homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rape, Bullying and 'Anonymous' (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Rape, Bullying and 'Anonymous'
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot think of where else to post this. Hosts may decide it actually belongs in Hell? It brings out hellish feelings within me.

Anonymous threatens to out boys involved in alleged gang rape of N.S. teen unless RCMP charges them. Here is Anonymous' original communication.

Paralleling this is the Ohio highschool football players' rape conviction, in which Anonymous also got involved.
quote:
Above link
[Anonymous] posted the names of Steubenville athletes they were targeting for revenge, and published what they said were leaked accounts of the night's events. They used their skills to dig up artifacts of social-media braggadocio, including a 12-minute video of a kid who seems -- though there's no on-camera evidence of this -- to be joking about a rape that is actually taking place nearby.

I realize that this is essentially vigilante justice in cyberspace. At the same time, we have a terrible power imbalance and a little pressure on rapists, when frankly, we pretty well know they're guilty, seems to rectify it. With the key issue being that the police, prosecutors and/or community supporting the wrong side. So I get it and can see it as supportable in the right situations. Both of these situations seems to be the right ones. Not caring so much for rights of rapists as those they've harmed.

What do you think?

[ 11. April 2013, 02:43: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ProgenitorDope
Apprentice
# 16648

- Posted      Profile for ProgenitorDope   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a tough bunch of issues to say the least. Me personally, I can't say I approve of such vigilanteism. All I can think is "what if those boys are actually innocent, what happens then?" And even if these particular scumbags aren't, how long until someone who is innocent gets targeted?

Just my two cents.

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Stuebenville Athletes basically let it all hang out by posting videos of the rape on various sites--I think one of them was on You Tube until it was taken down. Anonymous took the time to track everything that was already out there and compiled the results. If they had not gotten involved, the athletes would have likely gotten away with it.

Two weeks ago a university professor here was beaten severely, sustaining head injuries. The police had surveillance tapes and posted them on line to generate leads. Other videos are now surfacing from people who taped it on their cell phones.

Just this evening two arrests have been made, a young man and a young woman. Two more suspects are being sought.

Point is, if something is done in public, it will likely be taped. If the authorities want to ignore it, there will be groups that will keep it in the forefront. But if the authorities keep ahead of it and use it to their advantage criminals will be caught.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Prophet , I'm not sure how your comment we pretty well know they're guilty stands with the presumption of innocence. Perhaps you could explain.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
No Prophet , I'm not sure how your comment we pretty well know they're guilty stands with the presumption of innocence. Perhaps you could explain.

Not sure if you've followed the story. The boys, (allegedly) involved posted on Twitter and Facebook over the course of the night of rape, which took place in several locations, joking about having sex with a "dead" (i.e., drugged and unconscious) girl, who apparently "deserved" it for being too drunk, in addition to that (absolutely horrifying) video. It's worth noting that two have been found guilty in court, hence the presumption of guilt at this point.

The presumption of their innocence related more to the boys' role on the town high school's football team and the centrality of football to the town's identity than anything else.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait till we're all wearing Google Glass. In the absence of internal morality, it will be imposed.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
No Prophet , I'm not sure how your comment we pretty well know they're guilty stands with the presumption of innocence.

Presumption of innocence is a legal term of art for the accused's treatment by a court of law. It doesn't apply across the board universally. Prosecutors, for instance, are not supposed to presume that the people they're prosecuting are innocent and public opinion, of course, is not bound by such legal strictures.

quote:
The public may reason according to its wits, but this court must reason according to the law.

-fictionalized Sir Thomas More, A Man For All Seasons

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Presumption of innocence is a legal term of art for the accused's treatment by a court of law. It doesn't apply across the board universally. Prosecutors, for instance, are not supposed to presume that the people they're prosecuting are innocent and public opinion, of course, is not bound by such legal strictures.

I think that depends on what you mean by "bound." ISTM that anyone who hounded another person for a crime for which they were not so much as charged might well be "bound" by a great variety of legal constraints.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
I think that depends on what you mean by "bound." ISTM that anyone who hounded another person for a crime for which they were not so much as charged might well be "bound" by a great variety of legal constraints.

Depends on what you mean by "hounded". Stalking and harassment laws usually protect even those actually convicted of crimes. Discussing one's personal opinion of the accused's guilt or innocence, and the evidence supporting that opinion, doesn't really rise to the level of "hounding".

To take an example of someone who was actually tried and acquitted, O.J. Simpson remains effectively blacklisted from his pre-trial career in the entertainment industry, largely because a lot of people consider him to be a double murderer who was able to "beat the system". They continue to believe this despite his acquittal.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bostonman, I was not referring to the Steubenville incident - where there have now been findings of guilt - but to the incident Anonymous is now writing about. I understood that to be the one No Prophet was dealing with. At this stage, there have been no charges, let alone findings.

What happened to Rehteah is truly horrible, and those guilty should be given suitable sentences. That's not the question. The questions are whether those whom Anonymous is threatening to name are those who committed those acts, and whether, if they be juveniles, they should be named; generally speaking here, there can be no naming of juveniles charged with criminal offences, even after a finding of guilt. In the ordinary course, a juvenile victim would not be named either.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How else will they get charged? The situation has parallels everywhere. Victims don't come forward because they know the presumption of innocence will be used to hammer them. Often viciously. The information in this case is that there is social media, we don't know what it all is, but we need to have it examined. This is no more brutal to the not-yet-accused than it has been for the now dead victim. -- From personal family experience, I have developed some differential opinions in the last 2 years.

The news reports are that the provincial minister of justice is reviewing the conduct of the police and prosecutors in this case. Probably because of Anonymous' efforts.

Probably the usual court and legal system based on English common law fails when dealing with all cases in the same Procrustean model. I would prefer a court in inquiry in such cases, where innocence and guilt are neither presumed. The accused is in limbo along with the victim. That the situation is not skewed.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the full Anonymous statement:

Operation Justice For Rehtaeh —- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anonymous engaged #OpJustice4Rataeh this morning in response to the suicide of Rehtaeh Parsons. Justice Minister Ross Landy says that it is important for Nova Scotians to have faith in their justice system. Mr. Landy, justice is in your hands.

Anonymous has confirmed the identities of two of the four alleged rapists. We are currently confirming a third and it is only a matter of time before the fourth is identified as well.

Our demands are simple: We want the N.S. RCMP to take immediate legal action against the individuals in question. We encourage you to act fast. If we were able to locate these boys within 2 hours, it will not be long before someone else finds them.

We do not approve of vigilante justice as the media claims. That would mean we approve of violent actions against these rapists at the hands of an unruly mob. What we want is justice. And That’s your job. So do it.

The names of the rapists will be kept until it is apparent you have no intention of providing justice to Retaeh’s family. Please be aware that there are other groups of Anons also attempting to uncover this information and they may not to wish to wait at all. Better act fast.

Be aware that we will be organizing large demonstrations outside of your headquarters. The rapists will be held accountable for their actions. You will be held accountable for your failure to act.

That is all.

---------------

Given the fact that Rehtaeh was horribly raped and bullied, in my state the names of the accused would probably be released whether or not they are juveniles since the case would likely be reminded to adult court.

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem is that the RCMP investigated, and couldn't get enough evidence, for whatever reason, to bring charges. As sad as it is, we may just have to trust this here. Situations like this, where the subject is drunk, are problematic; I sire wouldn't want to be tasked with sorting out everything.

But before anyone jumps me, no- being drunk is not a blanket invitation for rape. The rapists are still rapists. As well, all are under age (I believe so, in that jurisdiction), so legally, no consent could have been given. Surprise! Horny teens, especially drunk horny teens, often don't care about such restrictions - certainly they gave no regard to laws against underage consumption of alchohol.

And teens are brutes, among the cruelest creatures God's forbearance allows to roam the good green earth. Probably the best hope for prosecution in this case now is for cyber stalking and harassment.

And, as sexist as it may seem: Girls, don't go sneaking off to drink with a bunch of guys and not expect to face sexual pressure and possible rape. It isn't right, it isn't fair, it's just the nature of being a teen. It's not right or fair that I don't have the freedom to walk in every section of town any hour of the day or night, but I know better than to do so.

God, where are the parents? 'Course, kids can be sneaky...

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:
The problem is that the RCMP investigated, and couldn't get enough evidence, for whatever reason, to bring charges. As sad as it is, we may just have to trust this here.

Do we have to implicitly trust whatever the police tell us? There's no possible way this was a screw-up, corruption, or general laziness? That's an awful lot of trust in the infallibility of law enforcement.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems to me that a drunk girl is incapable of giving consent. If the perpetrators could tell she was drunk and admit they had sex with her, it's pretty clearly rape.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
The problem is that the RCMP investigated, and couldn't get enough evidence, for whatever reason, to bring charges. As sad as it is, we may just have to trust this here. Situations like this, where the subject is drunk, are problematic; I sire wouldn't want to be tasked with sorting out everything.

The RCMP may have not proceeded due to lack of evidence, or may not have proceeded because of influence. And believe me, influence does count. They are not always objective.

quote:
Tom of Tarsus:

But before anyone jumps me, no- being drunk is not a blanket invitation for rape. The rapists are still rapists. As well, all are under age (I believe so, in that jurisdiction), so legally, no consent could have been given. Surprise! Horny teens, especially drunk horny teens, often don't care about such restrictions - certainly they gave no regard to laws against underage consumption of alchohol.

And teens are brutes, among the cruelest creatures God's forbearance allows to roam the good green earth. Probably the best hope for prosecution in this case now is for cyber stalking and harassment.

And, as sexist as it may seem: Girls, don't go sneaking off to drink with a bunch of guys and not expect to face sexual pressure and possible rape. It isn't right, it isn't fair, it's just the nature of being a teen. It's not right or fair that I don't have the freedom to walk in every section of town any hour of the day or night, but I know better than to do so.

God, where are the parents? 'Course, kids can be sneaky...

Just because you said we shouldn't does not mean we won't react and 'jump' on you. You posted an unacceptable justification of brutality and rape, suggesting that teens don't have the responsibility to control themselves, and that they need their parents to exert control from the outside because hormones have overcome their internal controls. Viewpoints like your's are part of the problem.

How about you watch this short youtube videoHow do you deal with drunk woman passed out on the couch, and see if you agree with what he did.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not justify rape. It is wrong, wrong, wrong. If I walk on the wrong side of the tracks after dark, and somebody jumps me, it is wrong, wrong, wrong for them to do so. I should be free to walk anywhere at any time without that fear. But I know better than to do so.

Rape is wrong. It is always wrong. But to get a conviction, you have to be able to prove it. If you're so drunk you can't remember or control you own actions, it just makes getting that evidence that much more difficult. But I am not going to blame the victim, other than to say that putting yourself in risky situations can have unforeseen consequences, right, wrong or indifferent. And a bunch of boys with impaired inhibitions can be bad news. Would you not tell your daughter the same thing? Or would you say, "oh, honey, if you go get drunk with a bunch of boys, you need to tell them at the outset that rape is wrong and you do not consent to any sex this evening."

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Just because you said we shouldn't does not mean we won't react and 'jump' on you. You posted an unacceptable justification of brutality and rape, suggesting that teens don't have the responsibility to control themselves, and that they need their parents to exert control from the outside because hormones have overcome their internal controls. Viewpoints like your's are part of the problem.

I'm always amazed by the fact that those promoting the idea that men are all vicious rapists with no ability to control their brutal impulses are often the same people who claim that feminists are the ones with an unjustifiably low opinion of men.

--------------------

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

Should've read up further. No, Croesus, it's not any faith in the infallibility of law enforcement - it's just real world. Maybe there was evidence and they couldn't find it. Maybe they are grossly incompetent. Maybe there was outside influence. But there has to be evidence.

If the pressure by Anonymous can spur further investigation without violating the privacy and guarantee against unreasonable search & seizure (ok, it's Canada, but on the same principle), then I say good for them - but vigilantism can easily go the other way, we all know that,and it would be as bad as what these kids have done to her (via the online chatter) for Anonymous to bring it's not inconsiderable wrath down upon an innocent boy.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The problem is that the RCMP investigated,

Steubenville shows the evidence was there yet, until pressure was applied, the authorities did not use it. There are examples throughout the world and throughout time of perpetrators escaping prosecution due to laziness, corruption and pressure.
There are also examples of innocent harassed for the same factors.
I want the bastards who did this to face conviction. I want the actual bastards to face conviction.

On a tangent, thinking of the poor girls fellow students, I do wish there were also penalties for all the people who harass victims of crimes.
There are times when I think humans are actually on the lower end of the incarnation scale.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

Well, I'm with you there, lilBuddah.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

So you're opposed to "vigilantism", except when you're not. I'm not seeing a clear difference between what Anonymous is threatening to do in Nova Scotia and what they actually did in Steubenville.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it depends on what information the "Anonymous" people have. In the Steubenville case, they didn't have to infer anything - they just took tweets, facebook posts, pictures and video, and said "here, look at this".

If what they are proposing is similar to that, they should provide it, and if there's a reasonable suspicion that the authorities might just sweep it under the carpet, there's not much harm in a bit of public pressure.

If what they have is more in the nature of hearsay - for example two third parties discussing what Johnny allegedly did to the girl - then making it public is more problematic.

So I think it depends on the details of what exactly they know when they say that they "know names".

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a question, what is Anonymous threatening to do if there isn't any legal action taken against the people they have identified? Make their names public?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Just a question, what is Anonymous threatening to do if there isn't any legal action taken against the people they have identified? Make their names public?

There's a link to their statement in the OP, and Gramps49 reproduced it in its entirety.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Crœsos: There's a link to their statement in the OP, and Gramps49 reproduced it in its entirety.
Ah I see it now, it is implied by 'The names of the rapists will be kept until it is apparent you have no intention of providing justice to Retaeh’s family'.

I wonder, since I'm not a lawyer, if a citizen accuses another citizen of a crime, what is the Justice system required to do?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Apparently the system has the options to: do nothing at all, to investigate, to delay the investigation, to charge. Many factors would seem to come to play in such situations. The authorities often, to me, seem to be playing the game of 'can we get a conviction' not 'should we move on this because it is right'. The justice system is not about truth or fact, it is about what can be proved. It needs some help in some situations to do the right thing. Hence Anonymous.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
no prophet: Apparently the system has the options to: do nothing at all, to investigate, to delay the investigation, to charge.
But suppose that I would go to a police station and accuse someone of a crime. I guess that the police officer would write a report of this accusation. Would the police have to come back to me about this? Even if they didn't follow up on it, would they have to explain to me why they didn't? Would there be a time limit for this?

Or would they only have this obligation if I were the victim?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm always amazed by the fact that those promoting the idea that men are all vicious rapists with no ability to control their brutal impulses are often the same people who claim that feminists are the ones with an unjustifiably low opinion of men.
I'm so glad a guy said that.

Really, I mean that. Five years ago I would have avoided a thread like this like the plague, mostly because I would have found the ignorant shit coming out of the keyboards of men I usually like too painful to read. Evidence that there are guys out there thinking things through is fortifying.

I have more to say, but the succession of events have proved a huge trigger for me, and therefore this is all I'm going to say right now.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Kelly - anyone who has a sister, has a daughter, has friends - how can they not understand this? If there are not a majority who understand, there will be.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
no prophet: Apparently the system has the options to: do nothing at all, to investigate, to delay the investigation, to charge.
But suppose that I would go to a police station and accuse someone of a crime. I guess that the police officer would write a report of this accusation. Would the police have to come back to me about this? Even if they didn't follow up on it, would they have to explain to me why they didn't? Would there be a time limit for this?

Or would they only have this obligation if I were the victim?

Our experience is that they have obligation at all, not even to the victim. The put off comment is "we're still investigating". If they decide not to proceed, then it's "we've closed the file". No explanations. I hope it is different elsewhere, but I've no such knowledge.

Only once and if the thing gets to a court, are there any obligations at all, and those obligations are those of the victim: to attend the court because of subpoena, and to given evidence as a witness and to be grilled and roasted (cross examined), not to hear anything, except a verdict. Victims are totally in the dark. And the little bit of support to victims via victims services officers is along the lines of 'would you like a coffee?', at least here.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

quote:
quote:

So you're opposed to "vigilantism", except when you're not. I'm not seeing a clear difference between what Anonymous is threatening to do in Nova Scotia and what they actually did in Steubenville.
Well, it's one thing to go to the authorities with evidence they were unable to uncover, but that Anonymous was. It's another thing to say that, if the authorities don't do what Anonymous feels is the right thing to do, Anonymous then (hiding behind their own anonymity) outs who they believe to be the perpetrators. There's ways to go about this within the rule of law. Like I said, Anonymous had better be right, because the backlash could end up with another teen suicide, innocent or otherwise.

I think I need to respond to something no_prophet said up yonder, perhaps better than I did before.

quote:
Teens DO have the responsibility to control themselves. But they DO need parental oversight, because despite responsibility AND ability, they often FAIL to do the right things. That's why they are called minors; why they can't marry and execute contracts without parents' consent; why they are not permitted to consume alcohol. When they drink, it further impairs the inhibitions that we have been trying to inculcate in them. It's not right, it just is what happens when you ingest booze.

I recall teens in my high school long years ago (late 60's/early 70's) talking about ways to get a girl drunk by appearing to drink heavily yourself, for the express purpose of seducing (I'd be more apt to call it raping) her. It was disgusting to me then and it's disgusting to me today.

Like I said: Teens can be the most brutish creatures on the face of the planet. Handle accordingly.

--------------------

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bullying , rape and cyber bullying are repugnant beyond belief. The people who do this should be identified and named , juviniles or not.
And these offenses should only be tried in adult court. And sentences made mandetory and severe . Otherwise we will have other parents & their friends crying over the bodies of their young people. [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Teens DO have the responsibility to control themselves. But they DO need parental oversight, because despite responsibility AND ability, they often FAIL to do the right things. That's why they are called minors; why they can't marry and execute contracts without parents' consent; why they are not permitted to consume alcohol. When they drink, it further impairs the inhibitions that we have been trying to inculcate in them. It's not right, it just is what happens when you ingest booze.

I recall teens in my high school long years ago (late 60's/early 70's) talking about ways to get a girl drunk by appearing to drink heavily yourself, for the express purpose of seducing (I'd be more apt to call it raping) her. It was disgusting to me then and it's disgusting to me today.

Like I said: Teens can be the most brutish creatures on the face of the planet. Handle accordingly.

This is not my experience. From your post, we are probably close to the same age. My experience is that people certainly drank alcohol (that cost substantially less), and we knew less about drugs so smoked them more, but teens being brutish and awful? No. It is not my experience at all. Only a small percentage. If anything, people were more polite.

I hang out with teens all the time, about 50% of what I do and have done for the past 30 years of work. I don't see it.

Young people need what they have always needed. Internal controls. Not someone controlling from the outside. Most people develop them. Those who don't, when I was a teen, we beat them up until they got it, though then and today, the preferable place for both is with the authorities. If the authorities won't respond, we have to get them to. That's why I'm liking Anonymous' approach at the moment. Much better than beating up.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kelly - anyone who has a sister, has a daughter, has friends - how can they not understand this? If there are not a majority who understand, there will be.

Thank you for the "friends" part, at least. Part of the problem with the "Think of your mother or sister" is it kind of reinforces the idea that only a woman that is attached to a man somehow is worth protecting.

Sorry, I am taking a class where lurid conversations about really awful things happening to women are part of our steady diet, and I am just so, so sick of all of it. The soulessness of the way women are discussed sometimes.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
Bullying , rape and cyber bullying are repugnant beyond belief. The people who do this should be identified and named , juviniles or not.

Absolutely. You just need to be really damn sure you've got the right people before you destroy them. Scapegoating an innocent person just to satisfy the need for vengeance helps nobody.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

That was my point. We agree that this is awful behavior, that ought to be punished. And, as I said, I'm glad if Anon. can bring enough pressure to prosecute if it can uncover (and forward to the authorities) substantive evidence.

But for them to act as judge and jury (again, hiding behind their anonymity), and even "executioner" in a manner of speaking, they could end up with the blood of another suicide on their hands, guilty or innocent.

--------------------

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

Sorry to DP, but we have another. 15 year old girl passed out, is assauted, commits suicide. At least they are bringing charges against her attackers. [Mad]

An aside to no_prophet: I didn't say teens are ALL brutes and cruel beyond measure, but they sure CAN be.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So can adults. They're human.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

Thank you for the "friends" part, at least. Part of the problem with the "Think of your mother or sister" is it kind of reinforces the idea that only a woman that is attached to a man somehow is worth protecting.

Sorry, I am taking a class where lurid conversations about really awful things happening to women are part of our steady diet, and I am just so, so sick of all of it. The soulessness of the way women are discussed sometimes.

In Christ there is no male or female (or however that goes). This is an issue of basic humanity. Basic human rights. It is not gender specific. It is not specific to relatives. It is not specific to friends or acquaintances. It is also the response to anyone anywhere, on the other side of the world, or living next door. We have not choice but to play it forward.

It is traumatizing to hear and know such terrible things. I have only been able to play it forward, and not become immobilized by it. Which is a part of the evil.

Can I be feminist on this, and also male? Sure. Why the hell not. Because it is really about humanity.

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anonymous decides to do what the family asks for.

I'm of two minds about this.

There are obviously people known to have been involved. But, as the report states, some innocent names are being thrown around.

On the other hand, when it comes to women, I don't trust the RCMP as far as I can throw them. We don't know why the prosecutions did not move forward; but, the RCMP has form for bungling rape cases and a general misogynist culture.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Cole Harbour school and community have a long history of dysfunctional behaviours, although usually more in the line of racial events and fighting.

The police may have felt that they weren't getting anywhere in a culture that is actively opposed to police actions.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I am sick to hear of another parallel case as posted above.

The RCMP say they're reopening the investigation and also saying Anonymous has nothing to do with this. The RCMP and other police forces are not required to tell the truth except in court in Canada, and I suspect they are not telling the truth on this.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
I think it depends on what information the "Anonymous" people have. In the Steubenville case, they didn't have to infer anything - they just took tweets, facebook posts, pictures and video, and said "here, look at this".

If what they are proposing is similar to that, they should provide it, and if there's a reasonable suspicion that the authorities might just sweep it under the carpet, there's not much harm in a bit of public pressure.

If what they have is more in the nature of hearsay - for example two third parties discussing what Johnny allegedly did to the girl - then making it public is more problematic.

So I think it depends on the details of what exactly they know when they say that they "know names".

This is exactly the worry. When they say they have "confirmed" the identity of people, how exactly?

Not least because Anonymous is fundamentally a hacking group.

The police are authorized to use certain methods to obtain evidence. In certain circumstances the police require authority specific to the particular case. We call it a warrant.

Even if Anonymous has obtained cogent evidence, even if they hand it over to the police, one of the serious risks here is that it will be utterly useless for legal proceedings.

There is a comedy-drama show on Australian TV at the moment where a couple of cleaners solve murder cases, and give the evidence to a policeman. The show sometimes has the policeman getting stressed over just HOW the cleaners might know what they know, ie because he can figure out they probably broke in somewhere. The show can usually find ways around that, but in real life this is a deadly serious issue.

And that's even assuming that Anonymous is careful enough in reaching CONCLUSIONS from evidence. If police can jump to wrong conclusions, prosecute the wrong person, it's be foolish of Anonymous to not recognise they could do the same thing. But being noble idealists they probably won't recognise it.

The whole reason our justice system separates evidence gathering from definitive evidence assessing is to stop what Anonymous is perilously close to.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Something I found in the Slate Online Magazine

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Gramps - that is a great article. I especially appreciated the tern " slut-shaming", which I had not heard of before.

If anyone talks of someone being loose, easy or a slut, shame them.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the issues is lack of apportionment.
Even in cases of mutual consent, males are not viewed the same way females are afterward.
Male - "scored" "got lucky" etc.
Female - well she is a "slut" "tart" etc.
in cases like this, it is so much more egregious.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

I think, in this case, where it is apparent the girl was "slut-shamed" and the RCMP and prosecutors are not willing to take any further legal action, Anonymous is taking it to the next step: shaming both the boys who did the act, and the system for not being willing to act on the information they have.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I think Anonymous' actions are in a tenuous position. Vigilantism is wrong. However, as these cases show, a light needs to be shown on the authorities missteps. These are heinous crimes, they need to be investigated to the fullest. Not restrained because of a fucking game.(Steubenville)

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
I think, in this case, where it is apparent the girl was "slut-shamed" and the RCMP and prosecutors are not willing to take any further legal action, Anonymous is taking it to the next step: shaming both the boys who did the act, and the system for not being willing to act on the information they have.

"Shaming the boys". Which boys?

I mean, they've now come out and said "99% of you are naming the wrong boys". So, either Anonymous knows the true story and has succeeded in illustrating that large numbers of people can jump to the wrong conclusions, OR Anonymous itself was wrong and some innocent boys have been rescued by the family asking Anonymous not to publish the names.

Either way, there's a large conceptual gap between "shaming the boys who did the act" and "shaming the boys that Anonymous thinks did the act".

[ 14. April 2013, 22:59: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016