homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Let's talk about the weather! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Let's talk about the weather!
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl: Liberal Backslider reckons we are far too soft. He says -

quote:
No, people who are soft (or nesh as we say around here) complain of the cold when it's just a tad nippy, as over the last couple of days or so. Honestly, it's barely been below zero. Celsius, that is, not the random opium dream that is Fahrenheit.
I think zero here is COLD due to the damp. I have been in minus 20 in Romania and not felt as cold - the cold there is dry. Same in hot weather. Humidity makes it uncomfortable.

So, what is too cold/hot for you?

Is the snow too much or do you love it? Do you get under the duvet or get the sledge out?

Will Spring ever arrive in the UK?

Lets get heavenly about the weather [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant text from a woman in the Metro last week:

"Does anyone else think it's like living in Narnia, with the White Witch controlling the terrible weather?"

[Big Grin]

Britain's coldest March for 50 years. [Frown] Do not like, do not want. This bitter wind literally slaps your face around.

Hurry up, spring! Save us from the White Witch. [Help]

Aslan must surely soon be on the move. [Yipee]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well here it's got down to -18 with windchill this week and I don't think it's soft to complain about that being cold!

The wind here has been biting, it's like knives in your face.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure about the damp thing, Boogie. For me, one of the bright spots of the recent cold snap has been not having to scrape frost off the car every morning.
Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bored, bored, bored. I want to be out at weekends, and seeing spring flowers, enjoying the sunshine and light winds, fleecy March clouds scudding across the blue sky, the new lambs in the fields, the sunlight sparkling on the river, new green leaves and the first foretaste of the summer to come.

Instead I'm in by the fire looking out at endless grey skies punctuated with snow, wearing extra layers, cooking winter food and wondering when it will ever end. It got to the stage last night when I found myself contemplating giving up on the whole Spring thing and getting the Christmas tree back out again.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just put a coat and boots on. That's the problem with too hot weather (i.e. above 25C) - once you're down to wearing just swimmies and you're still too damned hot there's nothing more you can do. With cold you can always put another jumper on.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I just put a coat and boots on. That's the problem with too hot weather (i.e. above 25C) - once you're down to wearing just swimmies and you're still too damned hot there's nothing more you can do. With cold you can always put another jumper on.

I agree. I'm happy in hot weather if there is a pool very nearby - ie on holiday!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

I agree. I'm happy in hot weather if there is a pool very nearby - ie on holiday!
I'm not. I get bored after ten minutes and then it's back out into the damned heat. Or would, if I was ever near a swimming pool on holiday; they're one of my pet hates and I avoid them whenever possible.

I tend to go into reverse hibernation during the summer if we get a heatwave. This is one of the things I like about the British weather - seldom get those awful days of unbroken sunshine and cloudless skies. That's one of my images of Hell.

I like doing things on holiday - cycling, walking, climbing. Hot weather makes those things uncomfortable.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Extreme heat* is OK if you handle it properly. DO NOT strip off. Think like Arabs do, cover up in loose clothing that keeps the sun off (cheesecloth and similar don't do this), wear a hat, move slowly, in shade where there is any and when you are outdoors don't talk more than you have to: leave chat for indoors.

*One man's extreme heat is another's "Nice day, mate", so no numbers.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heat is good. It should be dry heat and about 80-85 and I'll feel happy. Intense strong sunlight, deep blue cloudless skies, heat shimmering off the pavements, a very gentle breeze rustling in the trees...
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Heat is good. It should be dry heat and about 80-85 and I'll feel happy. Intense strong sunlight, deep blue cloudless skies, heat shimmering off the pavements, a very gentle breeze rustling in the trees...

...And me screaming for respite.

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes well some of it is to do with adaption. Believe me when we've been roasting at 40 deg for a bit in the summer a drop to the lower 30s feels a huge amount more comfortable.

I look at the weather reports and keep asking myself how I am ever going to get used to British weather again when we move back to the UK at some point in the future. I'm usually fed up with rain if we have more than 3 days on the trot now...

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
Yes well some of it is to do with adaption. Believe me when we've been roasting at 40 deg for a bit in the summer a drop to the lower 30s feels a huge amount more comfortable.

I look at the weather reports and keep asking myself how I am ever going to get used to British weather again when we move back to the UK at some point in the future. I'm usually fed up with rain if we have more than 3 days on the trot now...

Apart from Manchester that rarely happens. Getting three days on the trot without rain's also fairly unusual, though.

Variety. That's what I love about it.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm in the habit of going for nice healthy walks - 3 or 4 miles around my neighbourhood, often including a walk through a local park. But I haven't done that for a week now. It's not the cold as such, it's the wind-chill that Jade Constable so aptly described. People give you funny looks if you go for a walk in the park wearing a balaclava and ski goggles.

I'm afraid with the high pressure over the Baltic, this weather could continue for weeks yet. None of the incoming Atlantic lows seem able to make a dent in it.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I think zero here is COLD due to the damp. I have been in minus 20 in Romania and not felt as cold - the cold there is dry. Same in hot weather. Humidity makes it uncomfortable.

Agree that humid cold is worse than dry cold- it sticks to your bones.

When you get to complain or scoff about the cold is somewhat relative. A few months ago, a late-night comic put together a compilation of local news coverage of the bitter cold front that hit Los Angeles. They were experiencing lows in the lower 50s Fahrenheit. That was worth a laugh.

My policy on when you get to mock someone for thinking it is really cold is as follows: when it gets to the point where someone sleeping on the streets could die from the cold, you no longer get to say "oh, this is nothing where I'm from." (They must teach that in the school system in Montana- people from Montana are always the first to tell you that a high of five below is nothing.)

(No apologies for using the opium dream scale. Before you go and tell me about how logical it is for water to freeze at 0 and boil at 100, let me remind you that it boils at 95c where I live. Nature doesn't fit into neat enlightenment era scales.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*waves from -24C (not counting windchill) and buttloads new snow*

I'm pretty sure I don't get to have an opinion here, so... hi! I'm going back to sleep.

[ 26. March 2013, 16:38: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not the cold, it's the sheer, unrelenting, grey.i can put on more clothing, but where's the sun?
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It made two brief cameo appearances today ... but it didn't last. We need Morecambe and Wise ("Give Me Sunshine").

And, if the temperature is predicted to be 3 degrees, could we at least have all three at the same time rather than on successive days?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the risk of excessive catastrophizing and long windedness, the weather situation is pretty much all we talk about here.

We are getting into the mid -20s°C overnight, which is in the -5 to -10°F range every night. Daytime highs range from about -5 to -15°C. Right now close to noon is is -13°C, so maybe +5°F.

We had another major blizzard last week. Snow drifts closing all highways and stopping trains etc. They are having trouble telling us when we had this much snow. Sometimes they say we beat the 1956 record, and other times they say the comparison is impossible. I recall a year in the 1970s and another in the 1980s where winter lasted until beginning of June. I have come to understand how quickly a glacier could form.

We are having pre-planning for floods. Last summer we had 310% of normal moisture, with the lake where our cabin is being 3 metres or about 10 feet above normal in the fall. We're going out this Easter weekend to shovel, snow blow and probably sand bag. Missing all the usual Easter services etc.

We're getting a third pump and considering a generator, because if the electricity goes out, we'll be really screwed. The problem is if it melts quickly, it will go onto the lake but there's about 8 feet of ice on the lake, which as things stand will not be free of ice until June.

Back in the city, I spent 5½ hours on Saturday shovelling off the roof of our house, third time since January, another 4 feet, and more Sunday shovelling that snow away from the house. We've got no where to put it. So we have pumps standing by for home as well.

The whole thing is an extremely serious situation. City and country. One of the theories being floated is that the Arctic Ocean is much freer of ice, thus the arm is warmer and picking up more moisture, and we're getting it as snow.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought comments about the current weather had migrated to Hell?
Well, the only good thing I see in it: Not since I was a child have I looked out so eagerly and so intensely for the first, tiny signs of Spring.

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

Stupid question: How cold does it get in Alaska in the winter? How warm does it get in the summer?

Stupid Question 2: What do you wear if you're outside in the winter - what's in the best layering system?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our snow comes and goes - at the moment it has almost but not quite gone - but then returns a few days later. And the deadly cold continues. I'm buying a succession of potted hyacinths from a local supermarket so I can see something - apart from some foolish snowdrops - blossom, albeit indoors.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On question 2, I can't speak for Alaska, but I did have a job where I work outside at a ski area for a while. Mind you, when you are working on a ski lift, if you got cold, you just picked up an ice chipper and started chipping away at the ice, which usually was enough to warm you up. But, when it got really cold:

Base layer of long underwear- tops and bottoms. Synthetic is best, as it gets the sweat off of your skin- this is key, you don't want cotton on your body. Thick synthetic socks. Insulated snow pants.

Boots. Thick, with huge soles, to keep your feet away from the ground. I went to a football game this December when it was 0 F out, and the feet were the first thing that got me.

Sweater or sweat shirt, and a synthetic fleece jacket. A hard shell on top of that. A neck gator (basically a stand in for a scarf, if you have to work around moving parts).

Wool or synthetic hat, and insulated work gloves.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
... Base layer of long underwear- tops and bottoms. Synthetic is best, as it gets the sweat off of your skin- this is key, you don't want cotton on your body.

Sweater or sweat shirt, and a synthetic fleece jacket.

Wool or synthetic hat, and insulated work gloves.

Then the English middle aged gays are doomed. We only wear natural fibres.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer cold weather and the cooler climates by nature, surely that's why I've spent most of my life in hot areas of the world.

The worst places for me are the humid areas of North America in the summer, that means practically everywhere West of the Rockies is hot and sticky and with global warming getting more so.

I really love the Northern European climate. The constant grey makes people really appreciate the glory of a sunny day with a clear blue sky.

Living in the desert Southwest of the US is great except a little blast of humidity makes people squirm though.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Agree that humid cold is worse than dry cold- it sticks to your bones.

In the same way humid heat is much worse than dry heat. I have never forgotten the day I walked out of work at five o'clock into a temperature of 100°F and humidity of 100%. It felt as if a solid object had been rammed down my throat.
quote:

When you get to complain or scoff about the cold is somewhat relative. A few months ago, a late-night comic put together a compilation of local news coverage of the bitter cold front that hit Los Angeles. They were experiencing lows in the lower 50s Fahrenheit. That was worth a laugh.

When I lived in Belfast, I was delighted to see a newspaper headline about the terrible heat wave we were having. The headline said, "Temperature soars to 70°".

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind cold. As cold.

What I do mind: Unrelenting greyness.

Impossibility of working outside; glues and paint just don't stick. Or set.

General feeling of things just not being right. Especially, everyone (including me) seems to be suffering from ill-defined Lurgi.

And the wetness. Mud everywhere. Footpaths become impassible even in Big Boots. Running, away from paved surfaces, is becoming dangerous.

And, most of all, the feeling that bad weather has been a more or less continuous feature of most of the past year.

Heat and sunshine I can deal with, preferably with the aid of a boat. Always feels cooler on the water.

Feel like emigrating. Is it the Atacama Desert where it hasn't rained for 3000 years?

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
I don't mind cold. As cold.

What I do mind: Unrelenting greyness.

So agree. I actually find cold strangely energizing. It's the weeks and weeks of overcast that can happen around here that gets on me.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be worse. I remember 1962 when we had no heating apart from a very small coal fire and we all trudged up to church in the snow for the Easter vigil and lit the new fire in the bitter cold and the wind blew the candles out. And one of the altar servers fainted with the cold.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could manage the temperature if it wasn't for that damned wind. I'm really not a hat person at all, but now may be the time. Maybe earmuffs or a revival of the peasant-style shawl over the head?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
quote:

Stupid question: How cold does it get in Alaska in the winter? How warm does it get in the summer?
not stupid. We're a very big place, so it depends a lot on where you are. in the southeast of the state it doesn't get much colder than minus 15C or so, but it makes up for it by being very windy and wet. ALL THE TIME. in contrast, a sunny summer day of 27C or so would be really hot.

where I am, hot summer days are around the same, but no wind. in winter we usually float around -7C on average, with cold snaps to -40 once or twice a winter.

the interior (Fairbanks area) occasionally gets as hot as 37C, but in the winter can hit -52C. the north slope (barrow, etc) doesn't get near that hot in the summer, more like 21C max, but can easily get as cold, but with very serious wicked winds to top it off. When I lived on the slope we had a storm with temps around-50C and windchills to -78C. that is not normal, of course. but far from unheard of.

there are other areas - the Aleutians, the Bering Sea area, etc. I don't know them as well. but again, big place. lots of variety.
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Stupid Question 2: What do you wear if you're outside in the winter - what's in the best layering system?

depends on a lot. if there's wind, if there's fresh snow. if it's warmer (relatively) you have to prepare for wet from the snow, whereas if it's colder the snow won't melt into your clothes.

I don't use synthetics very often. if it's quite cold: a base layer of silks, then my indoor clothes (jeans, etc) then wool. then perhaps a down jacket, and if it's really nasty a fur parka. I have about six winter outer layers, depending on conditions. everything from a light windbreaker through a down coat through my full big-guns wolverine parka that I overheat in if it's warmer than -29C.

then there's snowpants, boots, gloves, hats, scarves. many different weights and materials for the conditions.

it becomes a bit of an art.

I'm kind of the imelda marcos of parkas. [Biased]

(and boots, apparently. I just counted. I have 5 pair, plus my winter running shoes)

[ 26. March 2013, 23:11: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Central Florida, latitude 27.5. Temperature predicted to fall to 37 F (3 C) tonight, with a frost advisory. Same for tomorrow night.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Newport, South Wales, lat 51.6, temperature now 36F (00.30 am). Thanks to the weather people are suffering from colds, depression and mildew.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my tenth winter in Newfoundland, and I've got used to white Easters (especially if it falls early in the year). However, for the moment most of our snow has gone, and there's not much in the forecast between now and Sunday.

Spring is a very short season here: it usually happens at about half-past two in the afternoon of the third Tuesday in May (give or take a week), when you suddenly realise that there are leaves on the trees. It's made up for by autumn, which can last well into November.

I think Boogie has a point about dry cold versus damp cold: they get far colder temperatures in Labrador (which is about the same latitude as Scotland) than we do here in St. John's (same latitude as northern France), but I'm told that it's easier to tolerate because it's a dry cold.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over 30 C here: good weather for golf were I not working so much - must go out to the driving range Wednesday to see if I can still hit a ball with any distance! !4.00 start on the job - at the course with my clubs around nine...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...in the southeast of the state it doesn't get much colder than minus 15C or so, but it makes up for it by being very windy and wet. ALL THE TIME. in contrast, a sunny summer day of 27C or so would be really hot...

One season working in the forest near Ketchikan the temperature never got above 17C. Average January 24-hour temperature is 1C, in August it is 18C. Oh, and it averages 3.9m of rain a year: the town rain gauge runs up the side of a two-story building. October averages around 3C with 2cm of rain a day.

But with proper clothes (commercial rubber rain pants, jacket, and boots) we worked outdoors from April until the survey markers got covered by snow in November. You get used to it...

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
Brilliant text from a woman in the Metro last week:

"Does anyone else think it's like living in Narnia, with the White Witch controlling the terrible weather?"

[Big Grin]

Britain's coldest March for 50 years. [Frown] Do not like, do not want. This bitter wind literally slaps your face around.

Hurry up, spring! Save us from the White Witch. [Help]

Aslan must surely soon be on the move. [Yipee]

We were last in England in July of 2007 before school was out: lovely - in the twenties!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oregon at this time of year is bipolar--sunny and 65F one day, rainy and 40F the next. It makes everybody sullen, like a kid who never knows if Mom is going to be too depressed to fix breakfast. But it will be better in May...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
25°C is my absolute limit for comfort, preferably with some cooling movement of air.
Without any experience of real cold, I'd opt more for wool than synthetics, though I agree the latter can be pretty effective (my poly-props are great if I have to be out on an unusually cold day) but as a New Zealander the loyalty to wool is bred in me.

It's curious that while in winter we have the heat pump set to greet us with a cosy 18°c when we come out for breakfast, on a really hot summer day it becomes an air conditioner and 18°C is pleasantly cool.

And in between – the Grandad puts on an extra sweater just as I'm taking one off. He spent his childhood in Egypt. We could be comfortable at opposite ends of the country.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it now 27c, humid and little breeze. I am washing the outside walls to try to get rid of stains caused by wild weather a few weeks ago and the perspiration is dripping from me.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with GG, 25c is about my limit, whereas I remember Zappa saying anything under was too cold for him.

We have had an extended time without rain, so much so that much of the country is in drought, or bordering on it. I've planted silver beet and other veges so I can prepare for the coming increase in price of fresh vegetables.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cold is one thing, the wind another. In years of working outside on farms and building sites (in the UK), I found cold manageable: we were always on piece work pay so to keep warm = working harder and more money.

Wind is some thing - you can't keep warm but have to shrug and bear it. Too many clothes impede work, thick ones make you sweat and that's not much fun when you stop and the sweat chills off. It's not always possible to get inside after you stop work: there's clearing up and stuff to do.

Worst experience that takes some beating? Picking brussels sprouts in open fields with no shelter in a village near Cambridge: freezing rain and an east wind that went through, not round, you. Dark mornings, a day that stretched ahead into oblivion. No work = no pay. Cold feet, chilblains - delicious agony. Whatever happened to chilblains?

That's the template for me for comparisons today. Cold, yes but no comparison to the benchmark of the open field. Why are we so soft these days? I can remember lots of march days like this working outside. An hour's walk in the local park yesterday was great fun!

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:

Worst experience that takes some beating? Picking brussels sprouts in open fields with no shelter in a village near Cambridge: freezing rain and an east wind that went through, not round, you. Dark mornings, a day that stretched ahead into oblivion. No work = no pay. Cold feet, chilblains - delicious agony. Whatever happened to chilblains?

Ooooh, I can agree with that! I never picked sprouts, and Essex has a little more scenery to keep the wind out, but working outdoors in early spring is a major reason for me sticking to working indoors ever since! I remember queuing at tea breaks to warm your boots and dry your gloves over the tractor exhaust.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree that it's The Grey that does it - particularly urban grey. Currently sat looking out over the Kyles of Bute; about 80% cloud cover, but the panoramic cloudscape, the shimmer of the water, the occasional fleeting brightness on a distant snowy mountainside, make it all a lot more tolerable. Still only a couple of degrees C, with windchill though.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
At the risk of excessive catastrophizing and long windedness, the weather situation is pretty much all we talk about here.

We are getting into the mid -20s°C overnight, which is in the -5 to -10°F range every night. Daytime highs range from about -5 to -15°C. Right now close to noon is is -13°C, so maybe +5°F.

We had another major blizzard last week.

In the UK (you'll laugh) if it drops below about -1C the received wisdom is to look up and rub one's hands saying "ooo, it's too cold to snow!"

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:
...in the southeast of the state it doesn't get much colder than minus 15C or so, but it makes up for it by being very windy and wet. ALL THE TIME. in contrast, a sunny summer day of 27C or so would be really hot...

One season working in the forest near Ketchikan the temperature never got above 17C. Average January 24-hour temperature is 1C, in August it is 18C. Oh, and it averages 3.9m of rain a year: the town rain gauge runs up the side of a two-story building. October averages around 3C with 2cm of rain a day.

Ketchikan is one amazingly wet place. my first visit there (it was in June) it was sunny for a week and people were damn near dancing in the streets.

my second visit (December) there was so much ice that certain roads (of the vertical variety, leading down to the waterfront) were blocked off because if you tried to drive down them, chances are you'd end up in the drink and die. there was about 8 inches of ice on those roads. I drove during that trip once. then I refused! I'm a tough winter driving chick, but that shit was scary!

what's telling about Ketchikan (far south of the southeast panhandle, for those who don't know) is that people have rain cisterns that provide all the water necessary for their homes, with plenty left over. this even for apartment buildings. there's enough rain that you just don't need a well.

blech.

the part of southeast I lived in (and am moving back to) is the far north of the region. much less rain. much more snow. they actually have heat.

ish.

sometimes.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

We had another major blizzard last week.

In the UK (you'll laugh) if it drops below about -1C the received wisdom is to look up and rub one's hands saying "ooo, it's too cold to snow!"
The line is somewhere between -35 and 40°C for no snow here, that's because at those temps it tends to be clear and sunny, without wind. It is the clouds that seem to provide the insulation to keep things warmer, i.e., maybe -30. The worst weather is -30 to -35°C, because it will be windy and generally snow. Wind chill can be a killer at those temps, we've had suggested wind chill in the mid -60s, but again, dress properly and you can handle anything. We're -18°C this morning. Out with the dog as usual. Like Comet we dress for conditions and also the level of activity. I wore only a sweat shirt and a wind shell (tops and bottoms) to 'pretend run' with the doggie.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Newport, South Wales, lat 51.6, temperature now 36F (00.30 am). Thanks to the weather people are suffering from colds, depression and mildew.

One of my coldest memories was Newport in the last week of May. It probably wasn't that cold, but the grey and humidity combined with the North American expectation that the last week of May is summer made it feel that much colder. I was the only person on that choir tour to bring a hat and gloves, and I was very glad to have them that afternoon- even wanted my long johns.

On the synthetics, I actually used to ski in army surplus wool pants for several years. Not bad, if you didn't mind the fact that your car smelled like a wet dog on your way home.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
... open fields with no shelter in a village near Cambridge ...

I know this is going to sound a bit daft, but I love Cambridge in the winter, assuming that I'm well wrapped up (after all, there's bugger-all between you and Siberia).

There's something starkly beautiful about the leafless trees along the Backs, and one of life's pleasures is what D. and I call the Cambridge Sprint: Evensong at King's followed by a quick scuttle in the cold to Evensong at St. John's. Preferably followed by dinner in Cafe Rouge.

Heaven. [Smile]

As for heat tolerance, I'm a few degrees below GG and Huia: anything above 20°C puts me out of my comfort zone. As someone pointed out above, you can always put another layer on if you're cold, but if you're too hot, there's a limit to what you can take off.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think there is a meteorological reason for that, i.e. we tend to get snow when warmish moist Atlantic air hits cold Continental air.

When the wind comes from Europe it may be quite a bit colder but it is also much drier, so clearer skies and less likelihood of snow (usually but not this week in Scotand and Ulster).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016