homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » δy/δx (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  35  36  37 

Source: (consider it) Thread: δy/δx
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mean old other board hosts told you to take your tangents elsewhere? Think fall and book link are fun, but would really like to write more? Well, Your Good Friend Ariston has just the thing for you!

The rules for this are simple: each post has to pursue a tangent from the one above it. I don't want to see anyone remaining on topic—if it would drive a Purg host round the bend or cause Marvin to pull his hair out, it goes here. Actually continue a discussion, though, and I'll have to ask you to take it somewhere else.

And before anyone asks, the thread title—"delta why over delta ex"—is a representation of the first derivative of a line—that is, a continuous, never-ending tangent. Think about that.

[ 17. February 2013, 19:52: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope Marvin does not start pulling his hair out, because it is such lovely hair. Matching the beard and all. Tousley and boyish. But Trichotillomania is nothing to sniff at, and my prayers are at the ready.
Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] That Kelly gets over her sniffles.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of sniffing, there are a huge number of sinus infections going on right now around me, why is that? It's like there's a plot or something.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reading this new book. It's really large. Tons of pages but I tell you, there is no plot at all. It just keeps going on and on and the whole book is set in one apartment building and some sort of a ghost is in each place. I really don't know why I am bothering with this book.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, haunted apartment buildings can be really interesting places. I was once in an apartment building that may have been haunted—okay, it was really more of a rowhouse, and I'm not so much sure if it was haunted or if the radiator made funny noises, but that's all beside the point—but, at any rate, we had a few interesting schindigs there. I think at least one of them involved giving former English public schoolboys tequila.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of apartments, I think it's fascinating the names we have for apartments: apartments, flats, condos,... There are probably many others. In New York City, you can buy an apartment, but in many other places, if you buy it, it's called a condominium. Too interesting.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about too interesting, but did anyone see Quite Interesting with Stephen Fry last night? Unmissable television. [Smile]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is becoming apparent to me that I can no longer eat fried things. Which makes me terribly sad. One of my favorites has always been fried shrimp. Such a yummy, decadent meal, and now I have to avoid them. Bacon is on the no-no list, too. Oh, dear. I just remembered that fried chicken will not be on my plate anymore.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of plates, David Freese of the Cardinals is at the plate right now, but I expect the Giants' Vogelsong to strike him out.

Regardless of my interest in this particular National League game (and the always entertaining spectacle of pitchers at bat), my true interests are here: Go Yankees! Even though I fear it's going to be Go Home Yankees, and Tigers in four.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pitcher of homemade pink lemonade sounds awfully good right now! With peanut butter cookies! Yum!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sitting through a baseball match was the least interesting thing I did when I spent a week in New York. In fact, it was probably the least interesting thing I've done in my entire life. [Snore]

I'd rather watch paint dry, especially the paint on the new siding that's being put on my house.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry - cross-post. [Hot and Hormonal]

PS How do you make your own pink lemonade?

[ 16. October 2012, 02:24: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

I see what you're trying to do there. You're trying to start a discussion by asking what you'd get if you added maraschino cherry juice to a pitcher of otherwise ordinary homemade lemonade. I'm not going to fall for it! A lesser shipmate might; even I might, were I not so strong.

You all can thank me later.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it odd how some people are natural thankers and others rarely consider it - to an extent I think it is a cultural phenomenon.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Phenomenon" -- I remember going to see that and thinking, "Good Lord, has Travolta ever lost muscle tone!"

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here some forms of music use not just semitones but quarter tones! It gets to be very confusing!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While in Buffalo a few days ago, I noticed a vending machine bearing a huge sign that read "OOT OF ORDER!"
It seems there were too many Canadian quarters in it; and Americans always notice that Canadians say "aboot" instead of "about" and "oot" instead of "out."
Funny how even their machines note that, if Canadian quarters are used in them!

[ 16. October 2012, 04:08: Message edited by: Loquacious beachcomber ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what I look for in a boot? A side zip. Laces alone don't cut it. Especially ones that undo all the time-- don't you hate that? Anyway, I like to tie mine and double knot them, and fussing around with unlacing them every night is a pain in the ass. so-- side zips. Gotta love 'em.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think Shakespeare's use of the aside must have been particularly useful in the days when there were wasn't really much in the way of scenery.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heaven for scenery, Hell for company, as they say. John Martin painted both, but I think his heart was more with the disasters than the eternal bliss, don't you?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Neighbour Boy™ took me to see some Housemartins nests a few weeks ago - a marvel of design and construction.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the Housemartins.

Pause to "think for a minute" before responding ..

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever I hear the Minute Waltz (Chopin), I'm drawn to memories of the radio show Just a Minute, where contestants had to talk for a minute without hesitiation, repetion or deviation. This thread completely reverses the idea, at least where deviation is concerned.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Ooooh, waltzing! Watching as Ariston the Two Left Footed becomes Sir Graceful himself! Ladies (especially young and beautiful ones with commitment issues), be warned!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I don't think I want a commitment after my death, I'd rather leave my body to science.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently the French equivalent of the English term "French leave" (to be absent without permission) translates as "English leave".

[ 16. October 2012, 07:16: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absence makes the hair grow longer, as they say in barbering circles. Reminds me I must make an appointment with the hairdresser before the Old English Sheepdog look takes hold.
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone see that three-legged sheepdog on Countryfile?
Although she seemed to be enjoying working, shouldn't the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection of Animals) be taking an "interest"?

[ 16. October 2012, 07:45: Message edited by: Morlader ]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's interesting how easy it is to 'take an interest'. Have you tried baking a different cake every week and getting your friends to critique it? Great fun!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of fun with cake, it's good going out for coffee on a sunny morning at a weekend, and watching the world go by, from your seat at a table just outside the cafe. Of course, it's less fun when it's raining, but on a cold day the steam from the coffee does curl up very photogenically into the air.
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like the steam from a steam train. As of 2011, the UK had over 100 steam railways situated throughout the British Isles and the Isle of Man. That included more than 1,300 working steam locomotives, around 500 miles of track and more than 350 stations. During 2008 these carried over 6 million passengers.

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all very well there being an Isle of Man, and even an Isle of Dogs and an Isle of Grain, but where's the Isle of Women?
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isla St Clair, whatever happened to her? Remember her in the Generation Game?

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my best friends went to Clare College. I wonder if he has ever been back.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to college seems a good idea. I just can't work out which subject to study.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

This study is a complete tip and has been for years - one day I'll get around to tidying it.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a cleaner! The guilt of not cleaning was destroying me from the inside, but now I am as light as air.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

One of the local electrical shops has a wonderful LED floodlight that I am sorely tempted to get for lighting the front yard at night.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When measuring things, I sometimes find it useful to know that a yard is roughly the distance from my fingertips to my nose, if I have my arm outstretched.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone recommend a good cleaner to remove moss from the flagstones in our back yard?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's funny, I was just trying to remember when was the last time I'd seen a flag flying up high on a castle. And then I noticed the logo for The Circus: it's got 3 flags sitting up there!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Standing is becoming a problem, these days. I find myself sitting down quite suddenly. Arthritis does that, when it's in the hips.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shall we have a shipmeet to repaint Castell Coch? This pretty little building just north of Cardiff is looking a bit drab nowadays.

edit: for repint, read repaint.

[ 16. October 2012, 11:56: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

A bunch of us flew down to Cardiff for a meeting once. Did you know its airport is in the next county - possibly even the next country? And sod all in the way of taxis: a couple of senior people grabbed the one available and the rest of us huddled at the bus stop. In the rain.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I flew off the handle last week. Very distressing - good thing I don't do it too often.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Distressing furniture is a technique used by dodgy antique sellers to pass things off as older.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As I get older I take most things far less seriously than I did in my impetuous youth.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Now, some would say that taking things seriously is a sign of overserious youth. I'm not so sure of this, mind you, but I'm not unsure of it, either—and there is the part of me that's looking forward to being old so that everyone else thinks I'm old and senile. The trick would be to walk the line between getting away with about anything because "oh, that's just old man A, let him be" and getting locked up, key thrown away. Annoying the neighbors is fine, making the non-existant kids groan is better (especially because the same antics would amuse the grandkids), but getting thrown in the pokey isn't.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grandkids are wonderful, I have a little 10 month old granddaughter and she is the most beautiful baby in the world. [Smile]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  35  36  37 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016