homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » NIS

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: NIS
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Along with all the usual disclaimers that no one here is an expert, I want to ask if anyone has had any encounters with NIS a non-invasive treatment for all kinds of conditions.

I took one daughter, who says it helped, I took another daughter, who says it's B*llsh*t. It costs a small fortune, by the way.

Is it known to shipmates? And am I onto something, or am I letting my desire to help blind me to likely reality?

I considered putting this thread on Purg - I guess the types of response will decide where its home should be.

for those who can't view the link, NIS stands for
Neurological Integration System - NIS is based on the neurophysiological premise that the brain (not the mind) governs all of normal and optimum body function.
and is used to identify and treat pathological issue (perhaps bacterial)
physical issue (perhaps digestive)
emotional issue (in the non-cognitive sense).

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like it looks quacks to me. I can't find any references apart from the site you link to. That they talk about it working with Chiropractic and Naturopathy makes warning bells the size of Old Tom ring for me. Brids of a feather and all that - especially aquatic ones with webbed feet.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit more poking about only serves to confirm first impressions - it turns up in all the right places to be utter bullshit. Save your money. There is a word for alternative remedies that actually work - "medicine".

--------------------

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems like just a recent rebranding of the long-discredited Applied Kinesiology. (The site claims it is an evolution of this sort of thing)

Quackwatch has an article on AK.

Taking BS and polishing it up isn't my idea of good medicine. And charging desperate patients a small fortune for this crap should be illegal. 'Alternative medicine' like this may appear to help some people but this is always just a subjective impression based on the placebo effect. The underlying cause isn't affected. It just makes the patient come back for more when the symptoms inevitably recur quickly after leaving the charlatan's office.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"NIS is based on the neurophysiological premise that the brain (not the mind) governs all of normal and optimum body function"

Mind is what the brain does. It sounds daft to me but placebo will work for some people in non-critical situations. In any critical (or possibly critical) situation don't substitute wooo for medicine.

Having said that - Most people on SoF are religious. - Religion is defined by faith. - Faith is belief without evidence.

Would it be more sensible to discuss this with your GP who should be able to discern the evidence and pass it on to you?

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
wishandaprayer
Shipmate
# 17673

- Posted      Profile for wishandaprayer   Email wishandaprayer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Regardless of complaint, real causes can only be resolved when the neurological circuitry that governs ALL body function is considered.
I find, when something claims to be the ONLY way to REALLY cure something (see Scientology, Christians who "only stand for healing"), it's a pile of shit.
Shipmate
# 76

I was on mobile yesterday so needs must was concise.

Looking this stuff up, I find:

1. associated with naturopathy, Chiropractic, "holistic" this that and the other - that's a Quack point.

2. allegedly a cure-all - that's another Quack point.

3. zilch reference to peer-reviewed literature wrt efficaciousness. - there's another Quack point.

4. "based on the fact that..." followed by pseudo-scientific wording that stretches the meaning of the word "fact" to a point where Humpty Dumpty would say "hang on now, Alice!". The brain does not control the goings on in every cell in the body, for starters.

I'm afraid this stuff quacks louder than a skipful of angry ducks.

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree - Quack, quack

This sort of thing has been plugged for ME at various times. And claims can be tempting when the real doctors have no answers.

If it (or other quackery) worked then the real doctors would be all over it as they don't actually like telling patients they have nothing to help them.

And if the claims are extreme and the cost extortionate then it is like standing in the bell tower during a full peal.

[ 22. July 2013, 10:59: Message edited by: Avila ]

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once upon a time I had a disc prolapse.

Extreme pain and distress for over a year, crap physio from NHS, then a MRI scan, then offer of op. Expensive (for NHS), invasive, long recovery period, no guarantee of lasting result. But financially free to me.

Took deep breath, went to chiropractor, who fixed it in 6 sessions over 6 months (or less, actually, long time ago) with lasting result, non invasive, no recovery period. At considerable cost to me, a student and parent of small girls.

15 years ago. Not a placebo, not offered on NHS, not even particularly validated by medical profession, not even here and now.

So I just wondered, ok?

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chiropractic isn't quackery, of necessity. It can be very effective for the right conditions. One reason it is lumped in with quackery is how it is sometimes applied. To put it another way, chiropractic is not quackery, but there are a lot of quacks who practice it.
Anytime anything is listed as a cure-all, run as fast and as far as you can. As far as NIS, I will politely say I am very skeptical.

[ 22. July 2013, 18:18: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Or put another way; the mechanisms and underlying purported mechanisms of Chiropractic are quackery, but the manipulations involved do as it happens sometimes provide improvement for some conditions.

Wikipedia sums it up reasonably well:

"The scientific consensus is that chiropractic may be on a par with other manual therapies for some musculoskeletal conditions such as lower back pain, but that there is no credible evidence or mechanism for effects on other conditions, and some evidence of severe adverse effects from cervical vertebral manipulation. The ideas of innate intelligence and the chiropractic subluxation are regarded as pseudoscience."

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Or put another way; the mechanisms and underlying purported mechanisms of Chiropractic are quackery, but the manipulations involved do as it happens sometimes provide improvement for some conditions.

Yeah, happy with that statement. Hammer for nails, saw for cutting lumber.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the face of it it looks like a con. Not just bullshit, but bullshit carefully designed to extract money from frightened parents.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

Thanks for your responses, I'm just bumping this to the top of the page for ease of reference.
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Its similar with homoepathy. Its claims are a complete load of bollocks. But the process of sitting down and having someone appear genuinely interested in your problems as a person, and their level of care ends up being quite effective for things like stress and anxiety (which often exacerbate other issues as well). So while the propositions and 'medicine' of these things may be madder than a bag of frogs, they do sometimes end up genuinely helping people by accident.

The NHS is trying to incorporate more patient-centered care, and holistic thought into its approach in recognition of this effect. It's quite an old, unwieldy organ though with lots of big egos and this will take some time to filter up through the various levels as newly, and better trained doctors rise to the top and have more and more effect.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evidence based medicine has demonstrated neural plasticity. The brain is rewired for pain in osteoarthritis for example which can be proven on MRI. This may then return to near normal following a hip replacement.

One reference.

Medicine does not fully appreciate the impact of the mind/brain and neural network.

It occurs to me that any treatment that claims to understand the connections, when this area which is being extensively researched has not been explained by peer reviwed medical research, has a very vested interest when it comes to asking for lots of money.

I would suggest caution and not financially disadvantaging yourself by participation. Meditation, religion and other spiritual practices might be equally effective.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't find the explanations given on the site to be credible or coherent.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016