homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » SoF support for iPhone?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF support for iPhone?
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Hosts,

I realised that my almost three-year lapse in posting on the Ship was down to the fact that I do most of my 'general browsing' on an iPhone, and only use a normal browser on the laptop for specific websites.

I'm not sure if the UBB software has a specific Safari-compatible mode, though an idle browse has brought up a mention of something called tapatalk - as it seems that just about everyone and their dog has a smart-phone these days, is the Ship likely to upgrade the software anytime soon?

x

AV

[ 14. July 2013, 17:23: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not holding my breath. [Biased] I read and post on the Ship using an iPhone / iPad without any problem tho'.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading and normal posting are fine on my iPhone, most times. I have encountered weirdness, but not typically.
Including quotes from another post can be an issue, especially multi-quotes or reducing long posts in a quote.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the only problem I have with using the iPhone to post is when lots of UBB code or quote editing is needed. But that's due to the shitty keyboard/text selection ability of the phone, not the board software.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahleal V:
Dear Hosts,

I realised that my almost three-year lapse in posting on the Ship was down to the fact that I do most of my 'general browsing' on an iPhone, and only use a normal browser on the laptop for specific websites.

I'm not sure if the UBB software has a specific Safari-compatible mode, though an idle browse has brought up a mention of something called tapatalk - as it seems that just about everyone and their dog has a smart-phone these days, is the Ship likely to upgrade the software anytime soon?

x

AV

Posted from iPod touch. Not easy but possible.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're talking devices or applications when you mention iProducts? I think you're talking applications. Possibly Apple could be asked about applications for their devices that support what you want to do. Understanding that Apple packages their applications and products rather tightly that it's hard to distinguish between the two.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship works fine on my iphone. What ywould you want to see cahnged?

Its not an ideal environment for making posts but thats because the limited text editing capabilities of the iphone aren't really up to writing more than small bits of text. I have soemtimes but it gets frustrating. The screen is too small, there is no keyboard (obviously), and the cut-and-paste facilities are rather primitive. (In particular its really erally difficult to select part of a word. Very frustrating) But that's not really Safari's problem. The same software works much better in the ipad simply because the screen is larger.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find things are fine on my iPad, except I seem to end up double-posting quite a bit. I'd say that's down to my clumsy fingers and the fact that it's quite new rather than any software issue!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
What ywould you want to see cahnged?

Dunno. Maybe something to do with your chubby fingers. Or, perhaps the miniscule keyboard.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tapatalk is indeed a thing that is used to make message boards more mobile device friendly. I'm aware that at least one board I'm a member of has Tapatalk, but I've not used it myself.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just done a quick search and, as far as I can tell, Tapatalk doesn't work with the software that runs the Ship. It sounds like it's a simple implementation where it is supported.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've tried on my Android phone. The biggest problem is not having scalable pages (ones that adjust to fit the size of a smart phone screen). Therefore the text is small than the footnotes or I have to keep scrolling left and right to read a post.

I just wait until I can get to a device with a bigger screen. I'm also getting to the point when the large print section in the library is becoming of interest.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My android lets me scale - not the posting window, which is - um - challenging, but the reading window scales.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have an android? That's awesome.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Personally? The Ship's layout is fixed width, and the width is fixed at something appropriate for desktop computers. I'd like to see a mobile friendly layout (with avatars and usernames above the posts rather than to the side, and a larger font size, but without having to horizontally scroll).

For posting, I'd like to see a text area that is an appropriate size to show up on a mobile phone above the keyboard. Currently you have to scroll about across the message you are typing, because the posting box is too large.

Ideal would be an app, rather than a mobile web site. You could even do one that used screen scraping to access the posts, which would mean that no changes to the Ship's board software were needed. I doubt developing such an app would be cost effective though.

Amy

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:

Personally? The Ship's layout is fixed width, and the width is fixed at something appropriate for desktop computers. I'd like to see a mobile friendly layout (with avatars and usernames above the posts rather than to the side, and a larger font size, but without having to horizontally scroll).

For posting, I'd like to see a text area that is an appropriate size to show up on a mobile phone above the keyboard. Currently you have to scroll about across the message you are typing, because the posting box is too large.

Ideal would be an app, rather than a mobile web site. You could even do one that used screen scraping to access the posts, which would mean that no changes to the Ship's board software were needed. I doubt developing such an app would be cost effective though.

Amy

Are you volunteering?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read the ship from my phone but never posted. I am now. Doesn't seem to hard.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Strata stateth:
UBB.classic (formerly Ultimate Bulletin Board) - Social Strata's original internet forum system written in Perl and using a flat file system. End-of-lifed on June 15, 2006.

Possibly the owner of UBB.classic could be asked if someone could develop a small device (like iphone) version, but get their permission I think. -- I did a bit of search, and I can't figure out who owns the rights to UBB.classic. It was sold, reveloped as UBB-threads, sold again, and I couldn't track it further. It makes me wonder that if delay in making a shift to a newer forum software might mean that the old content could never be upgraded(?!)

Better might be that the ship decided to embark on a project to modernise the forum to something more recent that handles mobile devices by default.

This upgrade question was asked at least twice in my recall, with it seeming to me that there was either no wish to modernise, or fear that some valued things like member numbers might be lost. An upgrade might take at least 2 forms. One would be to use a commercial product which might be able to simply move the old content to new. Another might be to use a noncommercial (open source, and free) which might need a budget if the transfer of content is not so automatic and requires a worker. Possibly a third will combine the costs of both due to age of the UBB.classic.

Has anyone researched it? Does anyone know the costs of these or other alternatives? Thoughts of getting a donation project going to modernise the forum software package so it would fully support mobile devices? (which outstrip computers of all kinds in sales now)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Software upgrades are, indeed, something that comes up on a regular basis.

Yes, there are oodles of options for software to run the boards. Each has it's own particular sets of strengths and weaknesses. The sticking point has often been not that it would be great if the whole data base (threads, profiles etc) could be ported straight in - because if we need to start from scratch (as we did moving from Neoworks to UBB) we can. The sticking point is that we would like, if at all possible, to integrate the entire Ship into a single system. To my knowledge, at present there is nothing available that will even replicate the limited integration of the boards with the Cafe that we currently have, let alone take the extra steps we'd like to make to seamlessly link in the main site with the articles, MW reports etc.

Ease of use on mobile devices is another point on our wish list.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wikipedia, quoted no prophet: UBB.classic (formerly Ultimate Bulletin Board) - Social Strata's original internet forum system written in Perl and using a flat file system. End-of-lifed on June 15, 2006.
I guess there is life after death after all!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Are you volunteering?

I sincerely doubt I'll have the time. I'm sure the same is true for everyone else and that's why it hasn't been done already [Smile]

However, if the powers that be could indicate that they would be OK with screen-scraping the site/boards, I could add it to my list of possible weekend projects. I'll reiterate the lack of time, but it's just possible that I might find myself procrastinating from something more important at some point…

Amy

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Software upgrades are, indeed, something that comes up on a regular basis.

Yes, there are oodles of options for software to run the boards. Each has it's own particular sets of strengths and weaknesses. The sticking point has often been not that it would be great if the whole data base (threads, profiles etc) could be ported straight in - because if we need to start from scratch (as we did moving from Neoworks to UBB) we can. The sticking point is that we would like, if at all possible, to integrate the entire Ship into a single system. To my knowledge, at present there is nothing available that will even replicate the limited integration of the boards with the Cafe that we currently have, let alone take the extra steps we'd like to make to seamlessly link in the main site with the articles, MW reports etc.

This is a clear statement of what is wished for that I had never seen before. I am on another forum that runs phpbb (https://www.phpbb.com/) and it runs Ajax chat. The web page integration is a whole other idea.

Thanks for the info.

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The sticking point is that we would like, if at all possible, to integrate the entire Ship into a single system. To my knowledge, at present there is nothing available that will even replicate the limited integration of the boards with the Cafe that we currently have, let alone take the extra steps we'd like to make to seamlessly link in the main site with the articles, MW reports etc.

Would using WordPress be a solution to this? They have plug-ins for chat rooms and forums and have their own forum software (http://bbpress.org/). I think they also have plug-ins for using mobile devices, too.

[ 19. July 2013, 00:36: Message edited by: Pancho ]

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016