homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Girl Guides and God - i smell a rat (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Girl Guides and God - i smell a rat
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So as soon as I found out about this anti-God guides promise, I knew the radical left were behind it and hey-ho, I was right.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2233329/Pro-abortion-campaigner-new-head-Girl-Guides-Which-describes-ultimate-femin ist-organisation.html

So in November the organization was taken over by a pro abortion, pro condoms, pro depraved sex leftist feminist called Julie Bentley intent on making it into "the ultimate feminist organization".

Well, if those are your views, of course you're going to want the All-Holy God out of your life. So sHe becomes a little embarrassing when he condemns sexual incontinency and the slaying of the innocent.

Surprise, surprise.

Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course everything the Daily Mail says is correct and unbiased.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't even trust the Mail for the cricket scores.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the Guide Association could hire Indifferently to run their next publicity campaign? I'm sure lots of teenage girls would want to join if they knew it was all about depraved sex instead of learning how to pitch a tent and tie reef knots!

They're not called Girl Guides anymore, btw. Just Guides.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How is this a Dead Horse subject?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably so that those who are so inclined can foam about the mouth about teh evul lezzers.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I wouldn't even trust the Mail for the cricket scores.

I'm on record as saying that if it published that grass was green I'd stick me head out of the window to make sure.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
So as soon as I found out about this anti-God guides promise, I knew the radical left were behind it and hey-ho, I was right.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2233329/Pro-abortion-campaigner-new-head-Girl-Guides-Which-describes-ultimate-femin ist-organisation.html

So in November the organization was taken over by a pro abortion, pro condoms, pro depraved sex leftist feminist called Julie Bentley intent on making it into "the ultimate feminist organization".

Well, if those are your views, of course you're going to want the All-Holy God out of your life. So sHe becomes a little embarrassing when he condemns sexual incontinency and the slaying of the innocent.

Surprise, surprise.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant, Indifferently. I mean it. Now remove the mask (or sock) and tell us who you really are so that we can applaud your genius for parody.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An article by the brilliant Peter Hitchens on this very subject appeared just a few days ago:
http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2013/06/the-sinister-reason-theyre-robbing-the-guides-of-god.html

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting
This thread topic isn't a Dead Horse and the OP appears to be a rant which belongs in Hell. I'm moving this to Hell.

thanks,
Louise
hosting off

[ 27. June 2013, 11:46: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indifferently, go choke on a dick. You never know, you might enjoy it and stop with the Po-Faced Miserable Fucker (thanks Karl) act.

Signed, a pro-choice bisexual marxist-feminist.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
An article by the brilliant Peter Hitchens on this very subject appeared just a few days ago:
http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2013/06/the-sinister-reason-theyre-robbing-the-guides-of-god.html

Really? Hitchens yearns for disgruntled Guides to quit and form a 'pro-Christian breakaway'. Is he not aware that there are already hundreds of 'pro-Christian' youth organisations up and down the UK, for example the Girls' and Boys' Brigades, the Navigators and all the groups linked with various churches. As for 'pro-British', I'm not sure what he means by that or how he thinks the Guides are not pro-British any more. Can anyone remove my ignorance?

Also, his basic premise is just ludicrous. Girls who are Christians are presumably still welcome to join the Guides, despite this change to the Guide Promise. To talk about the Guides being taken over by 'radical revolutionaries'... [Killing me] It's more pathetically overblown 'Oh no, Christians are being persecuted!' nonsense. IMO of course.... [Smile]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Indifferently, go choke on a dick. You never know, you might enjoy it and stop with the Po-Faced Miserable Fucker (thanks Karl) act.

Ah yet more hateful bigotry from the Marxist left, what a surprise. As for baby killing, I have to confess to not being a fan myself (this post was originally in Dead Horses for that reason). But nice to know that the Guides will now be taught how to have underage, risky sex and then kill their babies when it all goes "wrong" and they actually get pregnant.

Liberation my foot.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. I spent five years in the Guides back in the days when it was supposedly a Christian organisation. When there were church services, approximately three or four girls from our pack used to turn up (at most). I was one of them and I was only there because I felt sorry for the leader.

The good bits of being in the Guides had nothing to do with religion and were all related to camping* and setting fire to stuff.

*By far and away the most useful skill I learned there. Thanks to the Guides, I am very, very good at pitching a tent so it won't leak. My mother hates camping and I never would have learned this without Bev the Guide leader.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
nice to know that the Guides will now be taught how to have underage, risky sex

That seems extremely unlikely.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

Ah yet more hateful bigotry from the Marxist left, what a surprise. As for baby killing, I have to confess to not being a fan myself
You're happy enough with it when it's Abraham about to do it or Joshua actually going through with it, so don't give me the fake anguish shite.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Ah yet more hateful bigotry from the Marxist left, what a surprise. As for baby killing, I have to confess to not being a fan myself (this post was originally in Dead Horses for that reason). But nice to know that the Guides will now be taught how to have underage, risky sex and then kill their babies when it all goes "wrong" and they actually get pregnant.

Liberation my foot.

Lesbian sex is one of the least risky kinds of sex, just sayin'.

Not that the Guides will be taught this anyway, because last time I checked being taught about camping didn't involve sex education, because dude, sound travels between tent walls.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

Ah yet more hateful bigotry from the Marxist left, what a surprise. As for baby killing, I have to confess to not being a fan myself
You're happy enough with it when it's Abraham about to do it or Joshua actually going through with it, so don't give me the fake anguish shite.
Pfft, we all know killing heathen babies is Godly and Anointed. It's aborting the WASP foetuses of nice middle-class girls that's really unforgivable.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basics:

1: To second Karl, if the Daily Heil claims that the weather's sunny don't forget your umbrella.

2: If you are not pro-condoms then you are objectively pro-forced pregnancy and pro-increasing the number of abortions.

3: Peter Hitchens is a shortsighted curmudgeonly jackass. Calling him brilliant might just be the single most stupid thing you have said on this thread. Which is quite impressive given that you have yet to say anything that makes me think your greatest intellectual achievement isn't learning to type.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
My mother hates camping and I never would have learned this without Bev the Guide leader.

Oh, I don't know: I hate camping and my wife found that out long after she was chucked out of the Brownies. [Snigger]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:

2: If you are not pro-condoms then you are objectively pro-forced pregnancy and pro-increasing the number of abortions.

False. There were far fewer abortions when
a) sex outside marriage was disapproved of
b) abortion was illegal
c) contraception was not generally available

Finally enough people did not behave like the sex crazed animals they do today.

As for forced pregnancy without condoms, what are you on about? Nobody is forcing people to be promiscuous.

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1: To second Karl, if the Daily Heil claims that the weather's sunny don't forget your umbrella.

That applies to all media organisations in Britain though.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

b) abortion was illegal

As for forced pregnancy without condoms, what are you on about? Nobody is forcing people to be promiscuous.

You don't need promiscuity to get pregnant. Indeed, marriage with no contraception is a very, erm, fertile ground for almost continuous pregnancy and all that entails. With no need to act like sex crazed animals, unless you consider anything more often than once every few years as "sex crazed".

[ 27. June 2013, 13:38: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:

b) abortion was illegal

1) rapists do indeed force people to have sex, and some of their victims get pregnant from that and 2) most women who have abortions are married and already have kids.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for 'pro-British', I'm not sure what he means by that or how he thinks the Guides are not pro-British any more. Can anyone remove my ignorance?
The Guides are a world-wide organisation; the ones in other countries are not required to swear loyalty to our Queen unless she's their Queen too. They have also been a multi-faith organisation for almost a century; the Indian promise allows you to substitute the word 'Dharma' for 'God' if you are a Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh or Jain.

Speaking as an ex-Guider, I would prefer to have a promise that is as inclusive as possible. The first part of the Guide Law is 'A Guide is honest'; what kind of message does it send out if leaders tell girls who want to join 'You have to say the promise before you can be a member, but if you don't believe in God just cross your fingers when you get to that bit'?!

I smell a rat too, but it smells more like the same old bunch of misogynists objecting to girls deciding things for themselves and doing stuff without getting the boys' approval first. Or maybe their calendars are slow and they think it's still 1913.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
quote:

b) abortion was illegal

You don't need promiscuity to get pregnant. Indeed, marriage with no contraception is a very, erm, fertile ground for almost continuous pregnancy and all that entails. With no need to act like sex crazed animals, unless you consider anything more often than once every few years as "sex crazed".
Indifferently goes for annual Communion in more than one sense of the word, maybe?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

MIND BLEACH! NOW!

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
b) abortion was illegal

There were fewer abortions, but there was the pain and terror of back-street abortion. And there were also thousands of babies available for adoption because their young mothers were shamed into giving them up for life. I should know: I was one of them. (Babies, I mean.)

I think abortion is a grievous thing. I think adoption is much preferable (I am not sorry I was adopted, I love my adoptive family dearly). But those birth mothers had rights too, and the Church was, mainly, not there for them. And it should have been.

I'm not saying I think the present cultural situation is peachy. But neither do I have much patience with pro-lifers who want to shame single mothers ... either back in 1962, or now.

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm gutted that I was a guide back in the eighties and only got taught how to make bread and toast marshmallows over a camp fire. If I'd been taught about depraved lezzie sex in a useful, educational manner it would have prevented all sorts of embarrassing fumbles.

But then I wasn't a guide for very long. Apparently calling the leader a cunt is not allowed and so maybe I just missed out on the perversion.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

quote:
Originally posted by chive:
I'm gutted that I was a guide back in the eighties and only got taught how to make bread and toast marshmallows over a camp fire. If I'd been taught about depraved lezzie sex in a useful, educational manner it would have prevented all sorts of embarrassing fumbles.

But then I wasn't a guide for very long. Apparently calling the leader a cunt is not allowed and so maybe I just missed out on the perversion.

It was a long time ago and you still haven't got over bragging about your bad manners? You rebel you.
squidgetsmum
Apprentice
# 17708

- Posted      Profile for squidgetsmum   Email squidgetsmum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congruatulations Indifferently! You've managed to post such utter bullshit that you've persuaded me to stop lurking. Awesomez!

I personally believe that taking the Daily Mail for source material should have been mentioned in DSM-V, but it's hard to believe quite how wrong they actually got it. I've been a member of Girlguiding UK for quite some time, so let me try to disabuse you.

Whatever you think of Julie Bentley's previous job, she didn't rewrite the promise. It's been something we've asked for for several years. This version was written in response to 44,000 responses to a consultation. Fairly safe to say this was neither new, nor unsupported.

Now, I actually wrote some of the material available to Guides on sex. If you can point me to any point where we advocate risky sex and then abortion, I'll give you a prize. You can't though. You'll find it centres on safe, informed, legal sex - and even includes abstinence. I realise that's a bit radical for us ugodly types..

Simce we've never been a religious organisation, but a spiritual one, you're talking crap. Some of us even manage to be Christians and guides - and to be honest, it feels a lot more honest using this promise, knowing that some girls just can't make the old one in good faith.

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I will regret this, but Indifferently, you could not be more wrong if you tried.

Firstly, being feminist has always been part of Guiding. When the Guides first started it was because women wanted the chance to be involved in Scouting but it was considered scandalous to let them do that. So we started our own movement.

Secondly, Guiding is not, and never has been, a Christian organisation. It is an organisation that values spiritual development, which has historically in the UK meant Christian, but in other countries in the world the majority of guides are of other faiths.

This change means that we will not be forcing those whose beliefs can't be expressed by 'love my God' to promise something meaningless. It is quite possible for a Christian to feel comfortable promising to 'be true to myself and develop my beliefs'.

For that matter I would like to call to he'll whoever thought the phrase 'to love my God' had meaning in the first place. As an adult you can understand that it includes activity spiritual commitment but as a child I never thought it meant more than a fluffy wuffy feeling.

Finally, as for all your "sex education encourages risky sex and abortions" crap - please feel free to fuck right off and get yourself a clue stick. Can you not even see how counter intuitive stating that safe sex education will encourage risky sex is?

Moron.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by chive:

I know right? I missed out on both Brownies and Guides due to my anti-monarchist stance. If only I'd known what dens of vice they were.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of interest, Jade, are your parents active Socialists?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, welcome squidgetsmum! The kind of cheerful, confident first post that one would expect of a Guide in Hell. [Smile]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
Out of interest, Jade, are your parents active Socialists?

My dad is, my mum isn't. Why? Anti-monarchism isn't purely a socialist stance (as Americans would tell you), and my dad was quite happy for me to join. I just decided that I couldn't truthfully swear the oath, which given that all the Scouting groups are supposed to be honest first and foremost, seems like a good and Guide-worthy sentiment.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, ok. It's a while since I was nine, but I don't remember any vocal republicans back then (to the extent that it would affect whether they joined an institution) and so presumed it was the result of some kind of parental influence.

In a British context, I'd say that socialism and republicanism often go hand in hand. (Though not always - there are, for instance, some Conservatives who are republicans.)

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If only I'd known what was going on in Guides, I might have joined instead of giving up after Brownies. All I remember from Brownies is playing Chinese ladders, which is a good game but not exactly... wait! It was CHINESE... it was secretly encouraging us to become COMMUNIST [Paranoid]

And my daughter's first Girl Guides badge was for wielding an axe - I thought it was for chopping wood for a fire but obviously it was for BABY KILLING [Paranoid]

And all that non-stop, crazed, lesbian sex, no wonder they were all tired by the end of camp [Eek!]

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a scouting leader with many friends in the Guiding movement, I am [Killing me]

Keep it up! Hell needs you more than they need Incomprehensible.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which is quite impressive given that you have yet to say anything that makes me think your greatest intellectual achievement isn't learning to type.

Intellectual achievement? Surely Indifferently is the result of using too few monkeys.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sex crazed animals? Oh, damn and blast, a sudden surge of nostalgia.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
squidgetsmum
Apprentice
# 17708

- Posted      Profile for squidgetsmum   Email squidgetsmum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Haydee:
If only I'd known what was going on in Guides, I might have joined instead of giving up after Brownies. All I remember from Brownies is playing Chinese ladders, which is a good game but not exactly... wait! It was CHINESE... it was secretly encouraging us to become COMMUNIST [Paranoid]

And my daughter's first Girl Guides badge was for wielding an axe - I thought it was for chopping wood for a fire but obviously it was for BABY KILLING [Paranoid]

And all that non-stop, crazed, lesbian sex, no wonder they were all tired by the end of camp [Eek!]

Oh God yeah. What d'you think we needed the campfire for? Roast babies...yumm.

As for the lesbian sex...it's very hard to have crazed lesbian sex all week and abseil too. We Guides have stamina, I tell you.

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused. How are you going to get pregnant from lesbian sex? We need to fit the abortions into the schedule here.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

b) abortion was illegal

Ah, I love the smell of a know-nothing reactionary in the morning. Actually I don't. They stink the place up.

If you actually knew what you were talking about you would know that "Restrictive abortion laws are not associated with lower abortion rates." The main thing that banning abortion does is causes people to resort to wire coathangers.

And if you had a damn clue what you were talking about rather than being one of the few surviving brain donors, you'd know that there The decline in US adolescent pregnancy rates appears to be following the patterns observed in other developed countries, where improved contraceptive use has been the primary determinant of declining rates. In other words contraception is massively correlated to a decrease in pregnancy.

You would also know that abstinance-only sex education simply doesn't work. "This assessment of the impact of formal sex education programs on teen sexual health using nationally representative data found that abstinence-only programs had no significant effect in delaying the initiation of sexual activity or in reducing the risk for teen pregnancy and STD. In contrast comprehensive sex education programs were significantly associated with reduced risk of teen pregnancy"

(Note that my lins above are all professional peer-reviewed research).

As for "sex crazed animals", this is a product of your fevered imagination. If I'm looking for the sex-crazed, I look at the "cover the piano legs" Victorians. I'd also say that they had their own solution to unwanted pregnancies - dumping them on doorsteps.

But I wouldn't expect any actual facts and evidence to have penetrated the ignorant and false prejudices you claim in the post I'm replying to to be fact. The closest to the truth you've managed is that there were indeed fewer abortions when the population was under one billion as opposed to over six.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All that stuff about abortion being illegal, contraception being restricted, sex disapproved of outside marriage - this is a nightmarish right-wing fantasy. I remember the 50s, when some of this operated, and why anyone would see it as something to go back to, is beyond me. Disgusting really, anti-human, anti-women, anti-soul.

[ 27. June 2013, 15:40: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wonderful thing about prejudice is that you already have The Answers or can get them from the right wing tabloids so there is no need for thought. Having to look at things like evidence and research and analysis is thus avoided and this saves massive amounts of time that can then be spent writing Angry of Tunbridge Wells type posts.

[ 27. June 2013, 15:46: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
All that stuff about abortion being illegal, contraception being restricted, sex disapproved of outside marriage - this is a nightmarish right-wing fantasy. I remember the 50s, when some of this operated, and why anyone would see it as something to go back to, is beyond me. Disgusting really, anti-human, anti-women, anti-soul.

Vogon philosophy? "All shore leave is cancelled. I've just had an unhappy love affair so I don't see why anyone else should have a good time!"

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:

Vogon philosophy? "All shore leave is cancelled. I've just had an unhappy love affair so I don't see why anyone else should have a good time!"
I think in the UK, it's often treated as comedy, as there is little likelihood of any of it coming to fruition. But in the US, it ain't funny, as these right-wing twats are always one step away from power, I suppose, or actually in power.

Having said that, I suppose UKIP show some signs of it - I mean a right-wing radicalism, anti-gay, anti-women, anti-trade union, xenophobic, and so on.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
The wonderful thing about prejudice is that you already have The Answers or can get them from the right wing tabloids so there is no need for thought.

Need for thought? Surely they are not read by anyone capable of thought.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[great gobs of links]

I could never host Dead Horses. Somebody send Louise and Tony triple chocolate. Christhamercy you're a wordy and linky bunch of losers.

hate all of you.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016