homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Managing a Personal Prayer List

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Managing a Personal Prayer List
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, when you say, "I'll pray for you", how do you keep your list? And if you do keep a list, how often do you review it? How often do you remove people? What happens when it gets to be super long?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assign people beads on my rosary. No kidding. I even have some blank wooden beads and a leather cord with which I hope to create a personal string of prayer beads featuring my "regulars."

For Shipmates, though, Telepath has her handy -dandy lists that a lot of us rely on. A huge help.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking of my Twitter friend's mother-in-law who broke her hip, my parishoner's auntie, et cetra-- the kind that you want to remember to pray for but not neccesarily for the rest of your life (that's a lot of beads to carry around).

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the pre-made rosary would be the one I'd use for that-- situation over, assign a new person to the bead(I just keep track of which bead is what in my head.)That's why I specifically wrote "the regulars" for the wood one.

The physical, concrete act of holding a bead works as a memory prompt for me.

[ 23. May 2013, 21:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
So, when you say, "I'll pray for you", how do you keep your list? And if you do keep a list, how often do you review it? How often do you remove people? What happens when it gets to be super long?

I have an A5 notepad by my bed, in which I'll write situations and people I want to pray about regularly. If it's someone close to me, or the situation is time-limited (like a job interview or something) then I'll write it in the notepad and aim to check back with the person to see how things are going.

For things like 'Twitter friend's mother-in-law who broke her hip', I might simply spend a few moments praying when I hear about the situation. I find it tough to pray for people and about situations I don't really know, so I focus on people and issues that mean more to me personally.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit of a cheat I know but I like to pray sometime each week 'for all who have asked for prayer'

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I admire a friend in an online Anglican forum who keeps a prayer journal and prays daily for those listed therein. Once an entry is a month old, he posts, "[Name], been praying for a month. How are you doing?" to encourage an update. If they've recovered or the need for prayer isn't there anymore, he deletes the entry. If not, it renews for another month.
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh... had a friend asking for some serious prayer on the way home from the pub earlier. Got me thinking about this very topic - so thanks for starting it Spiffy.

I guess I would keep praying until I heard that things were well, or until I thought it reasonable that they would have been resolved. And yes, this might mean taking recourse in 'all who have asked me, unworthy as I am, to pray for them', especially for people I don't see very often. A bit weaselly but better I guess than nothing.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA: as to remembering people... no particular systems. Just try to keep everyone necessary in mind!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Currently, "badly" is probably my answer. My prayer list is a mental one, so people tend to fall off the bottom of my list as new people replace them, and I forget about the old ones. So close family stay on, my neighbour who is particularly ill stays on, because I see him on a regular basis, so am reminded of his need; other people - whether it's colleagues, shipmates, victims of the recent tornado in Oklahoma etc. tend to stay for a while, then get replaced.

I would like to be more organized about this. SCK's notepad would work, except that I have a dozen similar notepads with the first couple of pages used for something that I have generated over the past few years, and find once every month or two. If I had a smartphone, I might successfully use that for this.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw something on the net a few months ago.
A really old nun had died and they had this huge pile of pocket-notebooks going back 50+ years of all her pray-ees.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I say "I'll pray for you", I usually do so within a few minutes and then as it occurs to me.

If something makes it onto a written list (daily / weekly / monthly), I'll pray for it until the prayers are no longer needed, or the situation has changed. For example, when I move churches that usually means I stop praying through the list of people at the church I've left.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fail. Though I do mumble off an immediate prayer, and then I maintain a spontaneous and chaotic serendipity for months. But that's the story of my life.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop Jack Nicholls (formerly of Sheffield) relieved me of a great deal of guilt when he confessed to the same problem of forgetting to pray for people who had asked. His wise spiritual director had said, 'if you have a pastoral concern for them - which you do even if all you know about them is a name - then they are part of your life. Whenever you pray you bring your whole life before God, and that of course includes all these people who are part of it.'

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An acquaintance of mine, when asked to pray for somebody, writes their name on a piece of paper and places it at the foot of a cross on his sideboard.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
Saw something on the net a few months ago.
A really old nun had died and they had this huge pile of pocket-notebooks going back 50+ years of all her pray-ees.

Wish the good Sister had left instructions on how she did it-- maybe she'll whisper them to the Holy Spirit to pass along.

quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
An acquaintance of mine, when asked to pray for somebody, writes their name on a piece of paper and places it at the foot of a cross on his sideboard.

How often does he sort the pile, do you know?

I'm going to have a kind of ora et labora long weekend (a staycation retreat, if you will, combined with installing many, many garden beds) so I'm going to try a couple things out and report back.

[ 24. May 2013, 16:01: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a basket that I keep prayer stones in and I hold each stone as I pray for the person. I also have a special stone which I hold when I add prayers for others on a temporary basis. I try and use my basket each day and for the most part do. I also use two on line prayers lists, one on the Ship and one on our church web site. Those I use once a week. Finally if someone needs prayer I do it right then and there in person on via phone, rather then saying, "I will pray for you." I will also often continue to pray for them as well.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I remember (which is all too seldom), I respond to a prayer request with "For N., Lord, have mercy." Sort of an ongoing litany.

Might be a good practice for me to pray the parish weekly prayer list that way, which might help me remember to do that when other prayer needs or requests come along later in the day.

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wish the good Sister had left instructions on how she did it-- maybe she'll whisper them to the Holy Spirit to pass along.

At the time I imagined she walked about with the notebook and pen or pencil - the pic showed she used both - so maybe she just grabbed what was nearest.
Easier to do in public as it were if you're a nun than a layperson...I'd feel awfully self-conscious.

[fixed code]

[ 27. May 2013, 16:27: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will come as a surprise to almost no-one to learn that there is an app for that [Biased]

Smartphone types can download Prayer Journal - I find it useful.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
quote:

At the time I imagined she walked about with the notebook and pen or pencil - the pic showed she used both - so maybe she just grabbed what was nearest.
Easier to do in public as it were if you're a nun than a layperson...I'd feel awfully self-conscious.

[fixed code]

I was more interested in the mechanics, did she read through every one of those journals every day? Did she add people more than once (intentionally, I'm sure any human will forget eventually). Did she just write it down and then use a catch-all prayer?

quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
It will come as a surprise to almost no-one to learn that there is an app for that [Biased]

Smartphone types can download Prayer Journal - I find it useful.

59 results named "Prayer Journal" or "My Prayer Journal" in the Google Play store.

[ 28. May 2013, 16:41: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting I found 2! I am trying the one from FirstStepMedia, so far so good. Its allowed me to set up family requests for my immediate family. So I pray for them over a week.

If this works I will set it for more things.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep a list in MSWord. If it's something temporary, prayers continue until the situation is over. If it's long-term, they stay on indefinitely.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

I have a 33-knot wool bracelet type chotki with one red bead. (It was the cheapest on the site that someone on The Ship linked to and the guy had the cheek to say it was merino! Yeah, Bulgaria is chock-full of merino sheep).

I just thought to use that red bead to say "LJC, SofG, have mercy on N. N being someone in particular desperate need at the moment.
After I have done my 20 min/200-odd I am going bead by bead with "the usual suspects" and then various others till I run out or start praying rubbish.

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Post it notes around the edges of my computer screen, that being the place I sit still longest. My workmates think its really weird, but it works for me.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard:
When I say "I'll pray for you", I usually do so within a few minutes and then as it occurs to me.

Yes, me, too. Most often, I'll hear about a situation, and just wordlessly toss it toward God.

During a long stretch when I was sorting out a lot of baggage from my past, I kept a little notebook with a list of people who hurt me, those I hurt, and others who were just in my life at various times. I took it to church on Good Friday, and worked through it. It was enough to help me heal; but not so much that I'd get re-entangled, because I didn't spend a great deal of time on it. FWIW.

Oh, and candles are good, too. I've tried a rosary and Buddhist prayer beads (108!); but the truth is that, for me, working the beads interferes with prayer/meditation. I can do repetitive prayers better on my own. Beads work better for just holding for comfort and encouragement, or even just having them around.

I also like doing prayers for everything and everyone, and the well-being thereof. Thich Nhat Hanh's mindfulness techniques are very useful. See The Miracle of Mindfulness and Peace Is Every Step. Helps you include blessing, centering, and prayer throughout your day, in small ways--even when just walking.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016