homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Leviathan Spirit?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Leviathan Spirit?
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ran across a link to this 10 Minute Prayer School video about the "Leviathan Spirit". Uh.. what? A quick google turns up a lot of hits for how to be delivered from the Leviathan Spirit (and the Jezebel Spirit, the Python Spirit and so on). What in the heck is this stuff? Is this a return to the obsession with demonology that was rife in the Middle Ages?

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this isn't precisely the point of your opening post, but you can see here for the python spirit and here for some associated frothing.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
What in the heck is this stuff? Is this a return to the obsession with demonology that was rife in the Middle Ages?

It's a mixture of dominion theology, mixed in with the idea that one has to get the spirit to name itself in order to cast it out. You'll probably find that the speaker claims to have had a vision/revelation in which the 'Leviathan' spirit was revealed to them

Oh .. and mixed with the fact that Cindy Jacobs is a nutball - this is the sort of thing threads are made of.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about a Monty Python spirit? Does it make you do silly walks?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gave up after 1'30. This is another of those "people who disagree with me must have a Leviathan spirit" things, isn't it?

[ 07. June 2013, 13:46: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh God not this "Pigs in the Parlour" shit again.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This gave me a laugh in the middle of a stressful day. Thank you.

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny, I've seen the Job reference to Leviathan used as proof that dinosaurs are in the Bible. Now I learn it's in fact some kind of spirit. Can a house be divided unto itself and all that? If this goes on then I won't be able to believe anything these people tell me.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, let's exorcize the dinosaurs! [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes it's the same old garbage recycled by the same old fruitcakes.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She also seems to believe in ancestral curses or sin, as she says Native Americans must atone for their ancestors' worship of the Leviathan Spirit. Wow. Better and better.

--------------------
Siegfried

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not going to sit through a 10 minute video, but I saw Godzilla vs The Thing when I was a kid. Maybe Vince McMahon can put together a Godzilla and Leviathan vs The Thing and Kraken tag team match.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

So, is this strictly a fringe belief on the far edges of the charismatic/evangelical movement in the US? Or is it more widespread?

--------------------
Siegfried

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She also seems to believe in ancestral curses or sin, as she says Native Americans must atone for their ancestors' worship of the Leviathan Spirit. Wow. Better and better.

Oh some people I knew somewhere, I can't remember where, got into this stuff. May have been a CU somewhere. I bought into the whole charismatic thing back in those days but this stuff still smelt like bollocks to me even then.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leviathan was written by Thomas Hobbes in 1651, about political theory.
quote:
Any hope of subduing him is false; firebrands stream from his mouth; smoke pours from his nostrils; when he rises up, the mighty are terrified; they retreat before his thrashing.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I thought Job was merely commenting on the great giants of creation people cannot tame but God can...

... that will be the decieving power of the leviathan spirit tricking me not to see its power. [Disappointed]

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hate it when people start blaming demons and spirits for their emotions and not having the guts to own their own stuff. This sounds like that.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

How many people take this kind of guff seriously?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by siegfried:
quote:

What in the heck is this stuff?

Bucket a shite. Never trust a crazy woman in a wig.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the camera angle changed to the three-quarter view of the speaker, I took the opportunity to identify some of the books on the shelves behind her. (Always interesting to inspect someones bookshelves...)

So there were two of her own books:
The Voice of God,
The Supernatural Life,
and:
Territorial Spirits / Peter Wagner
Transformation / Ed Silvoso
Prophetic Fishing / Jean Kristle Blasi
Life interrupted / [Author not identified]
and last but by no means least:
Blood in the sand / Benny Hinn.

Need I say more?

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Yeah, let's exorcize the dinosaurs! [Smile]

Is this a typo? exorcize => exercize? I will take mine out for a walk right away. If I don't he gets rather irritable and eats neighbours. The only problem with it is the rather large dino poo bags we have to carry back for disposal from the park.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
QuietMBR
Shipmate
# 8845

- Posted      Profile for QuietMBR   Email QuietMBR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sigh. I have friends that believe in this craziness (well, I still consider them friends and miss them terribly, even though I am sure they see me as a flaming heretic).

Like was said upthread, same batshit crazy, different day.

Posts: 298 | From: Middle Atlantic, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found the presentation very racist as if you were first nations, Mexican, black you have thisin your blood line. HUH ?? This is trying to blame sonething thats unseen for the way we act. Seem to have heard this stuff before and it made no sense then either. If I listened to too much of this I'd believe in nothing, it would affect me so.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I will take mine out for a walk right away. If I don't he gets rather irritable and eats neighbours. The only problem with it is the rather large dino poo bags we have to carry back for disposal from the park.

I'm sure you could sell it for use on people's gardens. Zoo Poo is sought after by gardeners here.

Oh and you can send me 10% of your profits for such a useful tip.

Huia

[ 09. June 2013, 08:34: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, is this strictly a fringe belief on the far edges of the charismatic/evangelical movement in the US? Or is it more widespread?

Kind of - it's a fringe belief that is given air time by slightly less unrespectable parts of the charismatic movement - and has analogues in countries other than the US.

In the US itself I suspect she gets a lot more airtime - even if all her audience don't believe everything she comes up with.

This is the kind of craziness that is often alluded to in *those* threads about charismatic gifts etc.

[ 09. June 2013, 08:42: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She appears to be in bondage to the Spirit Of Bad Couture And Accessories.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
no prophet: Is this a typo? exorcize => exercize? I will take mine out for a walk right away. If I don't he gets rather irritable and eats neighbours. The only problem with it is the rather large dino poo bags we have to carry back for disposal from the park.
My problem is that when I get back to the house with the dino and try to leave it in the garden, he always gets in through the window again and puts me outside, so I end up banging the door and shouting "Wilmaaaa!"

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite spirit, courtesy of the demonology classic "Pigs in the Parlor" (I used to work in a pan-Christian bookstore with a few more excitable customers who special-ordered this), is the Demon of Female Insubordination. [Killing me]

My Episcopal coworker and I used to read this book aloud to one another for fun during boring evenings on the job.

[ 10. June 2013, 18:04: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
She appears to be in bondage to the Spirit Of Bad Couture And Accessories.

[Killing me] Hallelujah brother! Somebody pleeeaaasssse deliver her.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought of Hobbes' Leviathan, then wondered if it could be an adjective derived from Levi(te). Can any of you knowledgeable folks tell me?
Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
I found the presentation very racist as if you were first nations, Mexican, black you have thisin your blood line. HUH ?? This is trying to blame sonething thats unseen for the way we act. Seem to have heard this stuff before and it made no sense then either. If I listened to too much of this I'd believe in nothing, it would affect me so.

Yes, I do enjoy being told I have the Mark of Cain because I'm Hispanic and I need to atone for my ancestors mixing their pure European blood with base blood.

Usually at that point I tune my great-aunt out.

From a surface level psychological point of view it seems to a very comforting thing to be able to blame your bad behavior on demons and having the ability to speak the proper word (in this case, the name of Jesus) to control those 'outside forces'.

From a theological point of view this is best spread at 2" thick around the roots of your rose bushes. Because it's grade A prime, organic cow manure.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
I thought of Hobbes' Leviathan, then wondered if it could be an adjective derived from Levi(te). Can any of you knowledgeable folks tell me?

'Leviathan' (the mythical sea-serpent in the Book of Job) and 'Levi' (the name of one of the sons of Israel) have different Hebrew roots. Don't be fooled by their English transliterations.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

I remember some fringe charismatic book now that my dad had--How to Live Like a King's Kid or some such. Among the many things related by the author, in addition to the old chestnut about NASA finding Joshua's missing day, was one about a demon possession. I vaguely recall a Behemoth spirit was involved. No Leviathan, though.

--------------------
Siegfried

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:

Yes, I do enjoy being told I have the Mark of Cain because I'm Hispanic and I need to atone for my ancestors mixing their pure European blood with base blood.

From a surface level psychological point of view it seems to a very comforting thing to be able to blame your bad behavior on demons and having the ability to speak the proper word (in this case, the name of Jesus) to control those 'outside forces'.

From a theological point of view this is best spread at 2" thick around the roots of your rose bushes. Because it's grade A prime, organic cow manure.

Hang on, you need to let it mature away from your plants first to avoid damage!
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:

Hang on, you need to let it mature away from your plants first to avoid damage!
Trust me, this is some old, tired, bullshit.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

It is the stuff that makes the grass grow in Texas alright !!!!!!!!!!!! [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul, you are clearly a devout man with a touching and direct faith - but it is really not necessary to end every single post with some combination of [Angel] [Votive] [Smile]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

Doublethink
If I offend thee my apolgy. At least your comment shows you are reading the posts [Big Grin]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016