homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » St Joseph added to the Liturgy

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: St Joseph added to the Liturgy
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do shipmates think of This ?

I just got the news from Fr. James Martin's page.

Interesting, perhaps St Joseph has moved up the respectability meter.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bl.PopeJohn XXIII put St Joseph in the Roman Canon in 1962. This was carried forward into the revised Missale Romanum following Vatican II. What this decree does is no more than to bring the other Eucharistic prayers used most frequently in the Roman Rite into line with Roman Canon.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realise he was ever not respectable. Most chased spouse eh?

That explains Jesus' brothers...... [Two face]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
Bl.PopeJohn XXIII put St Joseph in the Roman Canon in 1962. This was carried forward into the revised Missale Romanum following Vatican II. What this decree does is no more than to bring the other Eucharistic prayers used most frequently in the Roman Rite into line with Roman Canon.

Also worth pointing out, I think, that this is only of immediate effect in Latin celebrations. As I understand it, approved English text for the insertion will be provided in due course.
Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Interesting, perhaps St Joseph has moved up the respectability meter.

Not really. This (as Trisagion says) is but a making uniform of a previous innovation. Places in the Canon weren't decided on respectability, but on particular Roman connexion or significance or long Roman-of-the-city use (hence the Canon Romanus).

Which does perhaps seem peculiar when the Use has been exported to all corners of the earth, and the cultus of SS Marcellinus, Perpetua & Felicity, Cosmas & Damien & al seems less 'important' than that of the most chaste spouse, whose insertion is really an attempt to 'complete' the invocation of the Holy Family (with OLJC and the BVM) at the beginning, rather than being included on the basis of some sort of 'merit' with the rest of the saints.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Man with a Stick:
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:

Also worth pointing out, I think, that this is only of immediate effect in Latin celebrations. As I understand it, approved English text for the insertion will be provided in due course.
Actually I discovered that the English text is provided at the end of the decree linked to above.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016