homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Became Anglican on Sunday!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Became Anglican on Sunday!
augustineofcanterbury2011
Apprentice
# 16464

- Posted      Profile for augustineofcanterbury2011   Email augustineofcanterbury2011   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be an RC but i became an Anglican on Sunday. i feel at home now and am looking forward to the future. Just wanted to get that off my chest!!
Posts: 18 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats! [Smile] I hope you will be very happy in your 'new' spiritual home. [Smile] Must have been special to be welcomed in on Easter Sunday.

I'm from a Brethren background, have some strong Nonconformist leanings, am also mildly charismatic, and have worshipped happily in Anglican churches for the best part of 30 years. [Cool] I was licensed as a Reader (Licensed Lay Minister, to use the newer and much superior term) in 2001.

What made you 'move across', as it were?

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by augustineofcanterbury2011:
I used to be an RC but i became an Anglican on Sunday. i feel at home now and am looking forward to the future. Just wanted to get that off my chest!!

Congratulations augustineofcanterbury2011 - I was Anglican for most of my life, and learned much of my theology within it. [Smile] Is there any significance to 2011? (It was the year I ceased to be officially Anglican, although I still carry a lot of baggage from those days.)

quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
..I'm from a Brethren background...

Would that be the Raven/Taylor/Hales Exclusives by any chance Laurelin? My father's family once all belonged to that. Now those who remain all seem to belong to something different, ie. the C of E, UCG (an International Assembly), NewFrontiers, Orthodox, Religious Society of Friends etc etc. I suppose it's good we are at least all still believers.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Would that be the Raven/Taylor/Hales Exclusives by any chance Laurelin? My father's family once all belonged to that.

No, Open Brethren. I've heard of the Taylorites but have no idea who Raven or Hales are! Which of course just made me Google. [Help]

quote:
Now those who remain all seem to belong to something different, ie. the C of E, UCG (an International Assembly), NewFrontiers, Orthodox, Religious Society of Friends etc etc. I suppose it's good we are at least all still believers.
Absolutely. [Smile]

To get back on-topic, [Hot and Hormonal] , 'being Anglican' has been good for me. I've always been evangelical, but the liturgy also gave me room to breathe. Also, it was through Anglicanism that I learnt more about other traditions.

One of my favourite Anglicans is the late, great David Watson. His death from cancer in 1982 was a sad loss to the church. [Frown] An excellent man who was also open and humble about his mistakes. A passionate evangelist who wrote some good books and led Anglicans into renewal, he was friendly and co-operative with Roman Catholics, and also had his head screwed on.

[coding]

[ 04. April 2013, 03:38: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Auggy, and welcome. Bless your heart for looking to the future- the Anglican Communion needs people like you!

And welcome to the ship as well.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that you have been an SoF member since 2011. Did reading here influence your decision, I wonder?

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by augustineofconterbury2011

As a fellow Anglican, welcome!

I was brought up a Methodist, and, since making my own mind up about the Christian faith, I have been involved in various forms of churchmanship over the last 30 years, including Pentecostalism and the Charismatic Movement.

The Anglican Church is widely criticised for being 'woolly' and spineless. But, in reality, the parish system provides a framework of tremendous freedom and choice. In my own town here on the south coast of England, there is a wide choice for Anglicans: charismatic, anglo-catholic, evangelical, "mainstream traditional" (my own choice), liberal. So if you feel uncomfortable with one variety, then you can move to another, but without having to leave the Anglican Church. Some Christians may abhor this system, but I regard it as a manifestation of honesty and freedom.

Wishing you every blessing.

Al

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One of my favourite Anglicans is the late, great David Watson. His death from cancer in 1982 was a sad loss to the church. [Frown] An excellent man who was also open and humble about his mistakes. A passionate evangelist who wrote some good books and led Anglicans into renewal, he was friendly and co-operative with Roman Catholics, and also had his head screwed on.

[TANGENT type=reminiscing]I've heard of David Watson, but never really knew who he was - so I just googled him. I found out he was a minister at St Michael le Belfrey in York - I went there on holiday with my family (I was a boy) during his time there. I expect I sat under his preaching without even realising who he was! (this was in September 1974)

I always wondered why my parents wanted to go there instead of York Minster - maybe now I know, so thanks Laurelin. [Smile]

I remember it was very busy, and it was the first time I heard the choruses "For the Fruit of the Spirit is..." and "We lift our hands before you as a token of our love, Holy Holy..."

In fact I've never forgotten what the Fruits of the Spirit are, since I visited St Michael le Belfrey.
[/TANGENT]

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
augustineofcanterbury2011: I used to be an RC but i became an Anglican on Sunday. i feel at home now and am looking forward to the future. Just wanted to get that off my chest!!
Has someone tried to put you on a volunteer roster already? (My experience with Anglicans is that this happens quite quickly [Biased] )

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

One of my favourite Anglicans is the late, great David Watson.

He was a lovely man. I spent a week in York in the '70s, staying with one of the families from St Michael Le B's. The Mysteries were on that summer too.

It seems like a dream now, but nice while it lasted.

Anyway, AugustineofCanterbury2011, I hope it all works for you.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
quote:

The Anglican Church is widely criticised for being 'woolly' and spineless. But, in reality, the parish system provides a framework of tremendous freedom and choice. In my own town here on the south coast of England, there is a wide choice for Anglicans: charismatic, anglo-catholic, evangelical, "mainstream traditional" (my own choice), liberal. So if you feel uncomfortable with one variety, then you can move to another, but without having to leave the Anglican Church. Some Christians may abhor this system, but I regard it as a manifestation of honesty and freedom.

Al

We get this in just one church! There's room for all types of worship, so we get everything from the traditional to the charismatic - there's room for everyone in our church family. Something else I feel is important is the structure and discipline - we know that ultimately, we are under authority, and I have been involved in a number of churches which have been torn apart on the authority question. Anglican churches don't tend to split into splinter churches!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations [Smile]

As a thread of happy reflections, I think this would live better in All Saints - unfurl your wings !

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

I've started a new thread here in Heaven on David Watson (evangelist).

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an Anglican from the cradle, welcome to the franchise, AoC - glad you have found a spiritual home in which you are comfortable and will come to play a role in in the months and years ahead - even if, as some have suggested already, that is being part of a volunteer roster. The Morning Tea roster is often a good start as it means you meet so many people and get to exchange words with them.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Cat Lady
Shipmate
# 17616

- Posted      Profile for Crazy Cat Lady   Email Crazy Cat Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew someone would mention tea
Posts: 52 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Apprentice
# 16464

- Posted      Profile for augustineofcanterbury2011   Email augustineofcanterbury2011   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Congrats! [Smile] I hope you will be very happy in your 'new' spiritual home. [Smile] Must have been special to be welcomed in on Easter Sunday.

I'm from a Brethren background, have some strong Nonconformist leanings, am also mildly charismatic, and have worshipped happily in Anglican churches for the best part of 30 years. [Cool] I was licensed as a Reader (Licensed Lay Minister, to use the newer and much superior term) in 2001.

What made you 'move across', as it were?

It feels liberating and flexible if you know what i mean? the C of E is such a broad church and inclusive. I feel very comfortable. I quite like the BCP/traditional but i also go to other services as well.
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:
Originally posted by augustineofcanterbury2011:

Congratulations augustineofcanterbury2011 - I was Anglican for most of my life, and learned much of my theology within it. [Smile] Is there any significance to 2011? (It was the year I ceased to be officially Anglican, although I still carry a lot of baggage from those days.)

quote:
..I'm from a Brethren background...

Would that be the Raven/Taylor/Hales Exclusives by any chance Laurelin? My father's family once all belonged to that. Now those who remain all seem to belong to something different, ie. the C of E, UCG (an International Assembly), NewFrontiers, Orthodox, Religious Society of Friends etc etc. I suppose it's good we are at least all still believers.

2011 was the year i started 'dipping my toe into the water'!
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Congratulations, Auggy, and welcome. Bless your heart for looking to the future- the Anglican Communion needs people like you!

And welcome to the ship as well.

Thank you very much. [Smile]
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I see that you have been an SoF member since 2011. Did reading here influence your decision, I wonder?

I have read a lot on here and it is interesting to learn of other People's experiences.
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
quote:

I was brought up a Methodist, and, since making my own mind up about the Christian faith, I have been involved in various forms of churchmanship over the last 30 years, including Pentecostalism and the Charismatic Movement.

Al

I quite agree. Thank you for your reply.
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
augustineofcanterbury2011: I used to be an RC but i became an Anglican on Sunday. i feel at home now and am looking forward to the future. Just wanted to get that off my chest!!
Has someone tried to put you on a volunteer roster already? (My experience with Anglicans is that this happens quite quickly [Biased] )
No not yet!
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

One of my favourite Anglicans is the late, great David Watson.

He was a lovely man. I spent a week in York in the '70s, staying with one of the families from St Michael Le B's. The Mysteries were on that summer too.

It seems like a dream now, but nice while it lasted.

Anyway, AugustineofCanterbury2011, I hope it all works for you.

Thanks very much.
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:
quote:

Al

We get this in just one church! There's room for all types of worship, so we get everything from the traditional to the charismatic - there's room for everyone in our church family. Something else I feel is important is the structure and discipline - we know that ultimately, we are under authority, and I have been involved in a number of churches which have been torn apart on the authority question. Anglican churches don't tend to split into splinter churches!
room fo everyone!
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Congratulations [Smile]

As a thread of happy reflections, I think this would live better in All Saints - unfurl your wings !

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

thanks!
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
As an Anglican from the cradle, welcome to the franchise, AoC - glad you have found a spiritual home in which you are comfortable and will come to play a role in in the months and years ahead - even if, as some have suggested already, that is being part of a volunteer roster. The Morning Tea roster is often a good start as it means you meet so many people and get to exchange words with them.

Thanks for your reply
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, AugustineofC2011! As someone originally brought up a Baptist, who then became Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) and then Anglican when I married a cathedral organist, I hope you have as positive an experience of the Anglican church as I've had.

I hope you can cook ...

Primary school class doing "show and tell":

Child A: I'm Jewish, and this is a yarmulka.
Child B: I'm a Roman Catholic, and this is a set of rosary-beads.
Child C: I'm an Anglican, and this is a casserole.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still love a casserole but I went the other way 45 years ago. My rosaries collection is quite extensive. [Big Grin]

Not regretted it either, and I wish you, also, a life free from regrets, Augustine 2011.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Cat Lady:
I knew someone would mention tea

the Anglican Godwin's Law.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear you are so happy with your decision. [Smile]

In my youth, I decided to look at the other options, as I'd grown up in the Anglican church but wasn't sure if I'd prefer any of the others. After extensive research, I now know that I'm an Anglican by choice rather than default. And that feels much better.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I still love a casserole but I went the other way 45 years ago. My rosaries collection is quite extensive. [Big Grin]

I'm Anglican and I've got quite a collection of rosaries too!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone was recieved into the CofE in Southwark Cathedral on Saturday. That wasn't you by any chance?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many congratulations. I remember we "spoke" by email when your journey began, and I am delighted to read this wonderful news.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

Cake, surely? "I'm an anglican, and this is cake."

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good question Ken! I was there too (one of the confirmees from the big South Lambeth mob if you were there :-))
Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Someone was recieved into the CofE in Southwark Cathedral on Saturday. That wasn't you by any chance?

No that was not me. I was at St Michael, Cornhill.
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by Liturgylover:
Many congratulations. I remember we "spoke" by email when your journey began, and I am delighted to read this wonderful news.

Thank you so much, nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well?
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ButchCassidy:
Good question Ken! I was there too (one of the confirmees from the big South Lambeth mob if you were there :-))

Yes, I usually go. We had about half a dozen of ours there this time. One of the women from the parish asked me how long it was likely to go on for - she didn't belive me when I told her - but in fact it turned out to be an underestimate...

--------------------
Ken

ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pssh - the RC one I usually go to, with Fr Triple Tiara presiding, is muuch longer, with full immersions! Which parish were you with, if thats not too outing yourself?
Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by ButchCassidy:
Pssh - the RC one I usually go to, with Fr Triple Tiara presiding, is muuch longer, with full immersions! Which parish were you with, if thats not too outing yourself?

"Ravensbourne Team Ministry" as we call it nowadays.

No real outing problem, I never pretended to be anyone I wasn;t on here anyway (though I guess I'll not be posting my street address, just in case...)

--------------------
Ken

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome AoC!

Don't believe them about the tea rota, cake, etc. Find the right parish and you'll find sherry after the service - champagne for festivals if you're lucky.

On the other hand ... how is your flower arranging? [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who was received into the Episcopal Church (USA) on the feast of Pentecost 2009, may you receive abundant and joyful blessings as you continue on your spiritual journey, AugustineofC2011 [Votive]
quote:

[Big Grin]

From listening to National Public Radio's Prairie Home Companion, it's my understanding that, in the U.S. Midwest, Child C would likely be a Lutheran! [Smile]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Cat Lady
Shipmate
# 17616

- Posted      Profile for Crazy Cat Lady   Email Crazy Cat Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was all about "Cake or death?"

Given we were recently served cake where the baker had forgotten to add the sugar, death would have been infinitly preferable!

--------------------
'They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me!"

Nathaniel Lee

Posts: 52 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
As someone who was received into the Episcopal Church (USA) on the feast of Pentecost 2009, may you receive abundant and joyful blessings as you continue on your spiritual journey, AugustineofC2011 [Votive]
quote:

[Big Grin]

From listening to National Public Radio's Prairie Home Companion, it's my understanding that, in the U.S. Midwest, Child C would likely be a Lutheran! [Smile]
Thank you. peace and blessings
Apprentice
# 16464

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Welcome AoC!

Don't believe them about the tea rota, cake, etc. Find the right parish and you'll find sherry after the service - champagne for festivals if you're lucky.

On the other hand ... how is your flower arranging? [Killing me]

i'm a quick learner!!!!! Thank you

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016