we are in interregnum and are without a Parish Priest and are having to rely on an exceptionally obliging NSM I am trying to sort out how we will celebrate the feast.
Father is quite willing to officiate and carry the Blessed Sacrament in procession round the Churchyard but there seems to be some problem with some of our congregation as to wether we do it after the Parish Mass or leave it till the evening when we would normally have our now Monthly Evensong and Benediction.
I have come up with 2 alternatives:

(1) Parish Mass finishing with the "O Salutaris" and then the procession of the Blessed Sacrament returning to the High Altar and then leaving the B.S. exposed in the monstrance on the altar till the evening and having Evensong with the BS exposed and then concluding with Benediction as usual ( missing out "O Salutaris")

or

(2) Parish Mass as usual with no blessing but going straight into the procession as above and finishing with the Tantum Ergo and Benediction.

Advice please

--------------------
"Oh I have wrought much evil with my spells"

Posts: 97 | From: Lincs | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What we do at our place is basically your second option but I really like your first one!
Wish we had a church yard for procession

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
What we do at our place is basically your second option but I really like your first one!

Ditto
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tough decision. On the one hand, sometimes one can slip practices like this into the parish customary during an interregnum. On the other hand, it's tough teaching and coaching a Sunday supply person to do something out of the ordinary.

As is my normal practice, I'd defer to time issues. If you can do it without making the morning service take too much longer, than do it. Perhaps you can cut something shorter earlier to facilitate it--a sermon, eliminate a long anthem, whatever.

If this is a new practice and prolongs the service greatly, you'll hear cries to move it to Evensong.

Be efficient, like a well-oiled machine, in whatever you do.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's fantastic that Pope Francis is encouraging exposition around the world on June 2nd. I think a lovely ecumenical gesture would be for non RCs to pray at same time or pray at the set time in their local RC church.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So if I understand it aright, the difference between the alternatives is whether the O Salutaris is sung before or after the procession? Or between doing either versus deferring it to Evensong?
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

- Posted      Profile for Devils Advocate   Email Devils Advocate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really no Its more a case of if we have the complete rite of Benediction after Mass or just the first half of it. You can't expose the BS without singing O Salutaris The options are:
O Salutaris, Procession then leave the BS exposed till the evening then have Evensong followed by Tantum ergo benediction and finish
or Mass O Salutaris Procession Tantum ergo Benediction and finish. In the latter case Evensong will just be that with no Benediction.
( Or as I'm considering cancel evensong as the numbers in the congregation for it are poor)

--------------------

Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Devil's Advocate:
The options are:
O Salutaris, Procession then leave the BS exposed till the evening then have Evensong followed by Tantum ergo benediction and finish
or Mass O Salutaris Procession Tantum ergo Benediction and finish. In the latter case Evensong will just be that with no Benediction.
( Or as I'm considering cancel evensong as the numbers in the congregation for it are poor)

If the congregation for evensong is likely to be so low, does this mean that the MBS would be exposed in an empty church between the two services, or would there be a skeleton adoration party, as it were? If the former, then I think it's due to the dignity of the Sacrament to have Benediction after Mass and then put it away.

If not, then I suppose the question is of whether you want to give benediction to the most people (i.e. at Mass) or view the thing as a benediction of the whole orbis terra &c &c, and keep it in its usual place after evensong.

In a sense I almost envy you: it's hard enough convincing father to go outside for procession, even without the MBS in the world's heaviest gothic monstrance...

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the face of it, I would prefer option (2).

If option (1) is taken up, then the adoration squad between morning Mass and Evensong, needs to be adequate to cover non-stop - that is if the church remains open. If on the other hand, the church is locked up during this time, then no-one is to know if the MBS is reposed immediately after closure and replaced in the monstrance immediately before unlocking the church for evensong etc..

[ 18. May 2013, 12:24: Message edited by: Ecclesiastical Flip-flop ]

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
then no-one is to know if the MBS is reposed immediately after closure and replaced in the monstrance immediately before unlocking the church for evensong etc..

Really?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
then no-one is to know if the MBS is reposed immediately after closure and replaced in the monstrance immediately before unlocking the church for evensong etc..

Really?
There may be more than one meaning to that.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

St. Mary the Virgin in New York processes through Times Square on Corpus Christi (celebrated on Sunday). I participated a few years ago. A remarkable experience.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The UK equivalent of that might be All Saints, Margaret Street, London, processing with the MBS along Oxford Street (on the evening of Corpus Christi Day itself, of course)! Most seemly and edifying (and perhaps mystifying to those peering down on the procession from the upper deck of buses......).

Do they still do it, I wonder? Enquiring minds need to know.....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They certainly do. I intend to attend again.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now what about hymns for Corpus Christi?

We often sing
Sweet Sacrament Divine.

Have any modern hymns found a regular place in Corpus C liturgy?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:

I've fond memories of the procession at St Matthias Bellwoods with "One bread, one body"!
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We often sing
Sweet Sacrament Divine.

At the Lamb's High Feast we Sing, fo' sho'.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Whatever else is sung, the Lauda Sion and Pange Lingua, choc full of Thomist goodies as they are, are surely irreplaceable.

Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence is invaluable for ensuring the required level of solemnity of any exposition... [Two face]

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the time for me to suggest "Shine Jesus Shine"?
[Paranoid]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Is this the time for me to suggest "Shine Jesus Shine"?
[Paranoid]

I'm having a vision of a monstrance with integral backlight. [lies down until it goes away]

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Hmmm... not sure about Shine Jesus shine!

But...

are there modern hymns celebrating the Body of Christ?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

Like this, you mean?
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shine, Jesus, Shine is for Candlemas not Corpus Christi.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We often sing
Sweet Sacrament Divine.

Lat year, we had "Hail, True Victim, Life and Light" as the procession hymn, and "Soul Of My Sviour" as the recessional hymn, plus a couple motets. No procession, because all the clergy were away and we had a fill-in.

I don't know if there will be a procession for us this year, I'm thinking probably not, with the current state of things. Apparently, we're having vespers and benediction in the evening.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

Thurible

[Killing me] Damn. That spoils all my fun.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Actually I must get a friend to translate SJS into Latin - might make it more acceptable to the purists ...

--------------------

Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

An oldie but a goodie [Two face]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thurible

Or The Transfiguration.

[ 22. May 2013, 16:25: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure how many (extra) years we'll have to spend in Purgatory, but Father says we'll keep Corpus Christi at our usual Wednesday 730pm Mass i.e. on the eve. IOW, we'll have the appropriate readings, and after Communion will duly process the MBS around the Church to Sweet Sacrament Divine, before Benediction.

Given that our usual Wednesday congo is 8-10, and a few at least are away on holiday (it's half-term week in parts of the UK), some of us may well have to multi-task......

Ian J.
[Paranoid]

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Not sure how many (extra) years we'll have to spend in Purgatory, but Father says we'll keep Corpus Christi at our usual Wednesday 730pm Mass i.e. on the eve.

No purg. required - by 7.30pm you will have had the 1st evensong/vespers of the feast so it WILL BE the feast by then.

[Edit: UBB mayhem]

[ 25. May 2013, 21:54: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Disappointed]

Transfiguration of course.

[As I now realise Leo already said]

You can think of it as a very loose paraphrase of selected verses from Psalm 80 if it makes you feel better [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually I must get a friend to translate SJS into Latin - might make it more acceptable to the purists ...

Someone on Twitter tried doing that using Google Translate yesterday; the results were ... interesting.

Carys (who is off to Cambridge for the feast)

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:

Someone on Twitter tried doing that using Google Translate yesterday; the results were ... interesting.

Carys (who is off to Cambridge for the feast)

Ah - so just a simple Gospel service at LSM no doubt..... [Two face]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
.Ah - so just a simple Gospel service at LSM no doubt..... [Two face]

That's the one.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems our (very) High Church vicar is observing the festival tomorrow. Not sure whether to go or not, but there is wine cheese and biccies after the service.( He likes his wine [Smile] )- not sure about the actual Liturgy but......

As I understand it then

We have a normal [Two face] Solemn Eucharist, followed by a Procession of the Blessed Sacrament around the church/ the grounds/ trip up the M4 etc to the hymn Laud O Sion?

And this is followed it seems by Solemn Benediction

Am I right?

Just looking up the music list

Ireland in C

Ave verum - Elgar

Tantum ergo - de Severac

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In some parts of Brazil, villagers make sawdust carpets for the procession to pass over. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see them tomorrow (I've seen them in Central America during Holy Week).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
In some parts of Brazil, villagers make sawdust carpets for the procession to pass over. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see them tomorrow (I've seen them in Central America during Holy Week).

Similar to the 'instruction' in Fortescue that the procession should pass over a bed of "flowers and green leaves" perhaps.

--------------------

Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
It seems our (very) High Church vicar is observing the festival tomorrow. Not sure whether to go or not, but there is wine cheese and biccies after the service.( He likes his wine [Smile] )- not sure about the actual Liturgy but......

As I understand it then

We have a normal [Two face] Solemn Eucharist, followed by a Procession of the Blessed Sacrament around the church/ the grounds/ trip up the M4 etc to the hymn Laud O Sion?

And this is followed it seems by Solemn Benediction

Am I right?

Yes, that's the shape of the liturgy (groan). [liturgical pedantry] Lauda Sion is a sequnce, though, not an hymn, though many places sing it to an unchanging hymn tune, so as to simplify things. [/liturgical pedantry]

You seem surprised that your vicar is keeping it today, but today is the Feast's proper day, it only being transferred to Sunday for convenience (for English RCs this is obligatory). As to whether to go, it *is* an Holyday of Obligation... [Razz]

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:
As to whether to go, it *is* an Holyday of Obligation... [Razz]

I thought it wasn't, and that's the reason it's transferred to the Sunday. In countries where it is of obligation it is kept on Thursday (like Ascension Day). That's my understanding of the RC rules, which of course may well not be accurate.

If you are talking about whether CC is a 'day of obligation' for Anglicans, well the C of E doesn't use that terminology. I think it is only an (optional) Feast, according to Common Worship. It doesn't exist at all, according to the BCP.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Roman Catholics, the feast is a solemnity (called first-class in the EF), and whether or not it is a holy day of obligation varies by country. Like the Epiphany and Ascension, when it is not a holy day of obligation, it is transferred to the following Sunday, as is the case in the USA, Canada, Australia and the UK. In some predominately Catholic countries, it is also public holiday.

In parishes and oratories where the Extraordinary Form is observed, the feast is still celebrated on Thursday, so the procession, etc. may be seen in such places today. However, the "external solemnity" (in practice, one of the Masses that day, and the procession) may be transferred to Sunday. This permission existed pre-Vatican II, as well.

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:
As to whether to go, it *is* an Holyday of Obligation... [Razz]

I thought it wasn't, and that's the reason it's transferred to the Sunday. In countries where it is of obligation it is kept on Thursday (like Ascension Day). That's my understanding of the RC rules, which of course may well not be accurate.
I was being cheeky in retro-fitting what I assumed was an Anglican situation with RC rules - if the feast is being kept on Thursday, then it is de facto a day of obligation (of course the whole Province transfers to Sunday for RCs, so this parish-by-parish thing is largely (?) Anglican). Even if the feast is transferred, of course, Sundays are days of Obligation, so there's no way out...

And yes, of course the CofE doesn't use that language. That doesn't stop some of us from doing so [Two face]

Ceremoniar is right to say that the external solemnity is often transferred to the nearest Sunday: even Fortescue presumes that the procession takes place then.

--------------------

Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

As a postscript to my original post we followed the first option ( Mass followed by procession and Benediction) And it all worked well. (Crucifer in Tunicle plus Acolytes 2 Thuribles etc.) The only problem was we ran out of Hymns before we got back into church ( NEH 307 followed by 305) By missing the sermon and intercessions we managed to have a Solemn Mass procession and benediction in about 65/70 Mins which is about the time our usual Sunday Solemn Mass takes including the Sermon and intercessions plus Angelus. It looks like we will follow the same format next year if we are still in interregnum. I am now listening to Sir Arthur Suliivan's "Irish Symphony" sat on the sofa with my feet up drinking a coffee and smoking a well earned cigarette with the rest of the day to myself ( as Evensong is cancelled) :-)

--------------------

Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at St Cecilia's Abbey, Ryde, for Corpus Christi on Thursday (I know, Thursday not Sunday, but a) the Abbess has jurisdiction and can basically do as she wishes and b) as a Solesmes house they follow a lot of French practices). They sang the whole sequence of Corpus Christi - four pages of gregorian chant just for that, regardless of the rest of the Mass. Has anyone else ever heard it?

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hezekiah:
I was at St Cecilia's Abbey, Ryde, for Corpus Christi on Thursday (I know, Thursday not Sunday, but a) the Abbess has jurisdiction and can basically do as she wishes and b) as a Solesmes house they follow a lot of French practices). They sang the whole sequence of Corpus Christi - four pages of gregorian chant just for that, regardless of the rest of the Mass. Has anyone else ever heard it?

Yes...Lauda Sion, one of my favorite sequences. I love the way the tune soars. We'll have it in English this morning. Our hymnal might not have all the stanzas; not sure. It's still pretty long.
Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I loved it too, particularly when sung by the combined numbers of the St Cecilia's Benedictines and the Wantage Ordinariate sisters - 40 nuns!

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was at St Cecilia's Abbey, Ryde, for Corpus Christi on Thursday (I know, Thursday not Sunday, but a) the Abbess has jurisdiction and can basically do as she wishes and

Sound Dame. (I can understand moving feasts to Sunday in parishes, but there's no pastoral reason for enclosed communities.)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:

Yes...Lauda Sion, one of my favorite sequences. I love the way the tune soars. We'll have it in English this morning. Our hymnal might not have all the stanzas; not sure. It's still pretty long.
I sang the entire thing Thursday evening (from the English Gradual). It's about 6 minutes or so, and the range is fairly wide for a hymn--a twelfth, the same as the Star-Spangled Banner. Next year I'll pay for a cantor so there's at least one other person singing...
[Razz]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Did anyone take part in the worldwide exposition with the Holy Father? Wonderful idea [Smile]

Nice report on the Rome Blessed Sacrament procession here

I didn't realise the Blessed Sacrament was transported in monstrance in a vehicle!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Did anyone take part in the worldwide exposition with the Holy Father? Wonderful idea [Smile]

Yes, I did. It was lovely.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. On my own, but only in the most trivial of senses.

[ 03. June 2013, 17:23: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016