homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » My organ malfunctions in hot weather

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: My organ malfunctions in hot weather
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The UK is currently experiencing an official heatwave, and our 100 yr old pneumatic action organ doesn't like it. It sits high in a transept-type space, facing south with all three sides receiving direct sun during the day. The nave air temperature is currently 24'C. The wedding Widor yesterday was punctuated with a pedal cipher, and odd erratic behaviour followed today.

As emergency first aid, I've rigged up a temporary humidifier under the Great pallets - two buckets of water and a towel as a "wick". Is this likely to be of any help? I wonder if Shiply organists have any other tricks up their surplices?

Thanks

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not an organist and, anyway, our instrument's action is not pneumatic. Certainly we have tuning problems in hot (and cold) weather but that is to be expected.

For what it's worth, though, I know that we always have a bucket of water inside the organ to add humidity - although I think the "system" must be slightly more complex than that!

[ 21. July 2013, 15:46: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Humidification is almost certainly the key. You might find it more helpful to put your water buckets near the blower intake.

Is the action tubular-pneumatic, or are there some kind of electrical contacts on your pedal keys? It's possible a twisting key could cause contacts to be too close, which might cause the cypher.

You are almost certainly correct that all these things are related to the weather.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Qoheleth

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but you know you have 2 problems: lack of humidity and direct heating from bright, hot sunlight. You need three things:

First, there should be blackout blinds made for the windows around the organ - these don't have to be black but the special material absorbs the light and lowers the heating effect.

Second, you should monitor the hygrometer readings on a daily basis during this heatwave.

Third, explain the situation to the Churchwardens and get them to arrange for/ help with emergency measures such as troughs of water around the organ, to be kept topped up until the humidity returns to normal and your static humidifier can cope. (I assume you do have a humidifier fitted?)

I wouldn't advise putting anything in the organ itself - an accident waiting to happen and the proximity of such small amounts of water won't make any difference so keep it out of the workings.

What does your Diocesan Organ Advisor say? If you find them less than helpful remember there is always the Association of Independent Organ Advisors - aioa.org.uk - who I'm sure would be happy to help.

As for the ciphers, these may not be caused by the heat... [Biased]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since weather like this occurs approximately every Preston Guild, and by the time you've taken all these precautions it will be cold and wet again, why bother?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My DVD recorder can't get TV or Radio signals at the mo. either so I've lost lots of programmes.

End of tangent!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every Preston Guild for those not in the know.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I receive many emails offering to help with my malfunctioning organ -- one which, as a woman, I don't even possess. But I doubt that their remedies would be of use.

However, I see that England is ending their dry spell next weekend (when I arrive [Frown] ) which will probably be of more help.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

We can talk to the DOA and the tuners, and the weather will - undoubtedly - change in due course. It's the short-term emergency measures I need to work on, with another wedding next Saturday and Sunday services to follow. The building usually lags about a week behind the outside air temperature, both rising and falling.

To L'O, I can say that there are no windows to be blindfolded; the heat travels through the brickwork very nicely. There's never been a humidifier, but typically they only function when the blower's running.

Meanwhile, selective registration will be the order of the day. Fortunately, the absence of casework means that action is quite accessible to stop a cipher.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Q
I've never encountered a humidifier that only functions when the blower is working; rather, they have always been independent and work on the basis of an inbuilt hygrometer which sets the thing off when the humidity falls below a certain level...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

The UK is currently experiencing an official heatwave, and our 100 yr old pneumatic action organ doesn't like it. It sits high in a transept-type space, facing south with all three sides receiving direct sun during the day. The nave air temperature is currently 24'C. The wedding Widor yesterday was punctuated with a pedal cipher, and odd erratic behaviour followed today.

As emergency first aid, I've rigged up a temporary humidifier under the Great pallets - two buckets of water and a towel as a "wick". Is this likely to be of any help? I wonder if Shiply organists have any other tricks up their surplices?

Thanks

I would think LESS humidiity is in order. But by all means get an experienced organ tuner to advise you on the matter.
Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We always have problems in the late autumn when the nave heating system starts to pump out warm dry air. It's usually the pedal reeds that go out. They sound like bass kazoos. It's just something we've learned to deal with. Call your organ service person.
Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016