homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Drowning the old Adam

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Drowning the old Adam
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I posted several weeks ago about Mrs Thurible "giving thanks for safe delivery after childbirth", as we decided the safest title for churching was.

Yesterday, the Boatgirl was baptised and it was very lovely. I had been very keen that she be baptised by full immersion, given that she's not infirm, and, after convincing Mrs Thurible (and the Vicar's wife!) that Father wouldn't drown her, she agreed.

It was very splendid and I was struck by one of the servers, a German Lutheran by birth and upbringing, saying how powerful it had been and how it was the first time that infant baptism had "worked" for him. Talking to friends and family afterwards, it was clearly the first time they'd witnessed an infant baptism by immersion. I was explaining that, really, this is the standard and sprinkling is really a concession.

How widespread is infant immersion, though? I think the Orthodox do it as a matter of course. What about Catholics - extraordinary form or otherwise? What about Protestant paedobaptists? Anglicans?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow - never seen it!

We do adults by immersion, and reaffirm baptism vows "with as much water as possible" (to quote our bishop). Agreed that sprinkling is the concession and immersion the theological norm in the C of E.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My three sons were baptised as infants by full immersion, one in a full size baptistry! I can still argue from the bible for selective covenantal paedo-baptism, but I'm no longer personally convinced by the arguments.

In recent years I've moved away theologically from paedo-baptism, a move which makes Anglican parochial baptismal ministry a tad difficult for me.

It also creates an inner tension in me because I'm still emotionally attached to the baptism of my children, despite the fact that I can find no real theological justification for it. I'm waiting for the day when one of them expresses a desire for believer's baptism to see how I will react. I hope it will be with joy.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting topic, but like Baptism, it would be better for it to be a one-off methinks!

Duplicate closed.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016