homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Scotland Yard and Diana's 'accident'

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Scotland Yard and Diana's 'accident'
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is THIS another case of 'here we go again, more tabloid sensationalism on The Anniversary of St Diana'? Or might it just be 'I told you so!' and could turn into a very big story?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Is THIS another case of 'here we go again, more tabloid sensationalism on The Anniversary of St Diana'?

If it looks like a duck...

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
quote:
Is THIS another case of 'here we go again, more tabloid sensationalism on The Anniversary of St Diana'?

If it looks like a duck...
Problem is, though I believe it was a horrible accident - believing also that the speeding was in reaction to the swarm of paparazzi tailgating the car, and they should have been liable for contributing to the crash - there are many people who do believe the 'establishment was involved and to them the 'duck' looks like conspiracy to murder not an accident sensationalised into one.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Edwina Currie was interviewed on Broadcasting House this morning - she said something along the lines of what's to explain: drunk driver, speeding to avoid the paparazzi that she'd tipped off and no seatbelt.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was the Duke of Edinburgh in the underpass with a 12-bore. Everyone knows that.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Yup, that's the simplest and most obvious explanation. It's a shame that the paparazzi weren't held in some way accountable. What this 'new' story reveals is a base need to blame someone.

Earl Spencer was right, the paparazzi did hound her to death - but you and EC are correct, she did court them a little bit too much.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, as big as the grassy knoll.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, not again. Dig her up and put her decomposed corpse on This Morning. Maybe then we'll leave her alone.
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They should have worn seat belts.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Earwigo aggen.

From the article,
quote:
"It is understood the allegation was made by the former parents-in-law of a former soldier based on information that the ex-soldier talked about in the past..."
sounds like a novel way of getting your own back on someone you think has let your daughter down.

quote:
"The hearing into the deaths of Diana and Dodi lasted more than 90 days with evidence from around 250 witnesses."
It seems to me that a person has to have a paranoiac need to believe in conspiracy theories still to think any explanation other than the generally accepted one is of any worth at all.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can imagine that a soldier might say something like that as a joke. Especially as the SAS is supposed to be very close about what they did, and I would assume that something of that sort would require even greater closeness than usual.

What is it that we aren't supposed to be looking at?

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why on earth would 'the establishment' want to rub her out? Especially since, at the time of her death she was involved (yet again) with a man who was supposed to be in a relationship with someone else (he was engaged to Kelly Fisher)...

Mr Fayed junior was squiring her about - yes, probably at the suggestion of his father who was embroiled in a nasty scandal at the time involving brown envelopes, Conservative MPs and being turned down for British citizenship (he is still no a UK national). Far be it for anyone to suggest that a supposed relationship between his son and the ex-wife of the heir to the throne might just give the owner of Harrods the tiniest little hint of schadenfreude - I mean, the man had previously behaved with an innocence purer than a newborn lamb, hadn't he?

Mr Fayed and Diana, Princess of Wales, died because they were in a car being driven by someone well over the drink-drive limit: contributory factors were excessive speed, their not wearing seatbelts and a foolish attempt to outrun photographers on motor-cycles through the Paris traffic.

As for Mr Fayed senior, perhaps his persistent attempts to put the blame on somewhere well away from himself stem from the fact that HE was the person who ordered that particular individual to drive, despite the fact that they were not licensed to be in charge of that particular type of vehicle and disregarding the fact that at the time the couple left the hotel he had been on duty for over 14 hours.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many people have died on the road since Aug 97 ? And how many of those through absolutely no fault of their own ?
Have the Police and media really got nothing better to do than to dig this friggin story up again and again.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I didn't know that, that it was Al Fayed senior's call to put an exhausted drunk in the driving seat.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personal prejudice is involved here, but I fervently hope to live to an age where the meedja are no longer regularly reporting further glurge concerning Anna Nicole Smith, Michael Jackson, and Diana-the-People's-Princess.

Of course, that will undoubtedly also mean that Civilization (So-Called) As We Know It will have come to an end, so I suppose I should be more cautious about what I wish for.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

You wait until next March - there'll be reports that they're opening an investigation into a miscarriage of justice that led to the execution of a religious leader in AD33...

...conspiracy I call it.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a photo of the Queen and Prince Philip being driven to church today; neither are wearing seatbelts. Am I right in thinking that the Royals often don't wear seatbelts?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I appreciate, of course, that there's a big difference between a sedate official drive and a high-speed drive through Paris.)
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot help wondering whether Mohammed al Fayed's motivation in all of this is guilt - if he can only find somebody else to blame, that will absolve him of responsibility for instructing that particular individual to drive ...

You pays your money, you takes your choice. I can remember at the time it being said that if Diana and Dodi had been wearing seatbelts, they would have survived, as did their bodyguard who was wearing a seatbelt. Alcohol, a fast car, a confined tunnel and concrete walls - it's a lethal cocktail. I don't think there is any need to try to add to it.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
there are many people who do believe the 'establishment was involved and to them the 'duck' looks like conspiracy to murder not an accident sensationalised into one.

Yes, and their brethren are running around claiming that 9/11 was an inside job, based on some rather strongly flawed "engineering" calculations and their desire to be important.

It's crap, plain and simple.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argona:
Oh no, not again. Dig her up and put her decomposed corpse on This Morning. Maybe then we'll leave her alone.

There is no corpse. She was cremated at Blisworth Crematorium near Northampton on the Thursday night before the funeral.

The crematorium was in operation that night (1st time ever in an evening) and there was a heavy police presence in the area.

She can't be buried on the island in the lake (or rather the coffin can but her body can't). It's against English law to inter a body that may disrupt or pollute a water course or source.

At a pinch, if she wasn't cremated, then she's buried in the family vault at the church. The area around the vault showed signs of disturbance for months afterwards.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

There is no corpse. She was cremated at Blisworth Crematorium near Northampton on the Thursday night before the funeral.

The crematorium was in operation that night (1st time ever in an evening) and there was a heavy police presence in the area.

She can't be buried on the island in the lake (or rather the coffin can but her body can't). It's against English law to inter a body that may disrupt or pollute a water course or source.

At a pinch, if she wasn't cremated, then she's buried in the family vault at the church. The area around the vault showed signs of disturbance for months afterwards.

Nonsense! I heard she was having an affair with Elvis Presley in the moon landing studio.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather suspect that the police want to be seen as having investigated fully, and not having to endure further speculation on the subject.

A Muslim friend of mine once said that he thought she was killed to avoid the risk of a Muslim king - wrong, becuase she was not herself royal.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:

Well I've never heard this before! LOL
My goodness what a palaver.
Anyway, AFAIUI, the lake is neither a water course or source. Does it feed into a stream or river? Do they draw water out of it?

The coffin is lead-lined I believe.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is this story constantly rehashed? The lady is dead and it is time to move on. Constantly resurrecting the incident must be painful for the families concerned and achieves nothing other than sell newspapers.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]
Well I've never heard this before! LOL
My goodness what a palaver.
Anyway, AFAIUI, the lake is neither a water course or source. Does it feed into a stream or river? Do they draw water out of it?

The coffin is lead-lined I believe.

You are perfectly entitled to bury anyone in/on your own property, according to English law.It must be notified to the local environmental health dept and recorded on the deeds of the property.

The lake may not be a water source but it is still illegal to bury any coffin in such an environment. As for lead lined, well the way they were swinging it around and carrying it about suggests that it wasn't lead lined at all. It was a casket and thus several times heavier than the standard coffin - veneered chipboard.

I lived in Northants at the time of the funeral. I can vouch for the fact that the Crem. was in operation that Thursday. 2 + 2 not equalling 4? Perhaps but there's no record of where the royal family were that night. The disturbance in the family tomb in Great Brington suggests the ashes were buried there.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
As for lead lined, well the way they were swinging it around and carrying it about suggests that it wasn't lead lined at all. It was a casket and thus several times heavier than the standard coffin - veneered chipboard.

Are you kidding?!
That coffin was heavy! It took 8 military blokes and they were struggling.

See Here and you'll see not them swinging the coffin around but swaying under the weight.

[ 19. August 2013, 13:22: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

God, it still brings tears to the eyes.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not again please . What happened to Princess Diana shouldn't have happened . It was a lousy accident.So file the case under CLOSED please new Scotland Yard . Thank you and let the lady rest in peace

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Why is this story constantly rehashed? The lady is dead and it is time to move on. Constantly resurrecting the incident must be painful for the families concerned and achieves nothing other than sell newspapers.

The last clause answers your question, doesn't it?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Veering slightly off topic, isn't putting a lead lined coffin in a water course / source potentially more dangerous that putting a body in there?

[ 20. August 2013, 07:11: Message edited by: The Phantom Flan Flinger ]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From a French legislative perspective, as far as know if the coffin crosses the equivalent of county lines it must be lead-lined. So I expect that one was.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clemency
Shipmate
# 16173

- Posted      Profile for Clemency   Author's homepage   Email Clemency   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as one who has some experience of lead coffins (from the outside) they can result in unfortunate accidents. Recently I was involved in re-opening a vault in which a prominent member of the 18th century aristocracy (in his 70s) and his 20-year old mistress had been interred. Her coffin had been intact when the vault was last reopened a hundred years ago, but since then it had exploded, scattering the mortal remains of he poor lass all over the vault. I have heard that whilst excavations were being carried out in York Minster some years ago a lead coffin 'blew'and made an awful mess. I guess decomposition happens, and pressure builds..

with that, to breakfast

--------------------
Who knows where the Time goes?

Posts: 90 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

To be honest I wondered at the reasoning behind it - I mean, I thought the whole point of interment in the ground was for decomposition. Why put the body in an airtight lead box?

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The point on this side of the Channel, as far as I know, was that of preventing the spread of infectious disease. Hence the requirement if the coffin crossed county boundaries. Of course this harks back to an earlier era, but that's where it stems from.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016