homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Two new saints (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Two new saints
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just been announced on World at One that Popes John Paul II and John XXIII are to be canonised.

What are shipmates reactions? Joyful, excited, grateful, horrified, can't see what the fuss is about, 'what is canonisation anyway?', 'why can't I be one?'

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's just been announced on World at One that Popes John Paul II and John XXIII are to be canonised.

What are shipmates reactions? Joyful, excited, grateful, horrified, can't see what the fuss is about, 'what is canonisation anyway?', 'why can't I be one?
'

I definitely come in the 'what is all the fuss about' section. If the Catholic church (or any other church, for that matter) want Saints, then let them have Saints.

Won't make any difference in the end - God loves us all equally. And its the inside of us that counts, and the reason for our deeds, not our deeds.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know much about John XXII so can't really comment on him. As for John Paul II, well, I'm not surprised (given the cult of personality which surrounded him) even if I don't quite understand it. There are a number of things he did which really made me dislike him, but, at the end of the day, it's not my problem really no longer being an RC. I shan't be asking him to pray for me.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horrified by JP II and pleased with J XXIII.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How come only Catholics are saints? I can think of several people I've come across in my lifetime whom I would consider to be saints, but they aren't Catholics.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Episcopal Church (U.S.) has had John XXIII commemorated in our calendar for several years now. I somehow doubt that John Paul II will ever make it on the Episcopal calendar.

Oddly, both NPR and the BBC sent me "breaking news" emails this morning with John Paul II in their headlines, but not John XXIII. (NPR mentioned John XXIII as sort of an afterthought in the body of their email; the BBC made no mention. I did not read the linked articles in either.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
How come only Catholics are saints? I can think of several people I've come across in my lifetime whom I would consider to be saints, but they aren't Catholics.

My understanding is except in the case of martyrdom (all Christian Martyrs are saints by virtue of their martyrdom) the Roman Catholic Church only wishes to speak for its faithful. Even so it only indicates those that it after quite extensive investigation finds fulfil quite strict criteria. Therefore at best this can be seen as a minimal set of people to be saints, not everyone who is.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
'why can't I be one?'

I wouldn't want to be. I'd prefer my bones to lie in peace once I'm dead rather than being dug up, split up and sent off to various churches and shrines.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:

My understanding is except in the case of martyrdom (all Christian Martyrs are saints by virtue of their martyrdom)
Really? So the RCC considers Charles I to be a saint?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
Horrified by JP II and pleased with J XXIII.

I must agree with this one. I agree that JPII has a cult following which seeems to over-ride the Church's careful raking through his life and death.

As for my beloved John XXIII - [Yipee]

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:

My understanding is except in the case of martyrdom (all Christian Martyrs are saints by virtue of their martyrdom)
Really? So the RCC considers Charles I to be a saint?
Whether Charles I was martyred for his faith or whether he was assassinated or executed for political reasons is a question that I suspect nobody will answer in this age.

I'm curious about the timing. I had the vague impression it was best practice to wait a couple of generations after someone's death. JP2 seems very soon.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two men who were saints finally get it made offical . John XXIII iniated changes ov Vatican one John Paul II helped the fall of communism.

As for King Charles I he was execured as a political act not a religous act.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
Two men who were saints finally get it made offical . John XXIII iniated changes ov Vatican one John Paul II helped the fall of communism.

Then they better make Martin Luther and Lech Walesa saints as well!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When someone's political actions are a result of their faith, how do you unpack the distinction? Heck, by that measure you could say that the Crucifixion happened for political rather than religious reasons.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

One could say that JP2's helping the fall of communism was a political. And King Charles wasn't Roman Catholic so obviously the Vatican isn't going to canonize him.

I was very pleasantly surprised to hear than John 23 is being canonized.

[ 05. July 2013, 18:05: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Delighted by John XXIII's impending canonisation. I studied Jewish-Catholic relations during my most recent Open University course and as Archbishop Roncalli saved thousands of lives through astute diplomacy and willingness to ensure the rules were sufficently bent in several countries to save those lives.

Axious. [Angel]

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John 23...it's about time!
JP2...I often wonder whether the public outcry for sainthood should have been rationale to lengthen, rather than shorten, the five years. I suppose it would have stood the test of time, anyway.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think that by taking the two causes forward together Pope Francis is saying something ?

In our politically-minded age, John 23 is often seen as progressive and JP2 as conservative. Are we to read from this that holiness is orthogonal to political conviction ?

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having your name put into the list of canonised saints simply means that the RC church considers that person to be a good model for other Christians.It has to do with the perceived love of God and neighbour as practiced by the individual. It has nothing to do with the person's political activity or lack of it.

The RC church in general puts into the list of canonised saints only those whose virtue it can investigate,but that is not to say that there are not many,many saints who are not on the list,who were never Catholics or even Christians.

Incidentally King Charles the First is not a saint canonised by the RC church.That however does not necessarily mean that he was not a saint.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read John XXIII's 'Journey of a Soul' several times. Never thought he would be recognised as a saint.
Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where on earth does this idea that John XXIII was a liberal come from? [Confused]
Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
Where on earth does this idea that John XXIII was a liberal come from? [Confused]

By comparison to Paul VI and JPII perhaps?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
What are shipmates reactions? Joyful, excited, grateful, horrified, can't see what the fuss is about, 'what is canonisation anyway?', 'why can't I be one?'

My reaction was 'what is canonisation anyway?' I googled it and discovered what it was. I would not like to be one. I would not like to be recognised for having exceptional virtue and holiness, because it wouldn't be true. Although if I could inspire people in some way to deepen their knowledge of God and have a positive influence in the world, I would like that. But not to be canonised for it. And in many ways, what the world sees as a positive influence will vary from culture to culture, from time period to time period.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps "progressive" would be a better term than "liberal" to describe John XXIII, but I suspect CL won't care for that description either...

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of 'liberal/progressive' popes, I found this week's blog post by Leonardo Boff, one of the most prolific proponents of Liberation Theology, interesting. I'm not sure if it isn't wishful thinking though.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:

I think that it was by comparison to Pius XII, his predecessor.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope Pio XII's cause for canonisation stalls. His wartime record remains extremely dodgy, IMO, all the recent spin notwithstanding. I feel almost quite the same way about the late pope, but his is a political canonisation to help make his groupies happy.

John XXIII, on the other hand, although pretty much the same era and formation as Pio XII, rose above his innate conservationism and let loose a flood of change with the calling of Vatican II. Pio just fiddled about the edges. YMMV, but this is one Catholic's view.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Speaking of 'liberal/progressive' popes, I found this week's blog post by Leonardo Boff, one of the most prolific proponents of Liberation Theology, interesting. I'm not sure if it isn't wishful thinking though.

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.ie/2013/06/brother-of-leonardo-boff-we-should-have.html
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I hope Pio XII's cause for canonisation stalls. His wartime record remains extremely dodgy, IMO, all the recent spin notwithstanding. I feel almost quite the same way about the late pope, but his is a political canonisation to help make his groupies happy.

John XXIII, on the other hand, although pretty much the same era and formation as Pio XII, rose above his innate conservationism and let loose a flood of change with the calling of Vatican II. Pio just fiddled about the edges. YMMV, but this is one Catholic's view.

Utter rubbish.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

So tell us what you think...

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe John 23's first address to the assembled Cardinals began, "Well, brothers, here We are at the end of the road and the top of the dung heap."
If true, it was surely the utterance of a saint.

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:

I think that it was by comparison to Pius XII, his predecessor.
Pius XII was an archreformer.
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:

[Confused] Please do elaborate.

[ 07. July 2013, 00:34: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like St Francis, people tend to superimpose on to Blessed John, what they "wish" he stood for

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
quote:

The Holy Week rites and Divino Afflante Spiritu, for example.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The RCC does not create saints. Everybody who has died and gone to heaven is a saint, and ultimately it is up to the individual and God whether that will be the case. The RCC canonises saints, which means that she allows a particular saint to become venerated as part of her official liturgical worship. Your grandma may be just as much a saint in heaven as JPII, but when he gets canonised, he can be mentioned for example in the Litany of the Saints at Easter Vigil, unlike your grandma.

This is then about an official liturgical recognition. It's a bit like being knighted by the Queen. And in a similar way that most people who have an OBE are British nationals, it's not surprising that almost all canonised RC saints were RCs (or members of the Church pre-great-schism). Just like for the OBE, there are a few "outsiders" that ended up becoming RC saints (for example the very Eastern Orthodox St Gregory Palamas, or the the Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, as St Josaphat...), but there is nothing sinister about this being restricted to RCs in general. It is mostly an internal recognition of achievements.

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I must agree with this one. I agree that JPII has a cult following which seeems to over-ride the Church's careful raking through his life and death.

Having a cult following has always been the primary way for any saint to become canonised! Prior to the establishment of an official and centralised procedure, becoming a "canonised" saint basically amounted to amassing enough spiritual "groupies" among the faithful to sway some bishop to rubber-stamp that groundswell of enthusiasm. It's hence particularly ironic for a progressive type to whine about the lack of Vatican red tape in the canonisation progress. And of course, the sum total of evidence that you have that the RCC has not carefully raked through JPII's life and death is zilch.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Then they better make Martin Luther and Lech Walesa saints as well!

As for every heresiarch, the best one can hope for Martin Luther is that he's in purgatory now (rather than in the deepest pit of hell, which is a rather more likely). After all, every additional Protestant (or at least every additional Lutheran) is another millstone around his neck. So in order to canonise Luther, one first would have to get rid of Protestantism, at which point he could possibly get to heaven. That will take a few more hundred years, I would say. In the meantime, you could try to make Arius a canonised saint of the RCC. The Arians have been dealt with successfully, there is a theoretical possibility that Arius made it to heaven since, and clearly Arius had a great and positive impact on the Church (by virtue of the Church fighting his abject heresy, but still...) - all that would be a perfect precedent for Martin Luther. So get some people together to pray for two miracles from Arius?

Lech Wałęsa is not as silly a suggestion, since he appears to be a staunch RC. Except, well, he isn't particularly dead yet...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From IngoB

As for every heresiarch, the best one can hope for Martin Luther is that he's in purgatory now (rather than in the deepest pit of hell, which is a rather more likely).

Don't forget though, that Luther achieved what none before could do - the reform of the RC Church. Before him, and especially in the previous 150 years or so, there had been very many bad popes. Luther's actions led directly to the Council of Trent, with its thorough reforms. It's hard to think of any bad popes since.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Don't forget though, that Luther achieved what none before could do - the reform of the RC Church. Before him, and especially in the previous 150 years or so, there had been very many bad popes. Luther's actions led directly to the Council of Trent, with its thorough reforms. It's hard to think of any bad popes since.

Beyond the silly (St Luther) and counter-silly (St Arius), this is indeed a serious point for consideration. I'm not sure that the RCC could have been shaken out of her deep rut then without something as catastrophic as the Reformation. Perhaps, perhaps not. But I don't think that we can simply attribute these changes to Luther (or Calvin etc.), as pivotal as he may have been in bringing them about. It seems to me that history has a tendency to come to a head, and sometimes that head is just one individual. But just because a lever needs a pivot point does not make the lever arm itself unimportant, nor the forces working on it. The question how much one man or woman can shape history by virtue of being the eye of the storm is really interesting. But I don't really have a well formed and informed opinion about that...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

Beyond the silly (St Luther) and counter-silly (St Arius), this is indeed a serious point for consideration. I'm not sure that the RCC could have been shaken out of her deep rut then without something as catastrophic as the Reformation. Perhaps, perhaps not. But I don't think that we can simply attribute these changes to Luther (or Calvin etc.), as pivotal as he may have been in bringing them about. It seems to me that history has a tendency to come to a head, and sometimes that head is just one individual. But just because a lever needs a pivot point does not make the lever arm itself unimportant, nor the forces working on it. The question how much one man or woman can shape history by virtue of being the eye of the storm is really interesting. But I don't really have a well formed and informed opinion about that...
Re attributing the Reformation to Luther, I agree. If anything, I'd attribute the Reformation to the invention of the printing press...

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the best one can hope for Martin Luther is that he's in purgatory now (rather than in the deepest pit of hell, which is a rather more likely).

How utterly ridiculous. Luther was a catholic who urged the RCC to reform itself for the sake of true catholicism.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
the best one can hope for Martin Luther is that he's in purgatory now (rather than in the deepest pit of hell, which is a rather more likely).

How utterly ridiculous. Luther was a catholic who urged the RCC to reform itself for the sake of true catholicism.
Nonsense. No one who doesn't believe in either Pope or Council (which Luther didn't) is Catholic

[ 07. July 2013, 17:04: Message edited by: SeraphimSarov ]

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
No one who doesn't believe in either Pope or Council (which Luther didn't) is Catholic

Luther obviously had, shall we say, misgivings about much of what the Church of his time was doing, but AIUI his aim (at least initially) was to reform the Church, not to start a new one. Hence the epithet 'Magisterial Reformation', in contrast to the 'Radical Reformation' efforts to break away from the whole institutional church.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nonsense. No one who doesn't believe in either Pope or Council (which Luther didn't) is Catholic
Not ROMAN catholic perhaps.

Luther's appeal to the RCC was based catholic doctrine and on how the RCC had departed from it.

As to popes, if a pope says/teaches something contrary to the teaching of previous popes, surely his authority is questionable?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not ROMAN catholic perhaps.

Luther's appeal to the RCC was based catholic doctrine and on how the RCC had departed from it.

As to popes, if a pope says/teaches something contrary to the teaching of previous popes, surely his authority is questionable?

No, you are missing the point. He also rejected Councils which meant he departed from the teaching of both East and West. Dissenter or heretic , yes but not Catholic

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

OK - heretic as far as the RCC is concerned.

Not heretical as a Christian.

So the person above who said he was most likely to be Hell is not proclaiming RC doctrine since the RCC doesn't regard protestants as non-Christians.

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
OK - heretic as far as the RCC is concerned.

Not heretical as a Christian.

So the person above who said he was most likely to be Hell is not proclaiming RC doctrine since the RCC doesn't regard protestants as non-Christians.

We would agree there (miracle of miracles !)

but I think what Ingo was getting at was his role as a promoter of schism and I can sort of see that but church authorities in Germany (I can't fault Leo X seeing it as a local German problem at the beginning) were just as at fault and if they had listened to Luther's early objections about the abuse of indulgences , I don't think he would have expanded to really going beyond and against Catholic teaching ans yes, into schism

[ 07. July 2013, 20:17: Message edited by: SeraphimSarov ]

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...to sway some bishop to rubber-stamp that groundswell of enthusiasm...

Circa these parts, rubber-stamp has the air of thoughtless approval. This doesn't speak well of the conciliarity of the clergy and the laity. Perhaps you meant something closer to ratify.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That is to understand 'Catholic' in the sense it was defined after Luther and as a result of changes he triggered.

Luther would have known he was taking risks, but it's clear that to start off with, he thought he was trying to reform the Catholic Church. In light of the failed reform 100 years previously, how that had played out, and the period when there had been up to three simultaneous popes, it was reasonable for him to sit looser on the strict meaning of Catholic than the sort of meaning it has acquired in the Roman church since the Council of Trent.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

I don't know why we are discussing Luther now. But anyway...

quote:
OK - heretic as far as the RCC is concerned. Not heretical as a Christian. So the person above who said he was most likely to be Hell is not proclaiming RC doctrine since the RCC doesn't regard protestants as non-Christians.

It is not RC doctrine that all non-Christians go to hell. It is not RC doctrine that all Christians go to heaven. It is RC doctrine that heresy is grave matter (and obviously we are talking there about heresy according to the RCC). To turn this into mortal sin, full knowledge and complete consent is required. But unlike for latter day followers of a heresy, this can be presumed for heresiarchs (originators of heresy). Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not excuse in this context, but condemn further. So it is likely that heresiarchs commit mortals sins in establishing their heresies, and unless they repent of them (which does not seem to have been the case for Luther), they will go to hell. That very much is RC doctrine, even though it is not something much stressed in these days of ecumenical appeasement...

This RC doctrine is reflected in canon law, which threatens automatic excommunication for heresy (canon 1364), putting it on par with abortion and breaking the confessional seal. And historically speaking our times are as mild as can be concerning heretics. The Church Fathers were rather clear on what fate awaits the heretic, and back then there was little distinction between the originator and later followers.

Says Origen: "So let no one persuade himself, let no one deceive himself: outside this house, that is, outside the church, no one is saved. For if anyone goes outside, he is responsible for his own death." (Homiliae in Jesu Nave 3.5, PG 12:841-42) Says Cyprian of Carthage: "Neither baptism of public confession [of the faith under torture], nor of blood [shed for the faith], can avail the heretic anything toward salvation, because there is no salvation outside of the church. Nay, even though they should suffer death for the confession of the Name, the guilt of such men is not removed even by their blood; the grievous irremissible sin of schism is not purged even by martyrdom." (Epist 73.21; CSEL 3,2:795; FC 51:282) Says Augustine: "Outside the Church he can have everything except salvation. He can have honor, he can have sacraments, he can sing alleluia, he can respond with Amen, he can have the gospel, he can hold and preach the faith in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit: but nowhere else than in the Catholic Church can he find salvation." (Sermo ad Caesariensis ecclesiae plebem 6; CSEL 53:174-175)

We are interpreting things a bit more generously these days. But part of that is exactly to shift blame from the present day heretics to their heresiarch. So Martin Luther himself remains firmly up shit creek without a paddle, even by modern RC teaching. He is someone RCs should pray for, not to.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
quote:

The Holy Week rites and Divino Afflante Spiritu, for example.
Oh brother! Calling for some new translations of the scripture based on increased knowledge of the origina texts, and calling for letting there be a time of day change for the Holy Week rites along with a few other non-radical changes makes Pius XII anarchreformer. That is flat-out weird. I can't find the "rolls eyes" emoticon so
[Killing me] will have to do.

[ 07. July 2013, 22:09: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016