homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How sad is your life?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How sad is your life?
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might think having the odd thread here get traction would be bad enough...

but no. I posted a review on an Amazon item and it achieved 'The most helpful favorable review' status (I haven't figured out how they decide who is most favorable as the results don't correspond exclusively to the positive v. negative vote percentage - I think total votes also plays a role and Yes I Think About These Things [Hot and Hormonal] ) and although I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it I'm not entirely:

I bookmarked the link on my phone and I check it often.

Sigh.

How sad is your life?

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to go to bed before my 2-year-old does.
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martha:
I want to go to bed before my 2-year-old does.

Same here, I'm waiting for mine to go to bed so I can go too.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I left a party in order to come home and log on to the Ship of Fools.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

Dear God, I thought I was the only one who did this!! Well, I didn't actually leave a party, as I never get invited to many so I tend to stay at them as long as possible, but I mention Ship of Fools at every opportunity... "...and then Rook said THIS and you would have thought he suggested boiling and eating babies, but then Mousethief said..." and checking in several times a day to see what's new... is there a support group for us?! [Smile]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I turned down a date so I could stay at home and keep my dog company a few days ago.

more than once I've turned down dates because I have a great book waiting for me at home.

I'm afraid it's going to take a pretty fascinating guy to get me out of the house.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone gave me the mini-series version of "Mildred Pierce," for Christmas and I'm looking forward to watching it so much I can't bring myself to watch it because then I wouldn't have it to look forward to anymore.
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
... is there a support group for us?! [Smile]

Well, come to think of it...a long time ago, in the Old, Old Cafe, Smudgie, Dolphy and I (with some help from Quizmaster) created SOFA, Ship of Fools Anonymous.

But we didn't really need it because we can quit anytime.
Any time now... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made up my own game of 'which (UK) Anglican theological college has the best alumni?'. Mirfield is just in the lead, followed by Cuddesdon, fyi.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Christmas tree is still up [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
I made up my own game of 'which (UK) Anglican theological college has the best alumni?'. Mirfield is just in the lead, followed by Cuddesdon, fyi.

My old acquaintance Hart is at Notre Dame, the best RC theological college in this country.

I tend to be the last poster on many threads way more often than I'd like...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess to visiting the Ship five or six times a day. And like any junkie, I am not giving you the REAL number of visits.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was 18, I spent my spare time poring over a map of Devon, square by square - making a list of every church in every village, so I could visit each one in turn and take photographs. (Of course, this was pre-internet, and the only comprehensive guide books were from 1850 or thereabouts.) When I think about how most 18 year olds spend their time, I think I must have been really sad, and strange....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Bump)

I've just spent three days tidying and clearing up my flat and I still haven't quite finished.

And I really enjoyed it.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get annoyed if I can't the "right" marmalade.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! [Big Grin]

Comet, it is not sad to give time to dogs over dates. (And I should know [Waterworks] !)

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do I detect a whiff of brimstone?

So, my nose is stuffed up. I think it smells that way.

Just to be safe...this thread is going to Hell.

jedijudy
(sick) Heaven H.o.s.t

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I get annoyed if I can't the "right" marmalade.

Starman... is that you?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I'm afraid it's going to take a pretty fascinating guy to get me out of the house.
[Hot and Hormonal]

You called?

[Biased]

Alien-extremely-intersting-erudite-intelligent-and-sexy-fromzog

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bring it on, zog boy.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Update: now the numbers are 103 of 113 found it useful.

There was a significant uptick in activity beginning in late November of last year which ran pretty much through Christmas and then it fizzled after the Holidays and now we're back to a slow increase overall.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I was 18, I spent my spare time poring over a map of Devon, square by square - making a list of every church in every village, so I could visit each one in turn and take photographs. (Of course, this was pre-internet, and the only comprehensive guide books were from 1850 or thereabouts.) When I think about how most 18 year olds spend their time, I think I must have been really sad, and strange....

Don't know - I had a relative by ******** (now an outlaw - at least somebody wants him - you can't beat the old ones) who took off after his first year at Bicton and returned with a box Brownie full of what became black and white snaps of black and white cows - cows and fields in every one - and there were many.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the ship boards were down for maintenance a few days ago I literally did not know what to do with myself.

I posted a tweet about it hoping for sympathy.

[ETA: well, you won't get much here. Let's try All Saints.

Ariel,
Heaven Sprite]

[ 12. February 2013, 11:48: Message buggered about with by: Ariel ]

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sigh. All my 4000 books are catalogued. If I had my way they would be in Dewey order around the house, but the architects got the layout all wrong. [Waterworks]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
When the ship boards were down for maintenance a few days ago I literally did not know what to do with myself.

I posted a tweet about it hoping for sympathy.

My brother. No, seriously.

[ 15. February 2013, 05:24: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
My Christmas tree is still up [Hot and Hormonal]

Today Motherboard's Minions took down the farolitos,
I was saving them for when Marmot comes. (And I'm sticking to that story.)

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She has minions?

I now have 'Despicable Me' style minions in my head ...!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Sigh. All my 4000 books are catalogued. If I had my way they would be in Dewey order around the house, but the architects got the layout all wrong. [Waterworks]

Not all our books are catalogued yet but the ones that are done are shelved in Dewey order (with some slight amendments).

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will meet your Dewey, and raise you a personal library arranged by the Union Theological Library System (a modification of the Library of Congress)

How sad is that?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Xmas list consisted of wool sweater and socks. And just the right tea, if it could be found.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
I made up my own game of 'which (UK) Anglican theological college has the best alumni?' ...

D. and I once created Cathedral (and College) Choir Monopoly. For the choral geeks out there, King's and St. John's were respectively Park Lane and Mayfair.

It would be unkind to say which one we nominated as the Old Kent Road, but the idea was inspired by a choir we'd just heard at the time, who weren't awfully good ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016