homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Chester Meet - August 2013

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Chester Meet - August 2013
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As discussed on the Nunc's Big Adventure thread, consensus formed around Chester as the location for a meet, sometime in August.

Preferred dates? Kingsfold suggested a weekend...

And where to meet? Someone will have to give me specific instructions; I feel somewhat nervous about making my way in completely unknown territory to a random address...

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worry not Nunc, Central Chester is remarkably compact and easy to navigate on foot. I wish I could be with you but I will have been and gone from UK long before you get there.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might be able to make Chester. Any date in August OK for me.
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in Chester the weekend of 9/10/11 August. It's a choir trip, so some of this will be taken up with rehearsals & services.

From the provisional timetable, it looks like I'm free for a proportion of Saturday up until mid-afternoon, and probably again later in the evening. So my preference would be for a daytime meet. And if anybody felt so inclined, they could pop along to the Cathedral for evensong...

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of August is good for me, apart from the 1st.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any Saturday except the 31st. So far.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Provided it's organised well in advance (need to book time off w*rk), I'm fairly free on most August weekdays, though not all Tuesdays and Thursdays. Can do most weekends, but not Friday 9th. Saturday 10th possible but a bit difficult and probably wouldn't fit with Kingsfold's availability

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're away the last weekend of August

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any day in August except the 2nd (at present).

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that since I'm fairly tight on available time in Chester, it might be wise for the you to plan something that works for the majority of the rest of you. If it works out to be the weekend I'm around, that's a bonus for me.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still OK for almost all of August, barring 1st and 25th. 2nd - 17th is best.

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday 4th and Saturday 31st are out for me; so far most other days OK.

--------------------

Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those of us travelling by train from Liverpool would prefer to avoid 10/11 August so as to avoid the dreaded rail replacement bus service between Liverpool and Birkenhead.

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you went a month earlier you could catch the Chester Mystery Plays (late June to July 13th)staged in the nave of Chester cathedral and condensed into a single drama so no need to try to catch a series of productions. Caught a smidgen of last Sunday's rehearsal and it sounds good.
Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Owen:
Those of us travelling by train from Liverpool would prefer to avoid 10/11 August so as to avoid the dreaded rail replacement bus service between Liverpool and Birkenhead.

Thanks for the warning, Peter! Actually there are no trains on the Liverpool Loop during some dates either, but I'm not sure what they are... and I can walk to James Street.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do folk think about the Saturday (24th) of the Bank Hol weekend? I assume most people can't do Sundays (the trains are rubbish then anyway) and I'm guessing you won't know your mid-week availability, Nunc, till much nearer the time.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Fine by me! (Merseyrail should be back to normal by then too)

--------------------

Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

Saturday 24 August is fine for me.

--------------------
Πετρος

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Ah - I realise the whole of that weekend is now out for me, unless something changes on the Saturday. Go for 24th if it suits more people, though.

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless something else jumps in I hope to be able to come on 24th.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

I believe there's an artisan market in Chester on that day - anybody know about that? Would we aim for lunchtime?

However, all this may be a bit premature, if Nunc isn't sure about her availability.

Nunc?

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HI folks,

my duties at the library mean I need to be there from about 4-5pm each weekday evening, and from 2pm on Sat/Sun.

So a Saturday morning would work well.

I can also do midweek quite easily, as my time will be flexible during the day. I will get one night off during the week, which I guess would mean the day either side of it would give greater flexibility too... But I won't know that until I get there.

Getting excited now! If I hadn't been sick this week, I would've been out getting hiking boots... [Smile] So I can walk in the hills.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Good news! However, you're too far away - and the weekend service is currently too bad for a Saturday or Sunday morning to be viable for me. I'll try to fix up a weekday sometime - just waiting for a big meeting with an exam board rep to be finalised.

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Ok folks. I'm here at the Library, on duty as of tomorrow.

It'd be good to lock in a date.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to be in Chester all day on Saturday 10th...if you fancy meeting for a coffee in the morning I'd be up for that?

(There is a cat show at the Northgate Arena on that date and I have entered one of the furries in it - have to get out of the show hall during the morning...)

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I can't make the 10th but don't let that put anybody off. Also that weekend is difficult for anybody coming by train from/via Liverpool because of engineering works.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Anybody fancy lunch on Wednesday 7th or Friday 23rd?

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

OK - not the 7th, then, And I'm not now sure of my availability on the 23rd. Weekends are out for me, because engineering works make the journey ridiculous. Might manage an alternaitve midweek day, if anyone else is interested, but w*rk commitments are starting to crowd in. [Frown]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

quote:
posted by St Everild:
I'm going to be in Chester all day on Saturday 10th...if you fancy meeting for a coffee in the morning I'd be up for that?

I'll be in town and would be happy to meet for coffee - I don't have to be anywhere until mid afternoon.
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
OK - not the 7th, then, And I'm not now sure of my availability on the 23rd. Weekends are out for me, because engineering works make the journey ridiculous. Might manage an alternaitve midweek day, if anyone else is interested, but w*rk commitments are starting to crowd in. [Frown]

If you are referring to Merseyrail engineering works, there are none planned after 11 August.

I'll wait and see if Nunc suggests any other dates, but as I said earlier I can't do 10th.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc? Calling Nunc....
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Hi folks, sorry - got busy and distracted! Sorry QLib, I was hoping to catch up with you... if you suggest a day, coming into Chester is no hardship to me.

Saturday 10th is good. Where do you want to meet?

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

As it seems that the three of us who might be available for a meet on Saturday are all from out of town, where do shippies who know the town suggest?
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

I've been into Chester and had a wander... probably the easiest place to meet would be Chester Cathedral - outside the entrance.

I'm wondering whether afterall we change the date to the 24th - just because it's a bit late to be organising this for tomorrow?

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

I'm not able to be with you on 24th...and I'm not sure about Kingsfold, who is without Internet access at the moment.
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

I have texted Kingsfold and said that Mr StEverild and I will be under the clock on Eastgate Street at 10.30 tomorrow morning...judging from the photographs it would be hard to miss it as it goes right across the street. I shall be wearing a purple jacket...
If no one else comes, we shall go for a coffee and we shall just have to talk to each other.

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Alrighty. I will see you at 10:30 under the clock on Eastgate St.
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

We met! We talked! We drank coffee, and jasmine tea, and chilli chai, and something else but I can't remember what...

Great to meet you both and put faces to names.

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Ditto! It was great to meet kingsfold, St Everild and Mr Everild!

Great company, great conversation, great tea.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Sorry not to come back to this thread sooner. It's been one of those weeks..

Anyhow, it was good to meet Nunc, St Everild & Mr St Everild, and lots of conversation was had. Thank you.

And I had great fun explaining to a fellow chorister that I had had coffee/tea with a bunch of mad axe murderers from the internet... [Angel]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016