homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Moving to Stockholm

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Moving to Stockholm
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all.

I'm wondering if there are any Shippies who live (or have lived) in Sweden, and especially Stockholm. Liberty and I are planning to move there in September, and we were hoping that someone might be able to give us a few tips and pointers.

Thanks all. [Smile]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If memeory serves, Off-Centre View and Frater Frag are/were both based in Sweden, though Frater Frag isn't in Stockholm. And JFH too.

Congratulations though - I loved Stockholm when I visited, and it's a place I would want to go back to sometime.

[ 19. July 2013, 15:18: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodness - you two don't half get around! All the best for the next chapter! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is an occupational hazard of my occupation. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
That is an occupational hazard of my occupation. [Hot and Hormonal]

You're a professional refugee? I'm off to Sweden for the first tomorrow. I will observe it closely and report back...
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Hah! Something like that, Firenze, yes.

And thanks kingsfold for your pointers. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do realise you're going to learn to speak Swedish, don't you? My understanding is that you get to go to mandatory Swedish classes...
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yes, I do realize that. I'm not sure that the classes are mandatory since I know other people who work at the institution I'll be at who don't appear to be forced to attend. But either way - I'd prefer to learn it since it'll make everyday life easier.

(Plus, it's the Right Thing™ to do!)

--------------------
Brian Clough

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

I had a former colleague who post-docced at Karolinska and he had to learn. Mind you, learning Swedish would be my idea of fun so...
I am just a little bit jealous, but the whole instability involved in moving every two or three years is not for me.

There may be a necessity to have a Stockholm meet. [Big Grin]

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jealous...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liberty is a Londoner, isn't she? Do I smell another excuse for a Shipmeet?
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Liberty is a Londoner, yes. We might be passing through London en route from DC to Stockholm, but we haven't finalized our plans yet. We'll add a shipmeet to the list of possibilities. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So completely jealous! I planned on emigrating after university, but met Mr Beets instead. *sigh*

Beautiful country, wonderful city. Take a boat tour around the archipelago when you need a break from unpacking and moving stress. It's more beautiful than anywhere else I've ever been. [Cool]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I participated in a conference there a couple of years ago, and thought it was beautiful. It seemed really chilled out and everyone seemed very friendly. I can imagine it would be a great place to live.

A word of warning though: if you ever get dry eyes, just go to the old town (Gamla Stan) and buy yourself a beer, the prices will soon get them watering again.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the strength of 7 days in Goteborg, I can impart the following...

Yes, it's expensive. But as far as alcohol goes, not differentially so - a beer/glass of wine/shot of aquavit seemed all to cost about the same.

When eating out, it helps if you like pasta/pizza. Of the 15 or so eateries within easy walking distance of our hotel, better than half were Italian.

If you have a thing for roller coasters, the Liseberg is worth a visit.

Queue handling seems to take a lot of time.

Pedestrians rool OK in cities. Cars would slow and stop if you so much as looked as if you might want to cross the road.

The Swedish idea of a lunchtime roll is about a yard of bread filled to capacity. We found one between two was ample.

Flavoured ciders are popular. I liked the cactus and lime.

I would go there again, if there was an opportunity to stay on the coast or in the countryside - but that needs to be planned and booked. You don't seem to be able to wander off on spec as you would in the UK and expect to find accommodation. I suspect that because summer is at best brief, Swedes seize it. It was noticeable how crowded the outdoor seating was at all the restaurants - and how frequent it was to see blankets draped over the chairs.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

- Posted      Profile for kaytee   Email kaytee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend lived in Sweden for 18 months. She said that you need an ID card to do anything in Sweden (as I recall, she couldn't even join the library without one). She had to have a permanent job before she could get an ID card. This was a few years ago though, so your experience may be different.

Apart from that, she said it was fairly painless. Most people speak very good English, to the extent that her colleagues would hold their work meetings in English to include her (although she was learning Swedish she didn't know any before she moved there).

Stockholm is beautiful, bon voyage!

--------------------
'Lying is a vital survival skill – and a terrible habit.' ~ The Doctor

Posts: 152 | From: Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

kaytee, we're moving there because I have a job, and my employers are aware that I need the residence card (or whatever it's called) so I think that won't be a problem.

But thanks for all your information (and Firenze) - most helpful. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
+1 for the jealous.
went there for work must be 7 years ago now ( [Eek!] )
Things I can remember:
there was a bar called the glenfiddich where there was a whisky that was £150 a shot.
i bought a book of tickets for the local trains, the leftovers popped up recently when we moved house, i don't expect they would be valid any more
- they liked to use wooden knives to spread things on their bread.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dated a Swedish-American girl when I was in high school and studied Svenska at university in my first year with an eye to being an exchange student at U of Lund.

Do they have motor racing on tarmac there or only on snow?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
You do realise you're going to learn to speak Swedish, don't you? My understanding is that you get to go to mandatory Swedish classes...

No you won't - Swedes learn English at age six! It would help a bit to learn pronunciation of place names and food though.

Jag vil har en smorgas med ost!

I shall have a cheese sandwich.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

No you won't - Swedes learn English at age six!

Yes, but if you're going to live in a foreign country, it's a bit rude to assume that everybody is automatically going to speak to you in your own language.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016