homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Leo the coward

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Leo the coward
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You push and you push and you push on a single point, and when somebody calls you on it, and you have absolutely no response to give because your position is full of shit, you call it a tangent and say you won't talk about it until that person opens another thread.

Fucking coward. Your theology is more tangled than the inside of a bull's testicle but less life-giving.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Leo lacks in understanding, he more than makes up for in confidence. We could all learn that from him, if nothing else.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
What Leo lacks in understanding, he more than makes up for in confidence. We could all learn that from him, if nothing else.

Don't see it. Confidence is plowing on, not saying, "Oh, this is a tangent. I refuse to play anymore." That's not confidence. That's cowardice.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dunno. I think it takes loads of confidence to set oneself up as the expert of a subject one knows nothing about, and then carry on like the authority of the matter even when one's ignorance has been made plain to everyone. Leo does that every day, and it's amazing, I say. He might never have anything to contribute, but he never admits defeat.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
he never admits defeat.

Yeah, he just quits when it's clear he's lost.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's an interesting way to have no losses in a season and just have 'game abandoned at half time while trailing 3-0' instead.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Isn't that a strategy in several online multi-player games?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Dunno. I have never played online multi-player games. Maybe that's my problem. Leo thinks this is a multi-player game. I think it's meant to be a discussion of knowledge, facts, truth, and opinions.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And your problem is that Leo has opinions?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Did you read the OP, or just the thread title? I made it plain what my problem was, and it's not that Leo has opinions. Zach understood what I was saying, and he's far from my biggest fan. Try again.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Opinions like, 'Oh, I think someone should open a new thread for me on the same subject so that I can respond to the postings I made on an initial thread' seem slightly problematic on a discussion forum such as this.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Oh look! fletcher christian gets it, too.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Dunno. I have never played online multi-player games. Maybe that's my problem. Leo thinks this is a multi-player game. I think it's meant to be a discussion of knowledge, facts, truth, and opinions.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You push and you push and you push on a single point, and when somebody calls you on it, and you have absolutely no response to give because your position is full of shit, you call it a tangent and say you won't talk about it until that person opens another thread.

Not at all - the meaning of Paul's take on resurrection really belongs in kerygmania.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In that case, it's not appropriate material for Purg, or if you are not willing to discuss it in Purg, then it's pretty pointless your introducing it into the discussion. If it's part of the argument you want to make, then it can be discussed there. I guess if the hosts think it's getting too Keryg., then they'll move it. Otherwise you introduce a point in support of a certain POV, others want to discuss whether it does in fact support that POV, and you say 'No, it can't be discussed here'. It doesn't make for a very meaningful conversation.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
he never admits defeat.

Yeah, he just quits when it's clear he's lost.
Seems reasonable.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Not at all - the meaning of Paul's take on resurrection really belongs in kerygmania.
Then why did you bring it up?

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Because you failed to engage with the material i posted but merely made a priori assertions that there cannot be any contradictions. i pointed out what they were and you continued to disengage.

That is why it is cowardly of you to take the issue to Hell because you can continue to disengage and merely do some name-calling.

A new thread devoted to exegesis of what is in the text rather than what you would like to be there might actually get somewhere.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A new thread devoted to exegesis of what is in the text rather than what you would like to be there might actually get somewhere.

... but you're not going to start one because if he wants to discuss it, he should start it?
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Because you failed to engage with the material i posted but merely made a priori assertions that there cannot be any contradictions. i pointed out what they were and you continued to disengage.

That is why it is cowardly of you to take the issue to Hell because you can continue to disengage and merely do some name-calling.

As far as I know (and can be bothered to find out) the existing thread, from which this thread is derived, is still open. As much of the material on which such an exegesis would be based is in there, any constructive discussion can go right back to Purgatory on that thread. There is, AFAICT, no need for yet another thread.

Meanwhile, continue your scheduled name-calling right here.

Thank you.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this why Leo chose his name?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
I guess if the hosts think it's getting too Keryg., then they'll move it.

Yes. Or put a post up saying 'please move this part of the discussion to Kerygmania'.

I forget the part that leo evidently saw, where there was an announcement that the Bible ought not be mentioned in Purgatory. Seems a bit of a stretch, even for a website that is not A Christian Website.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

I didn't disengage, you coward, YOU did. You started a discussion about Paul's understanding of the resurrection, then refused to talk about it after it got going and somebody called you on your bullshit. "Oops I'm losing this argument. What can I do? I know, I'll tell them I won't discuss it here because it's a subject for another thread."

Coward.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leo does A.
You call Leo on doing A.
Leo accuses you of doing A.

Never fails...

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know, despite everything within me screaming 'no. don't go there', I'm kind of intrigued and wondering what the response would have been. So Leo, If you really think it deserves another thread, then can you open one? Or will I do it for you?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Leo does A.
You call Leo on doing A.
Leo accuses you of doing A.

Never fails...

Ah, you noticed that too?

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

... but you're not going to start one because if he wants to discuss it, he should start it?
No - because he has already failed to engage with the material which is on the thread.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Leo, I don't see how you can have it both ways. Either there was a discussion going on that you decided to end, or there wasn't a discussion. The 2 claimed reasons you have for not continuing the subject are bordering on mutually exclusive.

Which doesn't actually surprise me, for some weird reason I thought it was worth pointing out in the wild hope you'd notice. But I haven't even finished typing this post and I realise I was living in fantasy-land for about 30 seconds.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In other news… [Cool]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

[Killing me]

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Judy dies of overdose.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Leo, I don't see how you can have it both ways. Either there was a discussion going on that you decided to end, or there wasn't a discussion. The 2 claimed reasons you have for not continuing the subject are bordering on mutually exclusive.

Which doesn't actually surprise me, for some weird reason I thought it was worth pointing out in the wild hope you'd notice. But I haven't even finished typing this post and I realise I was living in fantasy-land for about 30 seconds.

You'll see now that someone else (presumably because MT won't or can't engage with the argument) has restarted it and that i have responded in considerable detail.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Don't think too much of it, Leo. All you really did was copy/paste the footnotes of some article into the browser, click "Add reply," and then imagine you've given the world a really profound bit of game changing exegesis.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Leo:
They were not footnotes top any article.

Not sure it needs any - read the texts. I think they are self-explanatory.

More of the usual from Leo. I blame Mousethief for bothering to engage with him.

It's all MT's fault.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

No - don't judge everyone by your own standards. It's an extract from a paper 'Resurrection - symbol? event?' that i did in March, 1999

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Excuse me, but I'm a WASP. Whose standards would I judge everyone by?

quote:
It's an extract from a paper 'Resurrection - symbol? event?' that i did in March, 1999
Of COURSE it is.

[ 14. October 2013, 14:08: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Excuse me, but I'm a WASP. Whose standards would I judge everyone by?

quote:
It's an extract from a paper 'Resurrection - symbol? event?' that i did in March, 1999
Of COURSE it is.
Yes, of course it is and it also on my blog (of more recent origin).

Or are we getting into some sort of pantomime of 'Oh yes it is' and 'oh no it's not'

Would be good is w could get halloween out of the way before the panto seas on starts. Then we can vie for the role of wicked witch.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

All MT's fault.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yes, of course it is and it also on my blog (of more recent origin).

By chance, leo, do you remember the exact phrasing of the Admin's warning to you about reposting material here? Let me paraphrase for you:

If we can find anything you post here written somewhere else on the web, we're going to ban the everliving fuck out of you.

Contemplate that some during an indeterminate suspension, while I confer with the Adminisphere about whether we should make it permanent.

-RooK
ADMIN

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016