homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Glurge Collection and other stories

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Glurge Collection and other stories
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder what Glurge people are getting forwarded at them these days?

I'd like to offer this little gem (Snopes analysis thereof). The question "what were you thinking when you shared this?" does come to mind:

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/buried.asp

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get any glurge these days - I'm sure it's got nothing to do with my habit of tersely replying with a Snopes link. [Devil]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I have/had a friend who used to send me loads of stuff like this too - and I also responded with Snopes links.

She did once respond with an embarrassed 'Oh I always forget to check Snopes' but doesn't send stuff to me any more.

In fact, she doesn't seem to contact me at all any more...

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently got this gem, which is in Snopes but strangely not under the Glurge heading.

A belated thanks, BTW for introducing me to the word "glurge" in the first place, of which I hadn't heard before. You have filled a gap in my vocabulary.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love the quote at the end of that Snopes piece, as well!

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny thing, lately there is often included a link to Snopes to affirm the ridiculous story. That Snopes discounts the story is either missed by the sender or they hope the recipient will not check.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What worries me about such a story is that anyone capable of coherent thought would believe it for even an instant.

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sending the snopes link back to the sender works for me too, although I find that the flow of internet jokes, myths and glurges has just about dried up these days. I think most of us became a bit bored with it in the '90s, and spam filters have knocked out the rest.

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this sort of thing circulates more by facebook now than e-mail.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I think this sort of thing circulates more by facebook now than e-mail.

Another reason I'm happy not to be on Facebook.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016