homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » God's wrath and indignation against us (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: God's wrath and indignation against us
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone tell me why we have removed any reference to God's holy wrath against sinners from modern liturgy, both a scriptural and patristic belief? Could it be yet another attempt to exalt man before God?

The Confession and Absolution is so watered down in Common Worship that it almost feels like we ignorer our sin and its place next to the Atonement altogenher.

Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
Can anyone tell me why we have removed any reference to God's holy wrath against sinners from modern liturgy, both a scriptural and patristic belief?

Because being cast out of the Garden of Eden, being cursed with painful things, then obliterated in a flood, then scattered to the ends of the earth with different language was considered punishment enough to assuage God's holy wrath against us sinners.

What more can the bastard want?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess this straddles the border between Purgatory and Ecclesiantics, since the OP raises much wider questions than liturgical practice. But I'm going to check that out with Eccles Hosts. Meanwhile, carry on.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Evangelicals consider that the wrath of God has been satisfied.
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Evangelicals" doesn't quite fit that usage. Some Evangelicals yes, not all.

Calvinists perhaps?

I actually had to read The Institutes on his theory of atonement cos I was a naughty girl.

*shudder*

[ 12. June 2013, 08:48: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
.......Hope I didn't incur your wrath, Evensong!
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

You?

Not possible. You are The Chosen One™

[Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Because being cast out of the Garden of Eden, being cursed with painful things, then obliterated in a flood, then scattered to the ends of the earth with different language

Or 'culture' as we godless call it. Re the rest of your list - natural disasters are the tariff for a viable planet; pain is a necessary survival mechanism, and an idea of a not-currently-present perfection good for the poetry industry.

It's all right, people: the weather is not angry at you. Death and disease has nothing personal. Turn your attention to what we are responsible for, and set about fixing that.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Turn your attention to what we are responsible for, and set about fixing that.

That's pretty good. The Jesus of the gospels seemed to be much much more hacked off by indifference, pontificating and pettifoggery over religious rules than anything else. That stuff made him pretty wrathful.

All this food-sharing, healing, and mixing with disreputable outsiders seemed to be much more up his street than precise religious observance. He seems to have had a much greater concern for what it meant really to love unselfishly.

Personally, I reckon that learning to love unselfishly and spreading that about helps a lot in the fixing of all manner of human ills. I remember that when I pray "Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven".

Some folks reckon that precise liturgical observance plays a vital part in that. I don't really "get" that, never have. That's probably why I'm more comfortable lower down the candle.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can anyone tell me why we have removed any reference to God's holy wrath against sinners from modern liturgy, both a scriptural and patristic belief?

When you say "sinners", are you talking about other people, yourself, or both?

I guess there might be different reasons for your frustration. Is your problem theological, personal or judgemental?

If it's judgemental - that you feel you need reminding every week that people are bad, then honestly, get over it. It's God's prerogative to judge.

If it's theological, then I get the frustration, but it's not the end of the world. Liturgy reflects theology, but it can never encompass all of it.

If, however, it's personal, I can imagine you might feel you're missing the words that express your own process of repentance during the liturgy. That seems to me more of a problem, but I think there's still enough in there dealing with the severity of sin and our response to it.

So yeah, you feel that the liturgy is lacking something, but why do you think that's a problem?

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Because being cast out of the Garden of Eden, being cursed with painful things, then obliterated in a flood, then scattered to the ends of the earth with different language was considered punishment enough to assuage God's holy wrath against us sinners.
True enough. That is if we leave out the captivity in Egypt, the captivity in Babylon, the first and second razing of the temple, life under the Romans and that thug, Herod. That's just for starters. What am I leaving out?
quote:
That we turn and be saved?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm - have to add that to my Images of God list - God the Abusive Parent.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Confession and Absolution is so watered down in Common Worship that it almost feels like we ignorer our sin and its place next to the Atonement altogenher.

Interesting question.

Could you give an example of how Common Worship has watered down the prayers you mention; eg, compared to what? The BCP with it's 16thc 'miserable offenders' theology? Communion services or Morning/Evening Prayer - which have different options for Confession/Absolution? (I presume you're referencing CofE liturgy?)

And why do you say 'watered' down? Is that how it feels like to you? How do you know how others praying these prayers share your feelings? Or are you worried that they don't know how much of a 'miserable offender' they are, and by golly someone should jolly well tell them?

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because there's not much about it in the Gospel. True, some of the Fathers got a bit hot under the toga - too much desert sun, probably - but as a dominating theme in Christianity, you really have to go to hard-line Calvinism or some of the more lurid manifestations of counter-reformation Catholicism.

In the Gospel, I read grace, love, salvation, generosity, and an overturning of worldly power, pride and might in favour of the poor, the oppressed, and those who mourn - and all of it undeserved.

Or have I been mistranslating John's Gospel? Did he actually say, "God was so pissed off with the world that he gave his only Son"? Cos as the youth are wont to say, I didn't get that memo.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some in the Reformed tradition have a tendency to use the word 'wrath' as though it was obvious what it meant, when it isn't.

I mean, the literal meaning of wrath is anger. But the Thirty-Nine Articles tell me God is without passions, i.e. emotions. Therefore God's wrath must be a metaphor for something else. But what?

I think within Calvinism 'wrath' is tied up with a particular view about the way God interacts with the world. It should not necessarily be assumed that all Christians share that view.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Evensong: What more can the bastard want?
Someone being sacrificed on the Cross.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
quote:

True enough. That is if we leave out the captivity in Egypt, the captivity in Babylon, the first and second razing of the temple, life under the Romans and that thug, Herod. That's just for starters. What am I leaving out?
quote:
That we turn and be saved?

Thousands of years of punishment does not appear to be working.

Time for something else hey?

Unless of course, God is stupid.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just about to post a link, which I think anyone interested in this subject would profitably read. But before I do, please be aware that the light comes in the exchanges that follow, and it's a long read. Give yourself at least half an hour and probably twice that to absorb it.

Here it is. (PS - it starts by talking about Anglicanism, but please don't be put off by that.)

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
No she didn't.

We did that.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... pain is a necessary survival mechanism, and an idea of a not-currently-present perfection good for the poetry industry.

No wonder I hate poetry.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Karl, that is a standard trope in my preaching: God is not an abusive father with anger management issues. Rather Christ is the divine physician. Sometimes the cauterization of the wound can be painful.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In answer to your question Evensong, in answer to Indifferently, that we stop projecting our ids on Him.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:

Karl, that is a standard trope in my preaching: God is not an abusive father with anger management issues. Rather Christ is the divine physician. Sometimes the cauterization of the wound can be painful.
Which is fine, but you earlier gave me the image of a parent chasing a child around with a big stick, beating them and insisting that the child is making them do it.

But I don't see how you can describe the events under discussion as healing of any kind.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How effectively does God's wrath and anger toward sinners turn those self-same sinners toward God?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
How effectively does God's wrath and anger toward sinners turn those self-same sinners toward God?

The same way that a child beaten enough by an abusive parent eventually becomes acquiescent.

There's more than a hint of Stockholm Syndrome in some expressions of Christianity.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The same way that a child beaten enough by an abusive parent eventually becomes acquiescent.

There's more than a hint of Stockholm Syndrome in some expressions of Christianity.

Miaow! That's pretty cutting, but - hmm - maybe you have a point...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Evensong:
quote:
quote:
No she didn't.

We did that.

(Psst, I agree with you. In my first post, I was going along with your sarcasm.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:

Yes.

Or alternatively one (quite rightly) finally puts up a finger, says "FUCK YOU GOD" and becomes an atheist.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can anyone tell me why we have removed any reference to God's holy wrath against sinners from modern liturgy, both a scriptural and patristic belief? Could it be yet another attempt to exalt man before God?

On the other hand, traditional liturgy says little on corporate sin against the environment or economic sin, for example. Isn't this a way in which traditional liturgy is lacking?

Common Worship has the congregation confessing that they have sinned in thought, word and deed by their own deliberate fault - that seems pretty comprehensive in terms of acknowledging people's sin. Why the need to go overboard in the light of Christ's forgiveness?

[ 12. June 2013, 15:04: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
No she didn't.

We did that.

He did. Jesus was given up to death in accordance with God's definite plan and foreknowledge. God planned the perfect sacrifice of his Son by crucifixion. It wasn't an accident.

[ 12. June 2013, 15:03: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
In answer to your question Evensong, in answer to Indifferently, that we stop projecting our ids on Him.

Or our superegos.

quote:

Sad but true. Mine own not excepted.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
daronmedway: He did. Jesus was given up to death in accordance with God's definite plan and foreknowledge. God [i]planned/[i] the perfect sacrifice of his Son by crucifixion. It wasn't an accident.
That's what you believe. I don't. And I wouldn't want to have anything to do with someone (or Someone) who'd plan on killing his own child, whatever good reasons he might have for it.

--------------------

Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the person who enquiries about what I am comparing CW to, I recommend a copy of the Book of Common Prayer which many liberals have burned and buried in embarrassment at the fact that it demonstrates our utter helplessness before the throne of Grace. The whole Communion sequenee - Invitation to Confession "Ye that do truly and earnesdly repent you of your sins" to General Confession "We acknowledge and Brazil our manifold sins and wickedness ... provoking most justly thy wrath" to Absolution "all them that with hearty repentance and true faith" to Comfortable Words "If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father". It's so beautiful in the way it demonstrates God's love for us even though we are sinners.

Compare that to the text in Common Worship, where one of the Confessions doesn't even require us to say we are sorry, or even worse the 1979 American liturgical service book, where the Absolution doesn't even require repentance.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Brazil?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
which many liberals have burned and buried in embarrassment

exaggerate absurdly much?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To the person who enquiries about what I am comparing CW to, I recommend a copy of the Book of Common Prayer which many liberals have burned and buried in embarrassment at the fact that it demonstrates our utter helplessness before the throne of Grace. The whole Communion sequenee - Invitation to Confession "Ye that do truly and earnesdly repent you of your sins" to General Confession "We acknowledge and Brazil our manifold sins and wickedness ... provoking most justly thy wrath" to Absolution "all them that with hearty repentance and true faith" to Comfortable Words "If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father". It's so beautiful in the way it demonstrates God's love for us even though we are sinners.

Compare that to the text in Common Worship, where one of the Confessions doesn't even require us to say we are sorry, or even worse the 1979 American liturgical service book, where the Absolution doesn't even require repentance.

Can you provide evidence of 'liberals' (define liberal) burning copies of the BCP? Liturgical innovation is not unique to liberals, as conservative evangelical Anglicans show.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Shipmate
# 76

Since Indifferently likes to bewail his sins and wickedness, a violation of the 9th commandment is probably helpful to him.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
daronmedway: He did. Jesus was given up to death in accordance with God's definite plan and foreknowledge. God planned the perfect sacrifice of his Son by crucifixion. It wasn't an accident.
That's what you believe. I don't. And I wouldn't want to have anything to do with someone (or Someone) who'd plan on killing his own child, whatever good reasons he might have for it.
I think it's possible that the point of view you express here is rooted in a sub-Trinitarian relational anthropomorphism. Them's big words for saying that ain't how it works 'cos that ain't who God is.

[ 12. June 2013, 15:21: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
quote:
quote:
daronmedway: He did. Jesus was given up to death in accordance with God's definite plan and foreknowledge. God planned the perfect sacrifice of his Son by crucifixion. It wasn't an accident.
I think it's possible that the point of view you express here is rooted in a sub-Trinitarian relational anthropomorphism. Them's big words for saying that ain't how it works 'cos that ain't who God is.
Substitutionary atonement not being the only atonement theory is surely not a new idea?

--------------------

Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:

Can you provide evidence of 'liberals' (define liberal) burning copies of the BCP? Liturgical innovation is not unique to liberals, as conservative evangelical Anglicans show.
It was metaphorical.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
daronmedway: I think it's possible that the point of view you express here is rooted in a sub-Trinitarian relational anthropomorphism.
Another one to add to my collection of heresies!

Sub-Trinitarian relational anthropomorphism. Now, there is one that has the right ring of pompousity to it.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Who said anything about about only?
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:

It was metaphorical.
The particular motive you ascribe to our metaphorical burning of the book is still offensively bullshit.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
daronmedway: I think it's possible that the point of view you express here is rooted in a sub-Trinitarian relational anthropomorphism.
Another one to add to my collection of heresies!

Sub-Trinitarian relational anthropomorphism. Now, there is one that has the right ring of pompousity to it.

Might be true though. If you start with a chopped up God, substitutionary atonement will look like abuse. If you start with the Trinity it begins to look like love.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
quote:

It was metaphorical.
Was the thing about liberals hating the BCP a metaphor too? Because a lot of AffCath folks love a BCP service, myself included. Meanwhile many conservative evangelical Anglicans will never have gone to a BCP service in their life.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
daronmedway: If you start with a chopped up God, substitutionary atonement will look like abuse. If you start with the Trinity it begins to look like love.
I guess it might look a bit like love if you allow for the fact that God as a whole suffered on the Cross (Patripassionism). I'd still have a couple of uses with it though.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Issues. Not uses.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
daronmedway: If you start with a chopped up God, substitutionary atonement will look like abuse. If you start with the Trinity it begins to look like love.
I guess it might look a bit like love if you allow for the fact that God as a whole suffered on the Cross (Patripassionism). I'd still have a couple of uses with it though.
You could start off by spelling patripassianism correctly.

Then you could admit that its definition as a heresy is pretty sketchy, being grounded in a particular philosophy rather than in the bible.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Strictly, patripassionism is when the Father is seen as suffering on the Cross (in the terms of the Athanasian creed, confounding the persons) but then not to allow that God suffers when the second person of the Trinity dies on the cross is surely (in Athanasian creed terms) to divide the substance. "'Tis mystery all, th'immortal dies: who can explore his strange design?"

[ 12. June 2013, 16:04: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Dinghy Sailor: Then you could admit that its definition as a heresy is pretty sketchy, being grounded in a particular philosophy rather than in the bible.
But, but ... people told me.

I admit that 'patripassianism' probably isn't the right word for the idea of the whole God suffering on the Cross, I'm open for better suggestions.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016