homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you were there with a video camera...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: If you were there with a video camera...
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the liberal Christianity thread in Purgatory, hatless posted
quote:
If you were there on Easter morning with a video camera, what would it record?
Being slightly frivolous, my first thought was 'My thumb!'

My second was 'could there be a game in here somewhere?'

So here's another one... what would the camera record if you were

Standing next to Admiral Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar?

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Standing next to Admiral Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar?

After I moved my thumb out of the way, the camera would record all the pigeons flying around Nelson. They had to get their start somewhere!

What would it record at the fall of the Berlin Wall?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see anything except the backs of people's heads! I'll have to pass the camera to someone taller...

...ah, that's better. Now we can see the graffiti.

How about: Watching Jenny Geddes throwing the stool at the Dean of Edinburgh? I've always wondered if she really managed to throw it all that way...

(for those unfamiliar with Scottish history: Jenny Geddes )

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My camera would record the after-church coffee. I'd really like to hear those conversations.

When Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the church of Wittenberg

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My camera would be waiting for the moment when he hammered his thumb - and what he said to mark the occasion.

The coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be recording the choir-boys passing noted to each other.

Martin Luther King's "I have a dream speech"

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...As the camera records a psychology grad student paging through Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams (while puffing on a cigar, of course).

Meanwhile, the video of Abraham Lincoln delivering the Gettysburg Address...

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have arrived late and would be standing way in the back. My video would include occasional glimpses of tiny unrecognizable bearded men in dark suits, punctuated with closeups of the back of people's heads, especially those wearing wide-brimmed hats. There would be a certain amount of wobbling throughout.

The Assassination of Caesar

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry not to have made it clear that this is the Assasination of JULIUS Caesar.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by roybart:

I'd get a rather blurry shot which might show a figure on a grassy knoll. Or might not.

Meanwhile, the exciting footage of Columbus discovering America...

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...being welcomed by a bunch of Vikings.

How about Carter opening Tutankhamen's tomb?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

[TANGENT ON]

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by roybart:

I'd get a rather blurry shot which might show a figure on a grassy knoll. Or might not.

Ah, yes! And then there is the old "magic dagger" theory....

[/TANGENT OFF. Thank you for your patience.]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

quote:
How about Carter opening Tutankhamen's tomb?
... the video unfortunately records what he said when the hot wax from the candle dripped on his fingers...

Meanwhile, at the Signing of the Magna Carta...

[ 19. June 2013, 22:19: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Signing of the Magna Carta...

King John ticks the box marked, "I have read the terms and conditions", despite having done no such thing.

Exciting footage come to light of The battle of Waterloo...

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Napoleon cursing up a storm while bravely doing battle with an overflowing toilet. (Water...loo.)

Ok, so it probably would've been a chamber pot.

Evel Knievel jumping Snake River Canyon on his motorcycle.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't bear to watch!

Atlantis sinking

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The tidal wave was survivable; it was the earthquake caused by the Annunkai spaceships blasting off that made the island sink. Another mystery cleared up.

Meanwhile, a historic event is taking place in Pudding Lane - the filming of the very first episode of Can't Cook, Won't Cook. They've had to do rather a lot of retakes so they're running late, but shortly after midnight on Sunday 2 September 1666...

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016