homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Washing feet (and hands?) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Washing feet (and hands?)
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you wash the feet of your congregation/have your feet washed/witness others having their feet washed:
1. Do the priest's hands actually touch the people's feet, or is it just a splash of water and a towel? I've seen both approaches, and far prefer my feet to be splashed and not actually touched.

2. If people are "uncomfortable" with having their feet washed (Justin Welby has said he always was), is it a reasonable option to wash a hand instead? I'd never heard of this before last night. Several people accepted it, and I thought it set a dangerous precedent. In a few years we'll have no feet offered. I also thought the symbolism was all wrong, especially after we'd just heard about Peter wanting Jesus to wash his hands, and Jesus refused.

[edit for punctuation]

[ 29. March 2013, 07:04: Message edited by: Hairy Biker ]

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ayyiah! Washing of the Hands!

No.

Don't do it.

Whose hands get washed during those miserable hours between the Arrest and the Crucifixion?

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To my mind, the choice is binary: do it - have your feet washed, and indeed wash other people's feet (if you're a naturally hyper-fastidious cleric) and quit your shuddering. Or don't. One or the other.

My mind is now heading off in the direction of other random body parts which might be proffered for washing. I do wish it wouldn't, especially on Good Friday.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
To my mind, the choice is binary: do it - have your feet washed, and indeed wash other people's feet (if you're a naturally hyper-fastidious cleric) and quit your shuddering. Or don't. One or the other.

Yup!

Do it properly or don't do it at all. Of course it may feel a bit yukky. That's the whole point! Jesus wasn't washing sweet smelling, perfectly pedicured tootsies. The lowest slave washed the feet because they were the bits most likely to be covered in dust/crap. And I'm betting Peter and the others had a few calluses as well.

When I came to this post, I was told very firmly that "we don't do foot washing here". Fair enough - I've respected that. It's not a big deal for me. I've done it before and seen how powerful it can be as a symbolic action. But if it freaks people out, it is hardly helpful to inflict this on them.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Ayyiah! Washing of the Hands!

No.

Don't do it.

Whose hands get washed during those miserable hours between the Arrest and the Crucifixion?

In the Gospel, only Pilate's.

However, we do wash hands. 4 stations, and washing the hands of the next in line. The person washing says "As you have been served, go forth and serve" with the response "I shall serve". The one whose hands have been washed in turn washes the hands of the next person, and so forth. It means that each person is washed and washed, something unlikely with even a moderately sized congregation if you wash feet.

As an aside, I had a different insight during this year's sermon. When a guest arrived at a house, the host would call for a slave to wash the feet of the guest as part of the welcome; by washing our feet, Christ welcomes us to his own house. We're still working out how this welcome relates to Baptism, but it is a good subject for meditation.

[ 29. March 2013, 10:13: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't agree with this argument but...

the argument for hand washing has to do with the different cultural sensibilities between the 21st century and the 1st century. Those advocating for hand washing say that foot washing makes little sense in our context when most people wear socks and shoes outside and feet are reasonably clean. Hands on the other hand, are usually bare except in the winter when people wear gloves. Given that we are told that we contact germs every time we touch something with our hands, the hands are more "icky" to us, than the feet.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve only witnessed this once (about six years ago at my church – it hasn’t been done since). The two clergy washed the feet of about five or six members of the congregation. I gather some of them had agreed to have their feet washed beforehand and another couple responded to an invitation to go forward.

In answer to the OP: it certainly wasn’t just a splash of water, the feet were washed properly with soap and lots of water and then dried carefully. It seemed to go on for ages and I found the whole thing very difficult to watch. I think about it every year and I still find it hard to work out what I feel about it.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is the ancient Jewish blessing which is said at the Passover which gives credence to the washing of hands (which is what, out of necessity, we do at our Maundy Thursday evening service, for a number of reasons - including the fact that one priest cannot kneel at all) and which has resulted in people washing each others hands as a sign of service, of humility and of community:

Baruch ata Adonoy,
Eloheinu melech ha-olam,
asher kideshanu be-mitzvosav
ve-tzivanu al netilas yadayim.

Blessed are you God, King of the Universe,
who made us holy with His commandments
and commanded us in the washing of the hands.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:

In answer to the OP: it certainly wasn’t just a splash of water, the feet were washed properly with soap and lots of water and then dried carefully. It seemed to go on for ages and I found the whole thing very difficult to watch. I think about it every year and I still find it hard to work out what I feel about it.

I've never seen soap used. It would be preferable to the splash of water, rub it in and then take the same hands to rub the next foot in line, I would have thought. But I can see this would take quite a time for 12 of them.

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

UCCLynn
Apprentice
# 16633

- Posted      Profile for UCCLynn   Email UCCLynn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my 3rd Lent/Holy Week/Easter at my first call. It is an old (for US) Congregational church. Foot-washing has never been done here or at many like it.

Growing up in one of the very conservative Lutheran traditions, footwashing was never done either. Perhaps this was out of "not being Catholic." It wasn't done in the ELCA Lutheran congregation of my adulthood. Nor has it been done in any of the UCC congregations that I have either been a member of or served at during seminary. This makes me think, in the US at least, that historically the practice is one that the RC and perhaps the Episcopalians observed.

More recently, I know of many Methodist churches that are introducing the practice, perhaps though first with handwashing.

Last night, after the John reading, we washed each others hands, with the point being made clear that we are engaging in an act of service to each other, which is the heart (IMHO) of Jesus' direction.

People said it was very moving. I found it touching when one partner who had an affair washed the hand of her partner and when my older son (who regularly beats on his little brother) washed my younger son's hands. As for me, I found it humbling to go around and wash several people's hands, including my pianist and a man in the congo who can be quite difficult. It felt like a shift there.

It may not be what is written in John 13 but handwashing can be powerful and convey the message. At least, that was the experience in my context.

Peace.

Posts: 27 | From: Central Illinois, USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
There is the ancient Jewish blessing which is said at the Passover

Baruch ata Adonoy,
Eloheinu melech ha-olam,
asher kideshanu be-mitzvosav
ve-tzivanu al netilas yadayim.

Blessed are you God, King of the Universe,
who made us holy with His commandments
and commanded us in the washing of the hands.

This is said any time Jewish people eat bread as well. There is a special cup/wee jug for it even in restaurants, street food stalls.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are 2 things that squick me out .
Her with her blimmin' alabaster jar and foot-washing.
I simply do not attend those services - if I did I'd just sit there getting more and more physically and mentally tense. Even if it's only mentioned in the sermon.
Always felt uncomfortable with them even as a child and not in that good way where one can transform one's life/theology after confronting the story and then really seeing The Point.
So I make formal apologies for my absence beforehand.

--------------------

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Jesus kind of answered the hand thing after Peter was all, "Then not only my feet, Lord, but my hands and my head!"

Last night at my place we scrubbie scrubbie scrubbied all the feeties with nice warm water and both hands and made sure they were clean and patted well dry. The priest doesn't do all the washing, we each take turns being washed and then doing the washing. It took us about half an hour to get through everyone who wanted to participate through the process.

Mind you, though, this is the first church I've ever been in where people were literally lining up. Previous churches the pastor would have to all but guilt trip folks into being the one person getting their feet washed. And I never participated until I joined up with this crew.

Another anecdote from yesterday, one of my atheist acquaintances demanded to know if I was going to be doing the foot-washing thing. I said, "Yes". And then she proceeded to go on and on about how it was gross and she would NEVER let someone else touch HER feet and how could I DARE do such a thing that was so HORRIFYINGLY ICKY?

Ten minutes later she went on a social media network and called for people to come with her next week for pedicures. Because letting a Vietnamese woman* scrub at your feet for twenty bucks is apparently totally different than someone who might be your equal.

*In the US, a disproportionate number of nail technicians are Vietnamese immigrants.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
30 years ago an old lady was at a Maundy Thursday service. She was wearing those varicose vein hose and had great trouble putting them on and taking them off. So, I washed her hands. Same with diabetics who are frightened of cutting their feet, and who are often plump and have difficulty donning and doffing their shoes.

It just depends who, what, when and where.

In Melanesia, the norm was to make a drama out of the foot washing, 12 men lined up, one being Peter etc.

I always used real foot washing with soap and towels and a scrub brushes. The feet were always dirty, especially right after a bath-because you're walking in dirt that becomes muddy when you drip. The elders of the village would strip to the waste and really wash people's feet.

That just won't fly in flyover country, especially where it is seen as newfangled and most of the congregation seems to have some difficulty dressing.

I don't see why hand washing should be eschewed. Does the Queen of England give Maundy money in lieu of foot washing? One of the commandments given last night is to love one is covered in hand washing for those who cannot easily remove and replace their footwear.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd argue there's a difference between washing a hand for people who have medical or physical issues, and washing a hand because you're too squicked by the idea of letting someone at or equal to your perceived class status into your physical space to wash your feet.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
I think Jesus kind of answered the hand thing after Peter was all, "Then not only my feet, Lord, but my hands and my head!"

Last night at my place we scrubbie scrubbie scrubbied all the feeties with nice warm water and both hands and made sure they were clean and patted well dry. The priest doesn't do all the washing, we each take turns being washed and then doing the washing. It took us about half an hour to get through everyone who wanted to participate through the process.

Mind you, though, this is the first church I've ever been in where people were literally lining up. Previous churches the pastor would have to all but guilt trip folks into being the one person getting their feet washed. And I never participated until I joined up with this crew.

Another anecdote from yesterday, one of my atheist acquaintances demanded to know if I was going to be doing the foot-washing thing. I said, "Yes". And then she proceeded to go on and on about how it was gross and she would NEVER let someone else touch HER feet and how could I DARE do such a thing that was so HORRIFYINGLY ICKY?

Ten minutes later she went on a social media network and called for people to come with her next week for pedicures. Because letting a Vietnamese woman* scrub at your feet for twenty bucks is apparently totally different than someone who might be your equal.

*In the US, a disproportionate number of nail technicians are Vietnamese immigrants.

Spiffy, may I borrow that story to use in a homily?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a footwashing service once at the LCMS denominational headquarters building. We used a basin, both hands, and a fair amount of--well, not scrubbing, but you get the idea! It was very moving.

Bit freaked out last night by having to do an unexpected variant on footwashing--helping change a diaper while communion was going on. I have no idea why the adult didn't take the wee one away from the dinner table--but it was far too late to do anything but help by the time I realized what was going on. And with the words "This is my body" resounding in my ears!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
one of my atheist acquaintances demanded to know if I was going to be doing the foot-washing thing. I said, "Yes". And then she proceeded to go on and on about how it was gross and she would NEVER let someone else touch HER feet and how could I DARE do such a thing that was so HORRIFYINGLY ICKY?

Ten minutes later she went on a social media network and called for people to come with her next week for pedicures.

I love irony.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I last kept Holy Week at Mirfield, they not only washed feet, they kissed them.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
Spiffy, may I borrow that story to use in a homily?

Go right ahead.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, washing of the hands does make sense in our culture, as it's something we do before having a meal. Not many people - unless perhaps it's the height of a hot, sticky summer, wash their feet before supper.

Washing hands would therefore seem a perfectly apt adaptation.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
To me, washing of the hands does make sense in our culture, as it's something we do before having a meal. Not many people - unless perhaps it's the height of a hot, sticky summer, wash their feet before supper.

Washing hands would therefore seem a perfectly apt adaptation.

Agreed.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wash feet - no other body parts. In outback and tropical Australia feet are often dirty. Yukky. It accentuates the point. I make it clear before the kick-off and in the printed order of service that participation is voluntary. I have a deacon-equivalent (usually kuruman who is a priest but liturgically deacons for this ceremony) wash mine.

My feet are so ticklish even I can't touch them, so when she does it I have to dig my nail so deep into my calf that I want to scream - so I don't giggle.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
squicked

What a fine verb. Present passive. Can it take an active voice?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with washing hands is as I think my father (or it may have been someone here said and Dad repeated it) is that "it exchanges the action of Christ for the action of Pontius Pilate". Even in UK current culture think of the application of the image in "I wash my hands of ..."

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to my first Episcopal Church Maundy service last year expecting only four to six people to go forward for foot-washing, and when nearly the whole congregation lined up I was so moved I joined in! The symbolism of a vestry member washing my newcomer feet etc. is wonderful. Unfortunately I , like Zappa, have extremely ticklish feet, so this year I sat out that bit in prayerful silence.

As others have said, I would never participate in or condone hand-washing. It would make me very uncomfortable to symbolically wash my hands of Jesus. If the good hymns had already been sung, I might even walk out once I'd caught on! Participate or don't, but if you're squeamish you don't get to change things. Although it's funny to think of opposition to transubstantiation along the same lines..."Oh yuck, BLOOD?"

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
I went to my first Episcopal Church Maundy service last year expecting only four to six people to go forward for foot-washing, and when nearly the whole congregation lined up I was so moved I joined in! The symbolism of a vestry member washing my newcomer feet etc. is wonderful. Unfortunately I , like Zappa, have extremely ticklish feet, so this year I sat out that bit in prayerful silence.

As others have said, I would never participate in or condone hand-washing. It would make me very uncomfortable to symbolically wash my hands of Jesus. If the good hymns had already been sung, I might even walk out once I'd caught on! Participate or don't, but if you're squeamish you don't get to change things. Although it's funny to think of opposition to transubstantiation along the same lines..."Oh yuck, BLOOD?"

I am far less squeamish about blood than I am about feet!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where it is a free-for-all and only a few people in a small congregation, come forward to have their feet washed, any who would feel uncomfortable, would not be obliged to come forward, nor would they do so.

In a large congregation things may be more formal and feet-washing restricted to just 12 people (men only or ladies as well) arranged beforehand.

This year, I went forward; the celebrant was female; feet were touched by her and for me, not an issue! I was glad to come forward in this way to make my participation in the Liturgy more complete.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
I might even walk out once I'd caught on!

Not an option where you're the crucifer.

--------------------
Damien Hirst

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
In a large congregation things may be more formal and feet-washing restricted to just 12 people (men only or ladies as well) arranged beforehand.

We have 12 pre-arranged folks (male and female) who seem to represent various age and demographic groups in the parish. Not sure how deliberate this is, but I'm sure attention is paid to make sure it's a balanced and diverse group.
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see hand washing as an acceptable modern equivalent for foot washing, if it wasn't for this coming in Holy Week, when you may have heard, or be about to hear, the account of Pilate washing his hands. It's that the two parts of the story are so close in time that makes some of us react badly to the idea. But some of you appear to have incorporated it successfully, so hats off to you.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

No one is imitating Pilate. I hope the celebrate will both hand sanitise and lavabo after the foot washing anyway. I wash feet and prefer it but people are arguing here that in some situations washing hands may be pastorally the best way to go. Sometimes one does have to wash a whole body--an incontinent Alzheimer's patient for example. Doesn't mean you're obeying Peter instead of Jesus

--------------------

3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In answer to the OP, I hold each offered foot (often just one in our shack) and pour a little (warm) water over it, hand the jug back to the right hand acolyte, take a towel from the left hand acolyte, dab the foot dry, hand back the towel and move on. Everyone who comes forward gets washed, often about 20 people in a congregation of about 35.

I do feel uncomfortable doing it but I think it should be slightly unnerving. In deed I have used that in Maundy Thursday preaching. (Pedicure - classic)

I am uncomfortable with hand washing being the norm on Maundy Thursday because of the scriptural reference. However, I have known it be used as part of the welcome to an agape meal/service. That seemed effective, culturally relevant and so on.

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do offer hand-washing as an alternative. I think we make clear both in preaching and in the invitation to come forward that foot-washing is the norm but that hand-washing is available if for some reason someone cannot/does not wish to have their foot washed. In an ideal world we'd only do feet, but sometimes you have to live with pastoral realities.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
Sometimes one does have to wash a whole body--an incontinent Alzheimer's patient for example. Doesn't mean you're obeying Peter instead of Jesus

Really? As part of your Maundy Thursday liturgy?

--------------------
Damien Hirst

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These things happen. Though hopefully in privacy and away from the main action, though you don't always get that, either (see my example upthread).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do feet, for as many as wish, or hands if the recipients are too squicked out by the idea of having their feet done. It's a full wash with warm water & radox, rinse and dry, and some of our priests will also kiss the washed feet.

In my former parish it was hands: we'd have our hands washed, then wash & dry the hadns of the person next in line.

I found hand washing fairly moving, but feet much more so. In part I think that's about the fact that my feet are that much more private and personal, so there's a level of vulnerability involved in letting someone else handle them. At some level there is also the recognition that I'm a single person who isn't hugely tactile, and having someone else touch me and even kiss me in that kind of context is a combination of being hugely symbolic as well as deeply loving and moving.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder whether the footwashing reluctance is linked to whether people like, in general, to be active or passive in a service. It is noticeable in some churches (my own included) that very few people actually wish to take an active part in any sort of service, preferring to sit quietly in their pews. When volunteers are asked for footwashing, it tends to be the more outgoing, active people who come forward - most would rather stay in their pews as usual.

--------------------

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Foot washing on Maundy Thursday, to me, is a distraction.

The key to the day, scripturally, for me, is the Last Supper and the command to do this in remembrance of me.

I agree that the footwashing that follows the Last Supper is a clear pointer to humility for all, but it seems to have become the central act of Maundy Thursday liturgy in recent years, whereas in my formative years I never heard of it.

Some may say that the feast of Corpus Christi is the way in which the church remembers the Last Supper, but that moves it out of Holy Week and breaks the sequence of Last Supper, washing the feet, going to the garden for the betrayal.

Maundy Thursday liturgy irritates me so much now (arms are always twisted hard to find "volunteers" for their feet to be washed) that I chose not to attend this year. I had another regular Thursday evening commitment that happened to be on March 28, so I went to that instead.

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
squicked

What a fine verb. Present passive. Can it take an active voice?
Yes. It's a noun (squick) and a verb (to squick). is the active version. It's fairly common in the fan community for describing basically something that's so far outside your personal kinks that it physically makes you cringe and suck air between your teeth, but it has little to no judgement in its connotations.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We wash the feet of our visitors who come to stay at our bad weather shelter on our night (Wed) to host. Since most have no access to shower facilities, they do, as you might guess, need a pretty good scrubbing. Afterwards we give them fresh clean socks.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sure there are many people who wouldn't want their feet washed in church due to embarrassing physical problems, e.g., nail fungus, hammertoes, athlete's foot, gout.

The same could be true with hands, e.g., missing fingers, tremor, nail fungus again.

[ 01. April 2013, 04:25: Message edited by: ldjjd ]

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a rather ugly nail fungus on one foot, but not the other, so i keep my sock on the foot with the problem and present just the other foot for washing.

I truly love this observance, for me one of the most meaningful of the year. In an RC church i used to attend, before they ended the at-large participation of the congregation (sadly in my own humble opinion with respect to holders of other opinions), one year in a church we washed each others hands -- which (again my own perspective) seemed just a tiny bit creepy to me for some reason, i'm not really sure why.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aileen
Apprentice
# 3594

- Posted      Profile for Aileen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Washing feet of 12 people in church, to be like Jesus washed all his 12 disciples. And afterwards the ones who was the volunteers feet, dry their feet and then was their own hands and dry them.
Posts: 15 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
...hands if the recipients are too squicked out by the idea of having their feet done.

This is what concerns me. I can see the point of allowing people to participate even though there are medical and practical reasons not to expose their feet in public. But once we concede that, we have to take account of the squeamish and the shy and the can't be bothered to do it properly, and the "well I'd rather not" and before we know it, this lovely ritual of service and humility will be nothing more than a wet handshake.

Best practice I can see from discussion so far would be to limit it to 12 and get people who can get their kit off. If there are not 12 willing volunteers, consider if it's appropriate for that congregation.

--------------------
Damien Hirst

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
Best practice I can see from discussion so far would be to limit it to 12 and get people who can get their kit off. If there are not 12 willing volunteers, consider if it's appropriate for that congregation.

Agreed - 12 is a reasonable number to fit into the time available (we usually sing a hymn or the choir sing an anthem during the foot washing), echoes the 12 disciples, and allows those who really don't agree with it to not take part. However, in some churches, the churchwardens (or whoever) spend an inordinate amount of time each year phoning up many times that number in order to find 12 who are willing. If they have to phone more than 24 different people in order to get the 12, they really should call it a day.

[ 04. April 2013, 17:38: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our place, all are invited to participate, as described in my above post. No one is made to feel uncomfortable if they choose not to do so. (Indeed due to the toe problem on one foot i considered not going forward, until i decided on presenting just one foot.)

Also, i have always been impressed with how quietly efficiently large congregational moving activities (e.g. communion) are handled at our place, so that's not a problem. The ushers' training must be good, i assume.

For me, and of course it is just how i feel, i really love the communal participation of the way it is done in our parish, and for me it is one of the high points of Holy Week.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
canalto2
Apprentice
# 17644

- Posted      Profile for canalto2     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read some English bishops were up for a bit of Maundy shoe-polishing.
Hasn't something been lost here?

Posts: 4 | From: Doncaster | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

I am even more picky about my shoes than I am about my bare feet.
(I have particular brushes and usually use a different colour polish than the shoe to give me a unique shade of leather eg blue on black, red on brown).

--------------------

Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

quote:
Originally posted by canalto2:
I read some English bishops were up for a bit of Maundy shoe-polishing.
Hasn't something been lost here?

Thanks. I hadn't heard about that. Google has:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2013/3/27/Bishops-shine-shoes-for-Maundy-Thursday

--------------------
Damien Hirst

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016