homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Islam & Theological Anthropology

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Islam & Theological Anthropology
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the basic ways to crack open Christianity is to suss out the nature of human beings—theological anthropology.

Is this a reasonable first approach to understanding Islam?

What is the Islamic understanding of the nature of human beings?

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crickey. Sounds like you should be asking a professor this question.

Or perhaps you could help us out by providing the Christian example first?

What is a Christian theological anthropology? What does that mean?

Having been raised I Muslim, I might venture a guess if I could understand the question in the first place.

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some Christian theologians might start off with the understanding that humans a creatures of God, who therefore find their life in a relationship with him, and who cease to be when they are separated from Him. From here theologians could discuss sin (estrangement from God) and the incarnation, crucifixion, and resurrection (effecting the reunion of humanity and God). That would be an anthropological starting point for a Christian theology.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

- Posted      Profile for Isaac David   Author's homepage   Email Isaac David   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anthropology strikes me as being a very interesting way of approaching any intellectual movement. I can't answer the question about Islam, but I am aware that Orthodox anthropology appears to differ from Western Christian anthropology, and it seems to me that one could derive benefit from studying Marxist or Libertarian anthropology.

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

Forget philosophy. Read Borges.

Posts: 1280 | From: Middle Exile | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Quinquireme
Shipmate
# 17384

- Posted      Profile for Quinquireme   Email Quinquireme   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The American scholar Bruce Malina has written some excellent books with an anthropological viewpoint about books in the Bible; I'd particularly recommend "The New Testament World: Insights from Cultural Anthropology" for its insights into e.g. the notion of honour and shame, kinship, and purity laws.
Posts: 56 | From: SE London | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Isaac David:
Anthropology strikes me as being a very interesting way of approaching any intellectual movement.

It's been said that anthropology is about studying 'Them'. When the same tools are applied to 'Us', it's called "sociology".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The question of how anthropology differs from sociology is not easy to answer. Some branches of anthropology study human beings as physical creatures (bones, facial features, hair) and some study language. Sociology studies society and often uses statistical methods. I think many topics might be studied by either.

I think a cultural anthropologist studying Christians might look at a parish and its life and how the faith affects that life. A sociologist might do surveys and produce numerical observations about the wealth, family size, age, etc. of the parishioners.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last three posts are discussing anthropology-the-social-science rather than anthropology-the-area-of-philosophy-and-theology, in case anyone is confused. The former is the empirical study of people, traditionally distinguished from sociology based on whether those being studied were of European descent or not, more or less. The latter is the philosophical study of people: what makes a human being a human being? How do human beings relate to God?

The OP asks the latter questions of Islam, and is not about Islamic anthropology as a sub-field of the social sciences. Just so everyone's on the same page.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Bostonman, for we see that's why it's called theological anthropology. I despaired of guiding this thread back on track. You and Zach82 describe the thing I seek.

However, benighted Westerner that he is, Zach82 only touches briefly the right end of the stick, humans as "creatures of God," and then goes careering immediately off into sin and estrangement.

I would rather linger longer on the state of perfection intended for man¹ by nature, the likeness toward which the Fathers have mankind striving. The original image of created man gives him the faculties of knowledge, desire, pleasure, aggressiveness, freedom, memory, imagination, the bodily senses, all oriented toward God. These faculties have been perverted away from God by idolatrous self-love and issue forth in gluttony, lust, anger, acedia, and all the rest.

What I want is how Islam conceives of man's created nature and of man's end. Does Islam walk an arc similar to the Christian one from Gen. 1:26 to 2 Peter 1:3-4? Or does Islam have some other origin and end for man?

Evensong, I'm surprised that at year—what two, three?—of theological studies you haven't encountered this before; it's pretty bog standard stuff.

¹ We haven't sorted out gender non-specific language, yet. This phrase ought to be "the state of perfection intended for human by nature," but this singular fails, leaving us with man.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
¹ We haven't sorted out gender non-specific language, yet. This phrase ought to be "the state of perfection intended for human by nature," but this singular fails, leaving us with man.

Humans, humanity, humankind, people, all people...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
¹ We haven't sorted out gender non-
specific language, yet. This phrase ought to be
"the state of perfection intended for human
by nature," but this singular fails, leaving
us with man.

Humans, humanity, humankind, people, all
people...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the human race

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And originally he was getting to be a Christian, and helping other people, but when he went to visit some Christians they were against him and nasty and so he became a Muslim. So Christians should be positive for Muslims even when they disagree about everything, eg Jesus as God for us all.

[ 09. July 2013, 11:10: Message edited by: daisymay ]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:

What I want is how Islam conceives of man's created nature and of man's end. Does Islam walk an arc similar to the Christian one from Gen. 1:26 to 2 Peter 1:3-4? Or does Islam have some other origin and end for man?

So a Christian theological anthropology is based on the idea of theosis?

As for the Islamic question - an interesting one. You'd have to break out the Koran methinks.

Perhaps a wee wiki page comparing Adam and Eve in the bible and the koran might be a helpful starting point?

From my experience growing up in a mainly mystical Islam, the whole original sin thing was not there. Islam mirrors Judaism in this regard.

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:

Evensong, I'm surprised that at year—what two, three?—of theological studies you haven't encountered this before; it's pretty bog standard stuff.

Obviously we're a bit backward here then. Good thing it is God's gracious will to reveal things to infants rather than the wise and intelligent huh?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
So a Christian theological anthropology is based on the idea of theosis?

Well, it's one way to do it, though not the only way. Zach82 and I seem to be going to the same place, as he puts it: "...sin (estrangement from God) and the incarnation, crucifixion, and resurrection (effecting the reunion of humanity and God)...."
Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

- Posted      Profile for Isaac David   Author's homepage   Email Isaac David   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect most people confronted with the word anthropology will assume cultural anthropology is meant, unless they're Wikipedists, in which case they might be aware of Wikipedia's useful disambiguation page on the subject.

I wonder how many people will think of women's apparel?

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

Here is a link to a Word document entitled A Brief Guide to the Study of Islam: Anthropology and Soteriology, which I found by googling 'islamic philosophical anthropology'. This appears to be more fruitful than 'islamic theological anthropology'. I also came across this blog entry.

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

Sorry to triple-post, but I've discovered the same article mentioned in my previous post as a web page.

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is often said that there is no notion of human beings as imago Dei in Islam. I recall, however, coming across the idea in (I think) Al Ghazali. It does seem to be a minor theme at best.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016