homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Smartphones (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Smartphones
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you use yours for most?

Me - I use it to check the weather forecast more than anything.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FB, Chess, Strava, Weather forecast, Ebay...

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[missed edit window] I almost forgot - occasionally I make phone calls and send texts.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phone calls? you are so adorable, grandfather.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Yes, it's this marvellous technology that allows you to talk to people in real time like they were right next to you, even if they're the other side of the world. It's amazing!

It'll be the next Big Youth Fad, you mark my words.

[ 15. February 2013, 11:38: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Email, diary, cloud, twitter/fb and web in general.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Texting and talking are up pretty high on my list of smartphone uses. It's really for maps, games and checking the Ship when I'm away from my laptop! The important things, you know.

[ETA...and for beating Kelly in Words with Friends...]

[ 15. February 2013, 15:39: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Email, Texting, Facebook, mobile banking, weather. I almost never use my phone to make phone calls (which is something I dislike anyway.)

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calendar, GPS, notes, lists, sometimes fo say the Mass, reading, listening to music, texting, emailing, talking, games, looking things up on google, news, FaceTime, Skype, torch or flashlight, scanning qr and bar codes, banking, paying bills, depositing cheques, Soundhounding and Shazaming, FB and Twittering, YouTube, Morning and evening prayer, calculator,Star Gaze, calculator, tip calculator, four square, buying tickets, and many more.

When out and about of course. Most of those I do on my iPad when at home. Word processing at the office on a desktop PC, and major downloading on a home lap top, and most reading on a Kindle.

If I were fashionable I read books and listen to records, but being retro is kind of cool too!

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at blogs, and things like the Ship. Also checking maps, bus timetables, and other things.

Facebook. Lots of facebook.

Finding out football scores of other matches while you are at a match.

Catching up on work email before I arrive at my desk so I can give my boss the impression that I am paying attention and know what's going on.

I have a Bible and a bird identification guide and a couple of keys to wild flowers. And starmaps.

Looking at infra-red, natural light, & x-ray photographs of the far side of the Sun. And today a lovely picture of the aurora over a snowy wooded valley in Norway. Thank you NASA and the European Space Agency!

I avoid talking on my iphone. It wastes the battery, and its not a very good phone anyway. If I have to phone someone - a thing I have always disliked and hate more and more as I get older - I use a five-year-old cheap nokia to do it. Actually talking on the phone is so 1980s.

But I do read a lot of poetry on my iphone. Lovely free poetry app fropm The Poetry Foundation and Poetry magazine. You can "spin" and you get a random poem. Lets give it a spin now:

quote:
Lines composed a few miles above tintern abbey, on revisiting the banks of the wye during a tour. July ...

[Poem removed. App or not, it's probably just as much copyright as a poem posted on someone's web page. Link, by all means, but please avoid cutting and pasting entire poems from other sites. Thank you. - Ariel, Heaven Host.]

[ 15. February 2013, 17:13: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading and writing emails, checking my calendar, facebook, twitter, listening to podcasts, taking cute pictures of my kids or knitting, showing people cute pictures of my kids or knitting, checking the weather forecast, news headlines, looking at train times, checking out routes with the map, Google reader, Bible (I use Olive Tree), Common Worship daily prayer, storing knitting patterns, using the knitting pattern row counter that links to my Ravelry projects, taking notes on the move (Evernote), checking my bank balance, reading files from my Dropbox.....

Not to mention phone calls and texts.

You would have to prise the thing from my cold, dead hands.

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
emails, reading books, playing games, facebook, quick internet checks, check ship or yeah and now and again text.

It some times rings (well it's not a ring, but...), however i'm an antisocial person who doesn't do phone calls.

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal]
I don't have one.
[Hot and Hormonal]
I don't have an i or smart anything.
[Hot and Hormonal]
I am considering getting something technologically up to date (probably not a phone actually) but I am completely and utterly bewildered by the options and don't know where to start.
[Help] [Hot and Hormonal] [Help]

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Aravis, if not a phone, just wait a bit for the next iPad mini. It will be cheaper than the big one and can do anything an e-reader or tablet or smartphone can do except talk (which you will be able to through Viber, etc anyway.) it will soon became your vade mecum.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have one either.
I don't have an i or smart anything.
I am not considering buying anything technologically up to date.

I have a mobile which cost about Ł25 from Argos. I text on this (mainly to my kids) and make occasional phone calls because they are free with the package I got from giffgaff.

For checking the weather or news there is the BBC or a newspaper; for emailing and internet there is my pc; I read proper books not a kindle; for music there is YouTube, CDs or the radio.

I do not use twitter and have never heard of shazam or whatever it is...

How on earth did you people manage before techy stuff?? [Eek!]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from a phone's normal purpose I text, check the ship, browse the news, read books and occasionally browse the net. I especially love being able to use the phone as a computer and book reader when I'm in a situation where I have to wait for long periods of time - like in a doctor's office. In addition to having a battery saver app (cause smart phones are battery hogs) I carry an extra battery with me so I can do everything without worrying about the battery.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serious question: don't people find it irritating to peer at the screen, or having to scroll along to read something? My daughter shows me stuff on hers (eg Facebook, emails, websites) if we're chatting about something, but I could never use it myself, it would drive me mad!

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if mine is a smartphone. It doesn't have a touchscreen. I use it to check the time, make phone calls, send texts, read the news on the internet, get the travel news if needed and check (but not send, because it's too complicated) email, mostly in that order.

I could do a whole lot more, like take pictures, but I don't really want to, I have cameras for that.

I accidentally once left it behind at the office one Friday evening so was without it for the weekend, but didn't find I missed it much.

To be honest I'm a bit fed up with keypads, logons, menus, scrolling, glowing screens and electronic this, that and the other. It's nice to have real things: talk to real people, read real books, etc etc. It's all virtual stuff and a bit intangible otherwise, and difficult to get much sense of reality from it.

[ 15. February 2013, 18:15: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My phone has all these apps, but if I turn on the data access most of them need, the battery ebbs like water down a plug hole.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Nokia N900 is mostly next to my bed - useful to email checking, browsing and the odd bit of Facebook or Twitter.

I know I'll have to upgrade at some point - but as I've been housebound with cellulitis - which is continuing to heal... most of the time I'm on my laptop or netbook...

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
For checking the weather or news there is the BBC or a newspaper; for emailing and internet there is my pc; I read proper books not a kindle; for music there is YouTube, CDs or the radio.

For news there is the BBC News app. YouTube and the radio are also on the phone.

Then there's navigation, I use mine as a cycling or walking sat-nav (without the annoying voices). Google sky map is another good one.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

Nobody has mentioned the camera app which is probably used more the the talking app! And the glories of Vimeo, Instagram and Wimp.

And magazines and newspapers when you can't get to a device with a larger screen.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
For news there is the BBC News app. YouTube and the radio are also on the phone.

Radio, yes, that's a good one. The signal is more stable on the phone than on my mini pocket radio.
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the Tunein app for internet radio (though I only use it when I have WiFi on.)

My mobile has a good camera for a smartphone, but I'm more of a photography enthusiast than casual picture taker and prefer to carry a real camera for snaps.

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
e-mail, calendar, weather, maps, occasional web browsing

what is this Facebook thing of which you speak?

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
what is this Facebook thing of which you speak?

What middle-aged people use instead of Twitter

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

So no-one gets fed up peering into this little screen, then? (second time of asking.)

To tell the time I look at my watch. To check the calendar I look at my diary, a proper paper one with actual pages that I can write on with an actual pen.

And what on earth are 'Vimeo, Instagram and Wimp.'?

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

Vimeo is like YouTube for video photography enthusiasts. It tends to be more artsy than YT.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since smart phones are battery hogs I found an app JuiceDefender that does a good job of battery management. There are 3 versions: free, plus and ultimate which offer varying levels of management of apps, wifi and other data. I have the free version with that automatically turns off data access when I am not using the phone, but will scan for new texts, emails, etc. at a schedule I set as well. It really has made a difference in the usage. Of course, if you're using data all the time you won't save much.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
So no-one gets fed up peering into this little screen, then? (second time of asking.)

Yes, I do. I keep it to a minimum - the size is annoying but also the intense glow of screens, even turned down, is difficult to look at for long periods. (YMMV.)

quote:
To tell the time I look at my watch. To check the calendar I look at my diary, a proper paper one with actual pages that I can write on with an actual pen.
I've always hated wearing watches and virtually never wear one. I'm not even sure where mine is. I don't really need one anyway; with a mobile, pc, various public clocks etc, I haven't found I need one. Too many people seem to be fettered by the things.
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

quote:

And what on earth are 'Vimeo, Instagram and Wimp.'?

Toujours Dan is right. Vimeo is an artsy YouTube. Wimp is a more organized YouTube, videos of things like cats falling off things and so on. Instagram is also kind of artsy, photos and comments. Most often really good shots of things--often beautifully staged rather than snaps of friends in a booth with somebody's thumb blocking a waiter.

And Pine Martin, all those things you said you do on different devices, viz., watch,calendar/diary, etc., are much easier on one simple device. Not only have I stopped wearing a watch, but I've got this doohickey on the back of my iPhone that is merely a millimetre thin, yet has a pouch to carry a driving license, (which is the default ID card in the US), a credit, a charge, a debit card and a screen cleaner. So I rarely carry a wallet anymore either. Just grab the phone the keys. All set!

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

...until the thing gets lost, and then you can't do anything and are completely buggered! [Biased]

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
...until the thing gets lost, and then you can't do anything and are completely buggered! [Biased]

If you lose it around the house you find it. If it's truly lost or stolen there are security apps that can be installed that have locater software as well as a program that will provide photo and video of the thief and other software to wipe phone if need be. Apps are available for free from reputable security companies. Can't help with the license or credit cards unless they are found still with the phone.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

Right Nightowl. They're all protected nowadays. All the info is in the cloud, so if God forbid, it's lost or stolen, you can go to any other computer, tablet or smartphone and chase the bugger down. Happened to someone in a mall the other day--someone's iPhone was stolen and they launched the Find My iPhone app and traced it to a motel, called the police and the got the phone back. I assume they pressed charges.

Sure much easier to get a stolen smartphone back than a wallet,(because they always know where you are and what you are doing and with whom and for how much and for how long) though losing either one is hardly fun.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to the many uses listed above by shipmates, I'd be lost without Tripview. It covers every bus, train and ferry timetable for Sydney. There's a free version but I paid $2.50 so I could save often used trips. Brilliant , it also says if transport is running on time or late.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

Yes, that and the privacy issues would be my cause for concern.

When I was younger I'd have absolutely loved this sort of thing and would have been inseparable from whatever gadget I was able to afford. Now I'm just fed up with the technological rat race. You get one of these things, it's always superseded by a newer, flashier model within months. You need batteries, upgrades, anything the manufacturers can think of to keep you spending and dependent, and people have come to take it for granted that what they have is a short-term thing that they can and should expect to replace (at further expense) in a short while. Nothing is built to last any more.

Yes, they're useful, but it worries me that people are as obsessed with them as they seem to be. Look around any public place and you'll see most people aren't talking to anybody: they're immersed in playing with a phone that's used for just about anything and everything - except, from what I can see a lot of the time, actually talking to people in real time.

[ 16. February 2013, 06:15: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They have changed the casual conversations in our staffroom. Any question we can't answer is swiftly googled by one or other of us.

We wouldn't have bothered to zip off and get an encyclopedia/magazine/timetable/book/whatever in the past, the question would have simply gone unanswered and the conversation moved on.

They have certainly changed the way we handle information.

[ 16. February 2013, 08:10: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use the phone a lot. At work, our VoIP line allows free landline calls but not mobile; by making mobile calls on my smartphone it means that I can list the majority of the monthly charge as a tax deduction. I always add numbers into the contacts so I can identify the numbers.

I also use it for the time. I haven't worn a watch for over 20 years; I don't like it on my wrist and at uni there were clocks everywhere. Now all computers and smartphones tell the time.

Apart from that, well: calendar, maps, weather, (brief) notes, Facebook, Twitter, mobile banking, bushfire tracking, email, general web browsing.

I have a tablet and use that for more intense browsing, posting, etc, but most apps are on both devices so get used depending on what is more convenient at the time.

I don't take the tablet to church, so use the phone to look up bible texts during the sermon (contextualising the lectionary selections, for example), but I'm contemplating a move to the tablet. I'm also more likely to pull the phone out to make my return dentist/hair appointments. Both devices have an up-to-date list of books, music and movies for checking against when shopping (or replacing after a fire).

I snap photos with the phone. I'm not a big portable music person, preferring to load the car up with CDs, though I do sometimes catch up on podcasts when walking or put together a playlist to get me through dental work.

I'm also not a big texter. Part of my motivation for going 'smart' with the phone was getting these increasingly long texts from other people and having to answer them with a numeric keypad. But my texts are short.

I do other bits of specialist social networking too...

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my kindle app. I'd be lost without it. I probably use my phone most for reading books, texting, ignoring phone calls, and doing crossword puzzles. If it weren't for the calendar reminding me when I have to be where, I'd just wander around blankly all day.

this little gadget fits in my pocket. where 5 years go I would have had a telephone, a watch, a camera, a map, an address book, a radio, a date book, a note book, and my novel du jour, I now have one little gadget. if nothing else, I now carry a lot less stuff.

[ 16. February 2013, 10:43: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Yes, that and the privacy issues would be my cause for concern.

When I was younger I'd have absolutely loved this sort of thing and would have been inseparable from whatever gadget I was able to afford. Now I'm just fed up with the technological rat race. You get one of these things, it's always superseded by a newer, flashier model within months. You need batteries, upgrades, anything the manufacturers can think of to keep you spending and dependent, and people have come to take it for granted that what they have is a short-term thing that they can and should expect to replace (at further expense) in a short while. Nothing is built to last any more.

Yes, they're useful, but it worries me that people are as obsessed with them as they seem to be. Look around any public place and you'll see most people aren't talking to anybody: they're immersed in playing with a phone that's used for just about anything and everything - except, from what I can see a lot of the time, actually talking to people in real time.

I'm with you, Ariel - nothing is built to last, and people don't expect it to... <sigh>

I'm not convinced, I'm afraid. I love my watch, my proper diary (which is in my bag) and my CDs. Anything else can wait until I can look it up properly. I don't use online banking but I do sometimes book theatre tickets online, on my pc, and I frequently buy stuff off Amazon. That's about it for techy stuff. We obviously live in different spheres.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
E-mails, face book, maps, weather, notepad, read books and games, if waiting somewhere, take pictures, google and now and again make a phone call.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me the major one is Diary. Work insists I use an electronic diary (it is now Google calendar). So as I can't work with separate home and work diaries, I have tried, I have gone all electronic. The move to google has meant that I can keep my home appointments out of my work diary and block time if I need to keep it free. As both home and work diaries are just different google calendars, then I only have to worry if Google collapses, not if I loose my smart phone.

Otherwise, weather, facebook & twitter if I am not by a computer, occassional prayer (Iona Thought for the day, and also Sacred Space plus a bead labyrinth), train and bus times, directions to new places, time (I destroy watches), notes, messages and as a phone.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

In case anyone's interested, here's an article on smartphone addiction.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Yes it is an interesting article Ariel.

I understand it too, because I'm like that with my laptop. I can't get into surfing on the phone 'tho, it's too small for me. Like I said in the OP the only thing I check is the weather. My friends have got used to the fact that I'm really poor at replying to texts and if they want an answer they have to phone me.

Here is a great idea to cure the social problem of checking phones.

(My friend plays cornet in a brass band and, in rehearsals, he checks his phone during rests! He's so good on his instrument he's never missed a beat. My husband [the drummer] is constantly astounded by him - he's not a youngster either!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am an extreme introvert, a bit of an apprentice hermit and prefer the written to the spoken word. I use my phone to receive calls from friend (one!) and family and otherwise communicate via text messages.

It took me some hard work to "de-smarten" my Wave III.

1. Banished all those silly icons of chatter functions from the main screen.

2. Switched off calendar function. I still use a leather-bound filofax to keep track of my -luckily rather modest- "agenda" [Cool]

3. Downloaded detailed operating instructions from Samsung's site to find out how to block incoming phone calls. First numbers to be blocked were those of my employer -this is a private phone, and my job (Professor) does not require me to be reached out of office hours.

4. Assigned nice ringtone to friend and family and something ghastly to other incoming calls, so I can exercise discernment before even picking the phone up.

5. Switch off roaming. It just costs money. I prefer a good book or the company of my own thoughts ( [Eek!] ) to the internet.

6. Fit phone with large storage SD card and upload hours and hours of intelligent podcasts and classical music on same.

7. Indulge oneself. I admit to having uploaded one, and only one, game.
The only reason I got myself a touch-screen device in the first place is the sad fact that I am quasi-addicted to Fruit Ninja [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have one. I have the sort of phone that Noah used and it texts and makes calls, which is all I require of a phone. For the internet I have my desktop computer. For a diary I have a paper one. For reading I have books and my Kindle.

My experience of smartphones, with other people, is that they seem to become surgically attached to one's hand and you can't go anywhere without them. They should come with a health warning. [Eek!]

I am, however, contemplating a tablet (which, until recently, I thought meant deciding whether you were going to take paracetamol or Nurofen for a headache). I'm surrounded by iFamily so it will probably be an iPad so that they can show me how to use it. [Biased]

Nen - techno-learner. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Yes it is an interesting article Ariel.

I understand it too, because I'm like that with my laptop. I can't get into surfing on the phone 'tho, it's too small for me. Like I said in the OP the only thing I check is the weather. My friends have got used to the fact that I'm really poor at replying to texts and if they want an answer they have to phone me.

I'm more addicted to my laptop when I'm home then the phone. Though I use the items I listed above it's primarily used when I'm in a "waiting" situation or if I'm eating out alone. I never allowed work to interfere with my off hours via landline or cellphone (that they aren't paying for) when I was working. My job didn't require it and unless there is a valid need that goes with the job and is understood upfront "don't bother me". I think a lot of people are allowing their employers to abuse them. I was raised with manners that stated if you're with other people in a social situation you don't read or engage in other tasks unless it's part of the group setting or friends know up front you have something that HAS to be done. Constantly checking for texts or reading the net tells the people you're with they aren't important.

Frankly, I'm not sure why people are so enraptured to Facebook updates telling them the most mundane items others are doing.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I don't have one. I have the sort of phone that Noah used and it texts and makes calls, which is all I require of a phone. For the internet I have my desktop computer. For a diary I have a paper one. For reading I have books and my Kindle.

This is me exactly - except that I don't have a Kindle, and would add: "for taking photographs I have a camera". Occasionally someone will say to me accusingly, "I phoned you but your phone was switched off" and look astonished when I reply, "Yes, it usually is". I check it for texts most days and if people want to get hold of me in between I have email and a land line.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just upgraded to a smartphone two weeks ago. I have made a conscience decision to not download the Facebook app- I really don't need constant access to Facebook, and I really don't need people knowing where I am at all times. And no one wants to see pictures of my lunch, which as far as I can tell is why you have Facebook on the Smartphone.

I have become hooked on Evernote. It's a nice way of organizing thoughts into notes. They suggest using it to take pictures of things you want to remember (bottles of wine, etc.), but I find it helpful for clipping recipes from the internet. If you see something you want to make later while on your laptop, you simply clip the recipe, and it will be saved on your phone for the next time you are at the grocery store.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

This is me exactly - except that I don't have a Kindle, and would add: "for taking photographs I have a camera". Occasionally someone will say to me accusingly, "I phoned you but your phone was switched off" and look astonished when I reply, "Yes, it usually is". I check it for texts most days and if people want to get hold of me in between I have email and a land line.
I don't take photos, but in other ways we are obviously kindred spirits; I have to keep my phone on divert and silent when at work and that's the way it stays most of the time, unless there's some crisis that I need to be on hand for. If something's urgent people can leave a message or text. I just don't need or want to be that available.

Nen - who does love her Kindle. [Axe murder]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016