homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anyone know the book Toxic Charity?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anyone know the book Toxic Charity?
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A local church is using it for book club discussion next month. Wondering of anyone here knows the book and has thoughts.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I looked it up at Amazon. It's apparently quite new and there are no reviews for it. I would check Amazon in a week or so.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belle, the title sounds interesting. I will keep and eye out for it.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a couple of reviews:

one review

another review

They both quote:
quote:
Never do for the poor what they have (or could have) the capacity to do for themselves

Limit one-way giving to emergency situations

Strive to empower the poor through employment, lending, and investing, using grants sparingly to reinforce achievements

subordinate self-interests to the needs of those being served

listen closely to those you seek to help, especially to what is not being said

Above all, do no harm (Toxic Charity, 128)

I agree with the view that there can be a lot of self-serving and self-interest in charitable work.
It seems like a very good book for a church group.

[ 04. October 2013, 15:18: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Charity is thrice cursed:
It curses him that receives; and him that gives; and him that does not give.

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
Charity is thrice cursed:
It curses him that receives; and him that gives; and him that does not give.

I like it!

I realize there's a problem with creating dependency, but did Jesus say to give only to the deserving poor? I do think people sometimes decide what will make them feel good to give instead of finding out what the real need is.

Yup might be an interesting church discussion.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LucyP
Shipmate
# 10476

- Posted      Profile for LucyP     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a tangent, but Eleanor Porter wrote an amusing (if corny) novel nearly a century ago about the pitfalls of charity, Oh, money! money! , which is free on kindle or via gutenberg.

The story is of a millionaire who has no close family, and wants to see if his distant relatives are worthy of inheriting his money - so he gives them a "taster" and secretly observes how they spend it.

There are 2 contrasting female characters, one who (when unexpected wealth is lavished on her) indiscriminately gives money to anyone who asks (with dire consequences), and one who generously assists people in need, usually by non-financial means -with much better results.

It's all a bit dated, but still an instructive picture of the principles of helpful versus toxic charity.

Posts: 235 | From: my sanctuary | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016