homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you were a cardinal?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: If you were a cardinal?
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who would you vote for? - seriously rather than spoof-fully? And why?

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.
- Henry Ward Beecher

[ 13. February 2013, 19:22: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww, spoof-fully would be far more fun on H&A Day.

Why not go the whole hog and have a woman?
I'll put in a wildcard for Ann Widdecombe, who was sounding off on radio today (billed as a 'recent convert'), about who should be next ****. Why on earth would they listen to her anyway, unless....

I wish I had put a bet on, but thought it might have been disrespectful to the Holy Spirit. - Ann Widdecombe (not commenting on the p***)

[ 11. February 2013, 18:40: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it about time for the Anti-Christ to get the post?

--Tom Clune

The real Antichrist is he who turns the wine of an original idea into the water of mediocrity.
- Eric Hoffer

[ 11. February 2013, 18:42: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody with better media skills than BXVI.

I like to write when I feel spiteful. It is like having a good sneeze.
- David Herbert Lawrence

[ 11. February 2013, 18:47: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My punishment is deserved. However, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can say Protestant by I can't say C*******? WTF? And I can say Minister but not ****** or ******?!?

Anyway, I'm rooting for C******* Marc Ouellet, the former Arch****** of Quebec and Primate of Canada mostly because he's a Canadian.

But he who goes in a papabile comes out a c*******, so there goes that idea.

What can I say, I'm an alcoholic. It's what I do.

Ron Wood

[ 11. February 2013, 19:50: Message buggered about with by: Gwai ]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need a job. Can I apply?

What I don't like about office Christmas parties is looking for a job the next day. - Phyllis Diller

[ 11. February 2013, 20:09: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As to who to elect ? Beyond my paygrade as a seperated brother. I would h*** he was a pious, holy man,with the capacity to communicate
with people by talking with them as oppossed to talking at them, a man with a view to getting along with we seperated brethern , and jews, muslims et. al. A man of sound doctrine
But maybe a man young enough to lead for awhile.
To H.H. ******** XVI thank you for what you have done and a happy retirement
[Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

Volumes might be written upon the impiety of the pious. - Herbert Spencer

[ 11. February 2013, 20:12: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Sch%C3%B6nborn but with reservations due to his visits to Medjugorje.

Never put your faith in a Prince. When you require a miracle, trust in a Witch. - Catherynne M. Valente

[ 11. February 2013, 21:17: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Needless to say the bookies are pretty much entirely wide of the mark; it won't be an African, Asian, or South American. That's just a bizarre form of wish fulfilment on the part of liberal, white Westerners (who might be unpleasantly surprised by a p*** actually from those areas, e.g. Ranjith).

If it's going to be a non-Eur***an the only candidate who could attract sufficient support is probably Ouellet.

The most likely candidate, for the simple reason that the Italians will dying to reclaim the papacy, is Scola. He's not particularly popular among the Italian episcopate but he's the only Italian who could attract sufficient support from the rest of the College of C*******s. Unless of course Bertone adopts a "scorched earth" policy and sabotages Scola, which I wouldn't put beyond him. Bagnasco might be considered an outside bet.

Among the other Eur***an candidates probably only Canizares, "the Little Ratzinger" can be considered a serious prospect, but that is tempered by the fact that he only speaks Spanish. The suggestion that Schoenborn is in contention is laughable given he has presided over a de facto civil war in the Austrian church and the Medjugorje crap.

If I had my choice the next p*** would be Burke, but that is unlikely because firstly he would be very strong medicine for the less traditional elements of the College and secondly he's American.

Society bristles with enigmas which look hard to solve. It is a perfect maze of intrigue. - Honore de Balzac

[ 11. February 2013, 21:19: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:

The most likely candidate, for the simple reason that the Italians will dying to reclaim the papacy, is Scola. He's not particularly popular among the Italian episcopate but he's the only Italian who could attract sufficient support from the rest of the College of C*******s.

If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I would be inclined to stick a fiver on that. We shall see..

Part of it went on gambling, and part of it went on women. The rest I spent foolishly. - George Raft

[ 11. February 2013, 21:21: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Cthulhu
PRAY TO BE EATEN FIRST
# 16186

- Posted      Profile for Cthulhu   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
[QB] I need a job. Can I apply?

YOU NEED TO GET PAST ME FIRST

--------------------
I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL. Nothing personal.

Posts: 78 | From: R'lyeh | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tClune
quote:
Isn't it about time for the Anti-Christ to get the post?

I thought that has always been the essential criterion. [Devil]
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With no dog in this fight, I h*** the post stays ***n long enough to make ***rations go downsl***; maybe those radical American nuns will be able to c*** then . . . or n***.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - P*** John Paul II
quote:

IN OTHER WORDS READ THE THREAD AT THE TOP OF THE DAMN BOARD, thankyou.

Doublethink
P u r g a t o r y H o s t

[ 11. February 2013, 23:24: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I think C*a*r*d*i*n*a*l Peter Turkson is rather cool.

Some campaign blurb:
quote:
The Rev Stephen Domelevo, from the Ghana C*a*t*h*o*l*i*c communication office, said: "C*a*r*d*i*n*a*l Turkson is a wonderful person, very down to earth and humble. He lived in a simple way, and he was someone people felt very comfortable with. He is excellent at communicating scripture in a way that people really understand. He speaks many local languages – as well as Eur***an languages – and uses jokes and humour to really portray messages to people. He has that human touch." ~from the Guardian
"Like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear;
Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!" Shakespeare

Well, I think he's a cuty. Nice smile. [Big Grin]

Yeah, yeah, Ghanan not Ethiopian. Bite me.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

Some campaign blurb:
quote:
The Rev Stephen Domelevo, from the Ghana C*a*t*h*o*l*i*c communication office, said: "C*a*r*d*i*n*a*l Turkson is a wonderful person, very down to earth and humble. He lived in a simple way, and he was someone people felt very comfortable with. He is excellent at communicating scripture in a way that people really understand. He speaks many local languages – as well as Eur***an languages – and uses jokes and humour to really portray messages to people. He has that human touch." ~from the Guardian

A less sanguine view of Card. Turkson:

Clerical Whispers on C******* Turkson*

quote:

Doublethink

(*Fixed your link with tinyurl)

[ 12. February 2013, 16:54: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoy imagining the shit storm that would arise at my church if the media had come along and said "The A*******s have never had an African Arch****** of Canterbury. What about this Akinola fellow, he seems nice enough?"

Obviously it is different, because the role of the Arch****** of Canterbury and the role of the P*** are different, and also because the degree of acceptance of homosexuality is more broad among A******* ******s than among potential P***s. And I think it would be cool to see an African P***. But it really is worth looking beyond the novelty and examining the candidate, something that I think sometimes gets lost in general media speculation.

quote:

Doublethink

[ 12. February 2013, 16:49: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been at least three African P***s already. And at least one of them, Gelasius, is certainly not mythical. (The others probably aren't either but we don't actually know anything much about them)

quote:

Doublethink

[ 12. February 2013, 16:50: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course there have. But its been 1500 years or so since the last one, so it would be cool to see one.

quote:

Doublethink

[ 12. February 2013, 16:50: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got nothing agin' the prospect of a P-O-P-E from the global south, but then I don't have much of a say. I think CL is right, though, in saying that most of the people who want it the most are Western, white librul types (Cafflick or no). And for the life of me, I can't imagine that these people would like a P-O-P-E from Afrika anymore than they would like one from Milan, at least insofar as Dead Horses are concerned. If you wouldn't want Peter Akinola as ABC, then I'm not sure why you'd want Peter Turkson as P-O-P-E.

In short, I just don't get it. Is it just because we want novelty? What if the Italian (boring as it would be) really is the best man to lead the church?

[ 12. February 2013, 17:53: Message buggered about with by: Jon in the Nati ]

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where is your epigram, Jon ?

Doublethink
Purgatory H o s t

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd vote for Lou Brock because he had a lot of good years with the C*******s when I was growing up.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."
Yogi Berra

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh boy. Hmm.

"I blessed the rains down in A-a-a-frica..."
~Toto

Am I doing it right?

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Cool]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
Oh boy. Hmm.

~Toto

Am I doing it right?

When I try to think of an epigram, all I can come up with is my boyhood rhyme, "Here I sit broken-hearted..." Hardly seems like the sort of thing a P*** should post...

--P*** Thomas I

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
Oh boy. Hmm.

~Toto

Am I doing it right?

When I try to think of an epigram, all I can come up with is my boyhood rhyme, "Here I sit broken-hearted..." Hardly seems like the sort of thing a P*** should post...

--P*** Thomas I

You need to read more Restoration poets: "Wheanas in silks my Julia goes, then methinks how sweetly flows, the liquefaction of her clothes" Herrick, if I remember rightly.

Actually, if we did have a P o p e who appreciated the sensuousness of that, then those of us currently treading water in the Tiber might have a chance of not sinking..

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

Here's an enterprising entrant into the lists - Father Ted's ****** Len Brennan, who looks somewhat like Card. Ouellet, if you are squinting - a lot

Vote for Len Brennan

If indeed Card. Ouellet gets the gig, I shall promptly christen him Papa Len..

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Ronald Binge ! I can see your prose showing, it needs to be decently covered with an epigram or you'll frighten the beef burgers.

--------------------

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Ronald Binge ! I can see your prose showing, it needs to be decently covered with an epigram or you'll frighten the beef burgers.

How about, Great minds think alike and fools seldom differ

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had a look on Google to see if there are any suitable candidates with the correct surname, Rev. P0pe. Have found Rev. Gayle and Rev. Mark already. Not from the correct denomination, but surely nobody will notice....

[Oh yes they will! “When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones]

[ 12. February 2013, 20:50: Message buggered about with by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

Some campaign blurb:
quote:

A less sanguine view of Card. Turkson:

Clerical Whispers on C******* Turkson*

quote:

Doublethink

(*Fixed your link with tinyurl)

Oh. Well then- not so cute. [Mad]

quote:
An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise.
Victor Hugo

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Somebody with better media skills than BXVI.

Translation: try to master a game in which your opponent makes up all the rules.

Bah, humbug. The secular media had it in for Ratzinger before he was even elected Pope (and probably for the church itself). Some did all they could to prevent his election, as if it was their choice to make; when they failed at that, they just lay in wait for an opportunity to manufacture a "gaffe." It came not least in the form of an academic lecture in which he quoted someone centuries ago suggesting that Muslims were responsible for violence. Bingo: they reported it out of context, set off hordes of insecure Muslims who expect the whole world to play by their rules, and all of a sudden His Holiness was looking like a doofus. It was their responsibility in providing facts to explain the context, not only the quote and the occasion but the speaker's disclaimer that he did not believe the quote himself. If they had done their job, there would have been no "crisis".

As long as "media skills" enable you to make your points rather than prevent you from doing so, they're all well and good, but like all skills they exact at least an opportunity cost. Give me a pope who has something interesting to say among fellow scholars first.

[ 13. February 2013, 21:37: Message edited by: Alogon ]

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I was a cardinal, I would assert that the next pope whomever or whoever he is, be required to adopt the name George Ringo I.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Who would you vote for? - seriously rather than spoof-fully? And why?

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.
- Henry Ward Beecher

Someone who can get along without a star quality boyfriend, like that dog, Gorgeous George Gaenswein, personal private secretary, who upstaged the papal appearances the all the time.

[ 14. February 2013, 04:12: Message edited by: Mr. Rob ]

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The election of a Pope from the Third World, especially South Americal or Africa would be a recognition that the Global South is where we must look for further growth in the Church, and that post Christian Europe is no longer the hub it once was. And it wouldn't be a bad thing when we consider that 42% of the worlds Catholics are Latin Americans. This will certainly happen one day.

But I agree with CL that it won't be now. Italy still has the largest bloc of voting Cardinals, 25 out of 118, with the US next at 12. The maths of the conclave make it likely that the Italians will try to reclaim the papacy. My money is on Cardinal Scola. In spite of what the bookies say, the liklihood of a non European this time round is remote.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Myself,I would vote for none of the above. The Collegium is stacked by conservative old men. It does not bode well for the Roman Catholic Church, IMHO.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd rather be a hoopoe.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gramps the college of Cardinals has had roughly the same sort of make up for centuries.
For centuries also things have not boded well for the Catholic church and yet and yet confident of the ultimate protection of the Holy Spirit the Church continues and will continue until the Great Day of Judgement.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr. Roy Bourgeois because I think he is what the RCC needs right now.
Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd look for (1) a proven charismatic teacher; (2) doctrinally sound while acquainted with and sympathetic to liberation theology and the thought of René Girard. In fact I'd try to consult Girard himself for advice. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places... (3) It would be a nice bonus if one of the next pope's first acts were to find a good Italian-speaking English cathedral choirmaster to move to Rome and take over the Sistine Chapel Screamers. But if someone with Benedict's impeccable taste and musical connections couldn't do anything about that situation, it's probably hopeless. [Biased]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it narrows the field quite a lot, but how about someone who doesn't bring to mind phrases like "obstruction of justice" or "accessory after the fact"?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
I know it narrows the field quite a lot, but how about someone who doesn't bring to mind phrases like "obstruction of justice" or "accessory after the fact"?

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone who:

a) is compassionate;

b) takes child abuse seriously;

c) doesn't think protecting clergy is more important than protecting children;

d) is honest;

e) is kind;

f) is shrewd, but not a creature of the Vatican political system;

g) firmly believes that women and girls are equal to men and boys;

h) allows for God having a feminine aspect;

i) is committed to helping the poor;

j) is both gentle and tough, as needed, but always loving;

and

g) female.

The last is very unlikely. OTOH, lightning struck St. Peter's when the current pope quit. (Seriously; find the awesome pic online.) And an archbishop in New York, a possible papabile/candidate, said it made him think of the Holy Spirit descending.

So...who knows?!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The dove descending breaks the air
With flame of incandescent terror."

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

[Roll Eyes]
CL for Pope then! Everything would be solved by the old eyeball rolling..

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

The last is very unlikely. OTOH, lightning struck St. Peter's when the current pope quit. (Seriously; find the awesome pic online.) And an archbishop in New York, a possible papabile/candidate, said it made him think of the Holy Spirit descending.

So...who knows?!

The last time that happened was during the First Vatican Council just after Papal Infallibility was voted on. They still have not decided whether it was a sign of God's favour or anger!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the current instance, if it's a sign of anything at all, rather than the chance concatenance of rain, electricity and a large domed building, it's a sign that something unusual is happening. I don't think anyone can argue it is approval or condemnation. After all, the conductor seems to have worked.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the Douay-Rheims Bible, Psalm 77/76 (10-18) :

10 And I said, Now have I begun: this is the change of the right hand of the most High.

11 I remembered the works of the Lord: for I will be mindful of thy wonders from the beginning.

12 And I will meditate on all thy works: and will be employed in thy inventions.

13 Thy way, O God, is in the holy place: who is the great God like our God?

14 Thou art the God that dost wonders. Thou hast made thy power known among the nations:

15 with thy arm thou hast redeemed thy people the children of Jacob and of Joseph.

16 The waters saw thee, O God, the waters saw thee: and they were afraid, and the depths were troubled.

17 Great was the noise of the waters: the clouds sent out a sound. For thy arrows pass:

18 the voice of thy thunder in a wheel. Thy lightnings enlightened the world: the earth shook and trembled.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
In the current instance, if it's a sign of anything at all, rather than the chance concatenance of rain, electricity and a large domed building, it's a sign that something unusual is happening. I don't think anyone can argue it is approval or condemnation. After all, the conductor seems to have worked.

Maybe it's God's way of endorsing Santelli & Sons*, lightning rod installers?

--------------------
*Name made up. I have no idea exactly who the Vatican uses to install its lightning rods.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016