homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » David sings the Blues

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: David sings the Blues
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading snippets of an interview of Bono for Christianity Today, I noticed this interesting comparison:

quote:
Daly: That Scripture in Psalms that talks about God being close to the brokenhearted and saving those crushed in spirit—does that mean something to you?

Bono: First of all, David's a musician, so I'm gonna like him. ... And what's so powerful about the Psalms are, as well as their being Gospel and songs of praise, they are also the Blues. It's very important for Christians to be honest with God, which often, you know, God is much more interested in who you are than who you want to be.

Is it valid to call the Psalms "The Blues without guitars"? (This may be old hat to some, but it is a new way of seeing it/them to me)

The last line in the quote seems to be pretty close to Luke 18:9-14 , so it may not need much comment here.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Is it valid to call the Psalms "The Blues without guitars"?

Yes.
quote:
88 Domine, Deus

1 O LORD, my God, my Savior, *
by day and night I cry to you.

2 Let my prayer enter into your presence; *
incline your ear to my lamentation.

3 For I am full of trouble; *
my life is at the brink of the grave.

4 I am counted among those who go down to the Pit; *
I have become like one who has no strength;

5 Lost among the dead, *
like the slain who lie in the grave,

6 Whom you remember no more, *
for they are cut off from your hand.

7 You have laid me in the depths of the Pit, *
in dark places, and in the abyss.

8 Your anger weighs upon me heavily, *
and all your great waves overwhelm me.

9 You have put my friends far from me;
you have made me to be abhorred by them; *
I am in prison and cannot get free.

10 My sight has failed me because of trouble; *
LORD, I have called upon you daily;
I have stretched out my hands to you.

11 Do you work wonders for the dead? *
will those who have died stand up and give you thanks?

12 Will your loving-kindness be declared in the grave? *
your faithfulness in the land of destruction?

13 Will your wonders be known in the dark? *
or your righteousness in the country where all
is forgotten?

14 But as for me, O LORD, I cry to you for help; *
in the morning my prayer comes before you.

15 LORD, why have you rejected me? *
why have you hidden your face from me?

16 Ever since my youth, I have been wretched and at the
point of death; *
I have borne your terrors with a troubled mind.

17 Your blazing anger has swept over me; *
your terrors have destroyed me;

18 They surround me all day long like a flood; *
they encompass me on every side.

19 My friend and my neighbor you have put away from me, *
and darkness is my only companion.

Q.E.D.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoa, verse 3 already has the blues rhythm. I can almost hear a harmonica over it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Blind Willie Johnson sing that? [Biased]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A psalm of the sons of Korah

Or as Eugene Peterson paraphrases this one by the Sons of Korah (The Message psalm 42|

5 Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?
Why are you crying the blues?
Fix my eyes on God—
soon I’ll be praising again.
He puts a smile on my face.
He’s my God.
6-8 When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse
everything I know of you,
From Jordan depths to Hermon heights,
including Mount Mizar.
Chaos calls to chaos,
to the tune of whitewater rapids.
Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers
crash and crush me.
Then God promises to love me all day,
sing songs all through the night!
My life is God’s prayer.
9-10 Sometimes I ask God, my rock-solid God,
“Why did you let me down?
Why am I walking around in tears,
harassed by enemies?”
They’re out for the kill, these
tormentors with their obscenities,
Taunting day after day,
“Where is this God of yours?”
11 Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?
Why are you crying the blues?
Fix my eyes on God—
soon I’ll be praising again.
He puts a smile on my face.
He’s my God.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's why the blues make me happy! They have always been therapeuo.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember from the Pastoral Theology module of my degree that one writer who's name I can't remember saw a lot of the Psalms as therapeutic texts in that they allowed the singer acknowledge and 'exteriorise' their negative feelings and so lessen their psychological and physical impact which is why some of the Psalms move from despair and anguish to hope and faith.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For years U2 finished their concerts with 40.

[ 08. July 2013, 17:17: Message edited by: Caissa ]

Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ounces?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Reading snippets of an interview of Bono for Christianity Today, I noticed this interesting comparison:

quote:
Daly: That Scripture in Psalms that talks about God being close to the brokenhearted and saving those crushed in spirit—does that mean something to you?

Bono: First of all, David's a musician, so I'm gonna like him. ... And what's so powerful about the Psalms are, as well as their being Gospel and songs of praise, they are also the Blues. It's very important for Christians to be honest with God, which often, you know, God is much more interested in who you are than who you want to be.

Is it valid to call the Psalms "The Blues without guitars"? (This may be old hat to some, but it is a new way of seeing it/them to me)

The last line in the quote seems to be pretty close to Luke 18:9-14 , so it may not need much comment here.

Is it valid to call the planhs of the troubadours "the blues"?

As an analogy to help moderns (at least the ones who know what the blues is), it's fine. But it's silly and reductive (in both directions) to simply equate the Psalms with the blues.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

I doubt that Bono was making a rigorous theological connection between the Psalms and the Blues. ISTM he is more likely to be making the point that the Psalms do contain the complaints, the yearnings, the angst that are audible in the Blues. This may help the present generation interpret some of the Bible helpfully.

Christianity Today is a bit unreliable for theological insight, and a passing interview is not the best place for Deep Thought anyway.

(BTW, what word did you mean for "planhs"?)

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it strange that contemporary church song books contain so few of the themes found in the psalms or much of the Biblical cannon. Not even in churches that call themselves 'Bible believing'.

I'll shut up before this canters off to join the crappy choruses threads. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could probably argue that the blues originated directly out of the Psalms. There is a lot of debate as to how the music known as the blues came to be, but it was likely influenced by scripture-heavy call and response work songs, as well as the gospel music of the time. Not a far step from singing about David having hard times on a Sunday morning at church or on a Monday morning in the field to singing about your own hard times on a Friday night.

I have always been a reggae guy, and I recently realized that part of what I enjoy is catching the same lines from the psalms that I sing on Sunday with my choir in a Yabby You cut. There is a similar story to the blues link- the suffering black poor apply scripture to their own struggles, in their own style of music.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then try being wise and omnidirectionally expansive Fr Weber.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I doubt that Bono was making a rigorous theological connection between the Psalms and the Blues. ISTM he is more likely to be making the point that the Psalms do contain the complaints, the yearnings, the angst that are audible in the Blues. This may help the present generation interpret some of the Bible helpfully.

Christianity Today is a bit unreliable for theological insight, and a passing interview is not the best place for Deep Thought anyway.

(BTW, what word did you mean for "planhs"?)

I meant "planhs". [Smile]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A classic example of the blues as the Psalms (or here, the book of Judges) presented on slide guitar.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of people misunderstand the blues, it isn't about feeling bad, it's therapy.

Take the lyric, "I've been down so long, but I'm on my way up again," from Magic Sam's Out of Bad Luck. It's positive. There's hope there.

There's that in the psalms too. In fact there's something appealing about someone singing about their faith in a none preachy way. Even Led Zeppelin covered Josh White's In My Time Of Dying. (Even if they changed the title and claimed they wrote it.)

The holy blues and the Psalms show a trust in God even when things are bad. Not a message that would go down too well in the name it and claim it end of charismatic evangelicalism, which is a shame, because Blind Willie McTell speaks to my soul much more than some of the songs, both modern and traditional, that I sing in church.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
I find it strange that contemporary church song books contain so few of the themes found in the psalms or much of the Biblical cannon. Not even in churches that call themselves 'Bible believing'.

I'll shut up before this canters off to join the crappy choruses threads. [Big Grin]

To be serious, I think this is probably a cultural issue. Charismatic Christians in Britain's modern suburbs simply don't face the same trials and tribulations that faced the people who sang the blues.

'Bible-believing' Christians from other cultural and social backgrounds are probably more likely to sing songs about casting their burdens before Jesus, or laying them down at the altar, for example. If you're an accountant or a banker in a nice house with healthy children, what 'burdens' have you got to 'lay down'? The burden of choosing a good school? The burden of working too many hours so you can maintain a great lifestyle?

In short, do the blues really resonate in a relatively very comfortable environment?

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me add: [Smile]

I know that everybody hurts sometimes.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Is having your heart ripped out a class issue SvitlanaV2?

--------------------
Love wins

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Is having your heart ripped out a class issue SvitlanaV2?

Pain is pain, of course it is! It doesn't matter who feels it.

Although heartbreak can be caused by a lot of things, your post first made me think of romantic love. Although the Bible has quite a few examples of erotic emotion, it doesn't seem to dwell too much on romantic trauma, bar a few memorable examples. The Psalms don't deal with that directly.

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

To be serious, I think this is probably a cultural issue. Charismatic Christians in Britain's modern suburbs simply don't face the same trials and tribulations that faced the people who sang the blues.
Don't we?

I'll admit I'm no in fear for my life, have a bit of middle aged spread rather than starving but shit still happens. This seems to be foreign to a lot of contemporary hymnody which seems to float a few inches above the floor.

quote:
In short, do the blues really resonate in a relatively very comfortable environment?
I love the blues because they resonate with the shit that still happens and the psalms for the same reason.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:

I'll admit I'm no in fear for my life, have a bit of middle aged spread rather than starving but shit still happens. This seems to be foreign to a lot of contemporary hymnody which seems to float a few inches above the floor.

I don't know how mainstream charismatic churches work, but don't members of the congregation ever stand up to 'raise songs' that speak to their needs? Don't you have times of testimony that are sometimes used for the sharing of personal and communal pain? Some people use these times for the sharing of songs that are meaningful to them.

There's no shortage of songs, but if everything is always decided in advance then you'll obviously be limited to the repertoire that's chosen by the preacher or the worship team.

If being spontaneous is too daring then you could plan or suggest having a 'Songs of Praise' service, where people are encouraged to recommend hymns or songs in advance that might speak to their needs. At my old church little bits of paper were left on the seats and people made notes of the hymns they'd like. The papers were collected up and the repertoire was taken from the suggestions made.

Alternatively, maybe you and a few others could start a small singing group to encourage the singing of a wider repertoire. Some of the older more plaintive songs work well with guitars and drums. You could choose to sing some spirituals sometimes.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blind Willie Johnson:
quote:
Yes God, God don't never change
He's God, always will be God

God in the middle of the ocean
God in the middle of the sea
By the help of the great creator
Truly been a God to me
Hey God, God don't never change
God, always will be God

God in creation
God when Adam fell
God way up in heaven
God way down in hell
He's God, God don't never change
God, always will be God

Spoke to the mountain
Said how great I am
Want you to get up this mornin'
Skip around like a lamb
Well he's God, God don't never change
God, always will be God

or

quote:
Lord, I just can't keep from crying sometimes
When my heart's full of sorrow and my eyes are filled with tears

My mother often told me, angels bonded your life away
She said I would accomplish, but trust in God and pray
I'm on the King's Highway, I'm travelin' everyday

Sounds like Psalms to me. But funkier.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

I don't know how mainstream charismatic churches work, but don't members of the congregation ever stand up to 'raise songs' that speak to their needs? Don't you have times of testimony that are sometimes used for the sharing of personal and communal pain? Some people use these times for the sharing of songs that are meaningful to them.

There's no shortage of songs, but if everything is always decided in advance then you'll obviously be limited to the repertoire that's chosen by the preacher or the worship team.

If being spontaneous is too daring then you could plan or suggest having a 'Songs of Praise' service, where people are encouraged to recommend hymns or songs in advance that might speak to their needs. At my old church little bits of paper were left on the seats and people made notes of the hymns they'd like. The papers were collected up and the repertoire was taken from the suggestions made.

Alternatively, maybe you and a few others could start a small singing group to encourage the singing of a wider repertoire. Some of the older more plaintive songs work well with guitars and drums. You could choose to sing some spirituals sometimes.

I'm not going to comment on Charismatic Services per se, but what I read in Songs of Fellowship or hear on UCB and Premier Radio if I had a mind to, and perhaps the increasing number of Christian TV channels that are now Atlantic hopping. And I have been to Spring Harvest a few years back when we had
the money.

I have rarely, if ever seen a song of complaint or lament used worship except at a funeral or possibly as a backing track to one of those awful charity adverts designed to emotionally black mail donations.

My point is that truly biblical worship needs to use the full range of images and feelings expressed in the psalms. It is really important for those who struggle with the shit that happens and depression and the like. Happy, clappy praise and love songs don't cut it when you are in the depths of darkness wrestling with God.

I hope those who's call or ministry is to lead worship take note of the psalms. BTW You don't want to hear me sing down a mike! If I led worship it would probably be with art or prose. (unfortunately my whole town does not seem to be into anything alt worship) [Disappointed] Maybe it is not allowed because it would put everone on a real downer and most people don't like that.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016