homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Looking for suitable church in London

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Looking for suitable church in London
BCP Believer
Apprentice
# 17815

- Posted      Profile for BCP Believer   Email BCP Believer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello there I will be visiting London soon. Please recommend a church.

No specific requirements but preferably not: Anglo Papalist, New Wine, Vineyard, nonliturgical, six candles, Common Worship, cottas, Mission Praise, New perspectives on Paul, Affirming Catholicism, and also with you.

Mary stuff and vox populi not ideal.

Church of England essential. Large print hymnal desirable.

Thanks for the help. Nice to be with you.

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not very picky are you? Maybe one of the chapels royal or the Temple Church, the latter in Fleet Street nigh unto the Inns of Court. You could also just do the 10:00 a.m. Choral Mattins at the Abbey, if you don't require a Eucharist.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Vox populi not ideal'?? Can you explain?

What about St Michael's Cornhill in the City? Very conservative 'high church but not anglocatholic'. In vacancy at present and they use an idiosyncratic version of the BCP Communion Service, but if you just want the words without being fussed about the order they come in (the Eric Morecambe rite?) it might suit.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am not clear if the church you are looking for has to be BCP? If yes, then you could also try St Michael Cornhil or St James Garlikhythe (both in the City) St Simon Zelotes near Sloane Square, or Christ Church Kensington, or Holy Trinity Prince Consort Road, or St Giles in the Fields All these churches have professional choirs.

Quite a few parishes use a modern shape but with traditional language: St Marylebone, St Mary Abbott, St Bride's Fleet St., St Mark Regents Park., St John's Wood all without the big six.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BCP Believer, do you really think we're so stupid that we wouldn't notice you try and sneak back in under a different identity?

Now go away and play somewhere else.

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I popped into St Simon Zelotes some five years ago on a weekday and it seemed to be going a bit Holy Trinity Brompton. In which case BCP lover would do best to avoid it.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I popped into St Simon Zelotes some five years ago on a weekday and it seemed to be going a bit Holy Trinity Brompton. In which case BCP lover would do best to avoid it.

I think its Sunday evening service is going that way too - a curious combination of BCP Evening Prayer with worship songs - but the morning service is still very traditional BCP Matins/Eucharist sung to settings, Chanted Psalm, Robed Choir traditional hymns.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As the sockpuppet who started this thread is no longer in a position to respond, I'm closing this thread.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016