homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » baby panda?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: baby panda?
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the BBC, there are "strong indications" that Edinburgh zoo's female giant panda is pregnant following artificial insemination in April. We won't know for sure until just before the birth, which would happen between 24 August and 10 September. It could even be twins. If it happens, this will be the first ever birth of a baby giant panda in captivity in the UK. The baby(ies) will officially belong to China.
Posts: 331 | From: Lost and confused | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be nice, wouldn't it? A wee scottish panda.

I know it'll still belong to China, but maybe they could acknowledge the city of its birth and call it something like Jock or Tam or something. Hee - just had the image of a tiny ginger Irn-Bru drinking panda. How confused would that make panda mummy? [Big Grin]

Let's hope, eh?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Tam-Tam" would work well. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whaur's yer Kate and Wullie noo? Baby pandas are waaay cuter than Royal sprogs - and more readily merchandisable. If she goes pop, I'm seeing a furry tsunami of black and white and tartan.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Naw, it'd take more than two to get enough material.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Whaur's yer Kate and Wullie noo? Baby pandas are waaay cuter than Royal sprogs - and more readily merchandisable. If she goes pop, I'm seeing a furry tsunami of black and white and tartan.

[Killing me] Exactly. I foresee seeyoujimmy hats with panda ears popping out the top and black and white tufts around the sides.

Irn Bru already posted a thing on their facebook (what, I'm an ex-pat Scot, why shouldn't I 'like' Irn Bru on facebook) with a picture of a panda holding her baby and the caption "What's panda for 'we cannae call her fanny?'." (it's a pisstake of the Coke named bottles campaign, for those who've not seen the current, somewhat annoying, Bru ads.)

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will need to be called something part-Scottish and part-Chinese, as the baby panda will apparently have to go back to China after 2 years.

Either that, or she's not pregnant at all, and Edinburgh Zoo need to boost their tourist numbers....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Tam Lin? Or May for a female panda (I'm told it means "beautiful" in Chinese).
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about 'Tam Wei' then?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
How about Tam Lin?

You think they ken the Border ballads in Bejing? Actually that would be a good name - Ye Ken Noo.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't get your hopes up. As every DC resident can tell ya from our own worthless pair of nonparent pandas, the bamboo eaters often have "pseudopregnancies" that, to us, look exactly like the real thing—same hormone fluctuations, same behaviors—but without an actual pregnancy taking place. Even if a cub is born, they're often not viable, or get crushed by the mother in her sleep, or just inexplicably die within the first 100 days (after which you can actually name the beast). There's a reason most of us have grown a preference for red pandas, especially since they occasionally escape and make a run for the Neighborhood of Debauchery near the National Zoo.

And, while the Chinese government is very strict about you giving traditional Chinese names to their pandas (we sent Tai Shan back to the panda preserve a year or two ago), even the zoo recognized that the local media's name of "Butterstick" couldn't ever be lived down; his going away party was sponsored by Land o' Lakes Dairy in recognition of his local nickname.

So best of luck with your lil' IRN-BRU and Timtam!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
How about Tam Lin? Or May for a female panda (I'm told it means "beautiful" in Chinese).

May (I think the pinyin and thus the spelling is Mei) means plum blossom, which is beautiful. Would only really work if the baby panda is a girl, if you double up the name it is cuter so it could be called Mei Mei. My acquired Chinese name is Wen Mei (cultured/elegant) plum blossom, acquired as I am not Chinese, and haven't actually been to China, but one of my Chinese friends had an English name and thus said I needed a Chinese one so she helped me choose one [Smile]

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Update

There was a report yesterday in the Glasgow Herald suggesting that twins may be on the way. Something to do with the hormone levels in Tian Tian's urine. But we're being warned that there may be room for error, and there may not even be one panda cub on the way. I am getting so excited, I will be SO disappointed if it comes to nothing [Smile]

would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

No news yet, but tomorrow we enter the period of approx 2 weeks during which the panda cub(s) will be born if it is to happen. Fingers and toes crossed [Smile]
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently we have a cub in DC!
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nickel:
Apparently we have a cub in DC!

WHAT. WHAT.
Just checked the WaPo. Well well, born on the second anniversary of the Great Washington Earthquake, no less! If this one makes it out alive, I say we name it Shaky.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016