homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » five, then seven, five/easy way to sound profound/a new haiku thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: five, then seven, five/easy way to sound profound/a new haiku thread
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By gracious permission of the ****s, this is a recreation of the Haiku thread. Basically, Haiku is a poem of seventeen syllables, divided into three lines of five, seven and five syllables each. There is (or need be) no rhyme scheme.

I will start with a Haiku on a specific subject, then give a further subject for the next player. S/he in turn composes a Haiku on that subject, and gives a new one...

We begin here:

The return of the Haiku

Once again I can
pretend I am a poet
by writing Haiku.

Autumn

[ 13. February 2013, 15:56: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well that sets the bar high!... distilling such a beautiful time into 17 syllables... well, here goes.

Clear yellow sunlight
Orange, gold, scarlet glowing leaves
Worshipful silence

evening

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The heat of the day
dissolves into humid night.
Do I hear a storm?

Edited to add:

How about Breakfast?

[ 25. September 2012, 19:04: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weetabix are nice
If you like that kind of thing.
I prefer toast though.

Flooding

[Code tweak. iF. [Smile] ]

[ 25. September 2012, 19:14: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trees duplicated
in grey and spreading waters
reflecting the sky.

Cats at rest

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I read this prompt at the very moment that my cat was settling on my lap!

Circling and circling
then nestling in, coiled warmly,
weight of fur, purring.

boiling kettle

--------------------
Pondering.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
water on the leaves
swirling in the cup, steeping
tea cures everything

travel

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
travel

pictures on my wall:
vivid tapestry of dreams
I found - far from home.

An old book

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
old friend on the shelf
page opens to fav'rite part
leads to other worlds

the newspaper

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An old book

Musty dusty smell
Worn cover, crackly pages
Joy, comfort

Zoo

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Sorry; cross-post while I was composing! [Hot and Hormonal] )

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going with The Newspaper

First headlines then the
Sudoku and the cricket,
exchange rates are last.

Zoo

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Baby panda-yay!
New life is so very sweet
Oh no, she is dead

Cherry blossoms

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Washington D.C.
Has them just at the right time:
It's tourist season!

A choir that sings old Irish and Scottish music and has my wife and I as members.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perfect harmony
in Celtic mode, a choir in
California.

Bank ATM

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gimme my money!
I push all the right buttons,
"insufficient funds"

contamination

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Mitt Romney sat in
this chair some time ago; wash
everything in bleach!

computers

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They held one up and
said: “The silicone chip will
change your life.” It did.

songbirds

[ 26. September 2012, 06:51: Message edited by: QLib ]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trilling their hearts out
Marking time through busy lives
Songbirds sing life's tunes

stormy weather

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shadowed horizon
darkness of looming cloudmass
chill in my marrow.

dawn

--------------------
Pondering.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Groggily I watch
the sky lighten in the east;
next toothpaste on brush.

Coming home in the evening and cooking supper

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
weary homecoming;
the bubbling stove, aroma
of life revives me

the white cliffs of Dover

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The crumbling ramparts,
the chalky battlements of
once proud Albion!

your favourite hot beverage

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
Hot peppermint tea
Or camomile and honey
Always revives me.

Ferry delays

[ 26. September 2012, 11:07: Message edited by: Morlader ]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

The French on strike? or...
turbulent sea? We groan and
play chess in the car.

victory celebration in sport

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

We are the champions
Is the cry of victory
in football or rugby, but
never in cricket.

Drama teacher

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Imagine you're a
tree growing in a garden;
move to show me that.

Drama Queen

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OMG, so, like
I totally slipped and, like, fell
Gimmie sympathy

broken glass

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm sorry, mum, it
just slipped out of my hand, we
weren't playing, honest!

DVD player

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sorry about the last effort - forgot to count lines and syllables!

DVD player

Just insert a disc -
various worlds will open
expanding your mind.

large, long legged spider

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

crawl over my hand,
my friend. I like you, because
certain people don't.

Neil Armstrong

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

One small step, my friend,
is how we will remember
you - be now at peace.

Spanish omelette

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Vegetarian
delight, always provided
the ham is left out.

Jane Austen

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Romantic fiction:
don't despise it. That would be
Pride and Prejudice.

Walking by the Seine

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Notre Dame at dusk,
pinkish light; riverbank trees
darken and rustle.

rain

[ 26. September 2012, 20:12: Message edited by: Cara ]

--------------------
Pondering.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Rain in Banbury
has continued for too long;
please give us a break.

falling leaves

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

golden confetti
drifts lazily down, summer's
gentle parting gift

The Taj Mahal

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Pollution is now
yellowing your white marble
as stately you stand.

River Nile

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ancient Big Muddy:
North Africa's carotid
pumps life through the sand.

floods

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

spring's last snows melting
the small flow runs over now
a roof beam on shore

full moon

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Baleful disc shining
shows it's that time of the month.
Listen to me howl.

puddles

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Splashing through mirrors
left carelessly by rain – I
reflect pools of joy.

dawn

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Later and later
each morning now, daybreak's light
banishes darkness.

stream

[ 27. September 2012, 07:28: Message edited by: Cara ]

--------------------
Pondering.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As rippling onwards
across the delta you head
towards the ocean.

reading glasses

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

shapes fill with meaning,
soft and swimming turns to sharp;
so that's what it says!

The Scream by Edvard Munch

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Mouth open, hands on
cheeks; I did not think it was
really that funny.

internet discussion boards

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

One board is restless,
interesting, and quirky -
Can you guess which one?

Botulism

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

my mouth is dry; things
dance in twos. I retch. I sink
into deadly rest

A lonely lighthouse

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Standing alone with
radar and foghorn and light beam;
saving sailors lives.

AK-47

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Simplest of firearms;
bringer of revolutions-
a Communist plot.

Are You Being Served?

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016