homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Reverend?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Reverend?
Up In Smoke
Shipmate
# 10971

- Posted      Profile for Up In Smoke   Email Up In Smoke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As an avid American viewer of British TV dramas, I've noticed in several recent series that characters who are clearly Anglican clerics are addressed by other characters as "Reverend," as in, "Excuse me, Reverend, but where were you on the night of the murder?" Is this merely some usage convention among TV writers, or is "Reverend" actually used when addressing Anglican clergy? I had thought that Father or Mister (when addressing male clergy) was more usual. Can someone enlighten this American Episcopalian? Some "correct" folks in these parts tend to tut-tut such usage.
Posts: 109 | From: The Left Coast | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Rev.", "Vicar" (whether technically one or not), "Padré" even (especially if from a military background). "Father" relatively rare; only used IME of Anglo-Catholic types by those in the know. "Mister" might carry implications of not particularly respecting the office.

Again, IME.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While incorrect, it is common to the point of universal in North America. It was rare in Ireland when I lived there (Mr or Fr being preferred, depending on whether or not one was addressing non-RC or RC clerics) but that might have changed under the influence of US television.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whenever I have seen Reverend used this way, it has been a situation in which one does not know how to address the individual in question. The word serves as a generic catch-all. I can't think of any clergy of my acquaintance who go by this.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very, very common in Australia now, even if technically incorrect. It's just a given now.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I grew up low church, it was "Mister" Last Name.

Now mostly I hear "Father" (or Mother) First Name in the local medium-high liberal church (one bell, no smells, some clergy prayers chanted). Or, equally often, just First Name, no title.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My dad was always Father Firstname in church and at school. I think outside the church they tended to opt for Reverend Lastname. In the rural villages "Vicar" was more common, though he was rector there and Vicar in town.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reverend is often used when addressing women clergy in the UK, especially by people asking for money (who would call a male priest 'father'). But people do say 'hello, Vicar' which is friendly, but incorrect when addressing me, because I am a deacon. Only a tiny group of nose bleed high affirming catholic Anglicans call me 'mother' and they are all friends from theological college...

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unless you are Dickensian urchin, you would never address anyone to their face as 'Mister'. That's for envelopes and referring to someone in the third person. 'Reverend' is not uncommon here as a form of address by undertakers (who should know better) and others, but what's wrong with 'Sir' or 'Madam'? It's different if you have a pastoral relationship with the minister concerned; then it would probably be Firstname, or Vicar, or Father/Mother, depending on the church or how well you know him or her.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Archbishop, Bishop, Archdeacon, Dean, Rector, Vicar, Curate, Reverend, Father.....all acceptable and commonly used terms of address here. But the one I really hate that is used a lot in rural areas (almost exclusively) is 'your reverence'. Hideous term.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Unless you are Dickensian urchin, you would never address anyone to their face as 'Mister'.

It's been a long time since I've been called an urchin (I think I was in my scamp days). For some years I worked in a context where Mr was regularly used in certain more formal meetings and with respect to some of the more elevated. In eastern and central Canada, I know it to be regularly used of non-RC clerics when they are not known personally.

@Fletcher Christian-- Your Reverence was often used by older people in Ireland. It was a favoured turn of phrase by beggars and panhandlers in Dublin and one of the most fearful curses one could ever hear was "God bless your reverence" when a man of the cloth passed by a beggar without giving a coin or a few words.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm trying to figure out what any of this has to do with worship practices [Confused]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I'm trying to figure out what any of this has to do with worship practices [Confused]

Just saw this and was wondering the same...

It might just work as a question on the 'Random Liturgical Questions' thread (clergy honourifics have occasionally turned up) but I don't really see it being suitable for an Ecclesiantics thread!

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016