homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » So what exactly do you expect us to do? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: So what exactly do you expect us to do?
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here ExclamationMark - http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000516;p=2#000054 and here EtymologicalEvangelical http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=018317;p=2#000074 blame liberal theology for killing the church.

Fine.

But what do you expect and want us liberals to do? What exactly should I do, given that I want to be a follower of Jesus but do not, in my heart of hearts, really believe in things like the Virgin Birth, the divine authorship of Scripture, the physical Resurrection, the historicity of Moses etc. etc.? It's not that I believe that the above examples are false, it's just that I don't believe with any confidence that they are true, and therefore I need to work out my faith in a way that it is not destroyed if these things do indeed turn out to be untrue - to put it another way, if my faith is only as sure as my confidence in the Virgin Birth, then it's pretty weak.

So, what do you want us to do? Pretend we really believe things we don't? Stop coming to church? Just shut up? Stop calling ourselves Christian? Fuck off and die?

I really want to know.

[ 10. September 2013, 08:40: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Here ExclamationMark - http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000516;p=2#000054 and here EtymologicalEvangelical http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=018317;p=2#000074 blame liberal theology for killing the church.

Fine.

But what do you expect and want us liberals to do? What exactly should I do, given that I want to be a follower of Jesus but do not, in my heart of hearts, really believe in things like the Virgin Birth, the divine authorship of Scripture, the physical Resurrection, the historicity of Moses etc. etc.? It's not that I believe that the above examples are false, it's just that I don't believe with any confidence that they are true, and therefore I need to work out my faith in a way that it is not destroyed if these things do indeed turn out to be untrue - to put it another way, if my faith is only as sure as my confidence in the Virgin Birth, then it's pretty weak.

So, what do you want us to do? Pretend we really believe things we don't? Stop coming to church? Just shut up? Stop calling ourselves Christian? Fuck off and die?

I really want to know.

Imho, the onus is not on you to do anything, Karl. [Smile]

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+14&version=NIV

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reckon we've just got to sit tight until the modernists grow up and abandon their White Queen approach to belief.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What exactly should I do, given that I want to be a follower of Jesus but do not, in my heart of hearts, really believe in things like the Virgin Birth, the divine authorship of Scripture, the physical Resurrection, the historicity of Moses etc. etc.? It's not that I believe that the above examples are false, it's just that I don't believe with any confidence that they are true, and therefore I need to work out my faith in a way that it is not destroyed if these things do indeed turn out to be untrue - to put it another way, if my faith is only as sure as my confidence in the Virgin Birth, then it's pretty weak.

What do you think it means to be a follower of Jesus without believing in his Virgin Birth or Resurrection? Also, how will these things turn out to be untrue? I mean, at what point will you consider it proven that they are untrue?

[ 10. September 2013, 09:50: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Plique-à-jour:
quote:
What exactly should I do, given that I want to be a follower of Jesus but do not, in my heart of hearts, really believe in things like the Virgin Birth, the divine authorship of Scripture, the physical Resurrection, the historicity of Moses etc. etc.? It's not that I believe that the above examples are false, it's just that I don't believe with any confidence that they are true, and therefore I need to work out my faith in a way that it is not destroyed if these things do indeed turn out to be untrue - to put it another way, if my faith is only as sure as my confidence in the Virgin Birth, then it's pretty weak.

What do you think it means to be a follower of Jesus without believing in his Virgin Birth or Resurrection? Also, how will these things turn out to be untrue? I mean, at what point will you consider it proven that they are untrue?
I do not think being a follower of Jesus is about signing up to a series of propositions about him. I do not expect any of these propositions to be proven or unproven at any point; my point is that I do not know whether they are true or not but do not want my discipleship (such as it is) to be only as strong as my confidence that they are, which is very weak.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The conversions described in Acts (Pentecost, Ethiopian eunuch, Cornelius) all show people understanding the story of Christ's death and resurrection. Maybe go through those verses and try to understand what the basics of Christian belief were for the early believers.

I'm not sure why you define lack of belief in the Resurrection as "liberal" though.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Plique-à-jour:
quote:

I do not think being a follower of Jesus is about signing up to a series of propositions about him. I do not expect any of these propositions to be proven or unproven at any point; my point is that I do not know whether they are true or not but do not want my discipleship (such as it is) to be only as strong as my confidence that they are, which is very weak.
This is very interesting, thank you. I can't think what to say at the moment, though I think I do want to say something. I shall post later.

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
The conversions described in Acts (Pentecost, Ethiopian eunuch, Cornelius) all show people understanding the story of Christ's death and resurrection. Maybe go through those verses and try to understand what the basics of Christian belief were for the early believers.

So, in answer to K:LB's original question, you want the liberals to stop being liberals and become proper Christians, is that right? I'm not sure that's helpful...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
qb]

So, in answer to K:LB's original question, you want the liberals to stop being liberals and become proper Christians, is that right? I'm not sure that's helpful... [/QUOTE]

I'm saying that those stories don't include anything about the virgin birth, Moses, etc. so maybe the basics might be more acceptable to him.

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do not think being a follower of Jesus is about signing up to a series of propositions about him.

Well, I dunno ... "My Lord and my God!"? (Thomas). And "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life ...no-one comes to the Father except through me." Don't blame me, I didn't say it. [Razz] It's Jesus who is being all spiky and uncompromising-like here ... Although I certainly don't think this means He requires everybody to tick every single doctrinal thing on the box. Christ is far more generous and understanding than many who claim to follow Him. But if He isn't the one who changes everything - including death itself - then I see no point to Christianity at all. Take away Christ's most startling, difficult, downright weird claims about Himself and you're left with ... well, what, just another nice guy? [Confused]

FWIW, I certainly wouldn't want liberals 'driven out' of the church. I'm no fan of rigid fundamentalism, which crushes people spiritually, emotionally and intellectually, and there are strands of liberalism which perhaps evangelicals (for example) can and should fruitfully dialogue with.

quote:
I do not expect any of these propositions to be proven or unproven at any point; my point is that I do not know whether they are true or not but do not want my discipleship (such as it is) to be only as strong as my confidence that they are, which is very weak.

I sometimes wonder, "is all this just a beautiful fairytale I tell myself to ward off the bleakness of an indifferent universe, a lie I tell myself in the face of my own mortality?" I can hardly be the only Christian, evangelical or any other flavour, who wonders that. [Cool]

I also think those kinds of hard questions can strengthen faith, rather than weaken it. One of my favourite sayings in the Gospels is the father who said to Jesus, "Lord, I do believe ... help Thou my unbelief." I relate.

And to this: "I believe in Christ and confess him not like some child; my hosanna has passed through an enormous furnace of doubt." (Dostoevsky).

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
laurelin wrote
quote:
I sometimes wonder, "is all this just a beautiful fairytale I tell myself to ward off the bleakness of an indifferent universe, a lie I tell myself in the face of my own mortality?" I can hardly be the only Christian, evangelical or any other flavour, who wonders that. [Cool]
And is that enough? Is the beauty of your fairytale, like the beauty a physicist might see in a set of equations (each to their own), a suggestion that the fairytale is true?

We might have to wrangle the word true around for a bit, but is this enough to build a life on, and to motivate the search for direction and fulfilment?

I'm edging towards a yes to these questions.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm saying that those stories don't include anything about the virgin birth, Moses, etc. so maybe the basics might be more acceptable to him.

But Karl also said he can't give strong assent to Jesus' physical resurrection, which (as you said) is a key part of those conversion accounts in Acts. So I don't see how reading those accounts will help Karl at this time with this issue.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But what do you expect and want us liberals to do? What exactly should I do, given that I want to be a follower of Jesus but do not, in my heart of hearts, really believe in things like the Virgin Birth, the divine authorship of Scripture, the physical Resurrection, the historicity of Moses etc. etc.?

For me it's not important what you "believe", but what you do. Does a liberal approach to Christianity allow you to be a Christian, when a conservative approach would make you walk away? If that's the case, then stay where you are (or rather, don't - go and follow Him).
For me it comes down to two questions - do my beliefs help me to do what Jesus wanted from me? and do they help me to recommend Jesus to the rest of the world? For liberals I think the emphasis is on the first question. "Hating the sin" in the way it's often practised by conservatives is not what Jesus had in mind, I believe. On the other hand, I can't subscribe to the theology of PSA, but it does seem to convince many to come to church; so is it such a bad thing for others to preach?

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure what the problem is, really. I know Christians who see the resurrection as a spiritual thing, and indeed, some who see it as a symbolic thing.

I suppose others might then doubt their faith. So what? That's a problem for them, isn't it?

It sounds like more guilt to me. Stop worrying about what other people expect you to do.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But that was for the early believers. 2000 years ago. 100 generations of Christian ago. Haven't we had more time to reflect on these events since then and develop our understanding of what happened and what it meant?

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

But Karl also said he can't give strong assent to Jesus' physical resurrection, which (as you said) is a key part of those conversion accounts in Acts. So I don't see how reading those accounts will help Karl at this time with this issue.
I'm not sure if Karl strictly needs help. ISTM (although obviously, he can speak for himself) that he believes what he believes, and is just being intellectually honest about it. The way people spring out of the woodwork to advise him on some other route to offering obedient assent to propositions which he considers dubious at best is an insult to that honesty.

The issue, such as it is, is with the people who believe (ha!) that liberals/liberalism is responsible for all the church's ills. They blame them for all sorts of things, but just like this thread, never seem to offer an alternative except for "Have you tried not being a liberal? Why don't you try just believing?"

And I'm sure there are lots of clever tricks that can be pulled to show a correlation between liberal churches and shrinking congregations, but that doesn't demonstrate causation, and ignores the obvious fact that when the population in general and people who've left religion in particular are asked about it, it's the church's backward conservatism that's criticised.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
And is that enough? Is the beauty of your fairytale, like the beauty a physicist might see in a set of equations (each to their own), a suggestion that the fairytale is true?

I like your equation with physics. [Smile] A lot. [Cool]

You're right: a fairytale wouldn't be enough. Not nearly enough. An imaginative work of fiction like 'The Lord of the Rings' inspires my imagination and moves me on a deep level, but it wasn't LotR I was thinking of when I sat by my dying friend's bedside last year. I needed a hell of a lot more than a fictional world to get me through my friend's death.

Books, poems and music do help a lot, actually, they're soul-food, but faith - in the face of the impossible - offers a deeper foundation, I humbly submit. One must also face objective reality. Once someone's dead, they're dead. Which is why I also believe in the miracle of resurrection.

quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
For me it's not important what you "believe", but what you do. Does a liberal approach to Christianity allow you to be a Christian, when a conservative approach would make you walk away? If that's the case, then stay where you are (or rather, don't - go and follow Him).

For me it comes down to two questions - do my beliefs help me to do what Jesus wanted from me? and do they help me to recommend Jesus to the rest of the world?

I like this too. [Cool]

Scolding people for having doubts hardly seems productive, at any rate. [Help]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For me it's not important what you "believe", but what you do.

For me, scripture appears to clearly demand both, in concert. The famous command "believe and be baptised and you will be saved" is not one or the other, it is both. First comes belief, and the act of faith comes out of that belief. Believing without being doing anything about it is not sufficient, and going through the motions of Christianity and doing all the right things without any personal belief is equally pointless.

Lots of people who cannot accept all of the claims of Christianity, may still want to explore their faith through Christianity's framework. I think such a position is perfectly okay and there should be a secure and welcoming place made for them in every church. But IMO such 'Christian agnostics', or 'Christian seekers', should not be given positions of leadership and theological influence within the church until they feel they are able to place their confidence (even without evidence, and even in the midst of intellectual doubt) in the claims and ministry of Jesus.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

But believe doesn't mean assent to propositions (as if that were under voluntary control). It means give your allegiance to. We join up with Jesus, we enlist, we subscribe, we pledge allegiance to, we self-identify with, we idolise him, make him our hero, and worship him. That's belief, not holding some opinion about post-burial shenanigans.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
But believe doesn't mean assent to propositions (as if that were under voluntary control). It means give your allegiance to. We join up with Jesus, we enlist, we subscribe, we pledge allegiance to, we self-identify with, we idolise him, make him our hero, and worship him. That's belief, not holding some opinion about post-burial shenanigans.

This.

--------------------

S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the problem with liberal Christianity, which Karl seems to be witnessing, is a tendency to over-intellectualize. Christianity isn't a check list of propositions, it's a journey with fellow Christians (note that I don't say 'fellow believers', as I don't think that belief, as commonly understood, is what makes a Christian). When one says 'I believe in one God, etc', it doesn't mean that, having considered each of the propositions individually, I have concluded that they are more likely to be true than not. That's essentially a modern way of thinking and isn't really the way religion, whether Christianity, Islam, or Hinduism, works. What I mean is that this is the narrative in which I consider myself and my community to be placed. For Christians, it is specifically a narrative of salvation, and the community is a universal one.

So, the solution may be to live as if you didn't doubt. I don't mean by this that you should be intellectually dishonest. I'll make an analogy. If one says that one's partner is the most beautiful man/woman in the world, this does not mean that, upon the consideration of all human beings currently living, one has concluded that one's partner most closely matches normative standards of physical attractiveness. It isn't really that sort of claim at all. It's relational, rather than intellectual. And, for the good of one's relationship, one had better damn act as if one believed firmly and truly, even if one does occasionally doubt and wander.

Shipmate
# 76

You mean like treating the elements of the Eucharist as if it really were the body and blood of Christ whilst one actually holds that that is a pious fiction which is helpful for maintaining due reverence but isn't actually literally true?

[I know I'm going to get flak for that one...]

But my question isn't really about our private devotional (or otherwise) lives; it's about the way that I get the distinct feeling that some people want us to not exist, to magically believe as they do, or if we can't do that to stop infesting "their" churches with our wishy-washy faithlessness.

[ 10. September 2013, 11:36: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You mean like treating the elements of the Eucharist as if it really were the body and blood of Christ whilst one actually holds that that is a pious fiction which is helpful for maintaining due reverence but isn't actually literally true?

[I know I'm going to get flak for that one...]

Yes. In my experience, belief stems from devotion more than vice versa. I think that is probably a good thing, on the whole.

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This.
But how do you know who or what you're giving allegiance to?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, what do you want us to do? Pretend we really believe things we don't? Stop coming to church? Just shut up? Stop calling ourselves Christian? Fuck off and die? I really want to know.

Three things.

First, I assume the basis of your faith is not believing in something, but rather in Someone. Jesus Christ. I would ask you then to consider extending that principle from the Head, Christ, to the body, the Church. In terms of my own Church then, it is not that you put a few hundred checkmarks behind various dogmas, and then you decide that you should join the RCC. Rather, you first decide that the RCC is where it's at, and then you start working your way through the hundreds of dogmas as necessary. This can be a quite slow process, and indeed one where you get bogged down in doubt a lot. But the point here really is quite the same as with Christ. While of course your decision to follow Christ is in part based on what He taught, it should not be the case that you keep some kind of score card with Christ having a hundred agreement points and say Buddha only eighty, and therefore you are a Christian for now. Rather, at some point in considering you had to say "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life; and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God." (John 6:68-69) and from that point onward things that do not sit well with you (like the "cannibalistic" teaching in John 6 for the assembled Jews) become a difficulty, they are no longer a block. I suggest to you that the Church, the body of Christ, deserves the very same attitude. Hence problems of dogma in some sense defuse. You have to work these things out, if they are important to you, of course. But they are no longer the criteria by which you determine where you belong. Find first whom you will follow - Head and body, one Person - then worry about how you will do it.

Second, I urge you to reconsider yourself as a creature of habit. I still think Pascal has put this old wisdom in a form most accessible to moderns.
quote:
Blaise Pascal "Pensées" (public domain)
252. For we must not misunderstand ourselves; we are as much automatic as intellectual; and hence it comes that the instrument by which conviction is attained is not demonstrated alone. How few things are demonstrated! Proofs only convince the mind. Custom is the source of our strongest and most believed proofs. It bends the automaton, which persuades the mind without its thinking about the matter. Who has demonstrated that there will be a tomorrow and that we shall die? And what is more believed? It is, then, custom which persuades us of it; it is custom that makes so many men Christians; custom that makes them Turks, heathens, artisans, soldiers, etc. (Faith in baptism is more received among Christians than among Turks.) Finally, we must have recourse to it when once the mind has seen where the truth is, in order to quench our thirst, and steep ourselves in that belief, which escapes us at every hour; for always to have proofs ready is too much trouble. We must get an easier belief, which is that of custom, which, without violence, without art, without argument, makes us believe things and inclines all our powers to this belief, so that our soul falls naturally into it. It is not enough to believe only by force of conviction, when the automaton is inclined to believe the contrary. Both our parts must be made to believe, the mind by reasons which it is sufficient to have seen once in a lifetime, and the automaton by custom, and by not allowing it to incline to the contrary. Inclina cor meum, Deus. [Ps. 119. 36. "Incline my heart, O Lord."]

The reason acts slowly, with so many examinations and on so many principles, which must be always present, that at every hour it falls asleep, or wanders, through want of having all its principles present. Feeling does not act thus; it acts in a moment, and is always ready to act. We must then put our faith in feeling; otherwise it will be always vacillating.

Please note that Pascal is not saying that we should make ourselves believe against reason. However, he is saying that we cannot constantly reason our faith. Our reason is just not a steadfast device that will reliably and quickly provide the same answer to the same question. If you keep throwing your faith at reason, it will dissolve. But not necessarily because you have somehow advanced in your considerations. Rather because soon enough reason will fail you, and if you then take every time you queried your reason on some matter on equal footing, you will conclude that reason just cannot decide. Instead you should occasionally try hard to really reason as good as you can, and then based on that decide what habits to acquire, which will then pull you through everyday life. And one acquires habits by repeated actions. So one you have reasoned where you want to go, you should use regular rhythms of specific action - "rituals" - to get you there. Some of them you will find ready-made on offer from the Church, others you should custom-design for your own circumstance.

Third, I would ask you to consider importance first, then truth, and where you see little importance to be generous about demanding the truth. It would of course be brilliant if faith was laid out for us in a few dozen bullet points, to all of which we assent heartily, and then that's that. In that case we do not need to make any distinctions, because there are none for us. But this is hardly the normal situation. Normally, there will be certain things of faith that are deeply important to us, others which we find somewhat interesting and again others that we find neither here nor there. And these are not the same for different people. Now, if something is a core issue of faith to you, then clearly that issue requires the truth and nothing but the truth. It would be immoral to not follow up on this, no matter where one ends. However, what about the less important stuff, or even the total side issues? Is it good to dig into those with the same intensity? Who profits from demanding the perfect answer there? Perhaps we can simply let go of this, let it be as it may be, until perhaps one day it does become important to us. That sort of relates to the difference between following something or someone I mentioned as my first point. If we live with someone in a relationship, we do not need to resolve obsessively each and every issue of potential disagreement. Clearly, if there's an issue that seriously disrupts the relationship, then that needs addressing. But a statement of the form "I really don't care about X, but I think you are doing it wrong" tends to be unhelpful. Sometimes it is wise to let things go. In religion it is similar. If we try to make it all fit, none of it will. Have a cupboard of faith where you can stuff things that are not required, and let them gather dust there in peace.

So to make a practical application of this, let's return to the Virgin Birth, which you find problematic. First, do you actually care? Is this really something that currently is of considerable importance to your faith? If not, then I suggest to just leave it be. But truly leave it be. So do not consider it as a hindrance to be part of this or that Church or group who has that doctrine, because then you are not leaving it be. OK, let's say you cannot do that, this actually for some reason matters to you. Whether that is because it after all touches some spiritual nerve, or possibly because the Church or group you are in is really insisting on this with you. Well then I ask about your grounds of believing. Sure, it is nice if you can convince yourself personally from say scripture study that this miracle occurred. But maybe that's not happening. However, consider also that you may believe in this because you believe in Someone. Perhaps you are greatly troubled at the saying, and consider in your mind what sort of doctrine this might be, but nevertheless can say to your Church or group "Behold, I am a valet of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." Finally, if you somehow have come to the point where your best reason suggests that it is both important and correct for you to believe in the Virgin Birth, then study the relevant scripture verses, find a picture of the Annunciation, meditate on the miracle before it regularly and pray a Magnificat, light a candle in Church on the Feast of Annunciation. Or whatever. Basically, get busy, until you habituate this belief (since you have decided that you want to).

These are the things that I would want you to consider.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

While that is true in part, I think its more helpful to realise that belief includes both allegience to, and knowledge of. Without assenting to the propositions of Christianity about Jesus then who are we putting our faith in?.

Our belief in Jesus needs to be firmly rooted in the reality of the actual historical man who lived, died and rose again. Belief in Jesus has to mean not only belief in the ideas that Jesus represents, but also belief in certain facts about Jesus. That He was God, that He was sinless, that he was born as a man among His people as one of us, that He died for the World, and that He defeated death and sin in order to bring us back to a right relationship with God. That He rose back to life as a signifier and guarantee of that.

There are some propositions about Jesus that are of secondary importance of course. But I think belief in certain essential facts about Him is necessary for our belief in Him to have any meaning outside ourselves. And thus necessary for our Salvation.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a great thread - well done.

My suggestion would be to acknowledge that 'liberals' really aren't all that liberal; that their universe view is hardly demonstrably larger than the 'conservatives' they routinely disdain.

It would be a start.

Alternatively, FOAD. [Razz]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by moron:
What a great thread - well done.

My suggestion would be to acknowledge that 'liberals' really aren't all that liberal; that their universe view is hardly demonstrably larger than the 'conservatives' they routinely disdain.

It would be a start.

Alternatively, FOAD. [Razz]

And the prize for the least helpful post on the thread goes to...

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
quote:

While that is true in part, I think its more helpful to realise that belief includes both allegience to, and knowledge of. Without assenting to the propositions of Christianity about Jesus then who are we putting our faith in?.

Our belief in Jesus needs to be firmly rooted in the reality of the actual historical man who lived, died and rose again. Belief in Jesus has to mean not only belief in the ideas that Jesus represents, but also belief in certain facts about Jesus. That He was God, that He was sinless, that he was born as a man among His people as one of us, that He died for the World, and that He defeated death and sin in order to bring us back to a right relationship with God. That He rose back to life as a signifier and guarantee of that.

There are some propositions about Jesus that are of secondary importance of course. But I think belief in certain essential facts about Him is necessary for our belief in Him to have any meaning outside ourselves. And thus necessary for our Salvation.

Really? Then that's salvation for the severely learning-disabled off of the table then, isn't it?

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
[qb] I do not think being a follower of Jesus is about signing up to a series of propositions about him.

I agree. It is about Christ living in you. It is about God's spirit joining with your human spirit to make a new creation, a new life.

If you take that as a statement of reality, rather than as a clever metaphor, it puts a different complexion on Christianity.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
...I think its more helpful to realise that belief includes both allegience to, and knowledge of. Without assenting to the propositions of Christianity about Jesus then who are we putting our faith in?

Really? Then that's salvation for the severely learning-disabled off of the table then, isn't it?
I agree with Karl. The ability to becoming a Christian should be accessible to everyone, not limited to those with a high intellectual ability.

Consider the proposition that "becoming a Christian" is a straightforward ontological change caused by the human voluntarily inviting God's spirit to join with their human spirit. This is accessible to (almost+) anyone. What God chooses to do in union with the human, after the ontological change, is a secondary issue, and will depend on the life situation, intellectual ability and other talents of the human.

-DS

(+)It seems obvious to me that those who are incapable of accessing such an ontological change (e.g., babies) must be catered for in other ways. My theology has little room for the doctrine of original sin.

[ 10. September 2013, 13:11: Message edited by: Dal Segno ]

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For me it's not important what you "believe", but what you do.

If Jesus's teaching was anything to go by, that seemed to be largely what was important to him, too. When he was gathering his disciples and followers around him, during his time on earth, it's not certain - or even implied - that they had any notion of a virgin birth concept related to Jesus; the resurrection, while adverted to by Jesus in mysterious terms,, was apparently either misunderstood and/or undoubtedly hadn't taken place at that stage. Though one assumes that some people were converted post-resurrection by the presence of the risen Christ.

Again, interesting to think what the resurrection story did for those who followed Christ faithfully pre-death/resurrection, but who were doubtful of it. It's one thing to truly place faith in an apparent miracle-worker and man of God. It's another to buy every wild tale of supernatural revivification going, even about your hero.

It would be interesting to know what the 'orthodox' view of those early followers of Christ would be. Did they only become Christians after his death and resurrection and they not only affirmed a belief in these things, but also his divinity? When Jesus told the penitent thief he would be in paradise with Christ that day, in which way did the thief conform to ecclesial doctrinally correct belief in the Son of God to merit his eternal salvation? Or was his humble and open-hearted relationship with the man Jesus (God as he was) actually enough?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
[qb] I do not think being a follower of Jesus is about signing up to a series of propositions about him.

I agree. It is about Christ living in you. It is about God's spirit joining with your human spirit to make a new creation, a new life.

If you take that as a statement of reality, rather than as a clever metaphor, it puts a different complexion on Christianity.

A statement of reality? The trouble I have with that is that spirit translates pneuma (in the New Testament), which means wind or air or breath. When the New Testament uses pneuma, though, it is obviously usually using it metaphorically.

So God's spirit joining with my human spirit is metaphorical to the very bottom.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know, I think seeing Jesus merely as the greatest human ever doesn't put enough distance between how I feel about him and how I feel about Gandhi.

For me, belief in the Easter story is essential before I can call myself Christian, while belief in the Christmas story is more optional. Not that I personally find the virgin birth hard to believe at all.

That doesn't mean that people who don't believe either story shouldn't be welcome in church, just that I feel I have to hold myself to belief in the resurrection. I would find Hatless' definition (at 7:24) too hard. I already have to put up with non-Christian friends and relatives telling me that I'm not as nice as I should be considering I call myself a Christian and I explain that it means I believe in Jesus not that I'm like Jesus.

I'm not at all worried that I'll pass the news stand some day and see the National Geographic with a big cover story about evidence that Jesus was spotted in Thessalonica twenty years CE. Art experts can't always detect the fakes and medical science can't make up it's mind about whether we should eat eggs or not. I would just think they were wrong.

[ 10. September 2013, 13:16: Message edited by: Twilight ]

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:
quote:

This.
But how do you know who or what you're giving allegiance to?
Tricky. We don't have certainty about this. It's Jesus Christ, of course, about whom I first learnt with the aid of flannelgraph and pipe cleaners. I got the gist of what he was about from church, family and the culture around me. Later I read the gospels and studied biblical scholarship.

There's hardly anything interesting that I know about Jesus that I'm completely sure of, but I'm highly confident of the sort of person he was, and that's enough. I put my faith in him.

He's not just my property. I know about him through others who call themselves his followers, and their devotion is expressed in different ways. They call him Son of God, Second Person of the Trinity, 'my comfort, my shelter,' Judge of the Living and the Dead, Rod of Jesse, etc. Some of these I like, some I leave. I wouldn't make them into propositions I have to accept about him. They are other people's expressions of faith.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I don't know, I think seeing Jesus merely as the greatest human ever doesn't put enough distance between how I feel about him and how I feel about Gandhi.

I think that would make you a Unitarian (and they're fairly fond of Gandhi as well) [Biased]
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
But that was for the early believers. 2000 years ago. 100 generations of Christian ago. Haven't we had more time to reflect on these events since then and develop our understanding of what happened and what it meant?

I guess what I got from Karl's post is that he holds Jesus in high regard, but finds a lot of the other Biblical/Christian beliefs hard to accept. Starting with the basics - what did the first Christians know when they chose to follow Christ - is a good enough place to start. Certainly the early Gentile followers wouldn't have known much about the Old Testament teachings, suggesting to me that it's not a "requirement" to believe that Genesis 1 or Noah's Ark are literal.

The Resurrection I don't see how one can get around, but if he can filter out some of the other issues that he has issues with, that might help somehow.

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

Third, I would ask you to consider importance first, then truth, and where you see little importance to be generous about demanding the truth.

I've never really understood the difference between, the separateness of, the first and third persons of the Trinity. So I'm not really sure what I mean when I say I believe in the Trinity. Is that important?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Holy Smoke
Shipmate
# 14866

- Posted      Profile for Holy Smoke     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I really want to know.

I don't think you're ever going to get validation for your liberal beliefs from those who are staunchly conservative - they're never going to say, "yes, it's perfectly OK to be a Christian even though you don't believe in the Resurrection", are they? The most you can expect is that your beliefs are accepted (or at least tolerated) at the church which you attend yourself. In your average, mainstream church, people don't go around asking nosey and impertinent questions about other peoples' faith, and vicars are perfectly used to people having 'doubts' about some or all of the main tenets of Christianity. Perhaps you just have to get used to the fact that they're people who disagree with you. [Biased]
Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Holy Smoke:
quote:

I really want to know.

I don't think you're ever going to get validation for your liberal beliefs from those who are staunchly conservative - they're never going to say, "yes, it's perfectly OK to be a Christian even though you don't believe in the Resurrection", are they? The most you can expect is that your beliefs are accepted (or at least tolerated) at the church which you attend yourself. In your average, mainstream church, people don't go around asking nosey and impertinent questions about other peoples' faith, and vicars are perfectly used to people having 'doubts' about some or all of the main tenets of Christianity. Perhaps you just have to get used to the fact that they're people who disagree with you. [Biased]
Missing the point. I know that they don't agree with me, by definition. I'm just curious as to what they want us to actually do, given that we can't make ourselves believe things.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Missing the point. I know that they don't agree with me, by definition. I'm just curious as to what they want us to actually do, given that we can't make ourselves believe things.

Pray! Pray for the gift of faith, for wisdom and guidance in understanding why the Bible is communicating in a way you find hard to take seriously.
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about the whole idea of 'taking things on trust'? Things that we're not sure about or which we have difficulty believing (either from an intellectual or visceral emotional POV or both)?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do people mean by taking things on trust? I once said to someone that I could now say all of the Apostles Creed and mean it as Truth. I just didn't take two lines completely literally. He said he had been the same way for years until he decided to take it on trust and decide to believe it. It was only a while later that I realized I had no idea what he really meant.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
What do people mean by taking things on trust? I once said to someone that I could now say all of the Apostles Creed and mean it as Truth. I just didn't take two lines completely literally. He said he had been the same way for years until he decided to take it on trust and decide to believe it. It was only a while later that I realized I had no idea what he really meant.

Nor me.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You should be as much a part of the life of the Church as you can manage. You can stand at the door as long as you like, but the Church will continue to invite you inside to the fulness of the truth. What it cannot do is compromise on this truth. The Church stands or falls on the truth of those doctrines.

On the other hand, "believing without confidence" is more than you think. Faith is, after all, believing simply because "the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it," and no other reason.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

Pray! Pray for the gift of faith, for wisdom and guidance in understanding why the Bible is communicating in a way you find hard to take seriously.
And when that doesn't work, SS? What do you want us to do then? And what do you expect us to do in the meantime?

The point of my question is not "how can we become sure of all these truths like you?", it's "given that we're not, what do you expect us to do in the church?" When we're told we're destroying the church, as in the posts in the OP on this thread, my reaction is "Ah. So you are trying to blackmail us into one of pretending we believe what you do, shutting up, or disappearing altogether. So which is it?"

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
And when that doesn't work, SS? What do you want us to do then? And what do you expect us to do in the meantime?

The point of my question is not "how can we become sure of all these truths like you?", it's "given that we're not, what do you expect us to do in the church?" When we're told we're destroying the church, as in the posts in the OP on this thread, my reaction is "Ah. So you are trying to blackmail us into one of pretending we believe what you do, shutting up, or disappearing altogether. So which is it?"

Karl - I don't really care what you do, nor do I have any expectations of your behavior. You asked a question, I gave an answer. Apparently you're addressing someone who has said if you don't believe X or Y then you shouldn't be attending church or calling yourself a Christian. That's their problem surely, not yours?

In the meantime you should do as you like. I'm sure there are people in the pews on Sunday next to me who share your views. Everyone's at a different place, and that's OK. I don't think people should be hooked up to a polygraph and asked to recite the creeds when the walk into a service.

[ 10. September 2013, 14:25: Message edited by: seekingsister ]

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:

Nor me.
It means to come to a realisation that my finite brain cannot hope to entirely comprehend all of the infinite Godhead and therefore to accept that limitation and choose to believe that which has been revealed as Truth nevertheless.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for starting this thread, Karl. Theologically we seem to be in a similar place.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:

Well, Mr LB, you are destroying the church, if Zach82 is right to say 'the Church stands or falls on the truth of those doctrines', the doctrines you're finding it difficult to subscribe to.

If, however, that view isn't right, well I'm not exactly sure what it means for folks like Karl who can't sign up to all those doctrines, but surely there is at least room for them to be welcomed into the church? (Involvement in leadership etc. might be a bridge too far, I don't know.) Belonging before believing is the right way to go, IMO.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016