homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Doing something is better than doing nothing."

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: "Doing something is better than doing nothing."
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When it comes to human rights violations (I'm thinking particularly of what's happening in Russia regarding LGBT people), is this statement always right?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that human rights violations are themselves "doing something", this would seem to be incorrect.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the statement is rather simplistic and the answer is probably NO. Sometimes doing "anything" amounts to pouring gasoline on a fire or throwing an anchor to a drowning person. Maybe it should be paraphrased: "Is it always better to do something which has been carefully considered and seems likely to improve the situation, or to do nothing?"

In particular, with regard to the treatment of LGBT folk in Russia, what "anythings" might be considered?

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say definitely not. For instance, if I went to Russia and started murdering or trying to murder everyone I thought of as a human-rights violator I would probably make my cause look like a bunch of murderers.

In a less extreme example, I have heard--and I don't know the facts in this case, but it still makes a good example--that those in the 1990s who sent money to Africa to buy captured people back from slavery actually increased said slavery by greatly raising the price of such slaves. If this is so, then surely said people did worse than nothing--they increased slavery when they meant to decrease it.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the occasions when I heard this response, it usually involves a situation where I have felt that there is a rush to act without adequate thinking of all the potential ramifications.

Thinking and examining options is not "doing nothing."

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it in "yes Minister" ? The Civil Service syllogism:
- we must do something
- this is something
-> we must do this

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, doing something can take many forms and does not necessarily mean going to Russia and putting one's life on the line.

But doing nothing at all, however small? If you feel that something is terribly wrong?

I think it was Edmund Burke who said:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Choose the issue that means the most to you, and consider how you are led to contribute your energy and talents to that cause. It may not require facing great danger, but it does require listening to God.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, doing something can take many forms and does not necessarily mean going to Russia and putting one's life on the line.

But doing nothing at all, however small? If you feel that something is terribly wrong?

Edmund Burke's wise words:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [men] to do nothing

Choose the issue that means the most to you, and consider how you are led to contribute your energy and talents to that cause. It may not require facing great danger, but it often requires listening to God.

sabine

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

well, silly me. . . I tried to edit my post after I checked make sure about the Edmund Burke quote and ended up with two posts.

My words aren't often worthy of double posting, but Edmund Burke's are. [Smile]

sabine

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Was it in "yes Minister" ? The Civil Service syllogism:
- we must do something
- this is something
-> we must do this

Best wishes,

Russ

Politician's syllogism. It's a Civil Service way of getting politicians to act the way they want. Or explaining why they do stupid things in a crisis.

[ 07. August 2013, 15:06: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My, my, we are a bunch of pedants aren't we?*

ISTM, the OP is attempting to say a small, symbolic act is better than no act at all.
Such as a statement condemning Russia's LBGT policies.
Yes, of course it is better than nothing. Perhaps not much better, but certainly better.

*Yes, I am including myself.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just not sure that I agree that a symbolic act is better. I think such acts are ways to make ourselves feel good about not doing anything useful. I think that perhaps if we can't be useful we shouldn't allow ourselves to reach resolution about situations that are so very wrong.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I'm just not sure that I agree that a symbolic act is better. I think such acts are ways to make ourselves feel good about not doing anything useful. I think that perhaps if we can't be useful we shouldn't allow ourselves to reach resolution about situations that are so very wrong.

I agree with this. My mind immediately went to the e-petitions that seem to circulate about most controversial issues (and which I've "signed" a few of in my time) and I couldn't help wondering whether they did much good at all? Certainly they give the impression of it ("Look, I've supported this cause!") but is there any evidence that they actually have any effect? In fact, do many of them even get seen by the people they're aimed at - at least a paper petition will normally be presented to whoever's in charge of the particular issue that's being debated.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
I think the occasions when I heard this response, it usually involves a situation where I have felt that there is a rush to act without adequate thinking of all the potential ramifications.

Thinking and examining options is not "doing nothing."

Exactly, but that often seems to get forgotten in the rush to "do something". Which then leads to more problems, because no one's stopped and sat down and thought about what actually needs to be done - they've often just done the first thing that comes into their head or simply the easiest or most popular things, which may not be the best solution to the problem. Then new problems emerge, or the old problems come back (or both) and we're back to square one - or worse...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016