homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pata and Rug in Great Britain

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pata and Rug in Great Britain
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As noted on a previous Obliviated thread, we are traveling to St Albans this summer. The choir Pata sings with is doing evensong at the cathedral the week of July 22 so we will be tied to/near St Albans for that week but thought to spend up to a week elsewhere. Not sure were elsewhere will be yet but thoughts were around London or Scotland. If memory serves, their several thoughts on meets. We are still up for those but are wandering what else should we do. So far we have come up with visit the National Observatory and stand in both hemispheres. So is anything happening the week before July 21st.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I so wish you could find room for me in your suitcase. [Snigger]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've got a pretty good sized suit case if you want to make a go of it. [Biased]

We now have passports and only have to get the airline tickets.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me, too! Me, too!

Barring that,hug a few shipmates for me.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are several of us Shippies in the Glasgow and Edinburgh area, if you want to travel up for a meet.

I don't know of anything particularly special happening in the Glasgow and Edinburgh areas. We do have plenty of hills, lochs, waterfalls, museums, castles and assorted old stuff. There's bound to be something you'd find interesting.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver's Apprentice:
There are several of us Shippies in the Glasgow and Edinburgh area, if you want to travel up for a meet.

I don't know of anything particularly special happening in the Glasgow and Edinburgh areas. We do have plenty of hills, lochs, waterfalls, museums, castles and assorted old stuff. There's bound to be something you'd find interesting.

You know us (Americans), if it's over 200 years old it's ANCIENT! [Big Grin]

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of the ever-rolling stream of festivals in Edinburgh, 2nd half of July is Jazz and Blues.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I am not against Jazz and Blues so if I happen into the festival no problem. However, I don't think Janine would forgive me for going to Scotland to go to a Jazz and Blues festival yet not heading over to the much closer New Orleans where everyday is a Jazz and Blues fest.

I think I like the Idea of either Glasgow or Edinburgh.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's possible to avoid the Festivals (don't buy the tickets/don't go the venues) - but not The Fringe. That boils over on to the streets - well, mainly the Mile. If your hobby is collecting flyers, while edging past escapologists/mime artists/jugglers/
/bagpipers/people in ill-fitting theatrical costume, it's a dream come true. (If you're just trying to get to work, less so).

However, that doesn't start until August.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Travel wise there is Britrail Pass that will allow you quite a bit of travel by train.

Actually if they do a 4 days in 8 day travel it will give you a fair bit of travel and time to actually see some places.

I am going to start you on London, there is another cheat here to save using the ticket for what is quite a low fare and a short journey

Day 1: London -> York
Day 2: York (seriously a day in York will not feel like enough)
Day 3: York -> Durham -> Edinburgh (start early, however good York is, you want some time in Durham and you also want time to enjoy the journey north from there!)
Day 4: Edinburgh (you can decide when to switch to Glasgow but by a single ticket)
Day 5: Glasgow
Day 6: Glasgow -> Oxford (a long travel but a direct route)
Day 7: Oxford
Day 8 : Oxford -> London

My caution is putting in both York and Durham, in some much of the same. York simply the more so, but you would find more than enough in York to entertain you, then go up to Durham and get the WOW of the entry there and be torn between stopping or making it to Edinburgh.

I considered splitting the day going up to York but could not think of the ideal spot. If you have not been to Cambridge then that would be possible.

Equally if you have done Oxford then you could stop at Manchester, Birmingham, Windermere (but be warned these will all take longer to get to London. I think Windermere is actually time wise the longest as it is the only one that isn't direct).

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Travel agent Jengie speaks lots of sense.,l
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad she didn't put in Stratford-on-Avon as I think it is SERIOUSLY over-rated. If you want to see Shakespeare go to the Globe in London(but make sure it's the right production, not all are "Elizabethan").

I notice that no-one ever suggests East Anglia ... Norwich and Bury St. Edmunds have a lot to commend them, neither are "touristy", and both are very easy to reach by train from Cambridge or Ely.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Norwich and Ely are lovely, but they're also in a part of the UK that sticks out sideways into the North Sea and isn't on the way to anywhere else. If Pata le Bon and Rugasaw want to go up to Scotland and also take in a few bits of England (outside London) on the way, it's not going to be possible to fit in Norwich. Not unless the connections to Peterborough have improved dramatically since the last time I went there, anyway.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I'm glad she didn't put in Stratford-on-Avon as I think it is SERIOUSLY over-rated.

I'm guessing that you've only done a couple of day trips there, probably during a fairly crowded time of day.

I'm a regular and fairly frequent visitor to Stratford and enjoy it for its historic associations but also its quirky charm. Some of that has nothing at all to do with Shakespeare and is enjoyable in its own right.

The people are friendly, the Saturday farmers' market and the Sunday crafts market are both very good and interesting. Also lots of winding courtyards with small, interesting shops. There's no shortage of good places to eat (some seriously good cakes and excellent coffee too), and if you get a pass for the Shakespearian properties, I happen to think they are worth visiting (go first thing, though, before the crowds build up). The gardens can be very pretty, and a boat trip down the river is a nice way to unwind. Lots of waterfowl around from the wildlife reserve so your boat trip is likely to be accompanied by a bit of a flotilla of swans, geese and ducks. You can go up the RSC tower and get a view over the whole town and out to the countryside - and of course if theatre is your thing you can get yourself a ticket to see a play.

There are often events and festivals of one kind or another - most recently Shakespeare's Birthday in April, colourful, noisy, exuberant and fun. when the whole town turns into a kind of party.

YMMV. Stratford is small, but for me it's been full of unexpected discoveries and enjoyable simple pleasures, which is why I keep going back.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come to Cambridgeshire! Lots of Shippies and pubs; I can give you a tour of those Colleges of which I am a member, and take you to Ely by automobile (unless you're allergic to dogs). It's not a million miles from St Albans either.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I think our plan is to fly into London for a couple of days then fly* to Edinburgh stay in that area** for a couple of days then take the train in time to arrive at St Albans on the 21st until the 28th and fly back to Houston. We may take Jengie's travel plans on the way to St. Albans.

*The fly to Edinburgh is more to save on time.
**We are from Texas so the Edinburgh area may extend farther.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The train is pretty speedy, especially when you factor in getting to & from airports, having to arrive early etc.

And if you take the East Coast mainline you get stunning views of the Northumbrian coast.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're going from the middle of London to the middle of Edinburgh, going by train probably is faster. London King's Cross to Edinburgh Waverley takes about four and a half to five hours, IIRC (KX to York is only 2 hours). It doesn't look cheaper, but by the time you've paid for transport to and from airports as well as the air fare it probably works out at about the same.

I know you're used to hopping on planes in the States, but everything is much closer together here. Using the high-speed rail lines (East Coast and West Coast) to get to or from London is normally faster than going by air.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going by train is also much more civilised - no 'security' to try and get through, you just rock up and get on the train.

And, as Yangtze wrote,you get to see that fabulous north east coast!

If you can, it's worth going first class - if you book in advance, you can get really good deals and it includes food and drink all brought to your seat for you.

I have to make that journey two or three times a year and I love it.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Cat Lady
Shipmate
# 17616

- Posted      Profile for Crazy Cat Lady   Email Crazy Cat Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yer right - no one ever comes to East Anglia, perhaps why we are known for being 20yrs behind the rest of the country.

I saw some peeps planning a 70s themed church social - they were all going to bring quiches. In my church, you get quiches all the time, they never stopped making them!!

I cant stand quiche!

--------------------
'They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me!"

Nathaniel Lee

Posts: 52 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Alright flight plans are now firm. We will be arriving in Gloucester on Tuesday July 16th. Then we shall meander slowly to St. Albans by Saturday July 20th and leaving St. Albans back to the states on Saturday July 27th.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Plans. I am so known for making solid never changing plans (not). We do have the dates of when and where we will be.

July 16-July 20 we will be in Glasgow. July 20-July 27 we will be in St. Albans. If any of the Scotland or St Albans/London people would like to meet up please let me know the when and where. Just remember that we have never been to the UK and we come from an area where public transportation is a joke so traveling anywhere is likely to be a new experience for us. But part of the fun of traveling is experiencing new things.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be up for a London shipmeet, depending on dates of course.

M.

Edited to add: trains run between St Albans and London St Pancras every 10 mins or so and take about half an hour.

[ 30. June 2013, 15:43: Message edited by: M. ]

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
London meet might be a possble for me too, depending on times etc etc.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Pata will be singing with the choir for Evensong at St Albans Cathedral. I, however, am not. So Monday through Friday is good for me.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you think about Amos's idea mentioned earlier of going to Cambridge ? Would you like to do that for the trip we discussed on 23rd of July ? It's not too far to drive from St Albans so we could have time for a good look round.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Cambridge sounds like fun. Lets go for it.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cambridge shipmeet on the 23rd? Perhaps at The Orchard in Grantchester, or at The Maypole, which is roughly between Jesus and the river?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
...which is roughly between Jesus and the river?

That fellow certainly gets around!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
...which is roughly between Jesus and the river?

That fellow certainly gets around!
And that's why we're all here!

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scottish shipmates can often be persuaded out, and Glasgow's as good a place as any, unless you want to turn a visit elsewhere (Edinburgh? Stirling? - lots of places are easy to get to by train from Glasgow) into a shipmeet.
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rug and I have finally made it to St Albans.

We were almost defeated by the rail system as they were doing engineering work in Birmingham. Luckily, Rug asked why the train to Birmingham was delayed, and they realized that we were not going to make it to St Albans with the routes we were given. We were then rerouted and made it actually an hour earlier than planned.

Yea!

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologise for Birmingham. There are constant delays here at the moment, what with one thing and another.

Have a good time for the rest of your stay!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you want to do a Greenwich meet - during the day next week?

That's where the Royal Observatory is, but there are other delights there - the Cutty Sark, boat trips down the Thames, the Painted Hall and Chapel that are now part of the University of Greenwich buildings but were part of the Royal Naval College and the Palace of Greenwich. And there's always the foot tunnel.

St Albans trains come into St Pancras - not sure how many people would be around for a pub meet at lunchtime in Greenwich during the week though.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I was considering going to Greenwich tomorrow(Monday). The mornings are kind of booked up the rest of the week but I could easily sneak off especially during the afternoon on Wednesday or Thursday.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday I have a training day, all day - none of us are impressed

But you don't need a guide if you don't want one.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Would you or anybody else be up for a Thursday meet up around St Pancras or somewhere?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I could be. I have tickets to something in the evening, but I suspect you'll need to go and sing about then.

Within close distance are the: British Museum, Wallace Collection, Sir John Soane Museum, plus Regents Canal, Camden Market and Regents Park.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Thursdays are difficult for me. What sort of time?

M.

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I can free up Wednesday if that is a better day. As far as time goes I am not the one singing so I can get free by 3pm and willing to travel a little. Pata can be free after evensong on Tuesday or Thursday but she might rather stay around St Albans.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Sorry, I am off work sick at the moment with some rather unpleasant lurgy and so will have to excuse myself from anything this week, whether Wednesday or Thursday.

M.

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Met with Moonlitdoor, Amos, and Curiosity Killed at Cambridge today. Moonlitdoor was nice enough to drive me to Cambridge where we walked around looking for the Maypole. Curiosity Killed was already there sipping on a something(lime and sparkling water?). Amos arrived at the same time as we did and then arranged lunch which was very good. After lunch we headed to Trinity college where Amos did a marvelous job giving us a bit of a tour. The Wren library, the Chapel, and the Newton sound hall were some of the highlights.

After the tour Amos had to leave so we wandered through Cambridge seeing this and that. When we ended up taking a tour on the river Cam via punt boat. After which we wandered around some more. To finish up we had a restorative back at the Maypole and off we went. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed the shipmates as much if not more than Cambridge. And I really enjoyed Cambridge.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

I'm so glad! It was a pleasure to meet you (singular and plural), and the mini-Shipmeet was the highlight of my day. It was very annoying to have to leave early. But I got the parish mag editorial in!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Thank you for the tour Amos, and the lunch - and thank you for the company Rugasaw and moonlitdoor. Cambridge was lovely.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry I couldn't make it, the combination of work and commuting can be a right bugger.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016