homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Thread for those left behind by technology

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Thread for those left behind by technology
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post 
Could I start a new thread in which people can admit to ignorance about technological things without being laughed at and post very basic questions and get simple answers?

To kick off, I have no idea what a smartphone. I have a Nokia 610 (?) phone from which I can access the internet, send and receive emails, as well as make voice calls and send and receive texts. Does this make ut a smartphone or am I missing out on something which a smartphone would give me?

Any (simple) answers would be welcome.

Than you.

Posts: 331 | From: Lost and confused | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like a smartphone to me!

Not that I have one myself.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:

Well, that's simple Miffy, thank you.

[coding]

[ 14. August 2013, 16:19: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posts: 331 | From: Lost and confused | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a phone that makes and receives telephone calls. It also sends and receives text messages, but I don't see the value in that feature (all I get are messages about poker sites and stuff, it's almost as bad as email for spam).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:

It's not. Alan's phone - calls and texts - is a phone. (Yeah, I know). Wouldlovetobelong has a feature phone - the basics, plus Internet and email. A smartphone is one that has an operating system - android, windows, apple - and lots of extra features / apps. Feature phones are usually cheaper than smartphones, but not as cheap as a phone!

Tubbs

[ 14. August 2013, 16:11: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would love to belong,

There is this thread in Heaven. Never noticed anyone laughing at another for their lack of knowledge.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As lilBuddha says there is a thread in Heaven with just this purpose, I suggest you go and ask over there and I'll close this thread off.

I just have a phone with a bit more but it does run to two SIMs and one UIM [SIM equivalent for CDMA networks]. I don't go for the fancy stuff as I wouldn't understand it.

WW
AS Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016