homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » This really made me smile...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: This really made me smile...
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly this should be in heaven.

I just spotted this video which struck me as surprising and amusing. I'm not, as some of you will well remember, well versed in worship from higher up the candle, and this light-hearted video was somewhat not what I expected from a church that has acolytes and thurifers. What do people who come from this sort of tradition think of it? I guess I had the impression that the people who went to more traditional churches wouldn't want pop music and acolytes mixing, but I would be glad to be told I am wrong!

Best wishes,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It made me smile too. [Smile] Thanks for the link.
(Nice to see you, Rachel!)

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just love that !

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sent it out to all my Acolytes/EMs when I first saw it.

I'm pretty sure that's the Coadjucator Bishop of the Diocese of West Texas at the end.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the famous rachel:
What do people who come from this sort of tradition think of it? I guess I had the impression that the people who went to more traditional churches wouldn't want pop music and acolytes mixing, but I would be glad to be told I am wrong!

Two points.

First, by Episcopal standards, that Church was probably pretty middle of the road. I am guessing that it is because of the flags throughout the church- I don't think you would see the six flags over Texas in an Anglo-Catholic shack. They did burn incense, but that happens on special occasions at middle of the road Episcopal churches.

Second, I think that is exactly what we want our young acolytes to be doing. Many of us who attend higher up churches do so because we experience joy in worship. We want our kids to be serving, having fun as servers, and learning about the aspects of the service. I don't think my (higher up than the church featured in the video, I suspect) church would have any problem with our kids doing something like this.

The famous youth worker Mike Yaconelli used to talk about the "Jones Memorial Carpet," a (fictional)valuable and ancient oriental rug that was donated to the church by an old member. He always encouraged youth leaders to make sure that their kids were dancing on the Jones Memorial Carpet. Part of what you are trying to teach kids is how to enjoy being in church. These are the kinds of activities that accomplish that task.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love it. Points to the rector (if that is who he is) for joining in. Do I sense a mimed and lip-synched sermon in his future?

[ 08. March 2013, 22:46: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw and then shared this on Facebook. I thought it was wonderful.

[deleted duplicate post]

[ 09. March 2013, 10:44: Message edited by: seasick ]

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's certainly worth sharing twice! Thanks for the link!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they did call a cassock-alb an "alb" but most TEC churches are MOTR, aren't they

(Really I loved it. If only we had Episcopal youth of comparable numbers within 100 miles in any direction...Praise God for Corpus Christi. I sent a link to a few ex-Episcopalians in that city I know)

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved it. I'm trying to work out if our Youth Group could do a Presbyterian version.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really uplifting, sweet and funny. I'm blubbing as I write this. Thanks very much for sharing this video.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Two points.

First, by Episcopal standards, that Church was probably pretty middle of the road. I am guessing that it is because of the flags throughout the church- I don't think you would see the six flags over Texas in an Anglo-Catholic shack. They did burn incense, but that happens on special occasions at middle of the road Episcopal churches.

Second, I think that is exactly what we want our young acolytes to be doing. Many of us who attend higher up churches do so because we experience joy in worship. We want our kids to be serving, having fun as servers, and learning about the aspects of the service. I don't think my (higher up than the church featured in the video, I suspect) church would have any problem with our kids doing something like this.

Thanks. I always find the different perspectives on what constitutes "high" church really interesting. To me, even occasional incenses is so far from my usual experience as to take a church well away from the "middle or the road".

I'm really glad to hear that even "higher" churches would comfortable with their youth doing something like this. Would that extend to them bringing elements of this sort of thing into your usual services? I don't mean the full on dancey thing, but maybe elements of more "popular" music, or similar?

Best wishes,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have sent this to our Company of Servers group. We think we could make our own video.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the famous rachel:

I'm really glad to hear that even "higher" churches would comfortable with their youth doing something like this. Would that extend to them bringing elements of this sort of thing into your usual services? I don't mean the full on dancey thing, but maybe elements of more "popular" music, or similar?

Agree with Og that that looks fairly MOTR, and a ringing agreement that that kind of joy and enthusiasm is great.

My personal preferences run to music played on organ and trumpets, composed by white men who have been dead for a couple of hundred years or so.

What passes for "modern" music around here tends to have originated in the 1970s, and is played with great enthusiasm on guitar and tambourine by people who remember it from the first time around. I don't have a particular objection to "popular" styles of music in church, although it's probably more suited to a performance piece during the offertory, say, rather than congregational singing.

Parodies of secular songs, however, I don't think have a place in a service of worship. This video wasn't just fun, it was also funny, and whilst worship can certainly be fun, I don't think it should be funny. But if our church youth group wanted to do something like that to entertain us during coffee, I'd be all for it.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't think the video was for during worship, but an advert for an event. I was intrigued as to why one person was in cassock and surplice but others in cassock-albs and why serving Christ maybe involves throwing him over your shoulder. Also couldn't decide whether the word was maybe or baby until the credits.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I didn't think the video was for during worship, but an advert for an event. I was intrigued as to why one person was in cassock and surplice but others in cassock-albs and why serving Christ maybe involves throwing him over your shoulder. Also couldn't decide whether the word was maybe or baby until the credits.

Carys

I also thought the over-the-shoulder gesture was odd. I suspect it's meant to be carrying a cross, but it gets lost in translation. What would a better gesture be, I wonder?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I didn't think the video was for during worship, but an advert for an event.

Sure. Famous Rachel was asking about incorporating something similar into a service, which is the origin of my comment.

The over-the-shoulder gesture might have been a bit odd, but it's not nearly as bad as what seems to be local practice for children's choirs, which is to sign random words from the song they're singing in a peculiar mishmash of ASL and "here's something I just made up". It's as though people think that children can't sing unless they waggle their hands.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the reasons I liked this was that it wasn't something to be incorporated into worship (where I'd find it a bit contrived) but was an advert for a forthcoming event.

The words are a huge improvement on the words to the original song (Call Me Maybe, by Carly Rae Jepsen).

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry, but this didn't make me smile at all -I guess I'm getting old.I think I'd change churches if my church attempted to introduce something like that.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that any church that has that many young people active in it is doing something right that many are doing wrong.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I utterly don't understand how anybody thinks this church is in any way suggesting that this be done in worship or would be good and efficacious to do in worship. It was just a fun, extra-curricular promotional video that got done for an acolyte festival. I mean jeez. . .
Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
The words are a huge improvement on the words to the original song (Call Me Maybe, by Carly Rae Jepsen).

My wife has a theory that even people who pretend to hate "Call Me Maybe" actually love "Call Me Maybe." It's a damned catchy number.

Re: the over the shoulder motion, I'd chalk that up to regular "we have one youth group meeting to choreograph and film this thing" pressure. It doesn't really fit the lyrics, but you come up with something better. "Call Me Maybe" parodies aren't known for sophisticated choreography.

(I'd also be careful about suggesting a "Call Me Maybe" parody to a group of teenagers- it's a bit 2012. Maybe it's time for a Presbyterian version of the Harlem Shake.)

The only time I have seen straight-up pop music used in Episcopal worship was at a youth conference, where the band worked a few positive pop songs into their sets. The kids I was chaperoning thought it was incredibly lame. But those kids prided themselves on being more urban and edgy than the rest of the diocese- they were more into punk than pop music, and I don't think that any of them could have named a Christian rock band off the top of their heads. (I used to consider it my calling in that youth group to show by example that it is OK to be a Christian and not like Christian rock.) Some of the other kids enjoyed it, from the looks of them.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In reading back through the comments that have been posted thus far, I wonder if everyone who posted negative comments actually watched the video to the end. It was, to say again, an advert for the acolyte festival of the Diocese of West Texas, which was to be held at a parish in Corpus Christi, Texas. It was NOT something being done within any sort of service of divine worship.

I thought it was fun and wonderful -- seeing these young Episcopalians with so much enthusiasm.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
My wife has a theory that even people who pretend to hate "Call Me Maybe" actually love "Call Me Maybe." It's a damned catchy number.

I love the bouncy, catchy tune! I just think the original words are mince. These words are much better!

"When I go serve before the Lord I am so glad, I am so glad, I am so, so glad" - it makes me happy to hear that bit, sung with genuine enthusiasm.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB] One of the reasons I liked this was that it wasn't something to be incorporated into worship (where I'd find it a bit contrived) but was an advert for a forthcoming event.

[/b]

The trouble is, unaware people might see the video and turn up at the church expecting it to be like this normally. Then they'd be disappointed!

Cute video, though.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought there must have been a cultural reference I was missing!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
[QB] One of the reasons I liked this was that it wasn't something to be incorporated into worship (where I'd find it a bit contrived) but was an advert for a forthcoming event.

[/b]

The trouble is, unaware people might see the video and turn up at the church expecting it to be like this normally. Then they'd be disappointed!

Cute video, though.

Yes, in which case they'd be VERY naive about the Episcopal Church in this country at any rate. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could take it as anything other than a cute, contrived advert for a special Church youth event! There is nothing/no one else around to suggest an actual service of divine worship.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016