homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How about a nice cup of shut the fuck up?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How about a nice cup of shut the fuck up?
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is getting embarrassing. Regardless of the mans lack of professionalism and his seeming attention seeking disorder, I find it hugely distasteful that on this of all days he would claim the CofE to be a persecuted church when there are people in the world who today, are dying for their faith. It's disgusting, dishonorable and pathetic.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rants live in hell.

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
This is getting embarrassing. Regardless of the mans lack of professionalism and his seeming attention seeking disorder, I find it hugely distasteful that on this of all days he would claim the CofE to be a persecuted church when there are people in the world who today, are dying for their faith. It's disgusting, dishonorable and pathetic.

Damn right. This year at Easter, non-Christians are thinking, "Oh yeah. Christians. They're the whiny ones, aren't they?"

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if the press are prompting this guy to open his gob, or whether it is he himself who is determined to come across as a wanker.

The one and only news bulletin I listen to in a day had lord C with his futile utterances first and North Korea preparing for war last .

Who was it said 'Ignorance is bliss' ? They should be knighted.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
maryjones
Shipmate
# 13523

- Posted      Profile for maryjones   Email maryjones   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fully agree about Lord Carey's unwillingness to realise that he is no longer ABC. I said so on the +++ Justin thread. In fairness, however, he does say
quote:
Their fears may be exaggerated because few in the UK are actually persecuted

Posts: 75 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Not sure if the press are prompting this guy to open his gob, or whether it is he himself who is determined to come across as a wanker.

He wrote the column. He could have said no thanks.

And the Daily Mail, too! Is he proud to share an employer with the likes of the vile Richard Littlejohn, I wonder?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gather Carey has got a new job. Myabe it will keep him busy?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess he thinks the timings perfect, so the non-church-going secular masses can chew over the Church's problems while quaffing easter eggs and not really giving a fuck about any of it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The twittersphere is full of "Member of the House of Lords whines that he's a persecuted minority on the front page of a national newspaper". I would mention the #notraceofirony hashtag, as it's pertinent, but I gather some of the visitors here are not from the lower 48 and elsewhere, so I'll restrain myself.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daw! You're so cute when you're being passive-agressive!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rowan Williams now devotes his spare time working at a food bank in Cambridge.

Would that Carey would follow his example.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
but I gather some of the visitors here are not from the lower 48 and elsewhere

Golly. Hands up who isn't from the lower 48, and ALSO isn't from elsewhere? I'd quite like to meet you. As would Schroedinger, who found your cat a while ago and would like to return it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Would that Carey would follow his example.

Alas, he'd probably take it upon himself to lecture the recipients on hard work and personal responsibility. Can't we get him to establish permanent occupation of Rockall, or something useful like that? Maybe St. Helena needs a new assistant priest?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I hear they've got a pretty lousy kitchen at Magdalene but calling it a food bank is still pretty insulting.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bit where he talks about turning the chapel into some kind of generic multi-faith area is rather worrying, if it is true. But I appreciate that it might not be the most important thing to talk about at Easter.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
The bit where he talks about turning the chapel into some kind of generic multi-faith area is rather worrying, if it is true. But I appreciate that it might not be the most important thing to talk about at Easter.

The issue with the chapel is a direct result of the church's attitude towards gay people. You make the bed, you lie in it. And Carey was directly responsible for making this particular bed when he was Archbishop.
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The issue with the chapel is a direct result of the church's attitude towards gay people. You make the bed, you lie in it. And Carey was directly responsible for making this particular bed when he was Archbishop.

If that's true (which I don't) then perhaps we should close down all churches?
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
The bit where he talks about turning the chapel into some kind of generic multi-faith area is rather worrying, if it is true.

It's Parliament. Parliament represents all the people of the land. Not just the Christian ones.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It's Parliament. Parliament represents all the people of the land. Not just the Christian ones.

I don't think anyone would argue with that. But if it's felt that the way to address having a non-Christian minority in Britain these days is to create a 'multi-faith area' in Parliament, it doesn't necessarily follow that Parliament's ancient chapel should go to make way for it. I'm sure space could be found somewhere on the Parliamentary estate.
orfeo

# 13878

Whereas I'm less sure there'd be space elsewhere. I mean, I haven't stomped around the place with my tape measure or anything, but parliamentary buildings aren't known for their roominess as the demands on the institution continue to grow over the years.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
but I gather some of the visitors here are not from the lower 48 and elsewhere

Golly. Hands up who isn't from the lower 48, and ALSO isn't from elsewhere? I'd quite like to meet you. As would Schroedinger, who found your cat a while ago and would like to return it.
The lower 48? Translation please.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

No, but they do adapt. The parliamentary shooting range was turned into a creche, I think (which is underused, apparently, so perhaps that could be converted to something else).

But the chapel is used, and has a long history within the intricate past of the Palace of Westminster as a chapel.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert: "Lower 48" refers to the 48 contiguous United States, i.e. leaving out Alaska and Hawaii.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Many thanks, mousethief. I hadn't come across the expression before.

--------------------

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like Mr. Carey has been spending time with the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church in the U.S. In recent years they have been making a great deal out of the theme -- "We are the REAL victims of persecution here." An odd but serious redefinition "Freedom of Religion" is going on in U.S. political discourse and, it seems, in U.K. politics as well.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
quote:

I hear they've got a pretty lousy kitchen at Magdalene but calling it a food bank is still pretty insulting.
[Snigger]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Snigger]
I find this more sad than funny. Needy get crap food, yeah, hilarious.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fer fuck's sake, quit your whining & go shopping for a sense of humor at the Humor Bank. A significant fraction of my weekly meals are made with food from the local food bank. It's all pretty decent.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merchant Trader
Shipmate
# 9007

- Posted      Profile for Merchant Trader     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today was Easter Sunday and we have joyful news to share of Jesus' resurrection and its meaning for our time.

This guy has stolen the limelight and helped ensure that any more relevant message was put in the shade.

The best thing that he can do for the church is to keep dignified silence and limit utterances to simple affirmations of support for his successors.

--------------------
... formerly of Muscovy, Lombardy & the Low Countries; travelling through diverse trading stations in the New and Olde Worlds

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merchant Trader:
Today was Easter Sunday and we have joyful news to share of Jesus' resurrection and its meaning for our time.

This guy has stolen the limelight and helped ensure that any more relevant message was put in the shade.

The best thing that he can do for the church is to keep dignified silence and limit utterances to simple affirmations of support for his successors.

Not. Good. Copy.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, quite. This isn't to say that there isn't a shred of underlying truth to what Lord Carey said, but the man has all the situational awareness and strategic acumen of a hedgehog trying to walk through a balloon store.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Well, quite. This isn't to say that there isn't a shred of underlying truth to what Lord Carey said, but the man has all the situational awareness and strategic acumen of a hedgehog trying to walk through a balloon store.
He's afraid of pricks and loud bangs?

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

That would certainly explain the homophobia.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

[Overused]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time himself opens his mouth, I'm reminded of my grandfather (of blessed memory), and how we all pretended to listen to him and nodded at the blank spots-- except for one relative who took every word as if it was writ from on high, even the contradictory bits.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I had some awful cutlets there (in 1978).
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016