homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pioneer Connexion

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pioneer Connexion
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The minister of the Methodist Church to which I belong has suggested partnership with a group by the name of Pioneer Connexion. He is very keen on the idea, showing their promotional video at the Church anniversary and inviting a representative down for a meeting (at a time when many people couldn't attend as it was during the working day).

This may, or may not, be a good thing for the Church which is suffering from increasingly low numbers but my concern is that the only information I can find about the group online is information that originates with them.

I tend to be quite a cynical person and would like to have the information to make an informed decision when this comes before the Church council, so does anyone have any experience of this group or other information they could share

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is Pioneers own website. This is the Charismatic Group founded by Gerald Coates. I was in a connected church many, many moons ago. As I can't find it on their site the group either has closed or gone off in a different direction.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a poke around and found this at the bottom of their case studies:

quote:
We are also part-funded and supported by a national Methodist initiative called VentureFX. You can find out lots more about Simply... and it's emerging story at www.luvsw.net
VentureFX is the Methodist take on Fresh Expressions which is part of the Pioneering Mission movement involving CMS and others.

I would say that it is legit (I would do as I'm starting the CMS course I September)but the approach would turn your church on its head. Expect lots of buzz words such as 'missional' maybe 'pioneering ministry' or 'Emergent*' and a dose of postmodern engagement and 'paradigm shifts'.

I can't say if it would be right for you but it would be a different way of doing church.

*ha! just spotted 'emerging story' in the quote!

[ 24. July 2013, 16:33: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
I had a poke around and found this at the bottom of their case studies:

quote:
We are also part-funded and supported by a national Methodist initiative called VentureFX. You can find out lots more about Simply... and it's emerging story at www.luvsw.net
VentureFX is the Methodist take on Fresh Expressions which is part of the Pioneering Mission movement involving CMS and others.

I would say that it is legit (I would do as I'm starting the CMS course I September)but the approach would turn your church on its head. Expect lots of buzz words such as 'missional' maybe 'pioneering ministry' or 'Emergent*' and a dose of postmodern engagement and 'paradigm shifts'.

I can't say if it would be right for you but it would be a different way of doing church.

*ha! just spotted 'emerging story' in the quote!

Although VentureFX is a legitimate website, according to google, I cannot establish a connection using your link.

PeteC

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Works fine from here.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you everyone for the links. I'm spending some time going through them but it is a relief to find there is more information about them to consider

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please ask if you have any questions.

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kitten,

In which context is the minister suggesting to link? There seems to be the Southampton circuit model which looks either like a Pioneer takeover (from the video) or a shared building set up with ecumenical mission projects (from wordy bits that mentioned Methodist congregation still meeting in a smaller sanctuary area in the huge 1931 building.

This is not a pairing that I am aware of happening elsewhere nor do they suggest that, does it reflect local ecumenical context and relationships rather than a particular model. I wonder how its worked out on a technical level - are the churches LEPs with Pioneer??

Or on the other hand the 'Simply' hub scheme across the south west seems to be about getting these groups of 12, (didn't they used to be cells?) with smaller accountability groups of 4, and one to one (peer???) mentoring. I am not sure how a formal church congregation would partner such an Emerging, Organic, New Monasticism. (Anyone hit jargon bingo yet?)

It is Simply that is formally linked to Venture FX who are trying to explore the more radical side of fresh expressions.

So what is the proposal likely to come to church council??

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Bingo!

One of the troubles/ good things (depending how you look at it) with these pioneering projects that no two should be alike. They respond to the needs of the community and opportunities available.

It would be right to ask about exactly what is proposed or how is the church going to explore what is best for you (pl). If you are going to be missional in our culture then it is probably wrong to go with a preconceived programme. Part of the process is listening and being responsive, maybe trying a few experiments before finding an expression of church that takes off. Of course that means the host congregation may have to surrender its identity in the process.

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
Kitten,

In which context is the minister suggesting to link? There seems to be the Southampton circuit model which looks either like a Pioneer takeover (from the video) or a shared building set up with ecumenical mission projects (from wordy bits that mentioned Methodist congregation still meeting in a smaller sanctuary area in the huge 1931 building.

This is not a pairing that I am aware of happening elsewhere nor do they suggest that, does it reflect local ecumenical context and relationships rather than a particular model. I wonder how its worked out on a technical level - are the churches LEPs with Pioneer??

Or on the other hand the 'Simply' hub scheme across the south west seems to be about getting these groups of 12, (didn't they used to be cells?) with smaller accountability groups of 4, and one to one (peer???) mentoring. I am not sure how a formal church congregation would partner such an Emerging, Organic, New Monasticism. (Anyone hit jargon bingo yet?)

It is Simply that is formally linked to Venture FX who are trying to explore the more radical side of fresh expressions.

So what is the proposal likely to come to church council??

From what I can gather its the Southampton Circuit Model.

I was not able to question the representative when he came as I was at work and as the Minister is superintending a large circuit with a ministerial shortage it, getting hold of him to discuss is not easy

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
From what I can gather its the Southampton Circuit Model.

I was not able to question the representative when he came as I was at work and as the Minister is superintending a large circuit with a ministerial shortage it, getting hold of him to discuss is not easy

For something like this there should be a clear proposal, what it would look like, responsibilities, nature of relationships, exit clause as precaution etc circulated well ahead.

I assume that church council will be in the Autumn, but as the minister has given a presentation to the church and had the meeting I think you are well within your membership rights (and if church council rep then x2 as need to collect others' views too)to insist that he gives you some clear information. He must have something from this day time meeting, and regardless of being the superintendent if asking church to do some thing radically different he needs to give you all the information and his reasoning.

I notice you keep your location to yourself, but without revealing more than you want to can I ask if this is in the south - in influence range of the Southampton experience (and can people visit it to see what they think?) Or are you in a completely different part of the country?

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

We are about three hours from Southampton. I have begun sounding out some people as to the possibility of visiting Southampton over the weekend.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

Sounds a useful plan Kitten.

Any progress getting something from the minister?

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

Not been able to get hold of him yet but he will be at Church on Sunday taking communion so will try to pin him down then

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016