homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Archdeacons in training

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Archdeacons in training
BigYin
Apprentice
# 17742

- Posted      Profile for BigYin   Email BigYin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all

A quick question if I may - probably for those have been ordained a little while now...

Here at this seminary (which shall remain nameless) a similarly anonymous ordinand has been shouting his/her mouth off about becoming an archdeacon rapidlly after being ordained. I have been studiously avoiding her/him, not least because I don't see him/her around and about much, but also because I was of the opinion that she/he is a fool.

I have been pondering though - is this how archdeacons start? Are they the fools that are ignored whilst in training? Do they get preferment by asking time and time again? Are we likely to see him/her in an archdeacon's grab soon, or is it more likely that they'll spend many years of ministry wishing they were doing something else?

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that the nameless seminary that's in the 'From' field in your profile? (and therefore at the bottom of all of your posts) [Biased]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Archdeacons start at Cuddesdon. (Or Ridley, if they are that way inclined)

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Archdeacon, or train-wreck. The trick is to make sure the person concerned never becomes your Archdeacon...

Vaguely related. For pure entertainment I once got myself interviewed for a parish vacated when the previous incumbent was made an Archdeacon. It was very interesting indeed. I don't want to be accused of hijacking this thread, so if you want to know what I unearthed you'll have to ask me nicely.....

O (34 years before the mast!)

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only priest I've heard talking about it said that the position in the church he really, really didn't want was Archdeacon. You've guessed the rest...

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that the Archdeacon gets a lot of the work, and some of the hassle, of being a bishop, but without the kudos, extra salary, palace and posh hat. Then again, maybe some people who want to be Archdeacons see it as a stopping-off point on the episcopal escalator ... [Big Grin]

Our dean reckons he's got the best job in the Diocese - he gets to worship in its most beautiful church every Sunday (and hear the best music [Biased] ) and he can do without the hassle of being the bishop.

Which suits us just fine. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep forgetting to reply to this....

Archdeacons are nowadays interviewed for the job in the CofE, so they've got to prove they can do it! They need a good grasp of legal matters, good pastoral skills, and understanding that sometimes they'll have to be the bad cop.

They've normally spent a fair bit of time as a parish priest, including being a Rural Dean. They really need to know the ins and outs of parish ministry before they can 'police' it and assist those in the middle of crises.

My guess is that Aspiring Archdeacon wouldn't be 'fasttracked' unless he or she had a legal background.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are just under 130 archdeacons in the C of E (some of whom are Bishops who are also archdeacons) and approximately 8,000 full time equivalent stipendiary clergy, as well as a large number of self-supporting/non-stipendiary clergy. Just over 1.5% of clergy will be archdeacons. I think the chances are reasonably slim unless the person in question shows aptitude for the role at least as great as their enthusiasm for it.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the seminarian in question actually has the necessary skills and traits, more power to him/her. Why discourage him? If a seminarian wants to be the Archdeacon of Derry, rector of the poshest parish in Peckham, or the auxiliary Bishop of Des Moines, and it seems that they might actually have what it takes, why shouldn't they should say so and save us all the time it would take to listen to a line of false modesty?

The trick is not to get our good seminarians to believe that they aren't good candidates. It's the seminarians who think they are destined to big things, but are depraved, inept tossers that we really have to look out for.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
good pastoral skills

[Killing me]

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I do reckon they need them! Whether they posess them is a different matter... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BigYin:
Here at this seminary (which shall remain nameless) a similarly anonymous ordinand has been shouting his/her mouth off about becoming an archdeacon rapidlly after being ordained. I have been studiously avoiding her/him, not least because I don't see him/her around and about much, but also because I was of the opinion that she/he is a fool.

There could also be an unexpressed element of, "Help! I'm starting to think I've made a horrible mistake wanting to be ordained, the thought of a lifetime of parish ministry fills me with screaming horror, and I'll do anything to get out of it as soon as I possibly can."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my diocese, if you stay still long enough, you become an archdeacon. At a meeting recently the former dean quietly drawled "well, as the only one in the room who isn't an archdeacon ..."

But though I have remonstrated with the boss he says it's to do with the vast distances, kudos with the patrons, and the vast complexities of indigenous ministry

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016