homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Improve A Book Title By Removing The Last Letter (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Improve A Book Title By Removing The Last Letter
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ws reminded of this on "Cabin Pressure", a BBC Radio comedy, and I present this as a Circus game.

The game is simple in concept, but suitable titles take some finding. Remember only the last character of the last word can be removed to transform the title to something different or amusing.

Only one each and don't anyone monopolise the thread with any work that may already have been done in cyberspace as the Hosts will surely kill it PDQ.

To start I give you: The Da Vinci Cod

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tale of Peter Rabbi

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alice in Wonderlan -- a precocious young girl meets a gallery of weird characters on-line as she logs in for the first time.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albert Camus, The Strange

Probably fits Camus better than the original title.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Quinine
Shipmate
# 1668

- Posted      Profile for Quinine   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Log

A psychological drama about an embattled couple, neither of whom wishes to admit it is their turn to go out to the woodshed.

Posts: 252 | From: In a fen | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jane Austen, Mansfield Par.

A shy girl joins up at her relatives' golf club.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Julia Child's classic on the raising of babies, The Way to Coo.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A tale of avian insanity, Far From The Madding Crow.
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proust's mystery novel set in fin de siecle Paris:

In search of lost Tim

[ 07. April 2013, 18:45: Message edited by: Hilda of Whitby ]

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boa - the inspiration for "La Cage Aux Folles."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Gone With the Win" - how a secretary named Scarlet absconded with the office lottery syndicate's jackpot, and the story of her extravagant lifestyle.
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gone With The Win A mediocre football team does not reap the fabulous benefits the players anticipated from a fluke win.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cautionary tale of the last bus to Croydon.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miser by Stephen King

The story of a spendthrift novelist

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Listen to the War

Rod McKuen finds peace and poetry on the battlefield.

--------------------

earrings
Shipmate
# 13306

- Posted      Profile for earrings   Email earrings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cancer War Solzhenitsyn
an account of the research effort into finding a cure for cancer

--------------------
My blog musings on all sorts of stuff https://priscillavicar.wordpress.com/

Posts: 135 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brighton Roc A giant eagle goes to the seaside and wonders whether it's damned.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Return of the Kin

A Middle-Earth family reunion.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ooh ooh!

The Silver Chai

Narnian tea time!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Invisible Ma

Ralph Ellison loses his mother but makes a name for himself.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Honest to Go

Anglican Bishop realises he is an atheist and seeks media career instead.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crime and Punishmen
Of course, women are perfectly innocent [Razz]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cold Comfort Far - a novel of Antarctic exploration.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why be happy when you could be Norma? , Jeanette Winterson: a sympathetic portrait of the ups and downs of marriage to John Major
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's brilliant!

My own 'umble offring is from Jules Verne: The First Men in the Moo - intrepid explorers decide to examine bovine digestive systems from the inside.

[ 07. April 2013, 22:41: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emm - biography of a doughty Cockney char.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Thin Ma -- the mystery surrounding the death of a woman suffering from anorexia is solved by her children.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

From my textbook shelf—French for Readin.

Français pour des ploucs (French for Rednecks) indeed.

--------------------

Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Full Moo - in which the Earl of Emsworth rears the fattest cow in the county.
Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Brief History of Tim

The successor to Mr Tompkins in Paperback?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Accidental Her

Dustin Hoffman rescues survivors of a plane crash, but due to an unusual mix-up at the hospital, wakes up having undergone a sex-change operation. After struggling with gender identity for the bulk of the movie, he falls in love with Andy Garcia and decides to live life as a woman.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Animal Far: a guide to long-distance wildlife photography by George Orwell

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Sh

Rider Haggard's plea for quiet.

(aside to Comet: Silver Chai is inspired.)

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Man for All Season: a story about a man who refuses to endorse the King's plan to have a different wife each month, insisting that each marriage last for a full 3-month season.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Naked and the DEA Norman Mailer's novel about strippers in the Drug Enforcement Administration.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Pear: A [very] short story by John Steinbeck about greed triggered by the discovery of a perfect pear.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

my kids and I are having fun with this. Their contributions:

A Wrinkle in Tim
Tim considers botox treatments

followed by:
A Swiftly Tilting Plane
the moments before the crash...

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

The Murder Roo - A kangaroo and his sidekick investigate a murder.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

almost forgot:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fir

Harry competes for a wooden cup

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

There's always Graham Greene's classic tale of polygamy in a lesbian family: The Third Ma

[ 08. April 2013, 02:44: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
of mice and me -- a tail of my kitchen lately.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

Of Mice and Me: a drama about a man who has devoted himself to protecting his simple-minded gentle-giant friend, but who finds the greatest challenge comes from his own alter ego.

[oops - cross-posted (sorry Lamb Chopped [Hot and Hormonal] )]

[ 08. April 2013, 03:09: Message edited by: W Hyatt ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inspired by some above:

Glimpses of the Moo - Edmund Crispin hunts an elusive cow.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Carlos Fuentes, A Change of Ski—an old gringo gets into an accident and breaks one of his father's cherished wooden skis, then goes on an epic quest to find a replacement.

Looking at my copy of Borges' Collected Fictions (hi Kelly!)...
The Library of Babe—pig writes a lot of books. A lot of books. Somehow less surreal than the original.
Three Versons of Juda—why don't you try 2 Kings for that?
A Dialog Between Dead Me—very short indeed, even for somebody else's dream.
Borges and —And what, exactly? Are we supposed to draw something from this incomplete sentence? Is this a commentary on the sudden end to life? Are we going to find the answer five stories later in an oblique reference we hardly even notice? And what exactly is the deal with the blind tigers stuck in an infinite labyrinth built in Shakespeare section of the library? Is it something to do with the Minotaur/Argentine national heroes/your great-grandfather/Ramon Llull?
The Elderly Lad—immaturity is forever. Let's party!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great Expectation from the abridged Dickens

Birdson Avian coming of age tale

The Shadow of the Win The dark side of fortune

Life of P The autobiography of the 16th letter

Dun The epic tale of a hill fort

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The Wizard of O

Nothing like Histoire d'O by Pauline Réage. Had it been, the 'Friends of Dorothy' would have been something completely different.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Imitation of Chris

How the example of Mr Huhne led to an epidemic of spouses taking penalty points for each other until....

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
@stevhep on Twitter

StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

The Bhagavad Git

Story of a bad tempered Indian holy man.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
@stevhep on Twitter

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Keay's love affair with an evil character from The Eagle comic:

Mad about the Mekon

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joseph Heller's novel about the craziness of war: Catch 2.

James Joyce: Portrait of the Artist as a Young Ma: A woman with many, many, many children (she's Irish, after all!) tries to find time to write novels, paint pictures, and dance.

J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy about a very small creature and how he spends his leisure time: "The Hobbi".

Stephen King's apocalyptic vision of the end times of one man: "The Stan".

Stephen King's story about a spooky hotel in the middle of nowhere, an alcoholic dad with a very bad temper, psychic horror and destruction written with a bad Southern accent: "The Shinin".

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016