homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Suggested concert titles

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Suggested concert titles
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A while ago a newspaper asked for suggestions for concert titles similar to 'Mostly Mozart' that would feature other classical composers.

My favorite entry was 'Often Offenbach'.

What suggestions do other shippies have?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A concert held at the local mall: Shopping with Chopin.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two day concert of works by a certain composer... Bach to Bach

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Concert at the Cafe. Coffee, Tea and Tchaikovsky

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A brief lunchtime recital (piano and Lieder):

Shortly Schubert.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liszt List
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Appropriately Buddhist-y...

Empty Glass

[ 17. June 2013, 15:18: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Funky Gibbons

Sublime Tudor music with terrible fashion

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cocktail Seixas?

Or perhaps an Indian string quartet: Haydn Sikhs.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a festival covering the whole family:

Bach to Bach

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a popular evening of Italian opera (sung in English):

The Joe Green Hour: Songs of Love and Passion.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very good!
I gather they had problems with a trilogy of concerts by a celebrated American minimalist- the First and Second Reich Concerts were OK, but then they decided that that was probably enough....

So they put on a concert by another C20 US composer instead, on a Friday night:

Barber Offers Something for the Weekend

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get a handle on Handel.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ębleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm Backing Britten

(which I am almost old enough to remember...)

[codefix that...didn't want to be fixed. now fixed]

[ 18. June 2013, 15:23: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I do remember it ... and in this part of the world we're getting Britten almost rammed down our throats just now.

What about "In London Town"?

"Cockaigne" overture by Elgar, "Knightsbridge" by Eric Coates and the "Hammersmith Suite" by Holst. Then, after the interval, Vaughan Williams' "London Symphony".

I'm sure we could fit in the Strand somewhere too!

Bet it's been done - at the Proms, for instance. But perhaps we're getting a bit too serious and detailed!

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you're groping for Percy Grainger's Handel in the Strand to round off your programme
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

That's the one!
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about "Handel with Care"?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

GROAN!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hadyn pianist, if we are going to continue with the puns.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Concert at the Cafe. Coffee, Tea and Tchaikovsky

[Overused]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

A Little Swimming Lesson - Strauss's "Blue Danube", Debussy's "La Mer", Smetana's "Vltava", extracts from Bizet's "Pearl Fishers" - not to mention "By the Sleepy Lagoon" (?Coates) as an encore.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

"Get Orff My Land!"

Posh local landowner prevents teenagers from congregating in the grounds of his home with Carmina Burana.

Bonus points for anyone who can do something with Rimsky-Korsakov.

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Bonus points for anyone who can do something with Rimsky-Korsakov.

Well, it's not much, but for starters,

A Course of Rimsky-Korsakov

Maybe a dinner concert?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Cockney drinkers: An Evening of Brahms and Liszt [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

If you happen to be putting on a concert in Diss: An Evening of Bliss - with apologies to Sir John Betjeman .
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend went to see a jazz band a while back, who played a game rather similar to this with the audience over the interval. Extra constraints were to stay in the jazz genre, and maximise local connections (to Manchester).

We continued long after the event - amongst the best were 'an evening with Stan Denton, Art Blakely and Swinton Marsallis'. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

My favorite entry was 'Often Offenbach'.

"Often Bach" would be quite amusing.
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Buxtehude stops here? or better

The Bach stops here

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Welcome to Bradford - a multimedia event with music by Delius, readings from J.B.Priestley, and projections of Hockney pictures.
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The choral society I sing in (well, 'sing' is a generous description, but they haven't thrown me out yet) has in recent years actually done a 'Mainly Mozart', followed in quick succession by a 'Fundamentally French' (Faure, Poulenc) and a 'Basically Brahms' ('German Requiem' and some anthems). Oh, and a 'Principally Purcell' (Dido and Aeneas). We await next year with interest ...

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

GROAN!!!! [Big Grin]
Sorry, double post - one of the churches in our circuit has a sign on the organ that says 'I'm a musician - I can Handel it!'

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Stumbling Pilgrim:
The choral society I sing in (well, 'sing' is a generous description, but they haven't thrown me out yet) has in recent years actually done a 'Mainly Mozart', followed in quick succession by a 'Fundamentally French' (Faure, Poulenc) and a 'Basically Brahms' ('German Requiem' and some anthems). Oh, and a 'Principally Purcell' (Dido and Aeneas). We await next year with interest ...

Totally Tallis?
Entirely Elgar?
Victims of Wagner?

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My granddaughter is being taken to the Tiddly Proms, which I think is a wonderful name for introducing young children to classical music!

In Cheltenham a similar idea is being launched, under the title of Lilliput Concerts.

Perhaps they will have some Mini Mozart, Hand-high Handel, Teeny Tippett, Baby Beethoven, etc?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful Walton, but Vitriolic Wagner.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ębleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Xenophobic Xenakis, perhaps (One hopes not!)

Or Suomilly Sibelius (not too sure about that one).

Beardybard
Apprentice
# 17737

- Posted      Profile for Beardybard   Email Beardybard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Bag of Pipes

Scottish orchestra at its finest

Posts: 6 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Welcome to Bradford - a multimedia event with music by Delius, readings from J.B.Priestley, and projections of Hockney pictures.

To complete the experience, I hope there's a jolly good curry in the interval ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

... served on a bed of Yorkshire pudding!

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016